Thread: Elvis' Voice Vol II

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

Elvis' Voice Vol II

Thought I would build on a previous thread and ask the question, What was In your opinion the most challenging song vocally for Elvis and why?

Did Elvis pull it off?

Was there certain time periods where Elvis did this better?

Was it a live or recorded or was it recorded and done better live.

A lot to ask but a I'm sure you'll come up with the goods

Coming On Strong
    On record one of them may have been "Surrender". When I saw him in '76 I think the best 2 songs vocally were "Hurt" and "America".

Steve
    I think Elvis his voice was perfect for Bridge Over Troubled Water,
    Elvis sings it very well in the 1970 (TTWII).
    But when Elvis growd older is voice came better, So the Bridge Over.... in the
    periode from 1976,1977 is the best.
    And you hear Elvis sing his soul out.

The same for My Way (live), it's very very good.
    But the best Version is on the 70 box set "walk a mile in my shoes"
    Here is a studio version from (????) 1972, I think it is.
    And you here Elvis his voice cracking, you here the feelings in the song.
    Just like he is very sad, and he is crying.
    This is my favorite studio song (balled) of all the Elvis songs.
    just lissen to it!!!!

Elvis sing a very wonderful version of 'America The Beautiful' (Goodbye Memphis,July 03,1976 concert ) also 'Unchained Melody' .

In my opinion Elvis always put all his heart out in most of his songs, especially the gospel one : How Great Thou Art, Why Me Lord ( from Live in Memphis 03-20-1974 concert), When Noone Stands Alone ( Moody Blue and Other Great Performances ,Charlotte,NC 02-21-1977,Montgomery,AL 02-16-1977)

But as a woman,...i always get goosebumps when elvis sings love song especially " And I Love You So.." and "Mine..."

Coming On Strong
    Hey Steve, I agree he did a great job on Bridge Over Troubled Water. The only problem is after I heard him do it there's no way I could listen to Simon and Garfinkle.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn53
    Hey Steve, I agree he did a great job on Bridge Over Troubled Water. The only problem is after I heard him do it there's no way I could listen to Simon and Garfinkle.
    I agree with you , elvis version of Bridge Over trouble Water IS better

Smile

Hi everyone!

I'm new here. To me one of Elvis' best vocals is on "For Ol' Times Sake" from the stax sessions. It isn't bombastic but he sings it with a feeling that only comes from experience. The way he sings the bridge nearly always chokes me up.

International Level
    it dosent matter year i like of Elvis's music,.because i like it all.
    but i really do like the soung called "It Hurts me" from 1963 and again in 1968
    for the 1968 comeback.( and i wish he took this song into his 1970s concert).

same gose for "Fame and Fortune" 1960 (and again here it would be nice to hear this live on stage in the 1970's)

I also like the song he did for the good times album.'If That isn't love"
    i wish he did this live but he never did.

and i also like 2 songs from "That's The Way it is" 1.The next Step Is Love.
    2.Stranger In The Crowd. and one more this make it 3. Just Prented.

and sometime i do like "Three corn patchs" but i am glad that he didnt try to do this live.
    Last edited by curtis simpkins; 08-29-2004 at 12:21 AM.
    Curtis Simpkins

Long Live Vinyl. :worthy:

Backstage Pass
    I would have to say "Bridge Over Troubled Water" It was a song I used to hate with a passion, whenever I heard Art garfunkel's vocals, (Sorry but I detest the sound of his voice, it has the same effect on me as someone scraping their nails down a blackboard !) but after hearing Elvis sing it I fell in love with the song, it is almost spiritual, plus the fact when my little boy was in hospital seriously ill I came home and put the cd player on random just to break the silence and this was the first song that came on, as daft as it sounds it was almost as if he was singing it just for me. (My little boy made a complete recovery,BTW) :worthy:
    "When You Let Your Head get Too Big, It'll Break your Neck" Elvis Presley.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbi
    Hi everyone!

I'm new here. To me one of Elvis' best vocals is on "For Ol' Times Sake" from the stax sessions. It isn't bombastic but he sings it with a feeling that only comes from experience. The way he sings the bridge nearly always chokes me up.
    Welcome to the board Abbi

KEV.
    HELLO,I MUST BE GOING.

SAM...it"s been a privilege to be called your best mate.17.03.55 - 24.01.08

http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/HankGarlandBio.html

kennyelvis
    I have never understud what`s so special about that "America" song
    "Bridge" is a very good song when it comes to using his voice, so is "my way"
    I am a real 70`s freak, and when i listen to Elvis, it`s only the 70`s i hear, but when it come to his best vocally challenging i would say "SURRENDER"

The most challenging vocal part could be "Heart of rome" in the second verse he sings on the edge of breaking it,so is "Rags to riches."
    JohanD

"And i'm never gonna cease my wondering..."

kennyelvis
    "Heart of Rome" are a good song
    "I`ll take a piss in every fountain"

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Welcome, Abbi. I know what you mean about the bridge in FOTS--it's the best part of the song. I love to sing that one.

America The Beautiful--I love it and I don't just think it's because of my patriotism. I love all the big endings, and ATB sure has one. The best one he ever did, to my ears, was in Cincinnati, March 21, '76. That one had a double-whammy in terms of wicked-high notes. (He goes way up where I've got the all caps.)...Ame-ri-IIIIIII-caaaa-AAAAAAAA! Come on, Kenny. If nothing else, that ending has got to give you chills.

If I Can Dream has to be one of the most challenging songs he did. It didn't necessarily have to be, but the way Elvis sang it--whew! I can't imagine being able to sing more than one take of that song like that and having any voice left. And I think for that song, that type of singing was perfect.

Hurt for sure is one--back to the big endings. The studio version I'm not too wild about, especially after hearing some of the amazing live versions. My favorites are probably from Dallas and Birmingham, Dec. 28 & 29, '76, and Indianapolis June 26, '77.

Certainly Surrender and It's Now Or Never are amazing vocal performances. When those songs came out, that may have been the first time that some of the real stubborn Elvis detractors were forced to admit to themselves, "OK, this guy really can sing!" Of course, if those songs didn't have the operatic flavor and weren't re-writes of famous old Italian songs, they probably wouldn't have been as open to them. But I digress.

What Now My Love, Trilogy, Just Pretend, How Great Thou Art...no disputing those.

It's Only Love, Never Again, Loving Arms, He Touched Me, Padre, Love Coming Down, Make The World Go Away, It's Over, My Boy, Shake A Hand, I'll Never Fall In Love Again, The Sound Of Your Cry, Where No One Stands Alone and many others deserve an honorable mention.

Didn't name many from the sixties, and none from the fifties. Well, I think that's because I'd like to name a lot of the soft ballads from the sixties, but since he pulled them off with such apparent ease, I don't know that they were that challenging for him. But they would otherwise seem to be very difficult to pull off in the manner that he did. OK, Jailhouse Rock, Hard Headed Woman, and songs like that seem to me like they would just ravage your voice in a short amount of time, so I would have to include those as well.

Guess that's enough for now.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyelvis
    I have never understud what`s so special about that "America" song
    "Bridge" is a very good song when it comes to using his voice, so is "my way"
    I am a real 70`s freak, and when i listen to Elvis, it`s only the 70`s i hear, but when it come to his best vocally challenging i would say "SURRENDER"
    Oh come on kenny,..hang loose ..
    If you were american you would understand why...the lyrics, listen to it carefully its really something, the way elvis sang it was increadible..i heard many kids in USA tried to sing the song it was just flat, elvis he put some harmony into it also thank you for his back up singers that make the song even more awesome

When i talk about "his best voice" i would say that you can hear his voice the best in "the gospels"....with these songs he really proved witch voice he had...
    Songs like "how great thou art" and "amazing grace", WOW......
    yes, i'm a '70's freak but the Gospel songs from 50 and 60, are as good as the 70's gospels......
    So i prefer his voice in a gospelsong

Backstage Pass
    unchained melody june 21, 1977

he put such a painful lonely goodbye-like tone in there and sang it so painfully sweet and not even making it sound a thing like the other versions...the accentuated vocals and sorrowful lyrics make it much different...it wasnt a love song. it became about going home to heaven and for heaven to wait for him.

its not a technical masterpiece, it's an emotional masterpiece.
    "Elvis, we're talking about shooting from the waist down, and not being able to touch hands with body, or body with hands, excuse me. I just got this show off the air boy"

TCB Mafia
    I think there would be alot more mentioned if we were not talking about Elvis.
    In the 50's...can you really see anyone else singing Jailhouse Rock elvis style and pulling it off ? Or A big Hunk O' Love ? There are others of course, they were just the first that came to mind. I Got Stung is another.........

60's...as Bobby has already said he pulled so many off with such ease....even the ones that have been mentioned...i think he got them pretty easy. Surrender is an awesome vocal performance as is Its Now Or Never. What about There's Always Me? and It Hurts Me...and of course If I Can Dream and several of the Memphis session songs. Vocally Elvis got them everytime.

The 70's got even more impressive. Especially ( but not limited to ) Live recordings. Most that spring to mind have already been mentioned. How Great Thou Art, Hurt, Trilogy, Trouble (73 style),Bridge,You've lost that lovin' feelin' ( the way elvis sang it ), to name just a few that spring to mind.

The small bit of I Really Don't want to know....Darling...I..Love...you so....always has the hairs tingling

As i said at the top...for other artists there would have been pages of songs( had they had tried to record what elvis did )....but for Elvis...all in a days work
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis' Babe
    unchained melody june 21, 1977

he put such a painful lonely goodbye-like tone in there and sang it so painfully sweet and not even making it sound a thing like the other versions...the accentuated vocals and sorrowful lyrics make it much different...it wasnt a love song. it became about going home to heaven and for heaven to wait for him.

its not a technical masterpiece, it's an emotional masterpiece.
    It's a moving performance for sure, particularly with the video to accompany it, but I always listen to the April version if I want to hear great singing. You can detect the struggling with breath control the whole way through the June version. In April, it's delivered far better and includes the superb high 'long lonely time' part which Elvis wasn't comfortable enough to go for in the June performance. To my ears, the two don't compare.

Other amazing vocal performances include Surrender, Feel So Bad (much more difficult to sing than it sounds), Playing for Keeps, Jailhouse Rock, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Just Pretend, American Trilogy and Hurt. I like the extra note added to the end of the live versions of Hurt, but the studio version is better overall.

Cadillac King
    I think that the 70's wre the best years. Elvis voice had grown. Songs that I love to hear are: If I can dream, Help me, Life, Talk about the good times, Hurt, I'll remember you and many more.

Be safe and take care,

Christel (TCE)