Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Elvis On Tour - what was actually filmed?

  1. #1
    Backstage Pass
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Malta, Europe
    Posts
    211

    Elvis On Tour - what was actually filmed?

    With an undying hope that an 'Elvis on tour' 3/4 dvd box set will be available soon, I was wondering what the producers filmed for the film and thus could (or rather should) be made available to us.

    Many outtakes from either the March rehearsals and the April tour have been circulating for years.

    What about the professionally filmed clip of Elvis getting dressed to receive an award (I believe) shot in Vegas during August. And the excellent (professional???) clips from June 1972?

  2. #2
    TCB Mafia EP75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,060
    Over 16 hours of footage was filmed between March and April with the dressing room footage being filmed in August. Four complete shows were filmed by MGM and recorded by RCA. They were:

    Hampton Roads, Va, April 9, 1972 8:30 pm show.
    Richmond, Va, April 10, 1972 8:30 pm show.
    Greensboro, NC, April 14, 1972 8:30 pm show.
    San Antonio, TX April 18, 1972 8:30 pm show.

    Other shows were filmed in parts but without audio. Some backstage footage was filmed in Knoxville, Jacksonville, Macon, Buffalo (rehearsal), and Little Rock. Strangely the Richmond show was really never used in the original film. They only used about 45 seconds or so while singing Until It's Time For You To Go and Love Me Tender. About 98% of the show remains unseen and about 40% remains unheard as it is missing from the bootleg.

    Note of interest: EP sang Lawdy Miss Clawdy at the Richmond show near the end as he did in Hampton Roads the night before. But it is missing from the audio on bootleg.
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

    Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

  3. #3
    International Level
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    Over 16 hours of footage was filmed between March and April with the dressing room footage being filmed in August. Four complete shows were filmed by MGM and recorded by RCA. They were:

    Hampton Roads, Va, April 9, 1972 8:30 pm show.
    Richmond, Va, April 10, 1972 8:30 pm show.
    Greensboro, NC, April 14, 1972 8:30 pm show.
    San Antonio, TX April 18, 1972 8:30 pm show.

    Other shows were filmed in parts but without audio. Some backstage footage was filmed in Knoxville, Jacksonville, Macon, Buffalo (rehearsal), and Little Rock. Strangely the Richmond show was really never used in the original film. They only used about 45 seconds or so while singing Until It's Time For You To Go and Love Me Tender. About 98% of the show remains unseen and about 40% remains unheard as it is missing from the bootleg.

    Note of interest: EP sang Lawdy Miss Clawdy at the Richmond show near the end as he did in Hampton Roads the night before. But it is missing from the audio on bootleg.

    Those shows were not filmed in their entirety

  4. #4
    Backstage Pass pacer 1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    121
    apparently MGM filmed around 50 hours of footage...there'a photo somehwhere of the two directors standing next to all the cans of film reels which some are clearly labelled...will try and find it if your interested.....also heard a rumour that more O/T are due to be ermmm released...lol

  5. #5
    TCB Mafia EP75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,060
    Yes they were. It's been comfirmed by several who have seen the outtakes in the vaults.
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

    Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

  6. #6
    TCB Mafia EP75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by pacer 1966 View Post
    apparently MGM filmed around 50 hours of footage...there'a photo somehwhere of the two directors standing next to all the cans of film reels which some are clearly labelled...will try and find it if your interested.....also heard a rumour that more O/T are due to be ermmm released...lol

    Correct. But most of that footage was without sound. I would love to see the lost and almost forgotten Richmond concert released in it's entirety on DVD in 5.1 surround sound and high def.
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

    Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

  7. #7
    TCB Mafia EP75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,060
    Here's some stills from the Richmond concert filmed by MGM.

    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

    Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

  8. #8
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    A lot of it has been circulating for the last couple years in pretty poor quality but I would love to see a 4 DVD set from what they have released to us.

  9. #9
    I Dreamed a Dream Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    17,834
    We've all been wishing for this for a long time. EOT remastered, more footage. I'll believe it only when I see it (that it will ever be released again)

    I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

  10. #10
    International Level
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    Yes they were. It's been comfirmed by several who have seen the outtakes in the vaults.

    Suprisinlgy they didn't make it onto the bootlegs.

    I didn't film it so I can't say for sure, but it seems that things were not filmed in their complete entirety.

    It would be great to have 3-4 full concerts from the tour.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    282
    Let's clear this up, shall we ?

    Not everything filmed for "Elvis On Tour" has survived or made it onto actual tape, per se.

    To the best of my knowledge, According to MGM/Turner archives, of the 4 concerts filmed for "Elvis On Tour", they are NOT all complete and this goes for the March rehearsal/s tapes as well.

    MGM briefly filmed the afternoon performance in Hampton Roads, Va and a few of those scenes can be seen in the film.

    Unfortunately, the concert filmed in Richmond, VA, where Elvis wears his now famous "Burning Love" jumpsuit, is also NOT complete and to this day, no evidence has surfaced as doing so. In fact, very, very little footage has ever been seen from this concert, except for the bits used in the "On Tour" movie.

    The recordings for these shows were done by the Record Plant, with the exception of the San Antonio concert, which was recorded by the Wally Heider Company.

    The RCA archives only claims to have one complete show, (San Antonio-released in 2003), and 1/2 of the Greensboro gig.

  12. #12
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    I hope whatever they have they release it and clean it up a little.
    You can buy programs for our home computers which inhance color and clarity in old film and they work pretty well for the price-surely at the very least someone at the studio level could allow even this small a restoration of the film they have unreleased.

  13. #13
    TCB Mafia EP75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Creole View Post

    To the best of my knowledge, According to MGM/Turner archives, of the 4 concerts filmed for "Elvis On Tour", they are NOT all complete and this goes for the March rehearsal/s tapes as well.
    How's that? Have you actually been inside the vaults? Uh, no you have not so don't assume what is and isn't there. Besides those that have actually seen this footage personally have said that these shows were filmed, maybe not all the dialogs at times. But the numbers performed were and that's all that matters.

    MGM briefly filmed the afternoon performance in Hampton Roads, Va and a few of those scenes can be seen in the film.
    Where do you get this from? There's about 85% of this show already released. And about 60% professionally. I wouldn't call that "brief".LOL Besides EP tells Glen to start over Teady Bear because the camera guy missed it. So that pretty much sums up that they were recording the whole show as much as possible.

    In fact, very, very little footage has ever been seen from this concert, except for the bits used in the "On Tour" movie.
    I already said this in my earlier post.

    The RCA archives only claims to have one complete show, (San Antonio-released in 2003), and 1/2 of the Greensboro gig.
    I have no idea where you got this information from but this is completely wrong. RCA has all four shows complete in their NY city vaults gathering dust and aging. Ernst himself has said that all four shows are in the vaults and complete. They are waiting for Time Warner to quit beating around the bush so that they can release a deluxe set as a tie-in with the DVD release. That is if it ever comes out in our lifetime.
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

    Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

  14. #14
    Backstage Pass alstrada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    167
    Filming For Mgm

    "elvis On Tour"

    March 30 1972 "rca Hollywood Studio" Filmed With Mgm Cameras

    March 31 1972 "rca Hollywood Studio" Filmed With Mgm Cameras

    April 5 1972 "buffalo" Ny Conference Room Filmed With Mgm Cameras

    April 5 1972 "buffalo" Ny Filmed Using A Mobile Video Camera

    April 9 1972 "hampton" / 2 Concerts / Filmed With Mgm Cameras

    April 10 1972 "richmond" Filmed With Mgm Cameras

    April 13 1972 "charlotte" Filmed With Mgm Cameras

    April 15 1972 "macon" / 2 Concerts / Filmed With Mgm Cameras

    April 16 1972 "jacksonville" / 2 Concerts / + After Show Filmed With Mgm Cameras

    April 18 1972 "san Antonio" Filmed With Mgm Cameras

    June 9 1972 "madison Square Garden" Ny There Is Approximately 40 Minutes Of Professional Footages

    November 18 1972 "the H.i.c. Arena, Honolulu Hawaii" At Least 4 Songs Were Filmed During This Show

    January 23 1973 "las Vegas" A Minimum Of 7 Songs From This Concert Is On Film And In The Hands Of Collector

  15. #15
    TCB Mafia EP75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,060
    Thanks for all that information Alstrada.
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

    Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

  16. #16

    .

    What's your source for this list?

    Quote Originally Posted by alstrada View Post

    June 9 1972 "madison Square Garden" Ny There Is Approximately 40 Minutes Of Professional Footages
    Rumour, rumour, rumour only! There has never been any verified proof of this, not to mention the fact that not one millisecond of "professional footage" from MSG has emerged in 35 years. Not even a screengrab.

    Quote Originally Posted by alstrada View Post
    November 18 1972 "the H.i.c. Arena, Honolulu Hawaii" At Least 4 Songs Were Filmed During This Show
    Only by Japanese television, not MGM cameras or any film company!

    Quote Originally Posted by alstrada View Post
    January 23 1973 "las Vegas" A Minimum Of 7 Songs From This Concert Is On Film And In The Hands Of Collector
    Rumour again! And "a collector" is not a credible source, sorry. (See below from ruggishboo - there was no show on January 23rd!!)

    You forgot to mention the rehearsal footage where Elvis is wearing that long light blue jacket with the dark blue stripes. On the On Tour outtakes video, he starts to sing Burning Love with the words to For The Good Times. A snippet of this day's footage is seen in On Tour, ie when he gets on an elevator carrying a cane, and a couple of other seconds. Anyone know when this was fillmed?
    Last edited by Getlo; 10-07-2007 at 10:50 PM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

  17. #17
    Backstage Pass ruggishboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post

    You forgot to mention the rehearsal footage where Elvis is wearing that long light blue jacket with the dark blue stripes. On the On Tour outtakes video, he starts to sing Burning Love with the words to For The Good Times. A snippet of this day's footage is seen in On Tour, ie when he gets on an elevator carrying a cane, and a couple of other seconds. Anyone know when this was fillmed?
    Wasn't this filmed in Buffalo on April 5th? That's what I've always been led to believe anyway...

  18. #18
    Backstage Pass ruggishboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    187
    January 23 1973 "las Vegas" A Minimum Of 7 Songs From This Concert Is On Film And In The Hands Of Collector[/QUOTE]

    Elvis was in Vegas by this date, but his first show wasn't until the 26th..

  19. #19

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by ruggishboo View Post
    Elvis was in Vegas by this date, but his first show wasn't until the 26th..
    Hey, yeah. Good point!

    Elvis had returned to Vegas on the 15th.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    How's that? Have you actually been inside the vaults? Uh, no you have not so don't assume what is and isn't there. Besides those that have actually seen this footage personally have said that these shows were filmed, maybe not all the dialogs at times. But the numbers performed were and that's all that matters.
    Your ignorance clouds whatever brain cells you might still have.

    I don't assume, I know, (I have official documentation on this info), and until YOU can prove me wrong, try and limit your reply time with these outlandish, illinformed and childish replies and keep your piehole closed for once.


    Where do you get this from? There's about 85% of this show already released. And about 60% professionally. I wouldn't call that "brief".LOL Besides EP tells Glen to start over Teady Bear because the camera guy missed it. So that pretty much sums up that they were recording the whole show as much as possible.
    Again, if you knew what you were actually talking about, you could have saved yourself the embarrasment, but I said "AFTERNOON" performance, not "EVENING" ...

    Betcha didn't even know Elvis did a matinee that day, HUH ?

    Oh brother ...


    I have no idea where you got this information from but this is completely wrong. RCA has all four shows complete in their NY city vaults gathering dust and aging.
    Uh, no RCA has what I just told you above. You have absolutely NO IDEA what your babbling about, as usual ...

    Reality bites ya real hard when I make ya spin after your own tail don't it Ep75 ?

    Ernst himself has said that all four shows are in the vaults and complete.
    When and where has Ernst said this ???

    And since when have you ever believed anything Ernst has claimed to be the bible when you are the biggest Ernst hater there is ?

    Puh-Leeze ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. was opening night 69 filmed?
    By jason7890 in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 09-20-2008, 09:04 PM
  2. What were these Bean clips filmed for?
    By Johnny in forum Off topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 06:39 PM
  3. 1969 - Press conference was filmed?
    By Maikcool in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-23-2007, 03:21 PM
  4. pittsburg filmed?
    By ralph in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 08:49 PM
  5. Filmed concerts?
    By peter in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-02-2006, 04:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •