Here is some info from a previous discussion on MSG a while back:

Originally Posted by CHRISTIAN M
    HI KPM
    You have false informations concerning this footage
    this has nothing to see withe ABC news
    i post this footage and story here fews months ago

You can see quality of 16 mm footage from J.Mekas here
    http://www.skip.at/AT/filme/trailer/...hp?filmnr=1737
    according to Jonas Mekas he film withe his 16mm camera around 40 minutes of this show
    he obtain the permit to film directly by the colonel Parker
    and send to him a copy of the 16mm footage,if the footage is now in EPE hands is the question,i aske 2 years ago to EPE but don t have appopriate reply
    Jonas Mekas is psykadelik (hope it s the good word in english) movie director
    he do many short footage in experimental style
    the clip posted from MSG is a special trailer do for a viennal festival in Austria fews years ago
    Christian M

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks, KPM. The link doesn't show anything, but I'd believe Christian.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryx View Post
    I just have a few questions about the footage that you say will be released in 2008.

Firstly what was it filmed with and secondly what is the sound quality like?

Also - who filmed it? How much did they pay Parker to do the filming and how on earth would someone who paid to film Elvis professionally manage to keep it a secret for decades , let alone the amount of money they would have lost from not exploting what they filmed.

I presume your friends didn't film or commission the piece - so they must have bought it off someone.

To me, in storys about pro Elvis footage, too much doesent make sense that should. I hope im wrong, but I don't think this will be released in 08', 09' or even by 2077.
    The footage is on tape and not film. It is on the kind of tapes that you would find in the 70s which are bigger than a VHS tape. But a TV crew film the footage. The was obtained several years ago by these guys.

The footage of Macon is in the hands who lives in south Georgia. He is a collector of many rare items. The old TV station building was bought by a person who sold everything that was inside it in a yard sale. Cameras, equipment, video tape and films that range from 16mm to 8mm. My friend bought some equipment which included some tape player and about 3000 video tapes. They were all label and three stood out the most because they said Elvis in Concert. He was figuring those tapes were of the 1977 CBS Special. When he watched them he saw completely different Elvis footage. He didn't know where these was taken at. Well a few years went by after that yard sale. He heard of me liking Elvis and having alot of knowledge on Elvis. He found me at a local flea market which I go to every weekend. He ask if I would se when these was filmed and where they was filmed at. I told him that Elvis did over 1100 shows in the 70s and the likely hood of me knowing the exact place is slim. Well, I met up with him again and I watch the video tapes. When looking at it I was amazed at one thing, it was the Macon Coliseum. I know the inside of the Macon Coliseum like the back of my hand and there it was in front of me with Elvis on stage in 1972. I told him the dates of these April 15, 1972 AS and ES. He ask how did I know. I told him that Elvis only played the Macon Coliseum with those suits he was wearing one time for the AS and ES shows. He says Ok. Viewing the last one was again amazing. I was figuring that was from his last tour (which includes the ones filmed by CBS). The beginning of the tape was of him at the Hilton Hotel. Ok, first thing pop in my head was Vegas. But the footage turned white and I am hearing the 2001 then the lights came on and again I see the Macon Coliseum with Elvis on Stage.

The guy who owns also lives in south Georgia. I met him about a year later after the guy who owns the Macon footages at the same flea market. This guy heard of me and brought up a player and the tape. He told me that he got this from a sale that a TV station had. The tape he had said Elvis 1976 show. Umm, well that got me curious and since a friend of mine had a TV we took that to his spot and watch the footage. What was odd was the song listing that I am listening to. Not quite a 1976 line up that I have been hearing. But when I heard Elvis sing Such A Night, that dawn on me that is his last Atlanta concert. Also, since it was that show the outfits that the band members wore match too - red.

Oh the sound on these would be compare to Auld Lang Syne or The King Goes Bananas. Video wish is fantastic. All of these was filmed by the TV news crew.

Okay, so it's been said that a lot of this stuff is coming out in 2008?

Mark my words here and now ...

It is December 7th here in Australia.

I'll bet that when we come back here on December 7th, 2008 ... one full year from now ... none of this supposed footage will have seen the light of day.

Another point, although it doesn't prove anything one way or the other: in all the newspaper reviews of Elvis' shows (and I have most of them) film cameras are mentioned in most of the reviews of concerts we know were filmed (eg the ones for On Tour). But in all of the other reviews - all of them, mind you - not a single review refers to cameras of any sort being present.

As the old saying goes: I'll believe it when I see it.

And I'm betting I won't!

But I'd love to be proven wrong over some of this footage ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Thanks, KPM. The link doesn't show anything, but I'd believe Christian.
    Here is The Mekas website
    http://www.jonasmekas.com/bio.php
    If you click on "Collection of 40" the Elvis clip is there.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Here is The Mekas website
    http://www.jonasmekas.com/bio.php
    If you click on "Collection of 40" the Elvis clip is there.
    Quite a biography too . Thanks .
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

That looks like a cross between a amature and Pro shot picture. That's still not one I saw. Still looking for it..grrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by TCBnAflash View Post
    That looks like a cross between a amature and Pro shot picture. That's still not one I saw. Still looking for it..grrrrr
    This guy Mekas is very weird filmmaker. The footage is intentionally sped up and cut that way-don't ask me why. The music is Mozart-don't ask me why.
    But he is a professional filmmaker-although his style is very-oblique.
    He uses only 16mm cameras and has one some awards for his weird little films. All I'm worried about is (regardless of how he sped up the film, and cut it for his "artistic work" on it is very crisp clear 16mm and reported to be about 40 minutes in length. I have always assumed he did not have permission to film- although Christian says Mekas says he did.

This guy Mekas is very weird filmmaker. The footage is intentionally sped up and cut that way-don't ask me why. The music is Mozart-don't ask me why.
    He's being pretentious, and trying to be clever, that's why.

Oh, but it's aaaaaaaaart, darling, doncha know?!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

But he is a professional filmmaker-although his style is very-oblique.
    He uses only 16mm cameras and has one some awards for his weird little films. All I'm worried about is (regardless of how he sped up the film, and cut it for his "artistic work" on it is very crisp clear 16mm and reported to be about 40 minutes in length. I have always assumed he did not have permission to film- although Christian says Mekas says he did.
    Thanks for that link, the guy has quite a biography. The clip is so different that I don't know what category to put it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Parker gave this bloke permission to film?

Hmm ... I wonder then how much he had to pay for the privilege!

And 16mm is not professional.

I wouldn't place too much stock in what Christian M says either. His website swears the '77 poolside interview is in "private hands".
    By your definition-not mine. You have always held that it has to be MGM, or CBS etc to be pro- footage. Perhaps to be authorized yes I'd agree-but having or not having the authorization does not change the quality of the film nor the crispness and clarity. I mean if all 40 minutes of this exists-are you gonna quibble that is was not MGM film? I said it before- who cares. All I know is the film you can see is clear and crisp-his edit and cuts are all thats wrong with it. If 40 minutes exists(if) it is still great footage shot by a professional filmmaker.

I mean if all 40 minutes of this exists-are you gonna quibble that is was not MGM film?
    YES !!!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

YES !!!
    I like that-Stick to your guns pal

I like that-Stick to your guns pal
    I always do. Always.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

I always do. [I]Always.[/I]
    I guess that makes 2 of us-but everyones wrong now and then.

Okay, so it's been said that a lot of this stuff is coming out in 2008?

Mark my words here and now ...

It is December 7th here in Australia.

I'll bet that when we come back here on December 7th, 2008 ... one full year from now ... none of this supposed footage will have seen the light of day.

But I'd love to be proven wrong over some of this footage ...
    I'd love to see you proven wrong too, I would love to see MORE Elvis. But like you, I won't be holding my breath.

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

but everyones wrong now and then.
    Yes, I suppose they are ...

I look forward to 2008; my DVD player is at the ready!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Yes, I suppose they are ...

I look forward to 2008; my DVD player is at the ready!
    Thats good to know.

By way of interest, here's a list of the shows that were professionally filmed:

LAS VEGAS:
    10th August 1970 OS
    11th August 1970 DS
    11th August 1970 MS
    12th August 1970 DS
    12th August 1970 MS
    13th August 1970 DS
    13th August 1970 MS
    14th August 1970 DS
    14th August 1970 MS

BUFFALO: 5th April 1972 ES - hand-held camera, one angle
    HAMPTON ROADS: 9th April 1972 ES
    RICHMOND: 10th April 1972 ES
    GREENSBORO: 14th April 1972 ES
    SAN ANTONIO: 18th April 1972 ES

LAS VEGAS: 4th September 1972 DS - partial show only, KNBC in Vegas

HONOLULU: 18th November 1972 ES - partial show only, Japanese TV

HONOLULU: 12th January 1973
    HONOLULU: 14th January 1973

OMAHA: 19th June 1977
    RAPID CITY: 21st June 1977

And that, my friends, is it!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

By way of interest, here's a list of the shows that were professionally filmed:

LAS VEGAS:
    10th August 1970 OS
    11th August 1970 DS
    11th August 1970 MS
    12th August 1970 DS
    12th August 1970 MS
    13th August 1970 DS
    13th August 1970 MS
    14th August 1970 DS
    14th August 1970 MS

BUFFALO: 5th April 1972 ES - hand-held camera, one angle
    HAMPTON ROADS: 9th April 1972 ES
    RICHMOND: 10th April 1972 ES
    GREENSBORO: 14th April 1972 ES
    SAN ANTONIO: 18th April 1972 ES

LAS VEGAS: 4th September 1972 DS - partial show only, KNBC in Vegas

HONOLULU: 18th November 1972 ES - partial show only, Japanese TV

HONOLULU: 12th January 1973
    HONOLULU: 14th January 1973

OMAHA: 19th June 1977
    RAPID CITY: 21st June 1977

And that, my friends, is it!
    My friend that is all we know for sure-I never-say never
    So IMO the door is open.

International Level
    My friend that is all we know for sure-I never-say never
    So IMO the door is open.
    I hope that more was.....but knowing how much Colonel would charge I highly doubt it.

People just presume because Elvis played so much more must have been filmed professionally.....sadly it seems it wasn't.

As for things in private collectors hands that not much is known of.... I always am doubtful to their existence.