14 22.95%
  • 8 out of 10

9 14.75%
  • 10 out of 10

36 59.02%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: White Spanish Flower Jumpsuit 1973

Re: White Spanish Flower Jumpsuit 1973

The last known picture I have of Elvis with a cape on stage is from Tulsa, Oklahoma on March 1st, 1974. Elvis is wearing the "Gold Vine". He only put it on for the last song. The last reported occasion where a cape was involved was indeed Auburn on March 5th, 1974. But Elvis didn't wear it. It was just sitting on the piano.

I have two homes, and have been on the road, normally I live inSeattle and Spokane area..

Yes indeed, I have some photo's of him in his jumpsuits, I can't seem to get the download upload thingy right. My brother messed up my computer as well.. thanks bro.I didn't like the ones with the capes so much...it's obvious I loved the purple one... SMILES all over!

"I just wanna be......your Teddy Bear"

Thank you Leroy,seems Elvis wore the capes a little longer than I thought, seems to be very few photo's from 1974, were capes are worn.
    Leroy, do you know the whereabouts of the dark blue phoenix jumpsuit?
    I've tracked down most of them, however can't find any info on that one.
    yours Hughhughp

Backstage Pass

Button: Do you oknow who the little cutie is in th ephoto with Elvis, holding a record award?

Quote Originally Posted by hughhughp View Post
    Thank you Leroy,seems Elvis wore the capes a little longer than I thought, seems to be very few photo's from 1974, were capes are worn.
    Leroy, do you know the whereabouts of the dark blue phoenix jumpsuit?
    I've tracked down most of them, however can't find any info on that one.
    yours Hughhughp
    Sorry for my late reaction. A lot of jumpsuits ended up in private collections. Some of them even "disappeared". Some were stolen by "so called friends". Some were sold or given away by Vernon after Elvis passed away. So who knows. As for the "Dark Blue Phoenix" (aka "Silver Phoenix")... anything could have happened to it. I wish I could inform you. I do know there's only one place where they belong: on display at Graceland !!!!

Coming On Strong Brad Stalnaker's Avatar

the photos in medleyofcostumes post are of the '73 Rainfall or "Nashville" suit. Everyone get's this confused or simply names it wrong. But I saw him wear it in Pittsburgh '73. And I agree that from afar it's hard to tell them apart. But those shots are the right date...just wrong name.

Backstage Pass

I love this painting Elvia
    N777

International Level Tigerman1975's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    Publishing a book about this subject has been a dream for a long time. Until I met Gene Doucette and Robert Polston.... They were working on that too.... I didn't wanna get in their way. Besides that.... EPE has all the rights and I don't wanna play according to their rules. If I was to write a book about Elvis wardobe I want it to be accurate. EPE has been providing the fans with too many lies and half-truths.

To go back to the cape thing, yes I have some pictures... Not the best quality though.. The pictures were taken during Elvis show in Tulsa, Oklahoma on March 1st, 1974. He is wearing the "Gold Vine".
    During the first part of the tour a cape was used at the very end of the show. It was probably hooked on his suit during the intro of "Can't Help Falling In Love".

According to what I have heard the very last time a cape was involved was in Auburn, Alabama. The story goes that Elvis entered the stage holding the cape in his hand. Then he gave it to Charlie who put it on top of the piano. It stayed there for the remainder of the show and was never used to wear.

Please write a book Leroy. I'd place my order right now.
    I'm the king of the jungle, they call me Tiger Man. If you cross my path, you take your own life in your hands.

Backstage Pass

this is a fantasic suit that has all the right design lines, it's busy on top but very sleek down the legs . Also the only suit with a longer big belt front, which actually makes the suit more sleek. I also think maybe he should have gone with this longer style front belt for all the embroidered suits to give them more design and would have also slimed his waist line better when he gained more weight. he wore this with the peacock suit and althought looked a liitle off design wise it looked better then the small front style as far as flattery

Last edited by Tommy; 08-01-2012 at 12:38 PM.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Cadillac King

A beautiful jumpsuit. Great design and beautiful jewels.

IM

Backstage Pass

Is anybody going to Graceland soon?

For the first time they are displaying the backside of the cape of this beautiful design.
    I love to see good quality photos of this cape.

Please contact me for info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails white spanish flower cape.jpg  

Backstage Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    The last known picture I have of Elvis with a cape on stage is from Tulsa, Oklahoma on March 1st, 1974. Elvis is wearing the "Gold Vine". He only put it on for the last song. The last reported occasion where a cape was involved was indeed Auburn on March 5th, 1974. But Elvis didn't wear it. It was just sitting on the piano.
    From looking at alot of pictures of elvis in concert and most pictures you might find are of the first song with guitar, he isnt wearing a cape as far as anyshow after the Aloha show in '73. the jeweled cape were pretty heavy ( but not 60-70 pounds as gene d claims) i think he oppted to wear them for the last song as he did for the aloha show. he also only wore them for 2 or three songs most at the begining of the shows in '71 and '72 and for the last one or two at the end of shows. he never wore a cape for any full show.

Quote Originally Posted by drumzz70 View Post
    From looking at alot of pictures of Elvis in concert and most pictures you might find are of the first song with guitar, he isn't wearing a cape as far as any show after the Aloha show in '73. the jeweled capes were pretty heavy ( but not 60-70 pounds as gene d claims) i think he opted to wear them for the last song as he did for the Aloha show. he also only wore them for 2 or three songs most at the beginning of the shows in '71 and '72 and for the last one or two at the end of shows. he never wore a cape for any full show.

Most fast already know this just by watching "Elvis On Tour" or seeing him in person concert. He finally stopped wearing them altogether by 1974 when Gene began making the embroidered suits. I'd say that the reason had to do with the weight and the probability factor of the female fans pulling on the edges of the capes - resulting in a dangerous situation for the fans, and most especially, Elvis in regards to being pulled off-stage.

I don't think Gene Doucette really meant that they were actually that heavy. I think that the most they weighed were about thirty pounds. He was just probably saying that as a joke - but there were, in fact, capes that were very heavy. I would imagine the original Aloha cape being very, very heavy and it has been said that the 1974 Arabian suit (the Memphis suit) was one of his heaviest costumes - especially when combined with that gorgeous cape.

Backstage Pass

i agree with you on that, the long aloha cape actually made elvis fall backwards during rehearsal, and they had to rush a waist lenght cape out to him in hawaii. also the full heavy studded suits with cape and belt i agree were heavy around 30 or so pounds. i have a multi belt #4 from B&K and its is heavy by itself , i recommend it to any collector, it is besides the egyptian suit belt the most jeweled and studded that they make.
    Last edited by drumzz70; 03-08-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Backstage Pass

even the snowflake belt is heavy by itself. I once made the black conquistador cape and that weighs about 2 kg.
    A very heavy cape is the stone flame cape. Also very heavily studded. Weighs probably more then the first arabian belt.
    Also the topaz tiger cape is very heavy. The lining of that cape is different material (much thicker and heavier). Most likely he reason why Elvis didn't wore that last cape.

Indeed Elvis didn't wear the spanish flower cape. But still it is a work of art. And the fact that Elvis didn't wear it, doesn't mean I want to see it up close.

So is there anybody who is going to Graceland and who can make proper photos of this?

Backstage Pass

Quote Originally Posted by merry77 View Post
    even the snowflake belt is heavy by itself. I once made the black conquistador cape and that weighs about 2 kg.
    A very heavy cape is the stone flame cape. Also very heavily studded. Weighs probably more then the first arabian belt.
    Also the topaz tiger cape is very heavy. The lining of that cape is different material (much thicker and heavier). Most likely he reason why Elvis didn't wore that last cape.

Indeed Elvis didn't wear the spanish flower cape. But still it is a work of art. And the fact that Elvis didn't wear it, doesn't mean I want to see it up close.

So is there anybody who is going to Graceland and who can make proper photos of this?
    I agree with you on all studded suits. Unless you have a real or as close to the original cape , belt or jumpsuit. most people can't really judge the weight of these.

Backstage Pass

The topaz stone, is a suit that was requested ( beside the aloha suit ) by Elvis to symbol the tiger. it did have a tiger print cape and also tiger print kickpleats. The stud work on the suit is the same pattern as the embroidered tiger suit leg design. There are pictures ( up close pictures) of the suit , belt , and the kick pleat on Flickr.com under search Elvis Presley jumpsuits, the photos are from the Rock and soul museum .

Backstage Pass

Topaz tiger I have dozens of good pictures (took them myself). Also have a few minutes of video of the suit.
    It's the spanish flower cape I'm after.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast