Thread: How Great Thou Art>>Best Live Version

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

How Great Thou Art>>Best Live Version

This is my favorite gospel songs Elvis recorded besides his brilliant version of "You'll Never Walk Alone".

As we all know, Elvis permformed HGTA on several differenct occasions in the 70's. What would be your top 3 performances of this song.

Here's my 3 that I think were the best..

1. December 13th 1975 "Just Pretend"--Elvis' voice was absolutley brillian imo. Reaching incredible notes still gives me chill bumps everytime I hear it.

2. March 20th 1974 Memhpis- This version is great also, the awesome sound on the Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis album makes it that much better.

3. June 19th 1977 Omaha, NE-I'm going to go with the CBS version hear..I know it was not at all a good show but something about watching Elvis perform it this night..looking closley in his eyes toward the sky it was like he was searching for something..spiritual perhaps. It's just always been a really sentimental performace to me..

What versions would you perfer...
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

thats an easy pick June CBS SPECIAL 77 version of that song is the best....it dosent get any better than that. it EASILY BEATS THE MEMPHIS 74 VERSION
    Last edited by epmoodyblue; 11-11-2007 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by epmoodyblue View Post
    thats an easy pick June CBS SPECIAL 77 version of that song is the best....it dosent get any better than that. it EASLIY BEATS THE MEMPHIS 74 VERSION
    Wasn't the ending from Omaha just amazing..
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

thats an easy pick June CBS SPECIAL 77 version of that song is the best....it dosent get any better than that. it EASLIY BEATS THE MEMPHIS 74 VERSION
    I agree, I have the album...and good grief I cant remember the title, but he is in the white suite w/the black embroidery, and you open the album up and it's got photo's, almost like a book, on ea. side, it was the CBS special album. Anyway, my favorite version of "How Great Thou Art" is on there.

I also enjoy the version from the Jungle Room session 1976.

I like All Versions, One I like most is From April 18, 1972 Show. San Antonio, TX.

Tom
    Take a look at you and me,,Are we too blind to see, Do we Simply turn our heads and look the other way.....(Line From "in The Ghetto")

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
    I agree, I have the album...and good grief I cant remember the title, but he is in the white suite w/the black embroidery, and you open the album up and it's got photo's, almost like a book, on ea. side, it was the CBS special album. Anyway, my favorite version of "How Great Thou Art" is on there.

I also enjoy the version from the Jungle Room session 1976.
    The suite you are referring to is the Black Phoenix

That picture was used for the album cover of "EIC".

You must be mistaken on your last comment, because "How Great Thou Art" was not in the Jungle Room Sessions

Quote Originally Posted by BradM View Post
    Wasn't the ending from Omaha just amazing..
    YEP THE FINAL NOTES WERE INDEED JUST AMAZING..always king right until the end .. i bet that arena in omaha must of been shaking when elvis hit those incredible notes of HGTA

YEP THE FINAL NOTES WERE INDEED JUST AMAZING..always king right until the end .. i bet that arena in omaha must of been shaking when elvis hit those incredible notes of HGTA
    I agree my friend

It's great to see that theres still fans out there who truly appreciate the music Elvis was making in 1977 despite of everything else.

I agree my friend

It's great to see that theres still fans out there who truly appreciate the music Elvis was making in 1977 despite of everything else.
    but of course i love and apreciateelvis in all of his concert years who cares if he put on a few pounds nothing changes.he was still always beautiful and could still give dynamite concerts when he felt like it.. better than anybody else on the planet..even in the last 2 years of his life... alwayssssssssssssss king..my favorite concert years are 75-76-77

but of course i love and apreciateelvis in all of his concert years who cares if he put on a few pounds nothing changes.he was still always beautiful and could still give dynamite concerts when he felt like it.. better than anybody else on the planet..even in the last 2 years of his life... alwayssssssssssssss king..my favorite concert years are 75-76-77
    I'm alot like you then buddy, and I couldn't have put it any better

I'm a huge fan of Elvis' work in the later years..particularly 1977 and '76....to me Elvis filled those songs with so much emotion songs like And I Love You So, My Way, Hurt, Mountain, Unchained Melody...and thats what makes me love those years..

I like the version from Hampton Roads, VA on April 9, 1972 and the version that was released on "Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis".

The CBS "Elvis In Concert" version is good...not great, though.

I'm alot like you then buddy, and I couldn't have put it any better

I'm a huge fan of Elvis' work in the later years..particularly 1977 and '76....to me Elvis filled those songs with so much emotion songs like And I Love You So, My Way, Hurt, Mountain, Unchained Melody...and thats what makes me love those years..
    yep those are the same reasons why i like 76 -77 concerts so much.elvis voice was better than ever he sang his heart out like never before..listen to rages to riches in atlanta 76 or pittsburgh 76 etc .just outstanding live versions of those songs..i dont think elvis would of pulled it off to try and dare sing a live version of unchained melody or rags to riches in madison square garden in 72 when he was in top form no way.. in 76-77 elvis was way better vocally in concert than in 72 my humble opinion but i know im right
    Last edited by epmoodyblue; 11-12-2007 at 07:48 AM.

Well, I agree..imo, his voice just kept getting more powerfull and richer