Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cousin Harold Lyod

Cousin Harold Lyod

I found this sad!

Elvis offered Harold a job at Graceland for three weeks in 1961 and he stayed until the late 1990's, until he got too ill to work. Instead of giving Harold a prestigious job greeting the fans as Elvis' cousin, like nearly all the family, he was treated abysmally His job was tearing ticket stubs outside the Trophy Room in the heat, or cold or rain and he developed a bad condition in his hands.

The last time I saw him in the early 1990's he was planning to sue EPE for an industrial injury. He had to have triple by-pass surgery in 1999 but received no help from Graceland having worked there for about 37 years. In Elvis' will it said that his family should be looked after in such cases but when you are running up debts of $25 million I suppose it must be so hard to care for Elvis' family as well. Harold died in January 2002 and neither Lisa nor Priscilla acknowledged his death according to the Elvis newsgroups.

If it's true SHAME on them!

I also enjoyed reading how he recounted the night that Jerry Lee was @ the gates and wanted to see Elvis and he was brandishing a gun, Harold said he had to call Elvis from the guardhouse (he was the one on duty) and tell him and Elvis became agitated and when Elvis became agitated he'd talk faster and faster.

Harold was a good man, I agree.
    However, like the rest of the Presley's, he really wasn't included in Priscilla's big plan.
    If your an Elvis fan, no explanation is necessary....
    If your not, no explanation is possible!

Quote Originally Posted by RS277 View Post
    Harold was a good man, I agree.
    However, like the rest of the Presley's, he really wasn't included in Priscilla's big plan.
    I agree!
    And his last name wasn't Beaulieu or Hovey. That irks me to no end...how her sister became the expert @ Graceland, etc...I'll never know. And her husband the used car salesman, jeez, he was trained by Jerry Schilling then Jerry was let go, how Jerry is still friends w/Pris I'll never understand.

I met Harold almost 20 years ago at Graceland and spent an hour or so with him. He was a nice guy.

Now his son has written a book, but I'm not really interested in it.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    I met Harold almost 20 years ago at Graceland and spent an hour or so with him. He was a nice guy.

Now his son has written a book, but I'm not really interested in it.
    You did? How fantastic is that, go you!
    He has? When? Is it not very good?

We met Uncle Vester, he was as sweet as sweet could be. I wish we'd seen Harold when we were there.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
    He has? When? Is it not very good?
    No, I meant I'm just not interested in another book from a family member, especially from someone whom Elvis rarely saw.

I'm sure it's a good read, but it will undoubtedly add nothing new to the Presley literary pantheon.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/book...f_a_king.shtml
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

No, I meant I'm just not interested in another book from a family member, especially from someone whom Elvis rarely saw.

I'm sure it's a good read, but it will undoubtedly add nothing new to the Presley literary pantheon.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/book...f_a_king.shtml
    Gotcha!
    Hmmm you know your prob. quite right on that, I tend not to buy books written by "family" who either weren't there, or Elvis barely knew or they just plain old fabricate (Donna Early). LOL

Thank you very much for the link, nice to look at as curiousity but nothing more.

Elvis Australia, I love that site as well, Jordan's Elvis World and Australian website I rock.
    I so need to put in on my links page, I rarely mess w/that part of my site but I need to remember to put a link, not to self. LOL

K interesting.
    But how was Elvis best' man at his parents wedding when was he even born then? And if so, he couldn't have been very old at the time they married, not old enough to be best man I wouldn't think????????????????
    And by what I just read when I posted above, he worked for Graceland til the late 90's. Hmmmm?????

I found this sad!

Elvis offered Harold a job at Graceland for three weeks in 1961 and he stayed until the late 1990's, until he got too ill to work. Instead of giving Harold a prestigious job greeting the fans as Elvis' cousin, like nearly all the family, he was treated abysmally His job was tearing ticket stubs outside the Trophy Room in the heat, or cold or rain and he developed a bad condition in his hands.

The last time I saw him in the early 1990's he was planning to sue EPE for an industrial injury. He had to have triple by-pass surgery in 1999 but received no help from Graceland having worked there for about 37 years. In Elvis' will it said that his family should be looked after in such cases but when you are running up debts of $25 million I suppose it must be so hard to care for Elvis' family as well. Harold died in January 2002 and neither Lisa nor Priscilla acknowledged his death according to the Elvis newsgroups.

If it's true SHAME on them!

I also enjoyed reading how he recounted the night that Jerry Lee was @ the gates and wanted to see Elvis and he was brandishing a gun, Harold said he had to call Elvis from the guardhouse (he was the one on duty) and tell him and Elvis became agitated and when Elvis became agitated he'd talk faster and faster.
    I've never read that in Elvis' will. A lot of people seemed to think they were in Elvis' will.
    Guess they were all mistaken. Don't know if Vernons would change things or not. Apparently it did as Priscilla was named as one of the executors in Vernons.

I've never been too concerned about any of Elvis' relatives , friends. girlfriends etc. Just Elvis.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I've never read that in Elvis' will. A lot of people seemed to think they were in Elvis' will.
    Item IV: Residuary Trust

(b) After payment of all expenses, taxes and costs incurred in
    the management of the expenses, taxes and costs incurred in the
    management of the trust estate, the Trustee is authorizes to
    accumulate the net income or to pay or apply so much of the net
    income and such portion of the principal at any time and from
    time to time to time for health, education, support, comfortable
    maintenance and welfare of
    : (1) My daughter, Lisa
    Marie Presley, and any other lawful issue I might have, (2) my
    grandmother, Minnie Mae Presley, (3) my father, Vernon E.
    Presley, and (4) such other relatives of mine living at the time
    of my death who in the absolute discretion of my Trustees are in
    need of emergency assistance for any of the above mentioned
    purposes
    and the Trustee is able to make such distribution
    without affecting the ability of the trust to meet the present
    needs of the first three numbered categories of beneficiaries
    herein mentioned or to meet the reasonably expected future needs
    of the first three classes of beneficiaries herein mentioned.
    Any decision of the Trustee as to whether or not distribution,
    to any of the persons described hereunder shall be final and
    conclusive and not subject to question by any legatee or
    beneficiary hereunder.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Item IV: Residuary Trust

(b) After payment of all expenses, taxes and costs incurred in
    the management of the expenses, taxes and costs incurred in the
    management of the trust estate, the Trustee is authorizes to
    accumulate the net income or to pay or apply so much of the net
    income and such portion of the principal at any time and from
    time to time to time for health, education, support, comfortable
    maintenance and welfare of
    : (1) My daughter, Lisa
    Marie Presley, and any other lawful issue I might have, (2) my
    grandmother, Minnie Mae Presley, (3) my father, Vernon E.
    Presley, and (4) such other relatives of mine living at the time
    purposes
    and the Trustee is able to make such distribution
    without affecting the ability of the trust to meet the present
    needs of the first three numbered categories of beneficiaries
    herein mentioned or to meet the reasonably expected future needs
    of the first three classes of beneficiaries herein mentioned.
    Any decision of the Trustee as to whether or not distribution,
    to any of the persons described hereunder shall be final and
    conclusive and not subject to question by any legatee or
    beneficiary hereunder.
    Thank you from saving me the typing and or search!

So yes in fact Elvis did leave instructions for provisions for family members in need.

Harold lit my candle during the first vigil I ever attended at Elvis week way back.I met him a few times in Memphis.Later he came to my hometown for an Elvis convention.A very nice man.Always had time for the fans.Back in the 70's he would always tell fans about the Graceland Elvis fanclub.He was always an ambassador for Elvis.My wife knew him pretty well back then.He signed my wife up to the fan club one day at the gates in 76.I.ve never heard a bad word about him.
    Jak

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    Harold lit my candle during the first vigil I ever attended at Elvis week way back.I met him a few times in Memphis.Later he came to my hometown for an Elvis convention.A very nice man.Always had time for the fans.Back in the 70's he would always tell fans about the Graceland Elvis fanclub.He was always an ambassador for Elvis.My wife knew him pretty well back then.He signed my wife up to the fan club one day at the gates in 76.I.ve never heard a bad word about him.
    Jak
    Thank you for sharing that, he sounds like he was quite a good guy. Seems the good one's got shafted in the end. Except for Vester...or did he as well, like I said saw him in '78 and '83, but what happened after that? I know they didn't attend his funeral.

"(4) such other relatives of mine living at the time
    purposes "

Any of the Trustees were free to act as they saw fit.
    Evidently, they didn't see fit. It's legal mumbo jumbo to get around many things. Been there; seen that in real life .
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

MissyM
    But here is where the problem comes in: So I guess they were not under any legal obligation to do so. I shake my head when I read that. Vernon was wasn't that healthy.

(c) Upon the death of my Father, Vernon E. Presley, the Trustee
    is instructed to make no further distributions to the fourth
    category of beneficiaries and such beneficiaries shall cease to
    have any interest whatsoever in this trust.

Quote Originally Posted by MissyM View Post
    But here is where the problem comes in: So I guess they were not under any legal obligation to do so. I shake my head when I read that. Vernon was wasn't that healthy.

(c) Upon the death of my Father, Vernon E. Presley, the Trustee
    is instructed to make no further distributions to the fourth
    category of beneficiaries and such beneficiaries shall cease to
    have any interest whatsoever in this trust.

Hmmm so Elvis just made it so that at the time of his death (and only this time) relatives in need could get assistance? Wonder why he put that stipulation in?

Vernon wasn't well, but Vernon wasn't out of his mind, I say again...he had a heart condition not mental incapacity. He knew full well what he was doing.

MissyM
    I don't know why he put that in there. I'm going with protecting Lisa. Oh I agree Vernon was very much "of sound mind".

Hmmm so Elvis just made it so that at the time of his death (and only this time) relatives in need could get assistance? Wonder why he put that stipulation in?

Vernon wasn't well, but Vernon wasn't out of his mind, I say again...he had a heart condition not mental incapacity. He knew full well what he was doing.

Well, that might be debateable.

I usually dont have many bad things to say about Lisa or Priscilla.Mainly because they dont particualry interest me either way.However they both have dropped the ball when it comes to Elvis relatives and even the employees that worked at Graceland when Elvis was alive.They had no obligation to do anything personally for them.I think just to be decent they should have and should do more.People like Mama Pauline lived in basically a shack with social security and that's it.They should have provided them with a little financial support.Even a a small monthly check.Letting them cook dinner at Graceland during the holiday was like throwing them a small bone.They have the money and I think they could have done more for the people that worked at graceland for so many years.It was like a family from all acounts.
    Jak

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast