Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why didn't elvis date people his own age

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    I think he and Barbara Stanwyck did NOT get along. One of the few leading women that didn't seem to mesh with him
    They didn't get along at first, she didn't really trust him, but he managed to charm her in the end, and I think making that large contribution to the Screen Actors Guild(?) helped her opinion a great deal as she was one of the directors of the Guild at that time.

A little of both I think.
    Another answer would be....Cos he could get them! - T J
    Yeah, that too!
    Last edited by Lisarose; 10-26-2007 at 09:27 PM. Reason: add comment

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post
    I think making that large contribution to the Screen Actors Guild(?) helped her opinion a great deal as she was one of the directors of the Guild at that time.
    Elvis made a $50,000 donation to the Motion Picture Relief Fund on July 28, 1965, and presented his check to Stanwyck and comedian Bud Abbott.

This was 15 months after they had worked together on Roustabout, and they were well and truly friends by then. In fact, they were good friends by the time the filming of the movie was done.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Thanks for the correction, Getlo, wasn't it also the single largest donation at the time? There are photos of the two of them in the gallery that has them sitting together quite friendly - even holding hands.

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

Thanks for the correction, Getlo, wasn't it also the single largest donation at the time?
    Yes. Stanwyck was the honorary head of the Fund at the time. Frank Sinatra was also there at the ceremony.

Stanwyck was very prescient in her assessment of Elvis: "I feel sorry for the poor bastard" is one comment attributed to her around the time they worked together.

I imagine that Elvis and the MM were on their best behaviour around her. She was one lady you wouldn't want to screw with!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

she didn't really trust him, but he managed to charm her in the end,
    Geez, Elvis was a dawg !!!

Seriously, I didn't think Elvis was ever into older women ...

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyJack View Post
    Possibly it was partly down to the time and place he was born and raised in...it was no great scandal back then to marry a girl as young as sixteen.However I think Elvis liked the idea of being around younger women..and it made him feel good about himself....I`m not saying that he was just another vain,self-obsessed male..I just think he saw it in his own southern way as a good thing.I`ll leave the theories about him not wanting to replace his mother to the more qualified of you out there!!
    IA, also there were just alot of younger woman around him, if i was a guy i would jump on it too.

Let me know if you ever figure this out. Why Elvis dated younger women.
    My son does the same; in spite of dad's considerable knowledge to the contrary.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

I see it as an ego thing with Elvis, he liked having a beautiful young woman on his arm, no matter how old he got. Perhaps a woman closer to his age would of creatively and emotionally brought more out of him; I just don't sense that was intent in relationships though, just looking through his known relationships. I get the feeling it was an image enhancer, to always have a stunning woman on his arm. He was Elvis Presley, he could have any woman he wanted. And that's seemingly what he wanted.

TCB Mafia
    I think he didn't like too experienced women.
    He was afraid he would not measure up to his image thn and afraid to be compared finally to other men.
    As a sex symbol he could not have the reputation not being any better then other men (in bed) so to speak...
    It's hard NOT to imagine Elvis as perfect; how else could someone be THAT good looking, THAT talented, THAT generous & THAT charismatic

Quote Originally Posted by ruggishboo View Post
    He was Elvis Presley, he could have any woman he wanted.

Nope.

Two words for ya: Debra Paget.

And another two: Shelley Fabares.

And others.

Sorry guys and gals, but Elvis was not every woman's dream guy!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Nope.

And others.

, you are right Getlo.

Oh well, he was the dream of most of them then....hehe

To quote Elvis talking to, Billy Smith, he said, " I think women over 25 should start collecting social security". I believe that, That was just his own personal fetish.

I read that he never dated either one of those actresses. Debra thought he was just a kid, even though Elvis was obsess with her. Even stalked her a few times and Shelly was involved with some big wig in Hollywood. Looking at Priscilla's younger pics, she looks alot like Debra.

Sheila Ryan is quoted as saying in the video, Elvis the final year, as saying, Elvis had wasn't all that in bed and would pull out before ejaculation. which left her very unsatisfied.
    Last edited by MojoElvis; 10-28-2007 at 12:36 AM. Reason: typo

born as a 'GI baby,' lived in Los Angeles, Ca, today in Paris, France
    I read the first page and stopped then, so I prefer to post my personal opinion, strictly personal, ok ? ;-)

I think parts it's due to his Southern background, where indeed women were married at a young age and a great difference in a couple was no issue either. There are reoccuring talks that he'd loved to 'mold' a young woman into what he wanted -I believe that was just guy talk, he'd had too many guy friends he always thought he has to keep up to come close to his image.
    The other issue is also the time he'd lived in, we always have to remember that female emancipation just started out in the 70s. Before that a man 'had' to be male, no matter what, and having a beautiful and of course young girl at his arm was mandatory. I remember Cybil Shephard once said that she'd learnt him to put his educated macho side apart -and he did !
    To conclude there is also the side that he never really grew up (who would blame him for ? ;-), and felt better among young folks. I understand fully, I'm the same, they say that still at 80 I'll be a kid ;-)))
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic5529_1.gif

Elvis' Rich Southern Voice Flows Like Beewax in the Mississippi Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Nope.

And others.

What????? surely you are jesting! Elvis was the dreamiest!

TCB Mafia
    Shelley Fabares was IMO a very beautiful women.
    The most beautiful of his co stars
    It's hard NOT to imagine Elvis as perfect; how else could someone be THAT good looking, THAT talented, THAT generous & THAT charismatic

What a dumb question! Why would a 40 year old man want a 40 year old woman when he can have a 20 year old?

"Female Sir"

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by riley View Post
    Shelley Fabares was IMO a very beautiful women.
    The most beautiful of his co stars
    agreed riley

They did have a tough row to hoe, but they did it together. Johnny wasn't out there acting like a playboy, just a jackass. Didn't they travel together on all their tours? That's probably what kept their marriage healthy, being together. Elvis had the attitude that men didn't take their wives to the office (work) with them. Maybe not, but they did come home to them at the end of each day. I suppose that's what kept Paul & Linda McCartney together for so long.
    And Elvis would have listened to you, but it wouldn't have made much of a difference.
    Couldnt agree more!!
    "Why is it that we want our idols to die on a cross of their own making, and if they don?t, we want our money back? But you know, Elvis ate America before America ate him." Bono

MissyM
    I don't like Shelia Ryan. Can't put my finger on it exactly, she just gives me the willies.
    I think at first it was just no big deal to date younger ones. Then I think after a while the younger ones simply turned him on more. Hey, given the chance, bet most men are like that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12