Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: December 5th 1976 9pm Show...A fan remembers

Quote Originally Posted by BradM View Post
    Tonight I listened to Elvis' 9m performance on December 5th 1976 Las Vegas concert..I found this review of a fan who was at the show and wanted to share it with you. Let me warn you, it's not a warm feeling you get after reading it.

"It's December 5th 1976, and again we're seated at the back of the Hilton Show Room. We're to witness the 9 o clock show that Sunday evening. After some 25 minutes of Jackie Kahane, we look at our watches and wonder why hasn't he closed his act yet. Behine the gold coloured curtain we see some movement. Kahane walks to the curtain and listens for a minute or two. "Ladies and gentlement I'm being asked to go on just a little bit longer there seems to be a few minor problems upstairs in Elvis' suite. Elvis seemingly Sprained his ankle, But don't you worry, he'll be on stage shortly. Long Intermission...Lights Dim.

'Also Sprach Zarathustra' begins. The curtain goes up and the band rips into a beat. Our eyes from the left to the right side of the stage. We are nervous, and so are the musicians. Wilkinson and Burton look at each other like 'what the hell is going on'. Finally There's Elvis!

From the left side of the stage, Elvis leaning on Charlie Hodge, LIMPS on. He looks bad. His face is pale and bloated, and his hair wet and hanging down over his eyes. It's like he came out from under the shower. The band's playing is very tense. It's an eerie atmosphere when Charlie hands Elvis his guitar. He grins sleepishly and stumbles to the microphone. My first impression of seeing him like this is that of a man who has had to many drinks. After finishing "See See Rider" he explains to the audience why hes late. A not-so-convincing story about having slipped in the bathroom and sprained his ankle. His voice is slurred and he is not in control of his body movements.

Elvis continue's with "I got a women" and then spends more time talking. His voice sounds weak, his eyes are glazed. " Blue Christmas" and "That's Allright" are followed by Elvis asking the audience if they wouldn't mind if he sat down. Someone from the audience requests "Are You Lonesome Tonight". After finishing the song Elvis starts boasting about his Black Diamond ring. In a very low melodramatic voice he says, "I swear to God (pause) it took me 14 years to find a black diamond Stone". And on and on he goes.

By now, Elvis' speech is boring the pants off many a punter in the audience and when several people, close to us, start clapping their hands and stomping their feet in a demanding way, Elvis pauses for a second and says, " We got a tap dance formation in the back". He continues his speech and people start to leave the showroom. Meanwhile the musicians behine Elvis are getting very annoyed with what is going on in front of them. The tension in the show room and onstage is getting worse and worse. More and More people leaving the showroom muttering they want their money back. Just when things are at an all time low, Elvis snaps out of it and his mind returns from twilight zone. Slowly he climbs from the stool, the legs still abit shaky but the voice is less slurred. From there on things do improve, although none of the songs that follow reach the performing quality of the previous nights.

After about an hour he thanks the audience, sings "Can't Help Falling In Love" and walks off stage..WITHOUT LIMPING ONCE!

"The review is respectfully borrowed from Elvis The Man And His Music NO.18 Published in March of 1993.
    Since some don't comprehend staying on topic am swinging it back!

Brad thank you SO MUCH for posting this, truly lovely to read...nice to know that he was still capable of putting on a great show, sad that not all were that way.

I've gone back over many of these posts on this volatile thread and came to a conclusion.It looks like everybody knows Elvis gave poor concerts.Even the real fans which I guess Im not.It just appears that the real fans have dictated that we are not supposed to talk about poor shows openly.Those things are best forgotten about.It's all much clearer now.
    Jak

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
    Since some don't comprehend staying on topic am swinging it back! Hopefully they'll eventually understand the concept of staying on topic and not ruining prefectly good threads.

Originally Posted by BradM
    Tonight I listened to Elvis' 9m performance on December 5th 1976 Las Vegas concert..I found this review of a fan who was at the show and wanted to share it with you. Let me warn you, it's not a warm feeling you get after reading it.

"It's December 5th 1976, and again we're seated at the back of the Hilton Show Room. We're to witness the 9 o clock show that Sunday evening. After some 25 minutes of Jackie Kahane, we look at our watches and wonder why hasn't he closed his act yet. Behine the gold coloured curtain we see some movement. Kahane walks to the curtain and listens for a minute or two. "Ladies and gentlement I'm being asked to go on just a little bit longer there seems to be a few minor problems upstairs in Elvis' suite. Elvis seemingly Sprained his ankle, But don't you worry, he'll be on stage shortly. Long Intermission...Lights Dim.

'Also Sprach Zarathustra' begins. The curtain goes up and the band rips into a beat. Our eyes from the left to the right side of the stage. We are nervous, and so are the musicians. Wilkinson and Burton look at each other like 'what the hell is going on'. Finally There's Elvis!

From the left side of the stage, Elvis leaning on Charlie Hodge, LIMPS on. He looks bad. His face is pale and bloated, and his hair wet and hanging down over his eyes. It's like he came out from under the shower. The band's playing is very tense. It's an eerie atmosphere when Charlie hands Elvis his guitar. He grins sleepishly and stumbles to the microphone. My first impression of seeing him like this is that of a man who has had to many drinks. After finishing "See See Rider" he explains to the audience why hes late. A not-so-convincing story about having slipped in the bathroom and sprained his ankle. His voice is slurred and he is not in control of his body movements.

Elvis continue's with "I got a women" and then spends more time talking. His voice sounds weak, his eyes are glazed. " Blue Christmas" and "That's Allright" are followed by Elvis asking the audience if they wouldn't mind if he sat down. Someone from the audience requests "Are You Lonesome Tonight". After finishing the song Elvis starts boasting about his Black Diamond ring. In a very low melodramatic voice he says, "I swear to God (pause) it took me 14 years to find a black diamond Stone". And on and on he goes.

By now, Elvis' speech is boring the pants off many a punter in the audience and when several people, close to us, start clapping their hands and stomping their feet in a demanding way, Elvis pauses for a second and says, " We got a tap dance formation in the back". He continues his speech and people start to leave the showroom. Meanwhile the musicians behine Elvis are getting very annoyed with what is going on in front of them. The tension in the show room and onstage is getting worse and worse. More and More people leaving the showroom muttering they want their money back. Just when things are at an all time low, Elvis snaps out of it and his mind returns from twilight zone. Slowly he climbs from the stool, the legs still abit shaky but the voice is less slurred. From there on things do improve, although none of the songs that follow reach the performing quality of the previous nights.

After about an hour he thanks the audience, sings "Can't Help Falling In Love" and walks off stage..WITHOUT LIMPING ONCE!

"The review is respectfully borrowed from Elvis The Man And His Music NO.18 Published in March of 1993.
    Brad thank you SO MUCH for posting this, truly lovely to read...nice to know that he was still capable of putting on a great show, sad that not all were that way.
    just for you, muah.

Please stay on topic and stop getting personal with each other.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678