Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The selling of Elvis, husband, best friend, etc.

International Level

Angry The selling of Elvis, husband, best friend, etc.

Alright, another controversial subject from yours truly. I hope to get some good discussion going that goes further than just one line opinions.

Okay, here goes.

Last week or so on Larry King Live, a few days late for the 27th anniversary of Elvis' passing, there was a panel of guests on that, at least, made me scratch my head. The obligatory "Elvis' best friend" Joe Esposito, Pamela Clarke Keough (hmmm, related to Lisa's ex perhaps? Surely Keough is not a very common name?) author of a new book on Elvis, two of the Stanley brothers, David and Ricky, and Barbara Eden, who did ONE movie with Elvis in 1960....... Of course during the "interviews" the new DVD's of Elvis and books and what have you were heavily promoted.

Questions: what do you all think of the ongoing Elvis circus of all the various players, including still Priscilla Beaulieu, telling about and in fact still selling Elvis. Besides the fact that we as fans do get products for our collections, but that's another story.

What do you all think of each individual member or former member of Elvis' extended family (former wife, ex-girlfriends, former MM's etc.) and what they in general have to say as compared to the roles they played while Elvis was actually still alive......

Again: curious Cherokee

Backstage Pass
    I guess they do help perpetuate the legend, but their comments and `memories' are often very dubious. I wish I could remember what happened 27 days ago as clearly as they seem to remember 27 years ago.
    I tend to think those that don't write books, seek-out TV interviews or make fans pay for their autographs are probably the most sincere.
    Al Dvorin could qualify in that category.
    rick
    rick

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Generally I don't have too big a problem with these people, unless they are just shamelessly plugging their books and DVDs at every opportunity while not really offering much else at their personal appearances. Basically it's all about how they present themselves. Overinflating their associations with Elvis is certainly annoying, and is usually pretty transparent.

Barbara Eden appearing on Larry King the other day did not bother me because, while her association with Elvis was brief and of course a long time ago, she didn't really have much to gain by being there, and so it seemed like she was just there with good intentions.

People who spent a lot of time with Elvis have plenty of right to talk about it, because it was part of their own lives. As long as people are interested in hearing them, then more power to them. But hopefully people can see through certain people's assertions that they were there at every event, and that Elvis confided the most in them, etc.

I don't personally want to get into naming names, but those people know who they are.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    But hopefully people can see through certain people's assertions that they were there at every event, and that Elvis confided the most in them, etc.

I don't personally want to get into naming names, but those people know who they are.
    You know, you're so right. I had to laugh when LK asked about August 16th, 1977 and they all start saying they were there, but not really THERE, there, just ..... there, in the vicinity and they all saw him being turned over. I was thinking, how big IS that bathroom that it can hold like a whole football team of people and was kind of waiting for Joe to say "Hey! only me and Al Strada were there, with Ginger in the door opening!" but Joe just sat there with this Sphinx like smile.

BTW I wonder if the biological father of the Stanleys (as in "The Daltons") still lives and if so, how must he feel when his dear offspring keeps saying "My daddy, Vernon Presley....."

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    Generally I don't have too big a problem with these people, unless they are just shamelessly plugging their books and DVDs at every opportunity while not really offering much else at their personal appearances. Basically it's all about how they present themselves. Overinflating their associations with Elvis is certainly annoying, and is usually pretty transparent.

Barbara Eden appearing on Larry King the other day did not bother me because, while her association with Elvis was brief and of course a long time ago, she didn't really have much to gain by being there, and so it seemed like she was just there with good intentions.

People who spent a lot of time with Elvis have plenty of right to talk about it, because it was part of their own lives. As long as people are interested in hearing them, then more power to them. But hopefully people can see through certain people's assertions that they were there at every event, and that Elvis confided the most in them, etc.

:worthy:

I'm sorry Cherokee

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by P.S. Annie
    :worthy:

I'm sorry Cherokee
    I'm stumped

What do you mean?

Mad Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    Pamela Clarke Keough (hmmm, related to Lisa's ex perhaps? Surely Keough is not a very common name?) author of a new book on Elvis,

Lisa's Ex-husband's name is spelled Keough, the woman who wrote Elvis Presley The Man The Life The Legend spells her name Pamela Clarke Keogh. I also wondered if she was related when I heard the name. Maybe the printers made a mistake on the book cover.

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis
    Lisa's Ex-husband's name is spelled Keough, the woman who wrote Elvis Presley The Man The Life The Legend spells her name Pamela Clarke Keogh. I also wondered if she was related when I heard the name. Maybe the printers made a mistake on the book cover.

You're right! Proves the theory that of a word only the first and last letter need to be in the right place for the reader to understand what word the writer meant to write (as long as the letters in between are correct, they needn't be in their right place).

Still, she's a lady who confessed to not being an Elvis fan and not knowing much about Elvis before she started research for the book. She seems to be into doing celeb bios

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    I watched the LK show and was struck that in about twenty years or so who will be left to be interviewed? I mean next year would have been Elvis' 70th, so how old is Joe Esp??

Secondly isn't Rick Stanley making a movie about his life with Elvis as the youngest bodyguard etc. These guys made a living from Elvis whilst he was alive, and pretty much have kept this thing rolling for 27 years despite them saying the opposite. I'm just glad that I haven't seen Larry Geller being interviewed this year

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    I'm stumped

What do you mean?
    The first to smilies were for the comment that Bobby gave and the last line I meant, sorry because you didn't want one liner reactions.

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by P.S. Annie
    The first to smilies were for the comment that Bobby gave and the last line I meant, sorry because you didn't want one liner reactions.
    LOL, okay, got it now! I told ya I wasn't exactly the sharpest crayon in the box!

Matt: you're right Joe apparently was born in 1938!!!!! Gosh, he looked old for his age huh? He was only 22 in those pix where he first appeared with Elvis after their army stint!!!!

The Stanleys, forgive me, but they've always struck me as maybe only one step up from trailer trash
    They are experts in changing their stories and opinions. BLEGH. They should go into selling second hand cars

Roustabouts
    I saw the LK show as well. I think all the people that were around Elvis were a bunch of hanger's on and leeches. They sucked money out of Elvis every chance they got and still do today, and they call themselves close freinds? Ya right. I think they have a right to tell their so called "stories" but how much of those stories are pure fabrication? JD Sumner, Al Devorin now I think those two guys were the real freinds of Elvis and cared more for him then the money they saw. Ok enough on this topic because it makes my blood boil when these so called freinds call themselves close freinds of Elvis! Its a joke.

Cadillac King
    O.K. here's my opinion, for what it's worth. Up until last week I had only ever seen these people on TV or read about them in various publications. Firstly, at all the things at Elvis Week where I had the opportunity to get some autographs, these people were very gracious and only too happy to give me their autograph. At the 'Conversations', we had Jerry Schilling, Joe Esposito, Celeste Yarnell and Billy Strange. Celeste Yarnell was probably thoe one out of place there, she had about 15 minutes of 'movie time' with Elvis, but she spoke as though she had been in all his movies. Joe and Jerry were very forthcoming in their answers, and when we all lined up for autographs, and I'm talking a few hundred people here, they happily signed away. We were told very clearly at the beginning of the autographs, that we were only to have one autograph each and no personal messages. I had a book with me that Joe E. had written and he gladly signed it 'To Carolyn.......', as well as signing my autograph book. They both posed for photo's, so I had no problem with them at all.
    As far as memories for these people go, it's the ones who have stuck to their same story year after year, that I tend to believe. I think Lisa has inherited a lot of her memories from stories her mother and other members of the MM have told her, that's O.K. How many of us have been told things about our childhood from relatives, that we swear we remember...I know I do.
    I would also just like to add that before my trip, I was quite prepared to see lots of gaudy shops across the road from Graceland, but EPE have done a very good job with the 'selling' aspect of Elvis Presley. As I found out, some people will buy whatever they can get, and EPE cater to these people. At least we know where the money is going when we spend with EPE.
    The only thing that upset me, and only just slightly, was the house on Audubon Drive. Apparently after Annie and I had been there, it was cleaned up for the pool party. I know a lot of people have a high regard for the owners of the house, but, I was astounded at how bad it really was. It's the worst on the street.
    Larry Geller was interesting to listen to. I haven't read any of his books, and have only really seen him interviewed on a couple of DVD's. I think he truely loved Elvis. The one thing that did occur to me at various times, was the fact that the various factions of the MMM were kept separate at all times. They didn't ever seem to be in the same place at the same time. I thought that was pretty clever of the organisers. Sonny West was fabulous, and I am looking forward to his new book.
    Carolyn
    "Walk A Block In My Socks"

