Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you think Elvis is more appreciated in UK than in the US?

Why do you think Elvis is more appreciated in UK than in the US?

I often come across articles about old songs of Elvis entering the UK chart and other countries in this forum. My perception maybe incorrect but it seems Elvis is more appreciated by people abroad than his fellow countrymen. I was also wondering why John Lennon entered the "The hall of fame" in the US far ahead of Elvis an event I found unusual.

I believe Elvis entered the hall of fame during it's first round of inductions.Lennon was not before him.
    Jak

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    I believe Elvis entered the hall of fame during it's first round of inductions.Lennon was not before him.
    Jak
    Yes Elvis was in the first round of inductions along with nine others. The Beatles were not inducted in the first round-as individuals nor as a group.

[QUOTE=ricardo b. prospero;150193]I often come across articles about old songs of Elvis entering the UK chart and other countries in this forum. My perception maybe incorrect but it seems Elvis is more appreciated by people abroad than his fellow countrymen. I was also wondering why John Lennon entered the "The hall of fame" in the US far ahead of Elvis an event I found unusual.[/QUOTE

I have always felt he was appreciated more around the world than here in his home country. Perhaps because hes in "USAs family" so to speak. When you are in the family what you do is sometimes taken for granted and under appreciated.

In the USA Elvis is very much still appreciated and loved by many, many fans, and even non-fans like him and smile when something is said about him. I don't know about the music charts.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    In the USA Elvis is very much still appreciated and loved by many, many fans, and even non-fans like him and smile when something is said about him. I don't know about the music charts.
    I want to believe that Tommy. My kids are all out of school now ages, 21-23-25. They were all in high school in the late 90s into 2004- their friends I met did not have a very good opinion of Elvis. The Beatles they had respect for and even bought albums by- but not Elvis. Some hardly knew anything about him. Some thought rock started with the Beatles. The worst were the ones who thought he was a punchline to bad jokes. The new younger magazines like "Blender" have very little in the way to say about him in a truely good light if anything at all.
    I could never get any of these kids to even listen to one song by him. When ALLC came out a couple of my younger daughters friends said they liked it and one even bought the CD single but that was as close as I ever saw any of them get to being a fan. I'm sure many people in USA love Elvis but the fervor and respect by young people seems to be stronger over seas IMO

KPM and Jak thanks for the info regarding the induction of Elvis to the hall of fame. I am not from the US but based on my personal observation I agree very much with what KPM stated. It is really ironic why the Beatles from UK are more recognized in the US while Elvis consistently makes it good abroad. It is just a far cry from what it should be that the Americans must patronized first their own for they are famous for being patriotic. Could this be the product of all those negative media things that over shadowed the good and better part of Elvis? To think that Elvis is one of the most influential and important figure of the 20th century makes me feel bad how he is appreciated in general by the American people. You don't have to be an avid fan of him to recognize what he did for the American culture and why he is still very much around.
    Tommy please check the music charts of UK and other European countries to verify what I am saying. A lot of these in being posted in this forum.
    Last edited by ricardo b. prospero; 10-23-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo b. prospero View Post
    I often come across articles about old songs of Elvis entering the UK chart and other countries in this forum. My perception maybe incorrect but it seems Elvis is more appreciated by people abroad than his fellow countrymen. I was also wondering why John Lennon entered the "The hall of fame" in the US far ahead of Elvis an event I found unusual.
    Where is the original articule I poste it on this subjet?

This articule answer my question and doubts thrugh all this years---it seems to me that Elvis is more aprecieted in the UK.Is ridiculous that fans,like me find nothing about Elvis.I visit Nasville about two months ago and I was abled to find a store"NOT ON ELVIS ONLY"just a souvenir store where I found a few items.I ask around and I was told that the place to find Elvis memorabilia was Memphis.Once in awhile you find a cd in places like wall-mart.It makes me madElvis is an icon.He changed the history of music and you find music from anyone but Elvis.When I ask if they have Elvis'latets Cd they look at me wierd.I have a bumper sticker on my car and I got into an argument with a guy because he told me that the only thing Elvis did was do drugs.S.O.BThis is america and Elvis is part of our history wheter they like it or not.But unfurtunally alot of people in this country feel that way.Elvis to them is just a fat midle age guy that did drugs and die because of them.
    I am amazed by all the stuff the UK has to offer from our idol.I posted two photos of an Elvis shop that I swear to God I would go crazy bying stuff there!Do we have that here?NOOOOOOOOOOO!!The UK fans see Elvis--the man---the legend--the king and the drug theme is forgiving--after all--he was human.---I better stop because I am all fired up--also money--money.
    "Man,I just work here"
    EP 1968 ComaBack

Girlhappy19 your sentiment was well spelled. I am bound to believe the American media successfully destroyed Elvis image to the maximum hence the effect is so prominent and devastating. It is just unfortunate that you have to learn more about him beyond the issue of drugs to be able to appreciate the guy and definitely non-Elvis fans will never bother find out. This proves once and for all that media can make or break anyone particularly a person of Elvis status. Now it is up to us Elvis fans to rally behind him to keep his legacy alive. By the way for your info you posted a related thread in this forum too. Thank you

Girlhappy19 your sentiment was well spelled. I am bound to believe the American media successfully destroyed Elvis image to the maximum hence the effect is so prominent and devastating. It is just unfortunate that you have to learn more about him beyond the issue of drugs to be able to appreciate the guy and definitely non-Elvis fans will never bother find out. This proves once and for all that media can make or break anyone particularly a person of Elvis status. Now it is up to us Elvis fans to rally behind him to keep his legacy alive. By the way for your info you posted a related thread in this forum too. Thank you
    Why do I have to learn more on the issue of drugs to apreciate Elvis?I love Elvis.Period.First I never talk about his addiction problems--NOT MY BUSSNES.Who am I to judge him?I love the man who shared with us his music,his time,his love.Elvis loved us.Therefore I will never discuss again Elvis and drugs.And those who are true fans should stop too.We all have two sides.What made him different?
    "Man,I just work here"
    EP 1968 ComaBack

Thank you, thank you, thank you for bringing this up!!! I often wonder this myself. Elvis being a big part of our American history, you would think that people here would give him more respect than they do.
    Last edited by Awickedreigndrop; 10-24-2007 at 11:47 PM.

I thought that Elvis was part of the US culture? Maybe you got this impression because the only ones who talk about Elvis in the UK are fans...I mean, for exemple, when you compare US and UK movies, which of them got the more Elvis references?

I don't know if America has a culture. May sound cruel, but McDonalds and such..? Culture is about the way you live - how you eat, drink, sleep, talk, behave..

After Elvis there wasn't so much to enjoy anymore - except for the artists who have survived him, such as Roy Orbison or Johnny Cash.

If you think country music is part of American culture (for example) I must admit that it's more like European folk music. It still has it's roots in Europe, world leader USA or not..

If Elvis is slowly being forgotten in the US, it means that the nation needs to re-discover it's roots and tradition. New is not always better.
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 10-25-2007 at 05:36 AM. Reason: minor error
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticSun View Post
    I don't know if America has a culture. May sound cruel, but McDonalds and such..? Culture is about the way you live - how you eat, drink, sleep, talk, behave..

After Elvis there wasn't so much to enjoy anymore - except for the artists who have survived him, such as Roy Orbison or Johnny Cash.

If you think country music is part of American culture (for example) I must admit that it's more like European folk music. It still has it's roots in Europe, world leader USA or not..

If Elvis is slowly being forgotten in the US, it means that the nation needs to re-discover it's roots and tradition. New is not always better.
    Not to defend America but we have a culture like no other-it is a combination of cultures from all over the globe. America is truely a melting pot for differing ways of life. Each state has a culture unto itself with ties to all the others around our nation. Up north, Down south, out east, out west, and the midwest, all different ways of life and heritage- with many differing traditions. Our country does have roots which travel around the globe-we were the new land of promise and people came from everywhere. (people still want to)But like all countries and powers we are not perfect. Life in the US changes quicker than anywhere else in the world. In my opinion it changes too fast.
    But thats America, a huge country in constant change always in motion.

I'm not convinced and I don't think I ever will be. Not to offend people, but you are not the masters of the world culturally. You just have different people living under the rule of a government. It's still Indian land, if you ask me.

It's not that easy to define being a Rhode Island-inhabitant or a Tennessee-inhabitant. What are those? In Europe every region has it's dialect, flag and certain customs. It's difficult to discard the identity of your region, how can you ever make people from different continents mix? Globalization is pure evil. People just form ghetto's or settlements.

I don't like this McDonald's and junk being thrown at me. That's a reason to dislike it and on top of that the military is always messing around in other countries, manipulating others. In some places of the world they still see it as the Great Satan, not for nothing. A paper tiger.

But I do like Elvis and yes, I think his legacy is timeless. My loyalty to Elvis is not at all impaired by the way I look at America.
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 10-25-2007 at 02:41 PM. Reason: minor error
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticSun View Post
    I'm not convinced and I don't think I ever will be. Not to offend people, but you are not the masters of the world culturally. You just have different people living under the rule of a government. It's still Indian land, if you ask me.

It's not that easy to define being a Rhode Island-inhabitant or a Tennessee-inhabitant. What are those? In Europe every region has it's dialect, flag and certain customs. It's difficult to discard the identity of your region, how can you ever make people from different continents mix? Globalization is pure evil. People just form ghetto's or settlements.

I don't like this McDonald's and junk being thrown at me. That's a reason to dislike it and on top of that the military is always messing around in other countries, manipulating others. In some places of the world they still see it as the Great Satan, not for nothing. A paper tiger.

But I do like Elvis and yes, I think his legacy is timeless. My loyalty to Elvis is not at all impaired by the way I look at America.
    Germany is one country. Italy is one country. Spain is one country. etc... They are proud of their heritage and cultures as they should be.
    Most Americans arer proud of ours as well. You see problems in our diversity and -we see strength in it. You see only the negatives it seems-I'm sorry you see us that way. Basic Americans like me are friendly and want nothing more than friendship with whoever wants it.
    I am part Irish, Scottish, and Cherokee indian and proud of it- but I am an American. All countries including European have their strong points and weak points-things to be proud of in your culture and history and things which are better forgotten. We are the same.
    My state of Illinois has its own flag, midwesterners have our own dialect and speech patterns and our regions is called the bread belt-we produce huge amounts of wheat and corn. We ship it all over the world and many millions of tons of grain are given by our country to others in times of need and disaster. But we are not perfect and I see many of the same flaws that you do. By the same token-Take a look at European history and it also has its share of hypocrisy, greed, and mistakes.
    But I would not underestimate what American can do when it sets its mind to it. But this is not on topic at all. I hope you will understand I am an American who wishes you no ill will and that comes from my heart.
    PS- I would never try to change how you feel-only tell you how I do about the same subject.

I think he is appreciated in the U.S. very much so. I think he is loved the world over and even those who aren't fans, give him credit for the changing the music field, etc...

Another point I'd like to make in defense of the US is that it is a very large country and yes a melting pot so all other countries in the world are represented here. If you were to put in a vote as to who is an Elvis fan it would be a vastly different outcome from smaller countries per capita. Does that make sense to anyone?

I very seldom run across anyone here who puts down Elvis and I've lived in five different states.

Diane

Please stay on subject here and not start talking about countries.

Thank you.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Please stay on subject here and not start talking about countries.

Thank you.
    Sorry Tommy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast