Thread: "Inside Graceland" by Nancy Rooks (maid/cook)

"Inside Graceland" by Nancy Rooks (maid/cook)

I just want to say, this is the sweetest book I think I've read so far concerning Elvis. This lady writes about different things, ancedotes, etc. from behind the Graceland walls.

It really makes me feel "warm and fuzzy" inside reading this book....

Sorry, just had to share...

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    I like Nancy..she seems like a real sweet lady. She is also interviewed on E! Truehollywood Story Elvis The Final Days.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

I agree with you wholeheartedly, it's really a nice little book! And Nancy writes it in such a 'normal way', you get the feeling to be there with all of them....

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Clawdy View Post
    I agree with you wholeheartedly, it's really a nice little book! And Nancy writes it in such a 'normal way', you get the feeling to be there with all of them....
    I especially like reading about Elvis wanting her to come in and sing with him....and then they both forgot the words and would hum....remember a word...hum....and laugh. How sweet is that? That is the Elvis I want to remember.....what a sweet, sweet story this is. She doesn't side track the pill thing, but she doesn't dwell on it either....I just started reading this, but it's not a very big book at all....I will be so sad when I finish....

I loved it too!

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by ksimms2 View Post
    I especially like reading about Elvis wanting her to come in and sing with him....and then they both forgot the words and would hum....remember a word...hum....and laugh. How sweet is that? That is the Elvis I want to remember.....what a sweet, sweet story this is. She doesn't side track the pill thing, but she doesn't dwell on it either....I just started reading this, but it's not a very big book at all....I will be so sad when I finish....
    That IS sweet! I also liked reading about him playing his jokes on everyone and taking things so easy, like the day they almost burned the house down, lol. I won't tell more as you haven't read it yet, and yes I am sure you will be sad when you finish But till then, enjoy!

Loving elvis
    l'am glad your enjoying that book Kelly. You feel like you there with her while your reading the book. I just hope you can see though my son's wonderful colour job lol

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    l'am glad your enjoying that book Kelly. You feel like you there with her while your reading the book. I just hope you can see though my son's wonderful colour job lol
    Yes Jen, I am enjoying it very much! Your son's coloring is not so bad...lol. You have no idea how much I appreciate you loaning this to me. I will mail it back as soon as I'm done.....

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by ksimms2 View Post
    Yes Jen, I am enjoying it very much! Your son's coloring is not so bad...lol. You have no idea how much I appreciate you loaning this to me. I will mail it back as soon as I'm done.....
    take your time kelly, will send your book back to when l'am done.

I liked it too. I was asked by someone recently why I keep buying so many books on the same topic, the reason is because like with this one with each
    one you get a different take. Sure some of the stories over lap and get repeated but I almost always come away with something new.

JD

Hmmm...guess I'll have to buy that one, also! Sounds great.
    ...you're moving on the back roads, by the rivers of my memory and for hours you're just gentle on my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    I liked it too. I was asked by someone recently why I keep buying so many books on the same topic, the reason is because like with this one with each
    one you get a different take. Sure some of the stories over lap and get repeated but I almost always come away with something new.

JD
    JDD, you are so right! Depending on who's version you read - the story is the same - but the way it's told is different.....

I just liked Nancy and her way of expressing things.
    Felt like she was "one of us." Seemed to "know "Elvis better as he really was.
    Very refeshing to me.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Mad Tigers
    I loved this book also and felt like Nancy was talking to me in my living room! Has anyone read Mary Jenkin's book "Beyond Graceland's Gates" or something with a similar title. It's tucked away and I've forgotten the exact title, but like Nancy's book, it was a real warm portrayal of Elvis as a person.

Coming On Strong
    Itīs good to get these different views of Elvis and his life. You can put them all together, and you get a picture of how he was as a man too, not just the superstar...

I just read the part about the day he died....did you know she was the first one upstairs when Ginger called down to her? Nobody else was around at that very moment and she ran upstairs - but - she didn't go into the bathroom all the way. She says because it was his inner sanctum and she wasn't sure of the situation so she kept calling for him, "Mr. Elvis, are you alright?" "Mr. Elvis?"....she said she saw him through the large mirror they had in that room....saw his reflection. She could tell something horrible was wrong and ran and got Al Strada (I think) because he was just walking in the door downstairs........guys...I have to tell you.....reading this.....oh my word. I felt like I was there in that house during this.....it is so, so sad.

I read that she said she went up first ,then ran down to get Al Strada.
    It was a very sad story IMO. Maybe why it was so much more touching, than some other reports.
    I enjoyed hearing her story as if talking to a friend.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."