Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do you think Elvis is more appreciated in UK than in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticSun View Post
    I'm not convinced and I don't think I ever will be. Not to offend people, but you are not the masters of the world culturally. You just have different people living under the rule of a government. It's still Indian land, if you ask me.

It's not that easy to define being a Rhode Island-inhabitant or a Tennessee-inhabitant. What are those? In Europe every region has it's dialect, flag and certain customs. It's difficult to discard the identity of your region, how can you ever make people from different continents mix? Globalization is pure evil. People just form ghetto's or settlements.

I don't like this McDonald's and junk being thrown at me. That's a reason to dislike it and on top of that the military is always messing around in other countries, manipulating others. In some places of the world they still see it as the Great Satan, not for nothing. A paper tiger.

But I do like Elvis and yes, I think his legacy is timeless. My loyalty to Elvis is not at all impaired by the way I look at America.
    I think there is confussion here.I was talking about ELVIS.Nothing to do with America.This is a great country.You all know that Elvis was very patriotic.He loved America.And when you talk bad about this country,you're walking on the bad side of me.The country--America has nothing to do with Elvis popularity declining in the USA.This country is a Gods'country.And has shown many times that Americans are humanitarian and humble.If you don't like it here--is very simple.Leave or don't come.
    "Man,I just work here"
    EP 1968 ComaBack

Thank you Tommy, you're right, we got off track.

Diane

Yeah, Hawaii. Interesting. The older guy said that if they'd still be boss, he would be cooked for supper.. Ah, that must be for a reason. It's not even what I would say or think.

Elvis was patriotic, but naive. Too many have taken advantage of that. You certainly have no more right to be God's country than any other. That system just kills people and few, like Johnny Cash, are able to go on longer. Elvis was easier to control. I just feel that they have tried to kill him and it saddens me.

It's what I think of your nation and not about individual people without exception. I might enjoy performing there, as long as it's the kind of material I like. You'd miss a whole lot without.

If there is such a thing as American culture, why are they unable to keep honoring his legacy? That's a reasonable question.
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 10-25-2007 at 04:29 PM. Reason: minor error
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    I live in the UK and I have to say that it isn't very hard to find Elvis memento's etc. If I go to a HMV music store I can buy dozens of Elvis DVD's CD's and even calenders, about a half mile away I can buy Elvis pottery. If I go to TESCO online I can buy literally 100's of CD's.........So I guess I'm quite lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticSun View Post
    Yeah, Hawaii. Interesting. The older guy said that if they'd still be boss, he would be cooked for supper.. Ah, that must be for a reason. It's not even what I would say or think.

Elvis was patriotic, but naive. Too many have taken advantage of that. You certainly have no more right to be God's country than any other. That system just kills people and few, like Johnny Cash, are able to go on longer. Elvis was easier to control. I just feel that they have tried to kill him and it saddens me.
    It's what I think of your nation and not about individual people without exception. I might enjoy performing there, as long as it's the kind of material I like. You'd miss a whole lot without.

If there is such a thing as American culture, why are they unable to keep honoring his legacy? That's a reasonable question.
    Elvis was patriotic-he voiced his love of his country many times. That is something most of us would probably agree on. I heard him sing "America the Beautiful" live in 1976- it was heart felt and one of the best songs of the concert. He received a Standing Ovation for it.
    I will refrain from talking about the countries of others as Tommy asked-it only creates friction where none is needed.
    Elvis' legacy is honored-over 600,000 visitors a year go to Graceland. His home is the 2nd most visited home in the USA after the White House. His 30 number 1s sold 3-4 million albums in the US and the last I heard about 8-9 million worldwide.
    I do feel overseas he is given more respect as I pointed out in an earlier post.
    But he is not ignored here in the USA. I just feel sometimes when you are close to someone(as the people in the US were to Elvis) its easy to underestimate and take for granted the special qualities and talents they have because of being so close-"can't see the trees- for the forest" "can't see the forest for the trees"
    But its just my opinion- from my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    I live in the UK and I have to say that it isn't very hard to find Elvis memento's etc. If I go to a HMV music store I can buy dozens of Elvis DVD's CD's and even calenders, about a half mile away I can buy Elvis pottery. If I go to TESCO online I can buy literally 100's of CD's.........So I guess I'm quite lucky!
    In the USA you can go to any large chain store and find some Elvis items-CDS DVDS calenders, posters, etc. But for more than that we have specialty stores like "Vintage Vinyl" or "Slackers" which carry more extensive mementos. One store in many malls is called "Spencers" they carry quite a bit of Elvis items.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Germany is one country. Italy is one country. Spain is one country. etc... They are proud of their heritage and cultures as they should be.
    Most Americans arer proud of ours as well. You see problems in our diversity and -we see strength in it. You see only the negatives it seems-I'm sorry you see us that way. Basic Americans like me are friendly and want nothing more than friendship with whoever wants it.
    I am part Irish, Scottish, and Cherokee indian and proud of it- but I am an American. All countries including European have their strong points and weak points-things to be proud of in your culture and history and things which are better forgotten. We are the same.
    My state of Illinois has its own flag, midwesterners have our own dialect and speech patterns and our regions is called the bread belt-we produce huge amounts of wheat and corn. We ship it all over the world and many millions of tons of grain are given by our country to others in times of need and disaster. But we are not perfect and I see many of the same flaws that you do. By the same token-Take a look at European history and it also has its share of hypocrisy, greed, and mistakes.
    But I would not underestimate what American can do when it sets its mind to it. But this is not on topic at all. I hope you will understand I am an American who wishes you no ill will and that comes from my heart.
    PS- I would never try to change how you feel-only tell you how I do about the same subject.
    Well said! And I could write a book on what life is like here in Texas, or better yet, how the other 49 states see Texas.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    But he is not ignored here in the USA. I just feel sometimes when you are close to someone(as the people in the US were to Elvis) its easy to underestimate and take for granted the special qualities and talents they have because of being so close-"can't see the trees- for the forest" "can't see the forest for the trees"
    But its just my opinion- from my point of view.
    I'm not sure if this just applies to the USA, there is definitely a struggle within the Elvis legacy that 30 years still hasn't abated! The struggle between 50's, 60's and 70's Elvis; the difference between them all is monumental. I suppose there is an element of embarrassment, because Elvis embodied the American dream right up to 1973 and after that they kind of want to brush the rest of history under the carpet

As far as everyone I know ; they admire Elvis for living "the American Dream"
    But, IMO --you could say that about any artist from any country also.
    When someone struggles to "make their dreams a reality", it doesn't matter from which country they were born. They should be admired and congratulated and their country has a right to be proud of them.
    Even when they make mistakes along the way.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    I'm not sure if this just applies to the USA, there is definitely a struggle within the Elvis legacy that 30 years still hasn't abated! The struggle between 50's, 60's and 70's Elvis; the difference between them all is monumental. I suppose there is an element of embarrassment, because Elvis embodied the American dream right up to 1973 and after that they kind of want to brush the rest of history under the carpet
    I guess I am one of the exceptions-I see all eras-as just Elvis.
    Just as I am the same person as I was in the 50s, 60s, 70s ....I have changed from year to year, in each era I dressed different, I was in a different place financially spritually, even emotionally-but I am the same deep down. I see him like that. So for me there is no conflict-I got a kick out of the debate for the postal stamp-young Elvis or older Elvis-to me it did not matter-they are both Elvis. But I see what you are saying completely.

Tommy I love the discussion the only problem it can't be help sometimes to go beyond the perimeter of the topic. I certainly hope the people concern heed you request and concentrate mainly on the topic. KPM and EnigmaticSun I understand explicitly the argument you have raised, it is just unfortunate it went out of bound. Anyway, thanks for sharing your personal views.The idea of my thread is based on what I have read, heard and saw for the fast several years of my being an Elvis fan.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlHappy19 View Post
    Therefore I will never discuss again Elvis and drugs.And those who are true fans should stop too.
    Oh, please!

Let other fans discuss what ever we wish to. If you're uncomfortable with the subject, allow the rest of us the freedom to make our own choices.

True fan? Hmmmm ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12