Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What could we expect.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyJack View Post
    [COLOR="Green".It is a great pity that Elvis didn`t really recieve the love back that he had (and continues to..) given.[/COLOR]
    I think he did, when people were cheering when he performed on stage...well, I hope he did, because he deserved it

Talking about children, have you noticed how they react to Elvis? I think it's the ultimate proof he was a really kind human being

TCB Mafia
    true reactions of domestic animals and kids to a person reveal a lot of that person
    It's hard NOT to imagine Elvis as perfect; how else could someone be THAT good looking, THAT talented, THAT generous & THAT charismatic

IMO, he was "clinically depressed". There just wasn't that exact diagnosis so long ago.
    IF you couldn't sleep, the doctor gave you sleeping pills.
    IF you "felt nervous ",you got tranquilers .
    IF you had no energy, you got something to "pep you up."

I've worked with patients to get them off some of the meds they were given.
    Whose fault is it? The doctors that didn't know better ?
    Or their patients that believed their doctors and "took another pill"?

In earlier years, a doctor was a "god" in that he made you well. He was not questioned. Today it's better, but it still goes on. Especially with the elderly.
    To me; it's just sad .My empathy goes with the patient.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Quote Originally Posted by riley View Post
    true reactions of domestic animals and kids to a person reveal a lot of that person
    I agree about kids and animals .My 2 year old grandson is fascinated with Elvis on YouTube.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

SleepyJack
    I hope this doesn`t take the whole topic off in a weird direction but...Maybe it is time we stopped trying to make sense of Elvis` life using the categories and rules of the every day man...To me there has always been something "Other-worldly" about Elvis....

I pretty much agree with everything said here......even you cameron about the depression. I know he wasn't diagnosed, but I think in today's world, he would have been. I think ultimately, he let others run his life and didn't stick up for what he really wanted - other than controlling the MM - maybe that is why he did so much - control the MM because he could not control anything or anyone else. Anyone think that? I think he got bored with his career and didn't know what else to do because no matter what he wanted, the Colonel wouldn't let him anyways.

As for the women - his fault -he was playing every one of them - including Priscilla from day one. Telling her she was special, yet writing home to Anita telling her the same thing. that part about Elvis I think is his worst feature - more so than the pills.

I've said before - if he would have went out in public more - and not closeted himself at Graceland - maybe the public would have been more used to him and not hounded him as much - just my opinion though.

Me too Jack, Elvis was born with a special quality that most people don't have otherwise these forum sites wouldn't exist 30 years after his death. We can ask the same question he did "why me" and never know the answer either why he was blessed with all he was. He did cause a cultural awareness and independence that maybe we badly needed....I sure did.

Diane

SleepyJack
    I won`t even pretend to know why Elvis allowed so many people to control so many aspects of his life...that has always been a mystery to me.As to the women part- I sometimes think that for one reason or another there were two types of women that Elvis was divided over...the ones he felt genuinely attracted to as a man,and the ones that he thought Gladys would have approved of...not that it excuses anything..it`s just a thought.

I won`t even pretend to know why Elvis allowed so many people to control so many aspects of his life...that has always been a mystery to me.As to the women part- I sometimes think that for one reason or another there were two types of women that Elvis was divided over...the ones he felt genuinely attracted to as a man,and the ones that he thought Gladys would have approved of...not that it excuses anything..it`s just a thought.
    I think you are right about that....the women part. I don't know why he allowed others to control his career either. I know it's well known that he never liked to confront a problem or hear of another's problem - he'd rather make it go away or ignore it. I mean people in his circle - maybe that is why - I think he was so used to his mom handling everything that when she died - maybe he just let others do it too.??? Just speculating of course.

Pretty good speculating there Kelly.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Pretty good speculating there Kelly.

Diane
    I guess the more you think about it - the more it shows an adolescent rather than an adult? We've always said he was a boy at heart and never really grew up. He lived in his own world, with his own people in it. So he never really had to deal with the real world so to speak - other than being on stage.

I also think he wanted everyone around him happy too - maybe that is why he didn't want to hear anyone's troubles?

heck I don't know, once again just speculating. he for sure was a shining star in our universe - still is - no matter what.

SleepyJack
    I consider Elvis to be an active part of my life,like a living friend,a real presence...I`ve pretty much felt like that for many years.I know that is a strange thing to say about an entertainer,and it would sound a bit over-the-top to most people but it`s the truth...he was very special. I will always accept him as he was....faults and all....I know he wasn`t perfect...and I`m far from perfect....and actually I don`t know anyone who is.Thank God for putting him on our planet,even for a short while.

I consider Elvis to be an active part of my life,like a living friend,a real presence...I`ve pretty much felt like that for many years.I know that is a strange thing to say about an entertainer,and it would sound a bit over-the-top to most people but it`s the truth...he was very special. I will always accept him as he was....faults and all....I know he wasn`t perfect...and I`m far from perfect....and actually I don`t know anyone who is.Thank God for putting him on our planet,even for a short while.
    well said jack, and not strange at all. I've learned that yes, if we were to say these things to others who are not Elvis fans - it would be silly to them. But you making that statement about him being an everyday part of your life is not silly at all - I think he is to all of us on here - you can say that sort of stuff to other Elvis fans because they understand - non Elvis fans do not.

I've got such an urge to see Graceland during the christmas season, it's driving me insane. I actually want to cry because I'm not able to go back right now. But lord help me, I can't tell anyone else that, except maybe on here - ya know?

SleepyJack
    It would be lovely to be there for Christmas....but still..Christmas can be magical anywhere if you want it to be.

Elvis did have that affect on his fans Jack. When he died I felt I lost someone close in my family or a close friend I loved. I can't imagine what life would have been like without him in it.

Diane

SleepyJack
    It`s a pretty incredible thing though isn`t it?....I mean to have such an impact on people,it still amazes me sometimes.

He surrounded himself with people who had their own agendas. Very few really cared about him--this had alot to do with what happened in the end.
    Security is not the absence of danger but the presence of God no matter what the danger.

TCB Mafia
    true Unique Dog
    It's hard NOT to imagine Elvis as perfect; how else could someone be THAT good looking, THAT talented, THAT generous & THAT charismatic

I agree with what you've all been saying...
    Elvis never really grew up, he was an adult but could feel thing like a child do. He could be happy(it would explain the way he makes fans feel) or be mad with grief like a child (in the end of his life...I dunno if it's the same for everybody but I can barely watch some footage from his last concerts without crying)

Roustabouts
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Elvis was down at times, and sometimes depressed.

But he was not suffering from a "heavy load of it". He was not a clinically diagnosed depressive, or even an undiagnosed one: the real signs of depression simply were not there.

And, overall, Elvis knew what he was getting himself in for. If it was getting too difficult nor dark earlier on, he could have backed off, and returned to truck driving.

His choices, his life, his responsibility.

And his only.
    Again, your sources?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast