Page 1 of 13 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Per Sillerman-"Graceland will no longer be a house tour"

Per Sillerman-"Graceland will no longer be a house tour"

I was doing some web surfing late last night and stumbled over this old article from a Memphis news station WMC-TV. It was dated from February 2006 when Bob SIllerman dropped the bomb shell on the Elvis world about his plans to redevelop the grounds around Graceland into a Disney type of resort and attraction. Here is what he said.

"Graceland will no longer be a house tour," he said Thursday. "It will be a thematic attraction, and it will take its place in this country with the great attractions like Disneyland, Universal, ect."

That sounds to me that the plans call for the tour of the home to be just one of the many things to do. Whereas today it's the main attraction. He also added this.

"We want to give people more things to do when they visit it," he said. "It's not going to become an amusement park. It will always pay homage to Elvis, and his impact as a cultural icon in America."

Now reading that first quote and then putting it all into perspective you can clearly see his vision is to turn the tourism of Graceland from a legendary icon into a world class resort on par with Disney and Epcot and as he mentioned Universal Studios. Last night I posted this below at the Urbanplanet website under a current thread about theredevelopment plans for Graceland. Here's what I wrote.

As a fan of Elvis, I am stoked over the thought of new attractions replacing the current outdated cheap looking setup that they have now. I heard about a really cool attraction in Orlando called City Walk as part of the Universal Studios theme park. It's a retail and entertainment complex of themed style restaurants and shops. Bob Sillerman is planning to go all out and redevelop the entire area around Graceland into a tourist attraction on par with Disney. He's reportedly bought up homes behind and around the mansion. He wants a tourist attraction that will triple the average tourism at Graceland and have visitors to stay for more than a day or two and turn it into a resort like Disney. He is planning for an entertainment complex, retail and shopping, dining, and even an outdoor amphitheater. All part of a $250 million or more project. Obviously whatever he's planning will be a massive redevelopment for that price. So I am wondering if he is planning to build something in the lines of a City Walk-Memphis style in the area across from Graceland that will be about 60+ acres of open space available. Jack Soden has been quoted as calling the plans "a Beale Street where you can take the kids". And that is just exactly what City Walk is. Live entertainment and retail and clubs.

Here's a link to City Walk. Something like this would be superb as part of the plans and would really blend Elvis and Memphis' musical heritage together in style!

This is a large map of City Walk in Orlando. It was also built and designed by the man behind the future plans at Graceland. I can see this beautiful complex attraction where the current Heartbreak Hotel sits taking up space. And I can see a 500 room conventional hotel connected to it by a large canal.

Now I don't know if this is what Bob Sillerman is planning to build as the entertainment complex but it certainly fits the bill to say the least and it isn't tacky or out of place. Think of this with an Elvis and musical theme. Restaurants and clubs named after his songs and movies. The King Creole would be a great name for Cajun served dishes in one restaurant while the Margarita for a Mexican restaurant. Just to give you all an example.

Here's the links to the article I took the quote from.
    http://www.wmcstations.com/Global/story.asp?s=4544089

Here's another article that talks about the entertainment complex plans for Graceland.
    http://www.wmcstations.com/Global/story.asp?s=4593199

And for those interested in wanting to know more about City Walk nightspot shopping and dining here's the website.
    http://www.universalorlando.com/cw_index.html
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

MissyM
    what would Elvis think????

Yes, I've seen this before.
    Just have to wait and see, I guess.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Quote Originally Posted by MissyM View Post
    what would Elvis think????
    He'd probably spew ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Thanks for the article. I'll give it a careful reading.
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

He CAN'T do anything to the house, Lisa owns it...he is just in charge of the tours.

ROFLMBO good one Getlo! Here we go again.

Loving elvis
    Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
    He CAN'T do anything to the house, Lisa owns it...he is just in charge of the tours.

ROFLMBO good one Getlo! Here we go again.
    True. He can't add to the house. However he does have the authority (providing Lisa agrees) to remove or change things that were not original to the home and grounds when EP lived there. Such as the trophy room which was the racquetball court. And he can add new things as long as it does not interfere with the house itself. For instance if he wanted to build a new barn or upgrade the existing one, he can do that. Or if he wanted to run a new walkway to the grave site or build a head cover over the grave area to shelter from rain, he could do that too. Anything is possible to add or build on the original grounds as long as it does not degrade or take away from the integrity of the home. He can also build amusement and theme parks using EP's name and likeness as long as it's in good taste and not degrading. All of this is in the official contract. I am banned from FECC and can't read it anymore (for reasons unexplainable and unfare) and I saw it posted over there back in May or June of this year. So if you or anyone feels like searching their database for it then do so and you will find it. It was part of the current deal made with Simon Fuller.
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    He can also build amusement and theme parks using EP's name and likeness as long as it's in good taste and not degrading
    Seriously, I'm not trying to start another argument here EP75, but I fail to see how any sort of amusement featuring Elvis would not be in good taste and degrading ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Here's how I see this all playing out from what all has been reported and what all Bob Sillerman has said him self. This will all be developed into phases. Possibly 2 or 3. Phase 1 will obviously be the new Visitor's center and museum as this would be the most logical and most needed new attraction before anything else can be built. Another thing is that the current plaza will be demolished once the new Center is opened.

Phase 2 will more than likely be the convention hotel. This I assume will be built in the location of the plaza and the apartment complex directly behind it (which EPE and FXS now own) The hotel is reported to be 500 rooms (instead of original plans for 2 400 room hotels) with expanded convention space. I have looked at a lot of different convention hotels around the world and most of them are not built in residential areas but mostly in downtown areas. This will be a rarity to say the least. It will definitely stand out and will be TALL. I assume at 500 rooms, it will be no less than 12 stories. But most likely taller around 14 stories. We have an Embassy Suits hotel with 300 rooms and it stands 10 stories and is a conventional hotel and built connected to our civic center arena where EP performed.

Phase 3 will probably be the planned Entertainment complex as mentioned in this thread. That is if it's not built with the hotel. As you know, I am assuming that his plans are to build a world class entertainment complex resort that will be opened to the visitors and the general [public to keep business at a steady flow. I think it will be both EP related and non EP related for retail shopping, dining, and entertainment. I am thinking that there will be a digital state of the art movie theater that shows modern day films in Hi Def form on digital screens replacing the old projector screen standard. These theaters are the way of the future. In fact Huntsville is opening our own state of the art digital theater here soon called the Monaco Pictures Theater. It will be part of a new $210 million world class retail and entertainment complex called Bridge Street Town Centre. The theater will serve pizza and cocktails and shrimp instead of your usual popcorn and coke. It will be the very first ever built in the world! I can see Bob Sillerman going into this direction with the expansion plans.

I have studied the new 100+ acres that EPE and FXS now own and the area across from Graceland is roughly 60+ acres alone. To give you an example of just how big that is, the City Walk in Orlando only takes up 30 acres of land. There will definitely be a good 30-40 acres of land to build a world class entertainment complex and amphitheater in that location. Also, don't be surprised to see future live broadcasts of American Idol at the new expansion. EPE is now tied in with the world famous reality show.

I think the overall time span of the entire project will take around 3-4 years and completed by the next major anniversary in 2012. I expect the groundbreaking to take place soon. Possibly within the next few months. I understand that Memphis City Council chief is pushing for a late December city reading to complete the approvals. I don't look for any setbacks as it would be like the city of Memphis committing suicide if they failed to make this dream come true as it would benefit and affect their own daily lives than it would the EP fan world.

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Seriously, I'm not trying to start another argument here EP75, but I fail to see how any sort of amusement featuring Elvis would not be in good taste and degrading ...
    There's nothing degrading about amusement parks. I am personally pushing our mayor Loretta Spencer to consider looking into getting a classic amusement park built here in Huntsville to boost tourism. They are for enjoyment and to entertain and they make loads of $$$$$$ and create better jobs. I think EP would be thrilled to have an amusement park or even a single ride named after him or in his honor. That is assuming one becomes a reality one day.

Mad Tigers
    Is not good but if there are graves near.He is Mr Moneymaker like the Colonel.Let s wait

I guess the people who live in Memphis must be seriously tired of all of this...This is a great way to keep the memory of Elvis alive and it shows his impact on culture, but honestly I think this is too much...I mean, a theme park...

the report EP75 quotes is more than 1.5 years old and had been discussed in forums and groups ad nauseam back then. sillerman in the meantime has obviously modified his plans reg. GL since there have not been major changes so far.

whatever disney-themepark-like tacky stuff he erects somewhere else, be it in las vegas, siberia or on the moon ... - IF he ever will (!) - who cares anyway? there are also cohorts of ETAs running around on this planet we can't do anything against ... tackyness rules, obviously.

sounds to me like another thread with much ado about nothing (or at least: very little ).

ellie
    Last edited by EDOEP; 10-27-2007 at 05:23 AM. Reason: addendum
    i don't suffer from insanity - i enjoy every minute of it

TCB Mafia
    I couldn't give a **************** what this Sillerman guy does across the street, but if he does anything to Graceland and the property, I'm coming to Memphis and Hell is coming with me.
    Last edited by rocknroll; 10-27-2007 at 08:19 PM.

Loving elvis
    l suppose we will have to wait and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by EDOEP View Post
    the report EP75 quotes is more than 1.5 years old and had been discussed in forums and groups ad nauseam back then. sillerman in the meantime has obviously modified his plans reg. GL since there have not been major changes so far.

whatever disney-themepark-like tacky stuff he erects somewhere else, be it in las vegas, siberia or on the moon ... - IF he ever will (!) - who cares anyway? there are also cohorts of ETAs running around on this planet we can't do anything against ... tackyness rules, obviously.

sounds to me like another thread with much ado about nothing (or at least: very little ).

ellie
    Bob Sillerman has not modified his plan. The reason nothing has happened yet is due to financial arrangements. Don't worry. Those unseen changes will be happening very soon.

About a theme park or amusement park. I personally feel that he will look to 3 locations for that. Memphis being the first since Graceland will be the mecca of that area. But looking at Google Earth there really isn't enough space to build one near Graceland. Las Vegas would probably be the best location due to it's flamboyant appeal and image. Orlando could be the ideal location too since Disney and Universal are both there. Now The Holyland Experience theme park is tied into the Disney world.

Although there won't be any rides at Graceland or part of the plans(according to Priscilla and Soden) but at the end of the day it will be seen as a theme park. Not all theme parks have to have thrill rides. The Holyland Experience doesn't have a single ride and it is considered as a theme park.

One more thing. The reason the plans for Graceland have been less attractive to the long time fans is because the EP world is so used to "less is best" and they (you guys) don't know how to see it through a full glass. You are all used to a half empty because of the way EPE has marketed the man's image and name. It's kind of like living in a trailer all of your life then all of a sudden your trailer is taken and you are living in your own home with new scenery and it is hard to believe and to accept. But in the long run you wouldn't go back to the way it was before. You start to question why you were upset at first. That is the feeling EP fans will have once they visit Graceland in the near future and see all the new wonderful and fun and exciting things to see and do while there. And they will go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I guess the people who live in Memphis must be seriously tired of all of this...This is a great way to keep the memory of Elvis alive and it shows his impact on culture, but honestly I think this is too much...I mean, a theme park...
    According to the Memphis news media and the residents there, the city is much more excited than the fans are.LOL They understand the long term affect this will have on their city and their community. The blacks in Whitehaven are the most excited as it will guarantee better schools, facilities, malls, and businesses. And most importantly it will created better and much needed jobs.

Believe me, from what I am hearing about this from other forums about Memphis developments, the residents can't wait for these changes to happen. That is why the City Council leader wants a final 3 readings before the end of the year to approve the redevelopment of Whitehaven before a new city council board comes in unaware of it's potential and wants to study it further and could kill it. But that won't happen so no worries there. THIS IS A GO!!

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    I couldn't give a **************** what this Sillerman guys does across the street, but if he does anything to Graceland and the property, I'm coming to Memphis and Hell is coming with me.
    If you don't care then why did you waste the time reading this thread to post a reply?

Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    True. He can't add to the house. However he does have the authority (providing Lisa agrees) to remove or change things that were not original to the home and grounds when EP lived there. Such as the trophy room which was the racquetball court. And he can add new things as long as it does not interfere with the house itself. For instance if he wanted to build a new barn or upgrade the existing one, he can do that. Or if he wanted to run a new walkway to the grave site or build a head cover over the grave area to shelter from rain, he could do that too. Anything is possible to add or build on the original grounds as long as it does not degrade or take away from the integrity of the home.

Since Graceland is a part of the National Registry, he cannot alter anything about the original structure. As it is, you drive around Graceland & it's pretty much a circus of gift shops and the like. Or it was the last time I visited in the summer of 2000. And although Lisa chooses not to make her home her permanent resident (you know, the place where you pick up your bills & store your unmentionables), it still is her HOME, if she wanted to string a laundry line to dry her clothes in the backyard, she can. After all, her grandmother raised chickens back there.

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

Page 1 of 13 1234567811 ... LastLast