Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: The Elvis weight/apearance debate ... a continuation

  1. #21
    Coming On Strong COL DRIES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    64
    Have You Guys Seen The Show Of Kansa.........oh Sorry ...wrong Thread !!
    COLONEL DRIES SAYS ;
    "THAT'S MY BOY"

  2. #22
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    I think youre right about the betraying part.His fans are so loyal I just dont think they can bring themselves to critisize him in any way no matter what youre talking about.I was the same way at one time.Being a loyal fan is great,but it shouldnt cloud youre judgement.
    Jak
    IMO I also think a modem of understanding is always in order. It is afterall- someone elses life we talk about. A life that would be so foreign to the bulk of us on every level imaginable. Very few people critisized him to his face-when it might have helped. IMO Now, without him to face, its easy to write books and give interviews which break him down to the lowest common denominator. Where is a little understanding for him the human being? I can not stress that enough.
    I have made my views pretty clear about how much good can come from just plain trying to understand something or someone. We all make mistakes, we all screw up, and those mistakes are not the same from person to person. On the surface I might look at a big mess in someones elses life and go: "Man what were you thinking" but I would have very little understanding of the true situation.
    You can read a book about someones life and never really get it all. For every word written there are thousands which are left unsaid, unknown, even to the closest of persons. My wife and I have been married almost 35 years and there are things she does not know about me, and she knows me better than anyone on earth.
    I see nothing wrong in adding some understanding thoughts about someone who screws up big time-while being critical. You can say what you think was the problem-but you might have it 360% wrong. You can say what you might have done-but you can have it 360% wrong. His talent and charisma were unique-and so was the rest of his life as it played out. IMO Why it went as it did (No matter how many books we read or people we talk with) is just an educated guess.
    I have never worn the much spoke of rose colored glasses-though I'm sure some will accuse me of it.

  3. #23
    PeacockLady Diane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    11,636
    I know some of his performances from about '74 on were not as good as what fans were used to but even his extra weight in '75 didn't look unhealthy and he seemed to have a lot of fun judging from pictures of that year. I would loved to have seen one of his concerts then.

    I would still have gone to see him in the last two years but I know I would probably have cried all the way home.

    Diane

  4. #24
    Angel utmom2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    10,021
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    IMO I also think a modem of understanding is always in order. It is afterall- someone elses life we talk about. A life that would be so foreign to the bulk of us on every level imaginable. Very few people critisized him to his face-when it might have helped. IMO Now, without him to face, its easy to write books and give interviews which break him down to the lowest common denominator. Where is a little understanding for him the human being? I can not stress that enough.
    I have made my views pretty clear about how much good can come from just plain trying to understand something or someone. We all make mistakes, we all screw up, and those mistakes are not the same from person to person. On the surface I might look at a big mess in someones elses life and go: "Man what were you thinking" but I would have very little understanding of the true situation.
    You can read a book about someones life and never really get it all. For every word written there are thousands which are left unsaid, unknown, even to the closest of persons. My wife and I have been married almost 35 years and there are things she does not know about me, and she knows me better than anyone on earth.
    I see nothing wrong in adding some understanding thoughts about someone who screws up big time-while being critical. You can say what you think was the problem-but you might have it 360% wrong. You can say what you might have done-but you can have it 360% wrong. His talent and charisma were unique-and so was the rest of his life as it played out. IMO Why it went as it did (No matter how many books we read or people we talk with) is just an educated guess.
    I have never worn the much spoke of rose colored glasses-though I'm sure some will accuse me of it.
    You are so right KPM...it is so easy to second-guess others and their mistakes. After all, hindsight is 20/20 right? I sure hope that after I've been gone for 30 years people are not still sitting around discussing what went wrong with my life. No matter how well someone knows you they never know 100% what is going on in your life. I've been married almost 29 years, my hubby knows me forwards and backwards, but he can't always know what thoughts are in my head. That is what makes each one of us unique and individual. Elvis was certainly unique, but at the end of the day he was still a human being. A human being with flaws and inner deamons, and lots and lots of talent and charisma.

  5. #25
    TCB Mafia jak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    S.C. USA
    Posts
    2,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I know some of his performances from about '74 on were not as good as what fans were used to but even his extra weight in '75 didn't look unhealthy and he seemed to have a lot of fun judging from pictures of that year. I would loved to have seen one of his concerts then.

    I would still have gone to see him in the last two years but I know I would probably have cried all the way home.

    Diane
    Elvis gave some really good shows in 75.He was in much better spirits than 74.His shows were very entertaining and he truly seemed to be enjoying himself on stage again.This in spite of packing on some extra pounds.He just seemed happier in many of the 75 shows.
    Jak

  6. #26
    TCB Mafia cameron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma ,USA
    Posts
    3,945
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    IMO I also think a modem of understanding is always in order. It is afterall- someone elses life we talk about. A life that would be so foreign to the bulk of us on every level imaginable. Very few people critisized him to his face-when it might have helped. IMO Now, without him to face, its easy to write books and give interviews which break him down to the lowest common denominator. Where is a little understanding for him the human being? I can not stress that enough.
    I have made my views pretty clear about how much good can come from just plain trying to understand something or someone. We all make mistakes, we all screw up, and those mistakes are not the same from person to person. On the surface I might look at a big mess in someones elses life and go: "Man what were you thinking" but I would have very little understanding of the true situation.
    .You can read a book about someones life and never really get it all. For every word written there are thousands which are left unsaid, unknown, even to the closest of persons My wife and I have been married almost 35 years and there are things she does not know about me, and she knows me better than anyone on earth.
    I see nothing wrong in adding some understanding thoughts about someone who screws up big time-while being critical. You can say what you think was the problem-but you might have it 360% wrong. You can say what you might have done-but you can have it 360% wrong. His talent and charisma were unique-and so was the rest of his life as it played out. IMO Why it went as it did (No matter how many books we read or people we talk with) is just an educated guess.
    I have never worn the much spoke of rose colored glasses-though I'm sure some will accuse me of it.
    Since I do not debate I can only say; you've said it best, IMO. Thank you.
    Compassion for any soul is better than degrading.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

  7. #27
    TCB Mafia john carpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    1,867
    In my humble opinion if Elvis wieghed 1000 pounds and he got up on stage and tried to please his fans (not the colonel) then that's all that matters. But, the fans would've understood if Elvis said "He guys i need a break to get my drug dependency under control and to lose 70 LBS. then he would have lived longer ..maybe. And any 40 something Man (including myself) needs a complete medical checkup. If Elvis did that then we wouldn't argue about his weight would we?

  8. #28
    Coming On Strong elvisville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by john carpenter View Post
    In my humble opinion if Elvis wieghed 1000 pounds and he got up on stage and tried to please his fans (not the colonel) then that's all that matters. But, the fans would've understood if Elvis said "He guys i need a break to get my drug dependency under control and to lose 70 LBS. then he would have lived longer ..maybe. And any 40 something Man (including myself) needs a complete medical checkup. If Elvis did that then we wouldn't argue about his weight would we?
    I don't think Elvis went on stage to please his fans at this time in his life, he went on stage because that was what he did, he had to go on stage , not for us tho.
    I f he wanted to please his fans he woulda got off stage for a while and got himself straightened out.

  9. #29
    TCB Mafia poormansgold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Julian, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by john carpenter View Post
    In my humble opinion if Elvis wieghed 1000 pounds and he got up on stage and tried to please his fans (not the colonel) then that's all that matters. But, the fans would've understood if Elvis said "He guys i need a break to get my drug dependency under control and to lose 70 LBS. then he would have lived longer ..maybe. And any 40 something Man (including myself) needs a complete medical checkup. If Elvis did that then we wouldn't argue about his weight would we?
    I know That One thing of Elvis Live pass 1977 and stop dependency on Drugs
    He will live Hard life, I see it my own eyes with my family tree, from driking and few drugs, We can say things about Elvis problems with drugs and weight gain. we never real know happened that last few years his life, we can guess about it liked for him.
    We need to let that go enjoy his memories of him and pass those memories to next people to keep his memories going long as we can .
    Tom
    Take a look at you and me,,Are we too blind to see, Do we Simply turn our heads and look the other way.....(Line From "in The Ghetto")

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Did Elvis lost weight after his final concert in Indianapolis?
    By elvis himselvis in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 152
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 11:34 AM
  2. Weight and material of jumpsuits.
    By Menwithbrokenhearts in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-02-2007, 02:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •