Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why was MSG not filmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Stryx View Post
    I hope that more was.....but knowing how much Colonel would charge I highly doubt it.

People just presume because Elvis played so much more must have been filmed professionally.....sadly it seems it wasn't.

As for things in private collectors hands that not much is known of.... I always am doubtful to their existence.
    This guy Mekas is a professional filmmaker-he was not known about for years and somehow he filmed with 16mm at MSG- it is claimed 40 minutes worth by Christian M.
    The short clip Mekas has on his site with Mozart music is 4 minutes long Looking at the footage( and overlooking his weird edit ) the 16mm film is as crisp as any I have seen. So I hope he truely does have 40 minutes of footage.
    I had read ABC was the one who had filmed from the start of the show thru "Polk Salad Annie" Thats what the MSG web site has said and Joe Tunzi has said he thinks this is true.
    http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/inte...unzi_jat.shtml
    Elvis Australia-We know that some professional footage was done at the opening show of Madison Square Garden on June 9th 1972. Some portions of this footage has been used on different projects but always heavily edited and without Elvisí vocal. Three years ago Dateline NBC used a short sequence for the first time with the original sound of Elvis performing "Polk Salad Annie". According to the different footages partly used on different projects and/or on T.V., they have filmed at least the following: the crowd before the show starts, The Sweet Inspirations, Elvis entering the stage, Thatís All Right, Proud Mary, You Donít Have To Say You Love Me, Youíve Lost That Loviní Feeling and Polk Salad Annie. Do you know if the show was filmed from beginning to end with matching sound ? If not, do you know how much was actually filmed and who possibly owns that footage ?

JOE: .It sounds like you have been doing your homework. This is exactly correct. I think there may be around 30 or 40 minutes of the show with matching sound. The sound quality is not the greatest but is passable. I really canít comment on who owns it.

I recall the ABC TV show "20/20" also had several shows with segments on Elvis from 1979 into the late 80s and many times they had a 25-30 second clip from MSG they used in the segments. Everytime I saw them I wondered where they were getting this pro-footage from and how they got it.
    Last edited by KPM; 12-08-2007 at 03:28 PM.

For what it's worth (and I'd suggest it's worth a lot) but over on FECC, Ger Rijff confirmed that, after an extensive search, no professional footage was found in either of the vaults in New York or Indianapolis.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    He's being pretentious, and trying to be clever, that's why.

Oh, but it's aaaaaaaaart, darling, doncha know?!
    Well its not my cup of tea-but If it appeals to others (and it must because he has won awards and made these films for over 40 years) He must enjoy making them and anyone who can make a successful living and still enjoy themselves I say more power to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryx View Post
    Charlie didn't really say much at all in his books to be very honest.
    The stories he told were nice. He didn`t have a bad word to say about anyone.
    Security is not the absence of danger but the presence of God no matter what the danger.

What do you guys make of this camera, from MSG.............to me it looks like a video camera providing a feed to a monitor, possibly.
    Just seems to me to be an unusual place to locate a security/monitor camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
    What do you guys make of this camera, from MSG.............to me it looks like a video camera providing a feed to a monitor, possibly.
    Just seems to me to be an unusual place to locate a security/monitor camera.

Stunning shot Kris, welcome aboard btw!

What do you guys make of this camera, from MSG.............to me it looks like a video camera providing a feed to a monitor, possibly. Just seems to me to be an unusual place to locate a security/monitor camera.
    Whatever it is, it is not a camera from a professional crew.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

And 16mm is not professional.

Elvis On Tour was shot on 16mm, as most likely was the KNBC Vegas footage, ie. with 16mm being the norm for 'on location' newscasts of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Car View Post
    Stunning shot Kris, welcome aboard btw!

A pleasure, Joe............and thank you for your welcome, it's a pleasure to be here!

Elvis On Tour was shot on 16mm, as most likely was the KNBC Vegas footage, ie. with 16mm being the norm for 'on location' newscasts of the day.
    I'm talking about 16mm fan-shot footage, if there's any. Unless it's filmed by MGM etc, then it's not professional.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

No fan would have been allowed to put up that camera in the pic!

And all known fan footage from those days is 8mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    No fan would have been allowed to put up that camera in the pic!

And all known fan footage from those days is 8mm.
    Indeed, Sonny. You'd think after 35 years there'd be at least one second of "pro shot" MSG stuff out there if it existed?

But there's not ... because only fans who were lucky enough to be there (and devious enough to sneak a camera in!) ever got any of the shows on video/film.

I'd suggest the camera in the pic (if it actually is a camera of course!) was an in-house thing ... maybe a video feed to the lighting people, or somewhere else. I'd also suggest that it was not a camera capable of recording anything permanently; it's a feeder camera, nothing more.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

I am with you on that Getlo, since it sure doesn't look like a type of camera they used back then.

Then again, it is very close to the stage and therefor could be a so called feeder camera. But, let's be honest, we never see these kinda things on any shots from other shows. If they were around often, we would have spotted em on more pics, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    Then again, it is very close to the stage and therefor could be a so called feeder camera. But, let's be honest, we never see these kinda things on any shots from other shows. If they were around often, we would have spotted em on more pics, right?
    You'd think so, yes.

And, as I said, none of the newspaper reviews (other than of that which we know were filmed by MGM or CBS) even slightly hints at cameras of any sort being present.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this footage shot by a TV crew at the opening show. Unless I havent read all posts in enough detail. This has been out on DVD for years now so I cant understand why its been overlooked!

Quote Originally Posted by omnipresence View Post
    I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this footage shot by a TV crew at the opening show. Unless I havent read all posts in enough detail. This has been out on DVD for years now so I cant understand why its been overlooked!
    Because it's fan-shot home movie footage, not from a TV station.

(I think part of it was included on the George Klein My Memories Of Elvis video from some years back ... ? Or whatever the title was ... )

See the footage here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sThhBPhl8bA

June 9th show. There is no matching sound for this.

Oh, and welcome, btw!
    Last edited by Getlo; 12-10-2007 at 10:51 AM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

re

Getlo is right,that's not pro footage.
    I've seen that picture a while ago too,but I thought it wasn't from MSG,but from Boston...
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

I think you'll find it is pro footage and it is by a TV station. The origional footage has sound. We have 6mins30 available which is much more than on the link. If you look around and research in a bit more detail you'll get a long way.
    You'll also see it is available on HSACC 1 by Joe Tunzi and is listed as PRO footage. I think I'll go with what Tunzi has to say at the moment. The link you posted is simply lifted off that DVD.
    Last edited by omnipresence; 12-10-2007 at 11:31 AM.

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    Because it's fan-shot home movie footage, not from a TV station.

(I think part of it was included on the George Klein My Memories Of Elvis video from some years back ... ? Or whatever the title was ... )

See the footage here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sThhBPhl8bA

June 9th show. There is no matching sound for this.

Oh, and welcome, btw!

That footage was shot by ABC and it has sound with it. It is hard to find it with the original sound. But the footage was filmed by ABC. It is told in alot of books including Elvis Day By Day. Also, EPE has even confirmed that the footage was filmed By ABC and not a fan. The footage last for 6 minutes and 32 seconds. Also, ABC even showed it earlier this year marking the death anniversary saying that ABC was one of the lucky few stations to film Elvis at MSG.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004 View Post
    That footage was shot by ABC and it has sound with it. It is hard to find it with the original sound. But the footage was filmed by ABC. It is told in alot of books including Elvis Day By Day.
    I don't know to which Day By Day you refer, but it's not listed in either of the versions I have ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly