Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Elvis and drugs

Even at his worst Elvis was sweet and tame compared to others.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Yep Getlo, I agree it's all in the perception of Elvis. Some people always see "the glass half empty (sorry). Elvis was always nervous in interviews etc. He wasn't any good at speech making, he slurred and he stammered but that was just him so I guess if anyone wanted to think that, he was never without being under the influence of something his whole life....even as a little kid, but then I guess he could have gotten into his mother's medications .

It's is stupid to go overboard about him being a "saint" but then again some go overboard about him being just the opposite.

Diane

re

I know what GetLo means with the post army interview...he was a little bit strange and was thinking alot about the anwsers.But if that was from drugs???maybe,but I think he was very nervous...good point GetLo
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

Who knows? Maybe the pills were affecting him in public even at that early stage in March 1960, just my opinion though, he seemed more tired and relaxed than anything else. Was this interview the same day as when he got home, or was this the day after? He might of just had a lot on his mind...his homecoming without his mother there, the impending work he had ahead of him,(Frank Sinatra special, recording sessions, return to Hollywood), etc.

I think he was just being careful with his answers. Sometimes it is hard to answer quickly when you don't have knowledge of what the next question might be about, and who the answer might affect. He was very careful in that aspect all through his life.
    NOT denying there were drugs but he didn't look under the influence.
    Some people are good public speakers and others are not. He stammered, stuttered, and mixed his words up quite frequently and I think that was just nervousness. His talent lay in his performing, not speaking.
    ...you're moving on the back roads, by the rivers of my memory and for hours you're just gentle on my mind.

I'd say Elvis on Tour, at the actual concert.
    It's hard to say.

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    Elvis did do a very good job about keeping his drug abuse a secret. He wanted to keep his image. One question though didnt the former MM members sign a confidentiality agreement when they were fired?
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

One would say: there's pretty much to blame Elvis for. He did this and that wrong.

The other would say: Elvis Presley is my saviour and hero. He was the noblest being on earth. We still live to die for Elvis - to die for him is to live forever. Graceland is Presley as Presley is Graceland! Hail Presley!

I do think he had the talent to deliver a speech.. for some reasons:

1. If he was angry at you, he was impressive in doing so. Not every teacher at school can do this.

2. The following part seems very convincing: "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song."

3. I don't think he was always prepared to answer anything and why should he? He was no robot, like politicians seem to be. But in a song his "speech" sounded convincing and eloquent: "Are You Lonesome Tonight" and "Mama Liked The Roses"..

So yes, I do think he had the talent for a speech. Sorry to go off-topic about the drug-thing. It just seems that he's getting an unreasonable share of slander. A lot of other people (celebrities too) are much worse.
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 10-25-2007 at 01:47 PM. Reason: minor error
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Quote Originally Posted by SeeSeeRider777 View Post
    Elvis did do a very good job about keeping his drug abuse a secret. He wanted to keep his image. One question though didnt the former MM members sign a confidentiality agreement when they were fired?
    I don't think I ever heard of such an agreement with any MM. But after the books on Elvis, Howard Hughes, Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, etc... in the 70s and 80s- stars began to take notice and require them of just about anyone who has prolonged contact with them.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ27 View Post
    2. Elvis seemed to be as straight as an arrow for the New York press conference and then just a few months later he was slurring his way through the "Aloha" interviews.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but Elvis wasn't as straight as an arrow during the MSG press conference...he was definitely "high" there...he wasn't "out of it" like the November 20, 1972 press conference for "Aloha" by no means but he was high during the June 9, 1972 MSG press conference....

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble but Elvis wasn't as straight as an arrow during the MSG press conference...he was definitely "high" there...he wasn't "out of it" like the November 20, 1972 press conference for "Aloha" by no means but he was high during the June 9, 1972 MSG press conference....
    See I can not make that statement-because "high" to me means a whole different thing. He may have been using -but IMO he was very lucid, quick witted, on top of his game- in dealing with the press at this PC. The people I have seen who are "high" can not keep train of thought let alone be quick witted or lucid when they speak. But its just a matter of differing interpretation.

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    I dont think Elvis was high for the MSG conference. He spoke fine and acted normal. But he was def high for the press conference in Nov. His speech was slurred. You could see that he was high.
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

Several members of the MM have admitted that Elvis was, in fact, high during the MSG press conference....

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    See I can not make that statement-because "high" to me means a whole different thing. He may have been using -but IMO he was very lucid, quick witted, on top of his game- in dealing with the press at this PC. The people I have seen who are "high" can not keep train of thought let alone be quick witted or lucid when they speak. But its just a matter of differing interpretation.
    good points KPM

Tony, that's an example of what I mean when I say that I feel the MM exaggerated. He may have taken something to calm his nerves before that conference but was obviously not "high". He could take an aspirin and they'd say the same thing,....now I'm exaggerating but you know what I mean.

Diane

Several members of the MM have admitted that Elvis was, in fact, high during the MSG press conference....
    As I said my idea of "high" is as I stated in my previous post. If the MM said he was high, then there idea of "high" and mine do not match.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeSeeRider777 View Post
    I dont think Elvis was high for the MSG conference. He spoke fine and acted normal. But he was def high for the press conference in Nov. His speech was slurred. You could see that he was high.
    Yes, that press conference is difficult to watch. I think he was fine during the MSG, he certainly seemed in control.

InterestingWhat is it about the MSG press confrence that you see as being "high"? I've tried to watch and be objective, but I honestly can't find fault with his delivery. Now, unfortunately, the Nov. Aloha is an entirely different matter.

But....do we always believe everything the MM is telling??

Ahhhhh, that's the rub!

Diane

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234