Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why was MSG not filmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The film from the airport in Inday on June 26, 1977 looks pro shot to me. What really blew me away was when more of this surfaced a year or so ago.
    Yes, it was filmed by CBS. But they did not film the Indy show. That footage has been around for longer than a year, too.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004 View Post
    Elvis Day By Day says that Jacksonville was filmed. Also, four shows. That is also wrong. Buffalo (1), Hampton Roads AS (2), Hampton Roads ES (3), Richmond (4), Greensboro (5), Jacksonville ES (6), and San Antonion (7). That is going by Elvis Day By Day book that is in my hands right now.
    I'd still rather trust the other lists than speculation in books.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Also, Detroit was also filmed but it is not mentioned in the books. I don't know why it is not listed. And if you want proof of that, watch See See Rider on Elvis Through My Eyes Disc 1 and watch the band members outfits change colors from Light Blue to a Dark Color. So that means 8 shows filmed. Band Members dark color suits at the San Antonio concert while wore a light bluish color at Detroit.

Now, that has been discussed on here and also on FECC and the same answer came up. See See Rider is a mixture of San Antonio and Detroit.
    Hmmm ... or could it be that the lists we have of what costumes Elvis wore are inaccurate?

As for See See Rider on that DVD, let me ask you if you've considered the fact that the footage only shows one angle (light blue backing groups suits) from Detroit very briefly walking up to the mic stand, then meshes in with San Antonio (dark blue backing suits as seen in On Tour, various angles).

That raises the possibility that Detroit was only filmed with one camera, as like Buffalo. Also, the Detroit one-angle footage is dubbed with sound from San Antonio. So, if it was filmed properly by MGM, why hasn't any footage with sound surfaced over the years - like the footage from all four of the "officially filmed" shows?

The same question applies to the other shows you say were filmed, eg Jacksonville etc. Where is the footage?

For those that haven't seen what Elvislennon is talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=264q2isG1cM

Also, several other locations were filmed backstage, at hotels, in limos etc. The footage here shows Elvis backstage in Detroit (his hair has more of a fringe than when he walks on stage in what we know to be San Antonio); then it shows him walking on stage in San Antonio; then back to Detroit again briefly from one angle (with the little counter at the bottom again) then the San Antonio version of See See Rider.

So it's a distinct possibility that the same one camera in Detroit followed him to the stage and kept filming (the light blue backing suits footage). There is no evidence that Detroit was filmed properly (ie more than this one camera) by MGM - unless there is more footage from other DVDs?

And why is it that the books you are reading are any more correct than the ones I have? All of these reference books have mistakes.

I shall be very interested when the DVD of On Tour eventually comes out, and to see what EPE puts in it.
    Last edited by Getlo; 12-12-2007 at 06:19 AM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Another point (although it's more in relation to audio and video) ... why have only four soundboards surfaced over the years? If other shows were recorded (audio or visual) why have they not surfaced?

LIVE IN VIRGINIA / THE HAMPTON CONCERT (April 9, 1972 ES)
    CARRY ME BACK TO OLD VIRGINIA (April 10, 1972 ES)
    THE GREENSBORO CONCERT / SWEET CAROLINA (April 14, 1972 ES)
    WELCOME IN SAN ANTONE (April 18, 1972 ES)
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Hmmm ... or could it be that the lists we have of what costumes Elvis wore are inaccurate?

As for See See Rider on that DVD, let me ask you if you've considered the fact that the footage only shows one angle (light blue backing groups suits) from Detroit very briefly walking up to the mic stand, then meshes in with San Antonio (dark blue backing suits as seen in On Tour, various angles).

That raises the possibility that Detroit was only filmed with one camera, as like Buffalo. Also, the Detroit one-angle footage is dubbed with sound from San Antonio. So, if it was filmed properly by MGM, why hasn't any footage with sound surfaced over the years - like the footage from all four of the "officially filmed" shows?

The same question applies to the other shows you say were filmed, eg Jacksonville etc. Where is the footage?

For those that haven't seen what Elvislennon is talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=264q2isG1cM

Also, several other locations were filmed backstage, at hotels, in limos etc. The footage here shows Elvis backstage in Detroit (his hair has more of a fringe than when he walks on stage in what we know to be San Antonio); then it shows him walking on stage in San Antonio; then back to Detroit again briefly from one angle (with the little counter at the bottom again) then the San Antonio version of See See Rider.

So it's a distinct possibility that the same one camera in Detroit followed him to the stage and kept filming (the light blue backing suits footage). There is no evidence that Detroit was filmed properly (ie more than this one camera) by MGM - unless there is more footage from other DVDs?

And why is it that the books you are reading are any more correct than the ones I have? All of these reference books have mistakes.

I shall be very interested when the DVD of On Tour eventually comes out, and to see what EPE puts in it.

Their is more than one camera angle. First is when Elvis arrives at the and gets his guitar and so on. That is one angle. The other comes from the edge of the stage. To point this out too, Detrot's Olympia Stadium had a small wall that would of been behind the backup singers. The fans is not to far from that wall. Now, in order for that cameraman to get to that angle he would of had to walked between John and Kathy just like Elvis did to get to that spot. I know some people who went to that show and never remembers a person with a camera doing that.
    Any way, you look at it that is professional footage and has to be counted. So it has more than two camera angles. Which I can provide the photos to prove that if you want me to. It has to be counted.
    If that isn't professional footage what is it then, I would like to know that? It has MGM's counter on it.

Jacksonville ES is seen on the outtakes that is 8 DVD set but it is only a few seconds worth. Again, that tells that it was filmed professionally. It to has sound dubbed on it, but that has nothing to do with that because it is still professional footage and again has to be counted. Just like August 15, 1970 show from TTWII, that too has to be counted. In the footage he is wearing the fridge suit. Match it up with the other footage and see if they are in sync with each other. I have and guess what they are not. So that means they are from two different shows. You wonder why footage hasn't been release with sound on it. Most of the TTWII footage has no sound with it and the sound had to be dubbed on to it. MGM went they do a concert film, they filmed the show slience and record the audio separate.

But again, Who cares if it has sound to it. Who cares if it has one angle or ten angles to it. The Detroit Concert was filmed professionally, case closed. Buffalo Concert was filmed professionally case closed.

Also, at the beginning of I Got A Woman/Amen. There is another shot from another show added to that one. It might be Buffalo but I am not for sure though. Anyone, what was the color that the Band Members were wearing?
    In the footage it is white suits. But at Hampton Roads they wore dark color suits.

About, the audio for the imports. Those are the MGM sound tapes for Elvis On Tour which comes fro Elvis' sound engineer. Those are owned by MGM. So they are in the Salt Mine in Kansas. So that means the others are their too. Now, if you want to look through the millions of reels in the salt mine. Be my guest........ I am not doing it and neither is anybody else unless they get paid for doing it. Just because they haven't been release you don't think they exists. MGM keeps tight on what is release and what is not release.

EPE has nothing to do with Elvis On Tour at all. That is MGM's movie. They have no say so. So that means don't get you hopes up on outtakes being release because that might not happen at all. That has been discussed on here and FECC and the same thing is said.

Mad Tigers
    Yes, it was filmed by CBS. But they did not film the Indy show. That footage has been around for longer than a year, too.
    I know it's been around for longer than a year, considering this particular footage was aired originally in the united kingdom back in the 70's when it originally aired there. Where is the proof that the last show wasn't filmed professionally? I don't see anymore proof that it wasn't filmed just like I don't see the proof that it was filmed. Where are you getting your information from? Or is it just speculation?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Where is the proof that the last show wasn't filmed professionally?
    Where is the proof that it was?

Ger Rijff himself confirmed what a CBS executive told him, when Ger attended the Indy show. Yes, they filmed crowd scenes and Elvis arriving at the airport. No, they did not film the actual show.

So, any issues ... take it up with Mr Rijff.

And in the Indy fan-shot footage ... are there any CBS lights? Any cameramen running around? Is Elvis wearing TV makeup?

No, on all three counts.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Their is more than one camera angle. First is when Elvis arrives at the and gets his guitar and so on. That is one angle. The other comes from the edge of the stage.
    I've just looked at the footage again (from the YouTube link I posted) ... I see one angle while rabbing the mic stand, then - a little while later - a shot from farther forward on the stage, presumably taken by the same camera.

Also, I see no other cameras in front or to the side of Elvis as he comes out during the Detroit footage.

Can't wait for EOT on DVD.

And yes, you've said a thousand times that EPE does not own the footage to On Tour. We know that. But they are the ones who are going to have input when it finally does get a release.
    Last edited by Getlo; 12-12-2007 at 05:58 PM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Also, at the beginning of I Got A Woman/Amen. There is another shot from another show added to that one.
    You mean in the movie itself?
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

I'd still rather trust the other lists than speculation in books.
    We have allready seen footage from all these shows. Since you say Jacksonville dosent count because it's limo footage I'll remove it. Either way we have at least 5.
    1 Hampton Roads
    2 Greensboro
    3 Buffallo
    4 Detroit
    5 Richmond

I might add Hampton Roads AS to the list as well (Burning Love suit; kissing the woman with the ghastly blonde high hair - at least this bit was filmed).

For what it's worth, Joe Tunzi () said:

"The footage from many of the cities on the April ‘72 tour was done strictly on assignment, whereas someone from the production of the film was sent with a camera to film something the producer was looking for, whether that be something as mundane as a city limits sign along the highway, interviewing a local mayor in Roanoke, entering the stage or leaving the stage, Elvis dropping down on one knee or even holding up a pair of women’s panties while on stage. A prime example of this is the sign outside the T.H. Barton Coliseum in Little Rock, Arkansas was shot but the show wasn’t shot. These clips were added to the shows where a good majority of the show was filmed and recorded (Hampton Roads, Richmond, Greensboro and San Antonio) to fully illustrate a sense of Elvis going from city to city."

And (on a previous tangent):

"I’ve heard the rumor about this being filmed and it continually gets repeated but I seriously doubt that Boston (1971) was filmed professionally. Also, is this actually professional footage or is it merely amateur footage shot by an audience member. I have come to the conclusion that at the Madison Square Garden press conference when Elvis was asked about this, the person who posed the question simply meant to say Buffalo instead of Boston, which makes more sense since cameras were in Buffalo at the beginning of the April ‘72 tour which filmed Elvis rehearsing."
    Last edited by Getlo; 12-12-2007 at 10:18 AM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by omnipresence View Post
    1 Hampton Roads
    2 Greensboro
    3 Buffalo - brief ten-second karate sequence only; filmed with Robert Abel's Sony camera. Also shown in This Is Elvis.
    4 Detroit - you mean San Antonio; Detroit was not in the final film.
    5 Richmond

Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Actually there's more than that, the Karate segment is the only part that was released on the film. Besides even if it was it should still count. It is pro fooage by MGM. Yeah I mean San Antonio I was writing a longer list with limo footage etc but I forgot to change Detroit for San Antonio. Because we only have a short amount of footage of Detroit I perfectly understand your hesitation in accepting it as footage from this particular show.
    Last edited by omnipresence; 12-12-2007 at 10:25 AM.

Actually there's more than that, the Karate segment is the only part that was released on the film. Besides even if it was it should still count. It is pro fooage by MGM.
    I assumed he meant the actual final film. Again, we're going around in circles here, but it was Abel filming that show for himself, with his own camera.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

I understood that it was to show camera men of how Elvis performed on stage as communication would be near impossible during filming. Maybe he made a copy for his own personall use, who knows

I understood that it was to show camera men of how Elvis performed on stage as communication would be near impossible during filming.
    It was. And to give Adidge and Abel and idea of what was to come when they started filming for real ... with MGM cameras. And nobody has any idea if the whole of Buffalo was filmed, or how much footage is left. There is no reason to assume the footage went to MGM, because it wasn't really there's in the first place, if you follow me.

Maybe he made a copy for his own personall use, who knows
    We can only hope so ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Well I know that a minimum of 25 mins was filmed so there's hope!

You mean in the movie itself?
    Exactly, Or watch Through My Eyes which also comes from Elvis On Tour. You can make out white pants on John. The band members wore black.

Here is a photo from Elvis On Tour movie just before I Got A Woman. Band Members are wearing white.

So when looking at the footage on This is Elvis, Buffalo is out since the band was wearing black their or then unlessthe footage from This Is Elvis could be from Hampton which I doubt. So that leaves: Knoxsville, TN and Indianapolis, IN. Be the judge. See yourself. Don't say that only four shows was recorded. The whole tour could have been record but not full shows. We will never know what was filmed and what wasn't filmed.

As for San Antonio, See See Rider seen on the DVD Through My Eyes has two camera angles in it from Detroit.

Camera Angle 1:

Camera Angle 2:

As for the MSG photo with the camera. Please take a look at this from Richmond. Funny, looks like the same camera to me. Also, that same type of camera is seen in Hampton Roads, Greensboro, and San Antonio.

Exactly, Or watch Through My Eyes which also comes from Elvis On Tour. You can make out white pants on John. The band members wore black.

Here is a photo from Elvis On Tour movie just before I Got A Woman. Band Members are wearing white.

So when looking at the footage on This is Elvis, Buffalo is out since the band was wearing black their or then unlessthe footage from This Is Elvis could be from Hampton which I doubt. So that leaves: Knoxsville, TN and Indianapolis, IN. Be the judge. See yourself. Don't say that only four shows was recorded. The whole tour could have been record but not full shows. We will never know what was filmed and what wasn't filmed.

As for San Antonio, See See Rider seen on the DVD Through My Eyes has two camera angles in it from Detroit.

Camera Angle 1:

Camera Angle 2:

As for the MSG photo with the camera. Please take a look at this from Richmond. Funny, looks like the same camera to me. Also, that same type of camera is seen in Hampton Roads, Greensboro, and San Antonio.

Precisely, I couldnt have said it better myself. I think we're really getting somewhere.

Precisely, I couldnt have said it better myself. I think we're really getting somewhere.
    Well, I think that there is more footage of Elvis out there. MGM has more than what is release on the boot DVDs. Elvis On Tour is the same way.

Getlo - There is no 100% guaranteed that only the shows of Buffalo, Detroit, Hampton Roads (AS & ES), Richmond, Greensboro, or San Antonio was the only ones that was film. I wouldn't bet my life on it and I bet most of the members on here wouldn't bet their life either.