Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Feel About Where Elvis Died?

Quote Originally Posted by riley View Post

It still bothers me how he died.
    Too many unanswered questions and contadictions...
    Too many secrets and mysteries surrounding his death.

This bothers me; because there was no investigation.
    But, at home was best, IMO.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Fantastic point JDD! I think all this carpet crawling deal started with Albert Goldman and got embellished even more along the way. Certainly not the best room to die in but in no way does it demean the person it happens to.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    A lot of people die in the bathroom, you're at home you don't feel well its the first place a lot of people go.
    Exactly! And let us not forget the bathroom in Elvis' home was no doubt like the family room in my home - spacious, luxurious, comforting!
    My only thought about dying on stage - sure it's very public & we'd be seeing it Over & Over & Over. . ..But, if he had gotten sick on stage, he'd have been helped immediately, by the hotel personnel or show doctors or doctors, nurses that may have been in the audience. At Graceland, he'd been down for quite a while before someone thought to check on him.

at least he died in the home he loved.
    As undignified as it all was, dying on stage would've been too public ... and you'd still be watching the footage on YouTube today.
    (And we're back ...) - Getlo
    Hi, Getlo, welcome back!

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

I don't think it makes a diference where we drop dead,but in Elvis case I am happy that it was in Graceland and not in some cold hotel room.Graceland was home---a place where he went to rest--to be with family and friends.
    I am glad it was not on stage,because of the media.We would problably had to see him dying right there on stage.No God!
    "Man,I just work here"
    EP 1968 ComaBack

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Fantastic point JDD! I think all this carpet crawling deal started with Albert Goldman and got embellished even more along the way. Certainly not the best room to die in but in no way does it demean the person it happens to.

Diane
    You are probably right Diane! Albert Goldman obviously embellished some other things...

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Would anyone like to die in the bathroom?
    Most people can't help being where they are when the end comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1 View Post
    We need to all be very thankful that it was Graceland.....another 12 to 24 hours and it would have been an entirely different situation.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    This bothers me; because there was no investigation.
    So, there was no investigation into Elvis' death??
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    We need to all be very thankful that it was Graceland.....another 12 to 24 hours and it would have been an entirely different situation.
    Maybe...maybe not...no one knows when they're going to die and Elvis certainly had no clue whatsoever that he was going to leave this world on August 16, 1977,,,but I will say this: I, like everyone else, am thankful that he did pass away at Graceland and not on the road--although I've read several books that state that had that, in fact, happened that there was a plan that had been put into place if Elvis had died on the road so he could be brought back to Memphis.

The Goldman book (if you can call it that) just absolutely makes me sick to read...

I read it once and put it away....
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 10-25-2007 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1 View Post
    Totally agree-but if I had a choice its not the top of the list

well i think the fact that he was at home was a good thing but at the same time alot of jokes were made and many nasty people have made a fool of elvis for diying on the toilet but i try not ot think about how cos i wouldn't want ot think of elvis haveing a painfull slow death crawling along the carpet vomiting and all that

Quote Originally Posted by goodelvisgirl View Post
    well i think the fact that he was at home was a good thing but at the same time alot of jokes were made and many nasty people have made a fool of elvis for diying on the toilet but i try not ot think about how cos i wouldn't want ot think of elvis haveing a painfull slow death crawling along the carpet vomiting and all that
    Theres no way to know how slow he died, but even a few minutes of acute heart pain is too much- trust me.

Once again not having read the responses, here I go w/my 2 cents...

I don't think it was the optimum place to die, but @ least he died at home, a home he loved very much.
    I have heard that it was not a quick death, but a slow painful one. For that I am very sad...he suffered so much as it was to think his last moments were filled w/pain breaks my heart.
    I do not like that his dying in the bathroom is the brunt of many a joke.
    I am saddened that he had to die so young at all, irregardless where it took place. Thank God it wasn't done in public.

Cadillac King
    Death doesn't ask where, when, how you want to die. When your number's up the grim reaper just comes calling.

Elvis died in his bathroom. Same thing happened to an uncle of mine. Death makes no distinctions.

I don't think about Elvis' death. I try to celebrate his life, everyday.
    Last edited by JerryNodak; 08-20-2008 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Maybe...maybe not...no one knows when they're going to die and Elvis certainly had no clue whatsoever that he was going to leave this world on August 16, 1977,,,but I will say this: I, like everyone else, am thankful that he did pass away at Graceland and not on the road--although I've read several books that state that had that, in fact, happened that there was a plan that had been put into place if Elvis had died on the road so he could be brought back to Memphis.

The Goldman book (if you can call it that) just absolutely makes me sick to read...

I read it once and put it away....
    I understand about the Goldman book. I don't know why in the world I haven't used it to start a good fire. What was Goldman's deal? Why did he work so hard to portray Elvis in such a negative light?

I understand about the Goldman book. I don't know why in the world I haven't used it to start a good fire. What was Goldman's deal? Why did he work so hard to portray Elvis in such a negative light?

Because somewhere between 1969-1977 (and I'm only guessing here) Goldman somehow developed some sort of hatred for Elvis....and showed it with that "fire-starter" of a book...even though he apparently wrote a very glowing review of one of Elvis's shows in Las Vegas, NV in 1970) some of the stuff he wrote about (and this applies to anyone who has written/will write a book 'bout Elvis) should have been/should be kept private.

What was the title of Goldmans book? I wish Joe didnt feel the need to tell where Elvis died, but Im sure he had no choice. There were to many people there to keep it secret.
    I wouldnt come back out there for love nor money.

Quote Originally Posted by torpor97 View Post
    What was the title of Goldmans book? I wish Joe didnt feel the need to tell where Elvis died, but Im sure he had no choice. There were to many people there to keep it secret.
    The book is simply titled "Elvis" by Albert Goldman. It's a lengthy book...very vile.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Because somewhere between 1969-1977 (and I'm only guessing here) Goldman somehow developed some sort of hatred for Elvis....and showed it with that "fire-starter" of a book...even though he apparently wrote a very glowing review of one of Elvis's shows in Las Vegas, NV in 1970) some of the stuff he wrote about (and this applies to anyone who has written/will write a book 'bout Elvis) should have been/should be kept private.
    Thanks for the info Tony...that's pretty much what I was thinking. I remember reading it and at some point thinking "OMG..this guy really has it in for Elvis". It truly is a fire-starter.

What was Goldman's deal? Why did he work so hard to portray Elvis in such a negative light?
    Take away the obvious disdain Goldman had for Elvis (and for Southerners in general) and the often vicious tone of his langiage, there is more truth in Elvis than many fans care to admit.

It is very well written (hatred notwithstanding) and there is more truth in it than many other so-called "authoritative" biographies out there. I'd rather read it than, for example, Charlie Hodge's whitewash Me'n'Elvis. Or Wanda June Hill's fantasies.

Many fans condemned Goldman's book (and still do) without actually having read the bloody thing!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast