Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Elvis' phonecall to Jimmy Carter

Elvis' phonecall to Jimmy Carter

I just received my copy of Elvis Day By Day (Guralnick and Jorgenen). (By the way, any previous sources I had listed as being from Day By Day referred to the Lee Cotton book of the same name).

Anyway, this new Day By Day is not without its faults, I'm sorry to say. For example, it says the setlists for the Aloha rehearsal show and the actual telecast were the same. You'd think Jorgensen would've proof-read things like that.

Okay, so here's a very interesting couple of entries:

Monday June 13, 1977:
    Elvis puts in a call to President Jimmy Carter to try to help out his friend George Klein in a federal court case.

Tuesday June 14, 1977:
    President Carter returns the call at 5.18pm, but reluctantly gives up after about ten minutes when he cannot understand Elvis' rambling, incoherent conversation. Elvis places another call Wednesday morning, but the president chooses not to take it.

Anyone heard anything else about this? It's unbelievably sad, if true.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails epandjc.jpg  
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

If that is true that has to be one of the saddest stories that I have heard in awhile. What a crime that he didn't live long enough to turn himself around and gain back some of the respect that he undoubtably lost with episodes such as this. On the other hand, how easy to check the song list from the 2 shows. An amateur could check on things like that.

It's even sadder when you read Guralnick's version of this call in Careless Love, page 637...

Quote Originally Posted by ruggishboo View Post
    It's even sadder when you read Guralnick's version of this call in Careless Love, page 637...
    I was going to say; that was written about a long, long time ago.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I was going to say; that was written about a long, long time ago.
    Yes.....the point being if that is true, that is one of the saddest stories that ever came out on Elvis and his drug use. How sad that 2 of our Presidents thought Elvis was a little "off the wall".

Sadly, it's a true story....

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    Yes.....the point being if that is true, that is one of the saddest stories that ever came out on Elvis and his drug use. How sad that 2 of our Presidents thought Elvis was a little "off the wall".
    Not really.
    Nixon was a crook and Carter was a tad incompetent; but a nice guy .
    I don't pay much attention to some of that stuff.
    That's been over 30 years ago. The shock values gone.
    It's very old news.Why was it just reported today?
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Not really.
    Nixon was a crook and Carter was a tad incompetent; but a nice guy .
    I don't pay much attention to some of that stuff.
    That's been over 30 years ago. The shock values gone.
    Basically everything that is discussed on this board is "old news" if you want to call it that. I can't remember seeing a single thing that was "new" news, ya know? Good gosh, Elvis and Ali got post after post, yet there was nothing new there either. When someone has been dead for over 30 years there isn't much "new" to report.

That may be true; but since this is an Elvis site one would expect something a tad different than that.
    Maybe something that happened December 1,instead of June ? ?
    Well, don't be shocked, that storys been out here forever.

International Level

Cool

Yeah its true.

Klein had been fixing the ratings at the radio station that he worked, its a federal crime in the US and he was convicted of fraud.

Elvis wanted Carter to help get Klein out of doing jail time. Carter didn't help and Klein served his time.

Apparently Elvis offered to do something for Carter, like to be a special advisor on the youth and music scene, Elvis hoped that by offering his services Carter would be more inclined to help him.

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Sadly, it's a true story....
    yep Tony sure is the turth.

TCB Mafia
    I saw an interview with Carter discussing this about 20 or so years ago. He said (if I recall correctly) that Elvis sounded "under the influence" of something and that Elvis would call the White House numerous times after that initial call and Carter's staff would just tell Elvis that the President was in a meeting and not available to speak. He implied they had a little fun with Elvis when they did this. Very sad, if true.

I had forgotten until I saw the picture that Getlo posted that Jimmy Carter was such a short little guy. He should recognize someone "under the influence", he heard it enough times from his brother Billy.

Here's links from Carter Presidential archive with times etc of the three phone calls:

http://gil.usg.edu:8765/jclquery.htm...&qp=&qt=+elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis_Priestly View Post
    Here's links from Carter Presidential archive with times etc of the three phone calls:

http://gil.usg.edu:8765/jclquery.htm...&qp=&qt=+elvis
    Thanks for the link. That's a very interesting site..

Quote Originally Posted by ruggishboo View Post
    Right, thanks.

I knew I'd heard about it somewhere before. It's been a while since I read Guralnick.

I read so much other stuff in my line of work, I tend to forget most of what I've been over.

Thanks again.

A very sad state of affairs for Elvis, I'm afraid.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Thank you for the link Conor. My question in all this was why on earth was Dr. Nick trying to revive Elvis to go on stage in Louisville when he was in that condition? Why did he not take responsibility of putting the man in the hospital? Just how much was money worth to these people?????

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    Basically everything that is discussed on this board is "old news" if you want to call it that. I can't remember seeing a single thing that was "new" news, ya know? Good gosh, Elvis and Ali got post after post, yet there was nothing new there either. When someone has been dead for over 30 years there isn't much "new" to report.
    I couldn't have said it better myself, utmom. At least someone gets it.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    I couldn't have said it better myself, utmom. At least someone gets it.
    I get you very well. It's why I've left the trash digging to you .
    You have a way of getting to all that .Almost as good as some others I've known....not quite as good, but almost .

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast