Thread: Why tour so much?

Backstage Pass President Presley's Avatar

Why tour so much?

I'm wondering: if Elvis was being that ill, glaucoma, liver etc. Did Elvis tour so much to go out with a big bang and this was his way of saying goodbye to us fans?
    "Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!".
    Groucho Marx

According to what I've read ; he really needed the money.
    There were a few that kept saying "he needs to rest, he's ill". But no one listened, it seems, not even himself.

MissyM
    No one listen? Some did, Elvis did not.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    According to what I've read ; he really needed the money.
    There were a few that kept saying "he needs to rest, he's ill". But no one listened, it seems, not even himself.
    You are right cameron, Elvis Was Flat broke, with Col Tom Parker's Bitting Habits In the past In Las Vegas And Lake Tahoe.
    Elvis had 3 Millions left In his Checking went he past way, with His own Habits, Buying Thing For another's, Elvis did have soft Heart, WEith him from poor famliy He knows How It was To Live Been Poor.
    Tom
    Take a look at you and me,,Are we too blind to see, Do we Simply turn our heads and look the other way.....(Line From "in The Ghetto")

I think he needed the money too he was a peoples' person did alot for others and being that he need to get paid he had too many "masters" to attened too
    "Why is it that we want our idols to die on a cross of their own making, and if they don?t, we want our money back? But you know, Elvis ate America before America ate him." Bono

re

Elvis always said he didn't want to disapoint the fans,but I think the most important thing was he needed the money.
    He really spend alot of money every day(week,month)
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

Elvis didn't have that much money when he died....Tom, not sure where you got 3 million dollars from - in another thread they posted what he had - something like $500,000 or something?

Two reasons only for so much touring:

1. Professional: the Elvis industry (let's face it, that's what it was) needed the money. The Colonel's gambling was sucking away at the Presley teat way too much.

2. Personal: Elvis loved to be up on stage singing. Although, towards the end, you get the feeling sometimes he'd rather have been anywhere else.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by ksimms2 View Post
    Elvis didn't have that much money when he died....Tom, not sure where you got 3 million dollars from - in another thread they posted what he had - something like $500,000 or something?
    Elvis had about 2 million give or take a few hundred thousand when he died depending on where you get the info-but when the point came to decide to open Graceland they were down to about $500,000 is what I have read.

I think from elvis point of view he did not want to let his fans down, i dont think he really cared to much about the money, from col point of view he wanted elvis touring so he could get money coming in to feed his gambling addiction.
    elvislady

Quote Originally Posted by ksimms2 View Post
    I got from what cilla say in 1989 intview and few Books I read and I went to graceland in 1988, that they say too.
    Tom
    Take a look at you and me,,Are we too blind to see, Do we Simply turn our heads and look the other way.....(Line From "in The Ghetto")

MissyM
    Elvis was also afraid of fading from the minds of his fans because of the new music out there.

Quote Originally Posted by MissyM View Post
    Elvis was also afraid of fading from the minds of his fans because of the new music out there.
    Missy, if he could only see us now....not only has he NOT faded in the 30yrs since his death - he is more popular than ever.

MissyM
    Amen to that K!!!!! Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by elvislady View Post
    I think from elvis point of view he did not want to let his fans down, i dont think he really cared to much about the money, from col point of view he wanted elvis touring so he could get money coming in to feed his gambling addiction.
    elvislady
    I agree, elvislady! I think he just loved it so much and loved the fans!

franny

Backstage Pass President Presley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis himselvis View Post
    Elvis always said he didn't want to disapoint the fans

I'm very disapointed now he's no longer with us, but we still got his music, dvd's and books. If he'd kept in shape he could have looked back at a great live at the age of 72. He was there at the start and could have seen how the music industry has grown.

Thanks all for your reactions
    "Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!".
    Groucho Marx

I think he always loved playing to a live audience, and he was always used to working. When he did take time off, it was no more then a couple of months. Of course, we wish he could have taken a couple of years off, sorted out his life, and perhaps he would still be with us, unfortunately, that didn't happen.