In my opinion, not all elvis' selling are bad. We have to admit that if priscilla didnt open graceland for public then there will be no elvis week, there will be no thousands of his fan pilgrim to graceland, everything elvis had in there might ended up on ebay, i believe that elvis is more popular after his death
    ( it doesnt mean i am happy that he is dead ) elvis is popular today because of his devoted fans , we keep his music and memory alive. Graceland ,EPE..whatever they name it , they won't be worth more than 100 something million dollars without us visiting them, buy they're records,memorabilias etc, so by all means they'll be dead without us ( elvis fans ).

Joe E, the stanley' brothers are some hangers on , especially Joe E. he made elvis in big debt with his racquet balls idea in late 70s , he wrote some books about elvis, i dislike the fact that he is almost on every elvis talk shows plus he even charge you to get his autograph and it happens online,check out at:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/B...autograph.html

Great post, Carolyn. Thanks for sharing all that with us.

Hi Carolyn,

I agree, they should do more with the house on Audubon drive, it smells and it could use some paint and so on. But I really liked the visit, because of the pictures they hang up the wall so you could see were he was standing and so on and because we saw it together............

I know, I posted the picture already in another thread, but I still think it's great we met in Memphis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elvis week 2004 287a.jpg  

So was the pool "swimmable"?

This is what the pool looked like when we visited it Bobby
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elvis week 2004 305a.jpg  

Weren't they charging people $30 to get in that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    Alright, another controversial subject from yours truly. I hope to get some good discussion going that goes further than just one line opinions.

Okay, here goes.

Last week or so on Larry King Live, a few days late for the 27th anniversary of Elvis' passing, there was a panel of guests on that, at least, made me scratch my head. The obligatory "Elvis' best friend" Joe Esposito, Pamela Clarke Keough (hmmm, related to Lisa's ex perhaps? Surely Keough is not a very common name?) author of a new book on Elvis, two of the Stanley brothers, David and Ricky, and Barbara Eden, who did ONE movie with Elvis in 1960....... Of course during the "interviews" the new DVD's of Elvis and books and what have you were heavily promoted.

Questions: what do you all think of the ongoing Elvis circus of all the various players, including still Priscilla Beaulieu, telling about and in fact still selling Elvis. Besides the fact that we as fans do get products for our collections, but that's another story.

What do you all think of each individual member or former member of Elvis' extended family (former wife, ex-girlfriends, former MM's etc.) and what they in general have to say as compared to the roles they played while Elvis was actually still alive......

Again: curious Cherokee
    Old thread; but always relevant .
    Comment by EPE for LMP.

http://www.pcpages.com/elvistimes//news.htm

WARNING

Rick Stanley's Tales

A warning from EPE: "Rick Stanley, son of Elvis' father's second wife Dee, has been featured in recent tabloid articles in which he claims to have a close relationship with Elvis' daughter, Lisa Marie Presley. Lisa has had no contact with Rick Stanley for many years since he betrayed her and her family by selling false stories to the tabloids about her. Rick Stanley is in no position to have any direct knowledge of anything regarding Lisa or her personal life and most certainly should not be quoted as an authority. Should Lisa ever have any announcement to make about her personal or professional life, it will be posted on Lisa's own web site."
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast