Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why was MSG not filmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    No.

This was discussed many years ago in Elvis Monthly and other publications.

A reporter at the NYC press conference asked Elvis why they filmed in Boston rather than New York. Perplexed, Elvis passed the question over to the Colonel.

What the reporter presumably meant to say was Buffalo, which, as you know, is also in New York. Hence the confusion. The Buffalo show on April 5 was filmed by Robert Abel with just a small Sony camera to get a feel for the performance, in readiness for the upcoming April shows.

There was a theory going around years ago that the film footage of An American Trilogy (as featured in This Is Elvis) was actually from the Buffalo Sony camera footage: one angle, the colour isn't all that great. And I'm talking here about the footage itself - not the actual sound. Trilogy from TIE may have been overdubbed with the sound from Hampton Roads (evening show) from April 9 as Abel's camera would not have been able to capture sound in releasable quality. However, the TIE footage belies that theory. It's from Hampton. I do wonder why they only used one angle for Trilogy though. Maybe for cinematic effect?

And MSG was not filmed presumably because they had just filmed several shows in April. But what a pity they didn't film in MSG: Elvis was slimmer, certainly brighter than in April. The June shows were better overall too.

An Elvis On Tour based around the June tour and the MSG shows would have been something all right!
    Spot on Getlo

Thanks for sparing me the time and effort on replying with that same exact answer

International Level
    No.

This was discussed many years ago in Elvis Monthly and other publications.

A reporter at the NYC press conference asked Elvis why they filmed in Boston rather than New York. Perplexed, Elvis passed the question over to the Colonel.

What the reporter presumably meant to say was Buffalo, which, as you know, is also in New York. Hence the confusion. The Buffalo show on April 5 was filmed by Robert Abel with just a small Sony camera to get a feel for the performance, in readiness for the upcoming April shows.

There was a theory going around years ago that the film footage of An American Trilogy (as featured in This Is Elvis) was actually from the Buffalo Sony camera footage: one angle, the colour isn't all that great. And I'm talking here about the footage itself - not the actual sound. Trilogy from TIE may have been overdubbed with the sound from Hampton Roads (evening show) from April 9 as Abel's camera would not have been able to capture sound in releasable quality. However, the TIE footage belies that theory. It's from Hampton. I do wonder why they only used one angle for Trilogy though. Maybe for cinematic effect?

And MSG was not filmed presumably because they had just filmed several shows in April. But what a pity they didn't film in MSG: Elvis was slimmer, certainly brighter than in April. The June shows were better overall too.

An Elvis On Tour based around the June tour and the MSG shows would have been something all right!

Cheers for that

International Level rhythmknights's Avatar
    There is no pro shot "news media" footage from any of the four shows.

Any footage released from these shows has been fan shot footage, not professional.

See www.msg1972.com or the Rocking The Garden DVD.
    thanks for the info, Getlo! love this
    All I wanted was a white knight with a good heart, soft touch, fast horse
    Ride me off into the sunset Baby, I'm forever yours

There is no pro shot "news media" footage from any of the four shows.

Any footage released from these shows has been fan shot footage, not professional.

See www.msg1972.com or the Rocking The Garden DVD.
    Thanks for posting that link Getlo. That was very interesting...I spent about an hour on there last night!

re

I thought I heard the colonol saying something about the Boston Concert,but this show isn't released officially...
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Stryx View Post
    The Colonel can't be blamed for everything in Elvis's career.

As a fan I would love had MSG and every concert he ever performed been professionally filmed. But alas they were not.

I asked Charlie Hodge a few years back did he think it was a pity that we have so few professionally filmed concerts.

Charlie thought we actually had quite a lot.

Personally I don't.

But Colonel can't be blamed for everything.....and at the end of the day Elvis is the one who kept him on, so Elvis is responsible.
    If Elvis and the Col. were partners -Elvis's end was performing and the Parkers was setting up deals for tours, filmed concerts, movies, recording contracts, etc-then Parker is to blame as much as Elvis. Elvis trusted the man to always steer him and his career the right way. Parker did pretty good till the mid 60s I will give him that. After that I see him as more hindrance in a lot of ways. Elvis should have got rid of him after 65-66 but [B]Elvis trusted Parker[/B] he shouldn't have IMO

re

If we look at Elvis,we can say that this was the greatest entertainer,and he still is.
    But I find it strange that for this kind of entertainer that there isn't much footage around of him performing.OK,we have 8mm,but not official footage.We have some great concerts on dvd,but there are so many more concerts he perfomed and we only got a couple of it that we can count on one hand.
    Maybe because Elvis didn't want to let this happen,but can you imagine how great it would have been if we could have had more official concert footage.
    I heard there was an easter special planned in 1974,but the colonel and Elvis didn't want this because they just had filmed Aloha from Hawaii...anyone more info about this?
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

It's an absolute shame those shows were not filmed.I think they would have chronicled Elvis at his peak.He was outstanding in June of 72.I think he wasnt filmed more because the significance of these events were not known at the time.They had no way of knowing the historical importance of those shows.In that respect Elvis was probably taken for granted.
    Jak

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by MojoElvis View Post
    Why don't you just get your own site Getlo, it seems like you're the only one that knows everything on here.
    I'm out of this page, when I see Elvis fans taking you serious, it really tells me what kind of Elvis fans these are. Probably the kind Elvis once remarked about to one of his bodyguards as he was exiting the stage.

Guess TCB World is about to send me another strike, cause about to tell you what loser you are and think all the information you know about is the only one that exsit. Later Asshole!!!..
    Quite the comment from someone displaying an Elvis Choclate snack as their signature.

Getlo would buy and sell you on Elvis knowledge.

If you are going....cheerio

what difference does it make. I believe I saw some pro shot flim that could be mistaking for MSG show in promotion for the Aloha. The intro to Where Elvis gave that interview where he seemed out of it. He was wearing the Adonis Jumpsuit on that too.

Quote Originally Posted by MojoElvis View Post
    Why don't you just get your own site Getlo, it seems like you're the only one that knows everything on here.
    I'm out of this page, when I see Elvis fans taking you serious, it really tells me what kind of Elvis fans these are. Probably the kind Elvis once remarked about to one of his bodyguards as he was exiting the stage.

Guess TCB World is about to send me another strike, cause about to tell you what loser you are and think all the information you know about is the only one that exsit. Later Asshole!!!..
    OK Mojo, why are you starting something? In this post all he did was provide us with a link so we could all see the MSG things. I think alot of us didn't even know it existed, and in turn we were thankful that he provided it. I'm afraid you may have just gotten yourself banned using the word you just used That was really a little much, dont ya think???

These 8mm videos have been out for a while now. I wouldn't be surprised if the Colonel didn't have it filmed in pro shot. He really wasn't into capturing the moments of Elvis' life on film. All he cared about was the money swindled per ticket sale and the profits he made off of MSG live LP. Awesome album!

[B]FILMING FOR MGM

"ELVIS ON TOUR"

MARCH 30 1972 "RCA HOLLYWOOD STUDIO" FILMED WITH MGM CAMERAS

MARCH 31 1972 "RCA HOLLYWOOD STUDIO" FILMED WITH MGM CAMERAS

APRIL 5 1972 "BUFFALO" NY CONFERENCE ROOM FILMED WITH MGM CAMERAS

APRIL 5 1972 "BUFFALO" NY FILMED USING A MOBILE VIDEO CAMERA

APRIL 9 1972 "HAMPTON" / 2 CONCERTS / FILMED WITH MGM CAMERAS

APRIL 10 1972 "RICHMOND" FILMED WITH MGM CAMERAS

APRIL 13 1972 "CHARLOTTE" FILMED WITH MGM CAMERAS

APRIL 15 1972 "MACON" / 2 CONCERTS / FILMED WITH MGM CAMERAS

APRIL 16 1972 "JACKSONVILLE" / 2 CONCERTS / + AFTER SHOW FILMED WITH MGM CAMERAS

APRIL 18 1972 "SAN ANTONIO" FILMED WITH MGM CAMERAS

JUNE 9 1972 "MADISON SQUARE GARDEN" NY THERE IS APPROXIMATELY 40 MINUTES OF PROFESSIONAL FOOTAGES

NOVEMBER 18 1972 "THE H.I.C. ARENA, HONOLULU HAWAII" AT LEAST 4 SONGS WERE FILMED DURING THIS SHOW

JANUARY 23 1973 "LAS VEGAS" A MINIMUM OF 7 SONGS FROM THIS CONCERT IS ON FILM AND IN THE HANDS OF COLLECTOR

MAY 11 1974 "THE FORUM, LA" THE EVENING SHOW WAS FILMED IN IT'S ENTIRETY

MARCH 20 1974 "MIDSOUTH COLISEUM MEMPHIS" 2 CAMERAS FILMED THIS SHOW / CAMERA 1 CAUGHT ONLY THE FIRST 8 MINUTES BUT CAMERA 2 CAPTURED AN ESTIMATED 95% OF THE ENTIRE CONCERT

MAY 5 1975 "STATE FAIR COLISEUM JACKSON", MS LOCAL TV FILMED BACKSTAGE AND PARTS OF THIS BENEFIT CONCERT FOR THE VICTIMS OF THE TORNADO THAT HIT JACKSON MISSISSIPPI

JULY 13 1975 "CONVENTION CENTER NIAGARA FALL" NY TV CAMERAS FILMED AT LEAST 4 SONGS FROM THIS SHOW

NOVEMBER 30 1976 "ANAHEIM CONVENTION CENTER", CA 2 MOBILE CAMERAS VIDEO ON TRIPODS CAUGHT THIS ENTIRE SHOW ON FILM

DECEMBER 30 1976 "ATLANTA" CONCERT FILMED IN IT'S ENTIRETY

JUNE 1 1977 "MACON" CONCERT FILMED IN IT'S ENTIRETY

JUNE 17 1977 "SOUTHWEST MO. STAGE UNIVERSITY SPRINGFIELD" CBS USED 2 MOBILE VIDEO CAMERAS FOR THIS PERFORMANCE IN PREPARATION FOR THE FULL CAMERA CREW

JUNE 19 1977 "OMAHA CIVIC CENTER" CBS FILMED BEFORE / DURING / AND AFTER THIS CONCERT

JUNE 21 1977 "MOUNT RUSHMORE RAPID CITY" CBS FILMED BEFORE / DURING / AND AFTER THIS CONCERT

JUNE 26 1977 "MARKET SQUARE ARENA INDIANAPOLIS "THE CBS CAMERA TEAM FILMED ELVIS' FINAL PERFORMANCE OF THIS TOUR ON 2 CAMERAS AROUND 20 MINUTES.

THIS FOOTAGE ARE IN THE EPE ARCHIVES AND A FULL COPY OF THE SHOW IS IN THE PRIVATES HANDS

JUNE ?? 1977 - GRACELAND -

UNCONFIRMED / ONE COLLECTOR SAY THAT HE HAS FOOTAGE OF ELVIS BY THE POOL AT GRACELAND BEING INTERVIEWED BY CBS TEAM

List found on www.rareelvispresley.com
    [/
    B]

Getlo would buy and sell you on Elvis knowledge.
    Well, thanks for that!

I was surprised to see Mojo's tirade against me in your quoted post, as it's now been removed. I would have like to have had the chance to respond more immediately.

I suppose he was just miffed that my opinion about whether the MSG shows were filmed was contrary to what he said. But - like always - if people ever want to say things like this and give us proof, I'd be more than happy to stand corrected!

And so now MojoElvis is banned. That's life, as Sinatra once sang ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by alstrada View Post
    JUNE 9 1972 "MADISON SQUARE GARDEN" NY THERE IS APPROXIMATELY 40 MINUTES OF PROFESSIONAL FOOTAGES

UNCONFIRMED / ONE COLLECTOR SAY THAT HE HAS FOOTAGE OF ELVIS BY THE POOL AT GRACELAND BEING INTERVIEWED BY CBS TEAM
    I think this list was posted on another thread? I'm not sure.

Alstrada, this is no reflection on you, but ...

This site (along with a couple of others) simply has no proof to back up its claims.

Pro shot MSG footage? Well, so where's it been since 1972?

And the idea that Elvis was interviewed by the pool in '77? No way, no how ... it never happened. However, I'd love to be proven wrong about this! If this collector is saying he has this interview, then let him show it and remove all doubt.

The rest of the list is too long to go into, but there are some real doozies on there. It's mostly just wishful thinking and speculation on the part of the website that puts it up, IMO.
    Last edited by Getlo; 03-29-2008 at 08:51 PM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by alstrada View Post
    [B]FILMING FOR MGM

"ELVIS ON TOUR"

MARCH 30 1972 "RCA HOLLYWOOD STUDIO" FILMED WITH MGM CAMERAS

MARCH 31 1972 "RCA HOLLYWOOD STUDIO" FILMED WITH MGM CAMERAS

APRIL 5 1972 "BUFFALO" NY CONFERENCE ROOM FILMED WITH MGM CAMERAS

APRIL 5 1972 "BUFFALO" NY FILMED USING A MOBILE VIDEO CAMERA

APRIL 9 1972 "HAMPTON" / 2 CONCERTS / FILMED WITH MGM CAMERAS

APRIL 10 1972 "RICHMOND" FILMED WITH MGM CAMERAS

APRIL 13 1972 "CHARLOTTE" FILMED WITH MGM CAMERAS

APRIL 15 1972 "MACON" / 2 CONCERTS / FILMED WITH MGM CAMERAS

APRIL 16 1972 "JACKSONVILLE" / 2 CONCERTS / + AFTER SHOW FILMED WITH MGM CAMERAS

APRIL 18 1972 "SAN ANTONIO" FILMED WITH MGM CAMERAS

NOVEMBER 18 1972 "THE H.I.C. ARENA, HONOLULU HAWAII" AT LEAST 4 SONGS WERE FILMED DURING THIS SHOW

JANUARY 23 1973 "LAS VEGAS" A MINIMUM OF 7 SONGS FROM THIS CONCERT IS ON FILM AND IN THE HANDS OF COLLECTOR

MAY 11 1974 "THE FORUM, LA" THE EVENING SHOW WAS FILMED IN IT'S ENTIRETY

MARCH 20 1974 "MIDSOUTH COLISEUM MEMPHIS" 2 CAMERAS FILMED THIS SHOW / CAMERA 1 CAUGHT ONLY THE FIRST 8 MINUTES BUT CAMERA 2 CAPTURED AN ESTIMATED 95% OF THE ENTIRE CONCERT

MAY 5 1975 "STATE FAIR COLISEUM JACKSON", MS LOCAL TV FILMED BACKSTAGE AND PARTS OF THIS BENEFIT CONCERT FOR THE VICTIMS OF THE TORNADO THAT HIT JACKSON MISSISSIPPI

JULY 13 1975 "CONVENTION CENTER NIAGARA FALL" NY TV CAMERAS FILMED AT LEAST 4 SONGS FROM THIS SHOW

NOVEMBER 30 1976 "ANAHEIM CONVENTION CENTER", CA 2 MOBILE CAMERAS VIDEO ON TRIPODS CAUGHT THIS ENTIRE SHOW ON FILM

DECEMBER 30 1976 "ATLANTA" CONCERT FILMED IN IT'S ENTIRETY

JUNE 1 1977 "MACON" CONCERT FILMED IN IT'S ENTIRETY

JUNE 17 1977 "SOUTHWEST MO. STAGE UNIVERSITY SPRINGFIELD" CBS USED 2 MOBILE VIDEO CAMERAS FOR THIS PERFORMANCE IN PREPARATION FOR THE FULL CAMERA CREW

JUNE 19 1977 "OMAHA CIVIC CENTER" CBS FILMED BEFORE / DURING / AND AFTER THIS CONCERT

JUNE 21 1977 "MOUNT RUSHMORE RAPID CITY" CBS FILMED BEFORE / DURING / AND AFTER THIS CONCERT

JUNE 26 1977 "MARKET SQUARE ARENA INDIANAPOLIS "THE CBS CAMERA TEAM FILMED ELVIS' FINAL PERFORMANCE OF THIS TOUR ON 2 CAMERAS AROUND 20 MINUTES.

THIS FOOTAGE ARE IN THE EPE ARCHIVES AND A FULL COPY OF THE SHOW IS IN THE PRIVATES HANDS

JUNE ?? 1977 - GRACELAND -

List found on www.rareelvispresley.com
    [/
    B]
    I've found this to be a very credible site . Thanks .
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Like I said earlier, I think there might be some footage of Elvis wearing the Adonis JS with pro shot cameras. If I could only find the video of this i'll post it. They are playing, You Dont Have To Say You Love Me, along with it. It's only picture no sound.

I would have to agree with the list Alstrada posted too

International Level
    No offence to everyone who thinks that much footage was shot of Elvis, but after 30 years it seems unlikely.

EPE refute that any concerts were recorded apart from the ones we all know about.

Who is supposed to have filmed Elvis in 74', 75' and 76'? What did they film him for and more importantly......where did they get the money to pay the Colonel to do soemthing like that.

Elvis didn't appear at the awards for the lifetime achievement award he won because they woulden't pay him to be perform and they wanted him to perform.

Instead they presented it to him in his dressing room in Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by TCBnAflash View Post
    I would have to agree with the list Alstrada posted too
    In what sense, agree? That you believe all this stuff listed actually exists?

No offence to everyone who thinks that much footage was shot of Elvis, but after 30 years it seems unlikely.
    Exactly.

After 30 years and more, not a single frame of any pro-shot concert footage has surfaced (aside from the KNBC couple of minutes from August '72, and Japanese TV from Honolulu in November of that year).

And these people who say pro shot is professional simply based on who recorded it rather than what equipment was used to record it! Ugh! 8mm is not pro footage, no matter which was you slice it!

See you by the pool!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by TCBnAflash View Post
    Like I said earlier, I think there might be some footage of Elvis wearing the Adonis JS with pro shot cameras. If I could only find the video of this i'll post it. They are playing, You Dont Have To Say You Love Me, along with it. It's only picture no sound.
    If it's only picture with no sound, how do you know what song is playing?

Also, could you be confused with the Japanese TV pro shot footage from Honolulu, 1972?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh2KwgRTsL4

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUF0IFmXt2s
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly