Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why didn't elvis date people his own age

Loving elvis

why didn't elvis date people his own age

Someone on one of the threads stated a good questions why didn't elvis date anybody his age or closer to it??

good question Jen. I think he liked the arm candy - he wanted the public to see him with beautiful young women. Which kind of goes against the other thing - him wanting them to talk baby talk to him and tuck him in, and treat him as a child. Kind of strange huh?

SleepyJack
    Possibly it was partly down to the time and place he was born and raised in...it was no great scandal back then to marry a girl as young as sixteen.However I think Elvis liked the idea of being around younger women..and it made him feel good about himself....I`m not saying that he was just another vain,self-obsessed male..I just think he saw it in his own southern way as a good thing.I`ll leave the theories about him not wanting to replace his mother to the more qualified of you out there!!

But you forget, Elvis did date girls his own age - when he was a teenager! As he got older, only the number changed, his personality didn't. Remember at 30 & up, he was still running around acting like a little boy! Shooting off fireworks, riding dirtbikes, rollercoasters, women his age - even those as in love with them as we are would just get tired of it all. I don't think it was all eye/arm candy. There are a lot of attractive, older women, & women his age, he & Ann-Margret were an item. Wasn't he attracted to Barbara Stanwyck? I doubt that more than one roller coaster ride would have kept her coming back for more.

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

Loving elvis
    I think if he dated some near his own age he would have a better understanding of things than with the younger girls like linda, ginger, priscilla.

SleepyJack
    I was actually thinking about this a while back.....I was after watching the Johnny Cash music video for "Hurt"...and although it was heartbreaking it was great to see the love between himself and June Carter-Cash....and they had a pretty rough time of it over the years. I guess there is no changing the past....if I could I would go back and tell Elvis to forget the bunnies and get a real woman....would he listen to me???

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyJack View Post
    I was actually thinking about this a while back.....I was after watching the Johnny Cash music video for "Hurt"...and although it was heartbreaking it was great to see the love between himself and June Carter-Cash....and they had a pretty rough time of it over the years. I guess there is no changing the past....if I could I would go back and tell Elvis to forget the bunnies and get a real woman....would he listen to me???
    I don't know if he would listernI wish elvis found that june in someone that stood by him through the ups and downs of everything that was in his life. When you love someone you love the faults and all that came with that person.

SleepyJack
    I agree with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post
    But you forget, Elvis did date girls his own age - when he was a teenager! As he got older, only the number changed, his personality didn't. Remember at 30 & up, he was still running around acting like a little boy! Shooting off fireworks, riding dirtbikes, rollercoasters, women his age - even those as in love with them as we are would just get tired of it all. I don't think it was all eye/arm candy. There are a lot of attractive, older women, & women his age, he & Ann-Margret were an item. Wasn't he attracted to Barbara Stanwyck? I doubt that more than one roller coaster ride would have kept her coming back for more.
    good point Lisarose

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyJack View Post
    They did have a tough row to hoe, but they did it together. Johnny wasn't out there acting like a playboy, just a jackass. Didn't they travel together on all their tours? That's probably what kept their marriage healthy, being together. Elvis had the attitude that men didn't take their wives to the office (work) with them. Maybe not, but they did come home to them at the end of each day. I suppose that's what kept Paul & Linda McCartney together for so long.
    And Elvis would have listened to you, but it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

I think he liked them younger because they weren't experienced and he could mold them. I've also heard that he was quite a child himself in his behaviour, etc...so maybe the age thing in numbers was big but not in emotion or mindset?
    He also had a fear of getting old, etc..so maybe a younger woman in his 40's made him feel like he had part of his youth back?
    And again, some men just like younger women, just like some women love dating younger men.
    And yes, lol, there is always the eye/arm candy aspect.

Perhaps, IMO, in a way, he saw them as a sister like figure as he was an only child.
    Maybe it helped him re-discover his youth in the latter years.

Gee I'm 52 and I still do that stuff
    IMO Maybe he liked the idea of being more in control. Older women have strong opinions and ideas-younger ones are more easily shaped.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Gee I'm 52 and I still do that stuff
    IMO Maybe he liked the idea of being more in control. Older women have strong opinions and ideas-younger ones are more easily shaped.
    Spoken like a true man!!! I do recall him saying (or reading about him saying) he likes them young so he can mold them into what he likes....that does make sense....(well makes sense to him I guess)....

Shooting off fireworks, riding dirtbikes, rollercoasters,
    I want to be honest and point out I never do all three at the same time, and do not do them all everyday-just every now and then

Just keep on doing them KPM...good for the soul and keeps you young!

Diane

I think he and Barbara Stanwyck did NOT get along. One of the few leading women that didn't seem to mesh with him

Maybe he was attracted to younger woman because they are prettier? I think that business of saying he wanted someone young enough to mold was just guy talk in front of the MM.

Diane

Well said!
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Maybe he was attracted to younger woman because they are prettier? I think that business of saying he wanted someone young enough to mold was just guy talk in front of the MM.

Diane
    A little of both I think.

Another answer would be....

Cos he could get them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast