39 43.82%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rainfall Suit 1974

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

Rainfall Suit 1974 (Tan Suits)

Rainfall Suit 1974 (Tan Suits)

Known Dates Worn:-

August 1974
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tan 11.jpg   Tan 15.jpg   Tan 16.jpg  

Tan 19.jpg  
    Last edited by Jumpsuit Junkie; 03-29-2010 at 04:09 AM.

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States
    Matt,
    Was this suit actually made of leather, or was it a material that resembled leather?
    "Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boss Man
    Matt,
    Was this suit actually made of leather, or was it a material that resembled leather?
    i believe it made of genuine leather, you can tell from the texture of the pic here..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mermaidsuit.jpg  
    Last edited by buttonhead; 10-21-2004 at 07:16 PM.

Cadillac King
    These were some really interesting suits. I understand that there were many different designs with these suits. Yes, I read that they were made of genuine leather.

IM

Backstage Pass

doesent this look

just like two piece emperor suit?

Backstage Pass

Rainfall Suit

Rainfall Suit

Las Vegas
    1974 08 29 MS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LV-740829MS-2.jpg   LV-740829MS.jpg  

Las Vegas,NV. August 29th 1974 midnight show. This is the cream two-piece featuring 'rainfall' effect on front shoulders, no design on cuffs or legs.

A third one was used at the midnight show of August 30th 1974. it was a brown two-piece with two wineglass design at either side of chest openings. I have never seen any pictures of Elvis wearing it on stage. This description comes from a fan who attended that particular show and this concert was released on the CD " Night Fever In Vegas ". The cover mentioned that it was a 3:00 am show but it wasn't the case at all, that night Elvis performed his regular dinner and midnight show as usual.

suit

I think Elvis look great with this Suit,he looks like he was in 1970 with his hairstyle and wit his weight,because he don't look fat at all.Great pictures and great suit

Quote Originally Posted by lopette View Post

Las Vegas,NV. August 29th 1974 midnight show. This is the cream two-piece featuring 'rainfall' effect on front shoulders, no design on cuffs or legs.

A third one was used at the midnight show of August 30th 1974. it was a brown two-piece with two wineglass design at either side of chest openings. I have never seen any pictures of Elvis wearing it on stage. This description comes from a fan who attended that particular show and this concert was released on the CD " Night Fever In Vegas ". The cover mentioned that it was a 3:00 am show but it wasn't the case at all, that night Elvis performed his regular dinner and midnight show as usual.

wow, great pics!
    If I Can DreamIf I Can DreamIf I can Dream

re the rainfall suit

[QUOTE=Jumpsuit Junkie;17412]Rainfall Suit 1974 (Tan Suits)

Known Dates Worn:-

August 1974[/QUOT i'm confused, this was called THE MERMAID suit in my day, and it;s stillcalled that to this day, so where did the rainfall title come from-i also understand that a red and black version of this suit[although i have never seen pics] this suit was made of buckskin, i believe he had 3 colour schemes of this desighn, and later gave one to JACKIE WILSON, in late summer of 74. Please explain name of suit, if at all possible.

There seems to be a two-piece leather suit with a mermaid design on it although I have never seen pictures of it. There are four or five different designs:

Beige Leather Two-piece (with hand-painted animal figures)
    Beige Leather Two-piece (with hand painted mermaid)
    Beige Leather Two-piece (with sparkling sequences)
    Beige Leather Two-piece (with hand painted native flowers)
    Two-toned Leather Two-piece (with wine glass pattern)

They were all designed and manufactured by Nort Beach Leather in L.A. These suits are the only ones that were not specially designed for Elvis but just bought at the store because of their popularity at that time. A lot of stars were wearing them including Jackie Wilson who owned a whole collection.

The only "problem" with the Rainfall suit is that due to the harsh on-stage lights it doesn't show up so well. One of the considerations in the design of the later suits was just to get good visual effect for the backrows.

re

could it be possible that this suit was displayed on the footsteps of elvis?
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

the mermaid suit

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    There seems to be a two-piece leather suit with a mermaid design on it although I have never seen pictures of it. There are four or five different designs:

Beige Leather Two-piece (with hand-painted animal figures)
    Beige Leather Two-piece (with hand painted mermaid)
    Beige Leather Two-piece (with sparkling sequences)
    Beige Leather Two-piece (with hand painted native flowers)
    Two-toned Leather Two-piece (with wine glass pattern)

They were all designed and manufactured by Nort Beach Leather in L.A. These suits are the only ones that were not specially designed for Elvis but just bought at the store because of their popularity at that time. A lot of stars were wearing them including Jackie Wilson who owned a whole collection.
    my mistake , the one that has blue birds etc.. i assumed was the mermaid, did he not also have a red/cream colour scheme of this suit. The multicoloured leather jacket also came from this store, did it not? LICHTER , had stated that he owned the mermaid and aanother of these leather suits[geraldo rivera interview 1979], and that E.P. gave one to JACKIE ? so i guess the real mystery is solved , thanx leroy.

I actually love this suit on him! It is one of my favorites.

I Agree With You Lainey , They Are Stunning Outfits !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lopette View Post

A third one was used at the midnight show of August 30th 1974. it was a brown two-piece with two wineglass design at either side of chest openings. I have never seen any pictures of Elvis wearing it on stage.
    I found this one in the gallery here:

I've also seen a picture of Elvis in this suit, with guitar, from an August show (I think -- this was years ago, mind you -- it was from the August 22 midnight show) but I scoured the entire 1974 gallery here to see if I could find it, to no avail. The picture was dark and not the greatest quality but still cool to see.

EDIT: oops. The above picture doesn't, after all, look like the wineglass Hoban suit. It's late (actually, well past sunrise now and only an hour and twelve minutes left 'til noon!) and I'm too tired to be doing such vital brain-surgery-like work that doesn't mix well with insomnia. Anyway, whatever suit this is it does NOT appear to be the one with wild flowers painted on or the one with the rainfall rhinestones. I'm pretty sure I used to have a date attributed to this picture, somewhere in the materials I now have in storage. Oh...and, yes, that other picture I talked about (possibly from 8/22) most definitely showed the wineglass design.
    Last edited by 1100ccRider; 09-11-2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: JUMPED THE GUN: THIS ISN'T THE WINEGLASS SUIT
    I'm a roving roustabout...

Pics of the mermaid suit

I found these on the internet. Finally the name "Mermaid suit" does make sense...
    Interesting link: http://entertainment.ha.com/common/v...PR-elvis100108

Ferry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mermaid.jpg   mermaid-1.jpg   mermaid-2.jpg  

Last edited by Ferry01; 10-13-2008 at 01:20 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast