Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Yall next week's the week!

I don't think he's investing money just to upgrade the neighborhood. The reason for the rezoning is to transform the area from residential to commercial district. He doesn't want a neighborhood behind or next to Graceland from what has all been reported. He's investing that money into the area that will be affected the most by the new changes to the new attractions coming to Graceland. But that area apparently affects the African American community the most. So it's a win-win situation for them and for him and EPE and the future of Graceland.
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Truthfully I would never want to diss anyone-but I also think the Elvis's memory has lasted 30 years without Sillerman. Time will tell how well he understands what is right for Elvis's legacy. I have nothing against him, but Elvis is the center of the whole legacy-not convention centers, nor how changes would benefit Whitehavens area.
    If he is investing his money to help Whitehavens then he is in the wrong business-urban renewal is where he should be investing. I hope you do not think my post is harrassing-it is not meant to be. I am simply saying, most of us have a wait and see attitude about what will happen.
    Perfectly said KPM...as always. What I don't understand is this....they can spend 10 billion dollars on Hotels and restaurants, walk-ways and attractions. That does not change the demographics of the surrounding area. The same "type" of people will still live in the same area, the areas will just be pushed back a little with the new expanded borders. I grew up in Dallas and this has been a major problem in that city. The Cotton Bowl is located right in the middle of Fair Park, and Fair Park is located right in the middle of the worst inner-city hood in Dallas. There is a constant battle over what to do with the run down old Cotton Bowl. Taxpayers do NOT want to commit money to spend refurbishing the Stadium because of the neighborhood. Yet...the CB and the State Fair of Texas are a huge part of the history of Dallas. Building a new Hotel will NOT bring in a classier neighborhood in Whitehaven. Graceland is stuck right in the middle of an area of town that's not going to change, and you can't pick up the house and move it to a better part......

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by ruggishboo View Post
    The area around Graceland is not a safe area, and hasn't been for several years. The Memphis of today is very different than the Memphis of the 50's or even the late 70's. Crime continues to get worse, someone is shot or killed there on a daily basis, the city government is scandal-ridden and the mayor who's served there for 16 years continues to be re-elected despite the growing problems and his own scandals. I was raised an hour away from there, and know many people from Memphis, so I have watched that great city continue to drown itself in problems and crime over the years. I don't know what the solution is, perhaps if all of this comes to pass, it might help out the city, and at least make the immediate area around the mansion safer. I haven't been to Graceland in five years now, I used to go whenever I could do so. It's just not worth the headaches now to go because of where it's at, and that's sad to me. So anyway, I guess we will see years down the road what effect this will have on Memphis and Elvis's image/legacy.
    Thanks for the input, l would like see the change go though for the people who live in memphis. I for one want to be feel safe when l get to graceland someday.

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    Perfectly said KPM...as always. What I don't understand is this....they can spend 10 billion dollars on Hotels and restaurants, walk-ways and attractions. That does not change the demographics of the surrounding area. The same "type" of people will still live in the same area, the areas will just be pushed back a little with the new expanded borders. I grew up in Dallas and this has been a major problem in that city. The Cotton Bowl is located right in the middle of Fair Park, and Fair Park is located right in the middle of the worst inner-city hood in Dallas. There is a constant battle over what to do with the run down old Cotton Bowl. Taxpayers do NOT want to commit money to spend refurbishing the Stadium because of the neighborhood. Yet...the CB and the State Fair of Texas are a huge part of the history of Dallas. Building a new Hotel will NOT bring in a classier neighborhood in Whitehaven. Graceland is stuck right in the middle of an area of town that's not going to change, and you can't pick up the house and move it to a better part......
    Umm, you can't invest billions of dollars into an area and not see a drastic improvement economically. It's impossible. The changes for Whitehaven will change that area because they are buying up homes and apartment complexes that occupy many of those people and forcing them to go elsewhere but with more money to work with. There's no way on God's green earth that Bob Sillerman (or any billionaire for that matter) would invest such amount of money into an area if the same problems that occur today were to still be there later. This is the #1 reason why he needs the city government to back it. Their duties will be to tear down buildings that are unrepairable. Police the area more and clean up streets and businesses. Tear down power lines and run them underground and fix the infrastructure. Tax dollars will not be used on this project. That has already been stated by both Bob Sillerman and the council. It's on the link that Lakeisha posted. "There won't be a tax hike involved". That's the reason he got clearance for Government welfare. he knew exactly what he was doing. He knew that Memphis as a poor economical city could never have afforded such a project and by getting government welfare he can avoid going that route.

Some here are acting as if this plan is just quickly thrown together without any long term studies. This project has been heavily and carefully studied. It's too obvious. You can clearly see that Bob Sillerman's people have studied the demographic numbers of Graceland visitors by age groups by going in such a drastic and dangerous direction that they are about to take. I can't see him investing that much money into something that could completely backfire in his face and make him go broke. He would have to be a complete out of tune ***** to do that. And you don't become a multi-billionaire by being that dumb and naive
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

Maneuvers
    Distance Maps
    1: Start out going EAST on HALE RD toward ELVIS PRESLEY BLVD / US-51 / TN-3. 0.2 miles Map

2: Turn LEFT onto ELVIS PRESLEY BLVD / US-51 / TN-3. 1.3 miles Map

3: End at 3734 Elvis Presley Blvd
    Memphis, TN 38116-4106, US Map

Total Est. Time: 4 minutes Total Est. Distance: 1.60 miles
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

I am a "visual" person. IF you've never been to Graceland ; please look up a map of Whitehaven and Graceland. {I couldn't get the one off I found}

Whitehaven and Graceland are right there together. Whatever happens with one will undoubtly affect the other. A clean-up will help both.
    Now, maybe we can wait, watch and see how it all unfolds.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Quote Originally Posted by garydt View Post
    Getting back on topic, I'm a bit wary of having Elvis associated with Disney as it might make Elvis look more of a comic charater or a figure of fun then he already is in the American public eye. But then again it will probably draw more visitors to Graceland which is what Silverman wants.
    I think this is why this topic rubs some of the Elvis fans the wrong way. They(Sillerman & Co.) keep comparing the Graceland/Whitehaven upgrade to Disneyland. If it's not intent to turn that area into an Elvis themed amusement park then maybe they should word things differently so people won't get so upset. There's got to be something else that they can compare it to.

Wicked, some folks don't know the difference between apples and oranges.

The "Disney" reference is got more to do with Graceland becomin as popular of an attraction on a scale with what Disney is today.

It aint gonna be an amusement park. Disney's basically a family style resort with multiple attractions.

That's Sillerman's plan for the whole area. He's got no plans to turn it into an Elvis theme park

I posted this way back last year at E1 forum.

It's gonna be a themed attraction with museums, restaurants, and shops, like Disney has.

As my friend/source put it......a museum complex designed like a theme park but with no rides.

It's mind bogglin to see most folks here can't comprehend that and still say they don't wanna see an amusement park at Graceland.

And they question my IQ? LMBAO

Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    Umm, you can't invest billions of dollars into an area and not see a drastic improvement economically. It's impossible. The changes for Whitehaven will change that area because they are buying up homes and apartment complexes that occupy many of those people and forcing them to go elsewhere but with more money to work with. There's no way on God's green earth that Bob Sillerman (or any billionaire for that matter) would invest such amount of money into an area if the same problems that occur today were to still be there later. This is the #1 reason why he needs the city government to back it. Their duties will be to tear down buildings that are unrepairable. Police the area more and clean up streets and businesses. Tear down power lines and run them underground and fix the infrastructure. Tax dollars will not be used on this project. That has already been stated by both Bob Sillerman and the council. It's on the link that Lakeisha posted. "There won't be a tax hike involved". That's the reason he got clearance for Government welfare. he knew exactly what he was doing. He knew that Memphis as a poor economical city could never have afforded such a project and by getting government welfare he can avoid going that route.

Some here are acting as if this plan is just quickly thrown together without any long term studies. This project has been heavily and carefully studied. It's too obvious. You can clearly see that Bob Sillerman's people have studied the demographic numbers of Graceland visitors by age groups by going in such a drastic and dangerous direction that they are about to take. I can't see him investing that much money into something that could completely backfire in his face and make him go broke. He would have to be a complete out of tune ***** to do that. And you don't become a multi-billionaire by being that dumb and naive
    CO-SIGN!!

It is as I told you, as important to our economy that this doesn't fall through.

I was talkin to a lady yesterday about this transformation, and she said it's a good thing they decided to do it now because had they let that area continue to deteriorate that Graceland might be forced to close due to crime in the area.

It's been on the news here about prostitutes on EPB and near Graceland soliciting folks for sex and drugs as they drive through the area.

Blackhaven is also now known as Gangland instead of Graceland.

It's not safe anymore.

Memphis is fallin apart and it kills me to see my beautiful historical hometown like it is.

That's why we need this change to happen ASAP! Not 5-10 years down the road.

I'm confident that Mr Sillerman sees that as well, at least for the security and protection of his own investment, if nothin else.

And if the fans can't understand that, then they don't have a heart, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeisha View Post

Are we allowed to use "racial" overtones?? I didn't think I could use LMWAO?

Loving elvis
    CO-SIGN!!

It is as I told you, as important to our economy that this doesn't fall through.

I was talkin to a lady yesterday about this transformation, and she said it's a good thing they decided to do it now because had they let that area continue to deteriorate that Graceland might be forced to close due to crime in the area.

It's been on the news here about prostitutes on EPB and near Graceland soliciting folks for sex and drugs as they drive through the area.

It's not safe anymore.

Memphis is fallin apart and it kills me to see my beautiful historical hometown like it is.

I'm confident that Mr Sillerman sees that as well, at least for the security and protection of his own investment, if nothin else.

And if the fans can't understand that, then they don't have a heart, as far as I'm concerned.
    well said

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    Are we allowed to use "racial" overtones?? I didn't think I could use LMWAO?

Let's see, you have been a member since October of 2007 (this year) and Lakeisha and I have both been here much longer than that (me since March 2006) and yet most of your posts are aimed as attacks on her or me.

Wicked, some folks don't know the difference between apples and oranges.

The "Disney" reference is got more to do with Graceland becomin as popular of an attraction on a scale with what Disney is today.

It aint gonna be an amusement park. Disney's basically a family style resort with multiple attractions.

That's Sillerman's plan for the whole area. He's got no plans to turn it into an Elvis theme park

I posted this way back last year at E1 forum.

It's gonna be a themed attraction with museums, restaurants, and shops, like Disney has.

As my friend/source put it......a museum complex designed like a theme park but with no rides.

It's mind bogglin to see most folks here can't comprehend that and still say they don't wanna see an amusement park at Graceland.

Thank's for explaining the difference between apples and oranges,
    especially your description of Disney. What I still think of Disney is,
    it's a tacky crap enterprise attracting kids from 2 to 13 with their
    cheap attractions, who has only one thing in mind: Money.
    The only good thing is that the former residents of Whiteheaven,
    the prostitutes, dealer, junkies and other criminals will certainly get
    a new good job at Sillerman's Elvis Theme Park .
    And I really hope everything's ok with my IQ

CO-SIGN!!

It's not safe anymore.

And that's the main problem with the fans. The ones who are complaining "don't mess with it, it's fine as it is" have no clue whatsoever of the surrounding areas dangers. I don't live in Memphis or near the area and so I wasn't aware that it was THAT bad until people I know here that have been there tell me it's becoming to be more of a Disgrace-land than anything. The die hard fans who travel for the anniversary month celebrations aren't going to see trouble or crime in that area because of the cops around policing it so much. So they aren't going to be aware or understand why there must be change.

Some keep using the term "phony media coverage" as a way to discredit the sources. I think all that is is a cop out to ignore the problem as if it does not exist and to live in denial. I'm sure the fans aren't that naive. There is also somewhat of a selfishness by the fans also. It's like with the remixes-some fans complain about messing with the music when the originals will always be around for them to hear. Same with Graceland-some complain about transforming the area and building new and exciting exhibit facilities next to the mansion when the house itself will remain a major attraction as it is today but in a safer environment.

Lakeisha, I have to say that after getting to know you and see that you are a really cool person that I really worry for you and your son's safety living in that hell hole. Some here just don't realise what a down to earth funny as heck kind of girl you really are.

Loving elvis
    l agree this is a good idea and for those who don't live in memphis really don't understand what happens there.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Clawdy View Post
    Thank's for explaining the difference between apples and oranges,
    especially your description of Disney. What I still think of Disney is,
    it's a tacky crap enterprise attracting kids from 2 to 13 with their
    cheap attractions, who has only one thing in mind: Money.
    The only good thing is that the former residents of Whiteheaven,
    the prostitutes, dealer, junkies and other criminals will certainly get
    a new good job at Sillerman's Elvis Theme Park .
    And I really hope everything's ok with my IQ
    Apparently you haven't been to Disney World resort in a LONG time or at all. Disney World is by far not just for the kids anymore. Most of the visitors that tour Disney World and Epcot and Universal and Animal Kingdom are from kids to teenagers, young adults, grown up adults and grandparents. Most adults want to relive their youth through Disney World. It's also a romantic place to relax and enjoy your vacation. To release stress. That's what Disney World resort is all about. They spend more money on just making their visitors and guests feel special than they do on their attractions. It's been reported that Disney World has the best hotel resorts and staff of anyplace in the world!

Why wouldn't EP fans want that for EP and the visitors to Graceland? Disneyland is an amusement park and more for the kids. But Disney World is a whole different thing. One's a park and the other's a themed resort. As what is being planned for Graceland.

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    l agree this is a good idea and for those who don't live in memphis really don't understand what happens there.
    Exactly! I read the Memphis Commercial Appeal online every morning before going to work because I am a big Memphis Tigers fan in college basketball. That's also the school Lakeisha goes to. So I want to see anything new on them. But all I first stumble over is another shooting in Memphis, and sadly in Whitehaven before I glance at the sports section. So that's how I know what's going on there too. That and Lakeisha relaying the news to me via email. My dad grew up in Frayser in north Memphis back in the 60's and even got to meet EP and Vernon one day. I've told the story a thousand times. So I'm sure everyone has heard it by now. So by my dad growing up there is why I am a lifelong fan of the local school Memphis State University now known as University of Memphis.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    well said
    Ridiculous....as usual.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    Let's see, you have been a member since October of 2007 (this year) and Lakeisha and I have both been here much longer than that (me since March 2006) and yet most of your posts are aimed as attacks on her or me.
    Because what you two post is only useful in inciting arguments......and you know it.

TCB Mafia
    3 pages, and growing. Now taking bets as to how many pages before lockdown.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast