Thread: This is how Elvis escaped the Empire Stadium riot via the trap play!!! (And More!!!)

Cool

Everything is fine now!
    Last edited by nolvis; 10-31-2007 at 08:15 PM.

Cool Elvis at Empire Stadium pulling off the great trap play!

Well like I said, please click on the image or writing to enlarge it so as to read it properly! I didn't realize that until my nephew helped me in my time of "stressful" need! (lol)

I'll put this great story up here also!-

VANCOUVER CELEBRATES THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF AN ELVIS RIOT
    by elvisblog on Sun 02 Sep 2007 05:53 AM EDT | Permanent Link | Cosmos
    Elvis lore is filled with stories of fans freaking out at his concerts in the 50s, but the biggest ruckus didn’t happen in this country. That honor goes to the Canadian city of Vancouver in British Columbia. Elvis’ concert at Empire Stadium on August 31, 1957, turned into a real mess. Reporter John Kirkwood wrote in the morning newspaper The Sun, "Vancouver teenagers…transformed into writhing, frenzied *****s of delight… The most disgusting exhibition of mass hysteria and lunacy this city has ever witnessed.”

So, you’d think the folks in Vancouver would let this bit of embarrassing history be quietly forgotten? Oh, no. Why not throw a party to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the event. I love the crazy stuff that goes on in Elvisworld.

The celebration took place on the same date, and the man who hosted the first one, legendary Vancouver DJ, Red Robinson, did it again. I hung out with Red some at Elvis Week, and he sure got a lot of calls from the media back home concerning the celebration. He complained about all the demands on his time when he should have been enjoying himself, but I know he loves all the attention.

Here’s a little history leading up to the original concert. Back in 1957, rock concerts were held in theaters, arenas, and auditoriums. Nobody had performed outside in football or baseball stadiums. So it was a big leap for the promoters in Vancouver to book Elvis into Empire Stadium. The stage was set up in the north end zone, and the crowd was seated in the stadium’s stands on either side of the football field. Portable steel fences were erected to keep the fans off the field, and local air cadets (college students?) were hired as security.

The seating configuration allowed a maximum attendance of 25,892 people, and every seat was sold. Tickets cost $1.50, $2.50, and $3.50, and total revenues came to $61,099. This number is interesting when compared to that spent on “security” – only $412. In retrospect, it seems the promoters might have shelled out a few more bucks for professional security protection.

Elvis came into Vancouver riding on a string of eight straight #1 hits, and he created fan hysteria at every concert on his tour. When Elvis hit the stage at Empire Stadium, a roar went up from the crowd unlike anything Vancouver had ever experienced. Red Robinson remembers that Elvis sang “Hound Dog,” “Jailhouse Rock” and a few other songs, but it’s doubtful the fans could hear him because of the constant shrieking.

They also could hardly see him. For most, he was just a tiny speck on the distant stage. All the fans were on their feet and moving closer, and soon they overwhelmed the air cadets. According to retired Vancouver Sun photographer Ralph Bower, “They knocked (the fence) over and… came like a herd of cattle. I was standing there and they ran right over the top of me.” John Kirkwood’s newspaper report the next day said, “It was like watching a demented army swarm down the hillside to do battle… when those frenzied teenagers stormed the field.”

Colonel Parker then pulled Elvis off stage and told him to tone down his act. He also admonished the crowd to calm down or Elvis would not continue the concert. Elvis came back and promptly ignored the Colonel’s words. Likewise, the fans’ hysteria continued to rise until Elvis and the band had to run from the stage in fear for their own safety. I love this quote from Elvis’ buddy George Kline, “The last thing we saw was the stage being turned over.” The concert lasted only 22 minutes.

The next day, DJ Red Robinson was on the air and said, “Wasn’t that wonderful. Elvis stayed at the Hotel Georgia, room 1226.” Even though Elvis had already departed, the fans were apparently still psyched up. Red continued, “The fans went up and ripped up the carpet and tore pieces out of the bed.” Red’s employer, radio station CKWX, had to pay almost $5,000 to repair the damage.

Things were a lot calmer during the 50th anniversary celebration this week. The party was held in Rogers Amphitheatre, and Joe Esposito, Elvis’ best friend, was guest of honor. Award-winning Canadian tribute artists Steve Elliott and Wally Tierner provided the musical entertainment. The promoters called it “one glorious night of stories, remembrances, and good old rock n’ roll.”

I wish I could have seen the celebration, but I really would have loved to be at the near-mythic event 50 years ago. Red, you are so lucky to do both

© 2007 Philip R Arnold
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails STORY FINISHED.JPG   nononoyes.jpg   ihfryu.jpg  

LastScan.jpg   untitled.JPG   mb cfdyth.jpg  

mhutre.jpg   12345.jpg   mjhder.jpg  

L09675rf.jpg  
    Last edited by nolvis; 10-31-2007 at 11:28 PM.

Ah yes! Part Two! Thank you so much, really enjoyed the stories! Especially the one where the son is now carrying his mother's concert stub. You did good with this one, Nolvis.

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

Cool

I was finally able to put the jigsaw puzzle together! (lol)

Here's another story partly told already!-

Anita Montague didn't like to deceive her father. But on Aug. 31, 1957, she felt she had no choice. Elvis Presley was playing at Empire Stadium and she was going to be there, come hell or high water.

"My dad was a very strict Italian, so we had to lie and say I was going baby-sitting in order to go to the show, 'cause I was only 16," she recounts.

Luckily, her mother was more understanding, and hatched a plan. Montague would meet up with family friend Lynn Jamieson, a policewoman who was working at the show.

View Larger Image
    Anita Montague, who saw Elvis perform in Vancouver, is surrounded by imitators Return to Sandor (from left), Rev. Elvis Cash, Brian (Elvis) Simpson and Ron Scott at the Old Admiral Pub in Burnaby, where the B.C. fan club marked the 30th anniversary of his death.
    Stuart Davis, Vancouver Sun

Font:****"Before the show, Lynn and some other police officers were outside Elvis's dressing room," says Montague.

"Of course, being 16 years old I'm hiding behind her, I'm shy, I'm really nervous. Elvis walked out and we kind of made eye contact and he smiled. He looked at Lynn and was teasing, asking her, 'Do you want a kiss?' She burst out laughing and said 'No, maybe [Montague] does.'"

Elvis strode off towards the stage. When he hit it, a roar went up from the crowd unlike anything Vancouver had experienced.

"Oh God, when he walked on that stage, I'm tellin' ya, my heart was just racing," Montague says. "Do you know what? I can't really remember the songs. I was just kind of mesmerized. Oh God, he was good lookin' . . . He was wiggling his little pelvis there. I'm just sitting there with my mouth open."

"He wasn't on that long. Some girl come runnin' across the field yellin' 'Elvis!' and started a riot. The next thing I knew I was on the ground."

Seeing the crowd of frenzied teenagers surge toward him, Elvis ran for his life. He jumped in a waiting convertible and drove off, never to set foot on a Vancouver stage again. The concert had lasted all of 22 minutes.

Fifty years later, the Elvis show has achieved near-mythic status. Vancouver was one of only three cities he ever played outside the United States, and the Empire Stadium show was the last performance he ever gave outside the U.S. There were 25,898 people in attendance, but it seems like double the number claim to have been there.

Noting this, the Pacific National Exhibition is marking the anniversary with a special Elvis show Aug. 31. Hosted by Vancouver's legendary rock-and-roll disc jockey Red Robinson -- the MC of the Empire Stadium show -- it will feature a couple of tribute acts, as well as appearances by the head of Elvis's "Memphis Mafia," Joe Esposito, and Michael Buble's manager Bruce Allen, a hardcore Elvis fan.

For Robinson, Elvis's Empire Stadium show was a life-changing experience.

"It was a madhouse," he recalls over the phone from Memphis, where he was taking part in week-long festivities marking the 30th anniversary of Elvis's death on Aug. 16, 1977.

"That was the first time there was ever a performer in front of 26,000 people in a rented stadium. Sinatra, Crosby, no one ever rented stadiums before him. For me, a 20-year-old kid, to stand out there in front of that many people, it drove me nuts."

Vancouver's first rock-and-roll show had taken place barely a year before, when Bill Haley and the Comets drew 6,000 people to the Kerrisdale Arena. Now Elvis had drawn a crowd over four times larger.

Anita Montague, who saw Elvis perform in Vancouver, is surrounded by imitators Return to Sandor (from left), Rev. Elvis Cash, Brian (Elvis) Simpson and Ron Scott at the Old Admiral Pub in Burnaby, where the B.C. fan club marked the 30th anniversary of his death.
    Photograph by : Stuart Davis, Vancouver Sun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 116037-36915.jpg  

Cool

Here is another great story regarding the riot!!!-

VANCOUVER CELEBRATES THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF AN ELVIS RIOT
    by elvisblog on Sun 02 Sep 2007 05:53 AM EDT | Permanent Link | Cosmos
    Elvis lore is filled with stories of fans freaking out at his concerts in the 50s, but the biggest ruckus didn’t happen in this country. That honor goes to the Canadian city of Vancouver in British Columbia. Elvis’ concert at Empire Stadium on August 31, 1957, turned into a real mess. Reporter John Kirkwood wrote in the morning newspaper The Sun, "Vancouver teenagers…transformed into writhing, frenzied *****s of delight… The most disgusting exhibition of mass hysteria and lunacy this city has ever witnessed.”

So, you’d think the folks in Vancouver would let this bit of embarrassing history be quietly forgotten? Oh, no. Why not throw a party to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the event. I love the crazy stuff that goes on in Elvisworld.

The celebration took place on the same date, and the man who hosted the first one, legendary Vancouver DJ, Red Robinson, did it again. I hung out with Red some at Elvis Week, and he sure got a lot of calls from the media back home concerning the celebration. He complained about all the demands on his time when he should have been enjoying himself, but I know he loves all the attention.

Here’s a little history leading up to the original concert. Back in 1957, rock concerts were held in theaters, arenas, and auditoriums. Nobody had performed outside in football or baseball stadiums. So it was a big leap for the promoters in Vancouver to book Elvis into Empire Stadium. The stage was set up in the north end zone, and the crowd was seated in the stadium’s stands on either side of the football field. Portable steel fences were erected to keep the fans off the field, and local air cadets (college students?) were hired as security.

The seating configuration allowed a maximum attendance of 25,892 people, and every seat was sold. Tickets cost $1.50, $2.50, and $3.50, and total revenues came to $61,099. This number is interesting when compared to that spent on “security” – only $412. In retrospect, it seems the promoters might have shelled out a few more bucks for professional security protection.

Elvis came into Vancouver riding on a string of eight straight #1 hits, and he created fan hysteria at every concert on his tour. When Elvis hit the stage at Empire Stadium, a roar went up from the crowd unlike anything Vancouver had ever experienced. Red Robinson remembers that Elvis sang “Hound Dog,” “Jailhouse Rock” and a few other songs, but it’s doubtful the fans could hear him because of the constant shrieking.

They also could hardly see him. For most, he was just a tiny speck on the distant stage. All the fans were on their feet and moving closer, and soon they overwhelmed the air cadets. According to retired Vancouver Sun photographer Ralph Bower, “They knocked (the fence) over and… came like a herd of cattle. I was standing there and they ran right over the top of me.” John Kirkwood’s newspaper report the next day said, “It was like watching a demented army swarm down the hillside to do battle… when those frenzied teenagers stormed the field.”

Colonel Parker then pulled Elvis off stage and told him to tone down his act. He also admonished the crowd to calm down or Elvis would not continue the concert. Elvis came back and promptly ignored the Colonel’s words. Likewise, the fans’ hysteria continued to rise until Elvis and the band had to run from the stage in fear for their own safety. I love this quote from Elvis’ buddy George Kline, “The last thing we saw was the stage being turned over.” The concert lasted only 22 minutes.

The next day, DJ Red Robinson was on the air and said, “Wasn’t that wonderful. Elvis stayed at the Hotel Georgia, room 1226.” Even though Elvis had already departed, the fans were apparently still psyched up. Red continued, “The fans went up and ripped up the carpet and tore pieces out of the bed.” Red’s employer, radio station CKWX, had to pay almost $5,000 to repair the damage.

Things were a lot calmer during the 50th anniversary celebration this week. The party was held in Rogers Amphitheatre, and Joe Esposito, Elvis’ best friend, was guest of honor. Award-winning Canadian tribute artists Steve Elliott and Wally Tierner provided the musical entertainment. The promoters called it “one glorious night of stories, remembrances, and good old rock n’ roll.”

I wish I could have seen the celebration, but I really would have loved to be at the near-mythic event 50 years ago. Red, you are so lucky to do both

© 2007 Philip R Arnold All Rights Reserved

yesss you finally posted the whole story, thanks a lot

Cally
    Thank you for your Brilliant Story

Cool

Your very welcome!

That is quite a story! Thank you for posting the rest of it Nolvis.

Diane

McGarrett
    That city is a true untamed bunch..

their team lost the stanley cup finals in 1994 and they rioted...

an untamed dangerous place it seems..

Cool

Your very welcome Diane! And as far as rioting during '94, well that was just a small hooligan ***** minority bunch that you find everywhere!!! And as far as Stanley Cups, well I'll have you know that in 1982, king richard, stan smyl, and tiger williams should have won the cup if not for complete destiny AND luck being with the islanders even though we were dominating them in their own rink the whole game pretty much!!!!! And the riot at Elvis' concert,well the description speaks for itself, so thank-you,thank-you very much and good night irene, er, ah I mean McGarrett!

p.s.- And like Elvis, that 82' team had so many character guy's like the ones i mentioned above,and seeing king richard hitting the camera with his glove after the game knowing they were robbed of what should have been sure victory,well that kind of heart and desire is just what Elvis was made of, giving it your all no matter what!!!!!
    Last edited by nolvis; 11-01-2007 at 06:46 AM.