Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jacket Worn During '68 Special/Nixon Meeting--The Same One?

Jacket Worn During '68 Special/Nixon Meeting--The Same One?

I was watching the '68 Comeback Special this morning and I'd like to ask a question....

I've heard that the jacket he wore during the sequence of the "Trouble" nightclub scene is the same jacket that he wore when he met President Nixon two years later.

Is this true?

I don't think so Tony, looks a little different to me but Leroy would know for sure......Leroy you there?

Diane

I think don't so Too.
    Tom
    Take a look at you and me,,Are we too blind to see, Do we Simply turn our heads and look the other way.....(Line From "in The Ghetto")

Backstage Pass
    IT IS!!! the same jacket.Its about time people figured that one out,lol.He wore it over one of his cosack suits over his shoulders.A lot of people think its a cape,but its not!...Its the same jacket from '68.

Quote Originally Posted by tcbtigerman View Post
    IT IS!!! the same jacket.Its about time people figured that one out,lol.He wore it over one of his cosack suits over his shoulders.A lot of people think its a cape,but its not!...Its the same jacket from '68.

You are correct. It is, in fact, the very same jacket. I got a reply from EPE 'bout the jacket this morning (although the person who replied was sort of being a ******** with their reply....*rollseyes*).

Backstage Pass
    It's the same jacket.. Oh yeah you all know the blue suit he wore in 1970? He wore it offstage.. and there's footage of it seen on the TTWII outtakes. (the picture of '69 with the sunglasses on). It's the same suit he wore on the family pictures made in 1970 with Priscilla and Lisa Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Ocean View Post
    Oh yeah you all know the blue suit he wore in 1970? He wore it offstage.. and there's footage of it seen on the TTWII outtakes. (the picture of '69 with the sunglasses on). It's the same suit he wore on the family pictures made in 1970 with Priscilla and Lisa Marie
    No, it isn't.

Those two suits are two different shades of blue. And you can see in these two photos that the jacket part has an entirely different cut to the TTWII one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ep1.jpg   ep3.jpg  
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    No, it isn't.

Those two suits are two different shades of blue. And you can see in these two photos that the jacket part has an entirely different cut to the TTWII one.
    Its hard to tell by photos-light the photo is taken by, the exposure time, camera quality all have an effect on the final picture and color. The fact that Lisa is covering the front of the jacket and he is wearing a shirt underneath also makes it hard to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I was watching the '68 Comeback Special this morning and I'd like to ask a question....

I've heard that the jacket he wore during the sequence of the "Trouble" nightclub scene is the same jacket that he wore when he met President Nixon two years later.

Is this true?
    yes, it is! we had that discussion in another forum 1 or 2 years ago .... and leroy confirmed it's the same.

tony, see also here where i posted pictures.

http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread....ighlight=nixon

hope this helps.

hugs, ellie
    i don't suffer from insanity - i enjoy every minute of it

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Its hard to tell by photos-light the photo is taken by, the exposure time, camera quality all have an effect on the final picture and color. The fact that Lisa is covering the front of the jacket and he is wearing a shirt underneath also makes it hard to compare.
    Look at the photos again. In the one with Lisa, there is a sewn line running down the jacket just to the left of the buttons (Elvis' left that is). A deliberate fold in the fabric you'd find on suits of the day.

That is not on the TTWII suit.

They are two different outfits.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Look at the photos again. In the one with Lisa, there is a sewn line running down the jacket just to the left of the buttons (Elvis' left that is). A deliberate fold in the fabric you'd find on suits of the day.

That is not on the TTWII suit.

They are two different outfits.
    That sewn line has a term and I can't recall what it is- could be its called a "jet" Perhaps one of the ladys knows.
    I see it and can not see the other jacket well enough to know if it has that also. I don't know if its the same or not my comment was only about how color can be altered by many things when taking a picture. Leroy might be the one with the answer.

Im not positive but I doubt it's the same jacket.I thought the nixon suit was some kind of crush velvet material.I cant believe Elvis could still fit into that jacket in 72.He was extremely lean in 68.
    Jak

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    Im not positive but I doubt it's the same jacket.I thought the nixon suit was some kind of crush velvet material.I cant believe Elvis could still fit into that jacket in 72.He was extremely lean in 68.
    Jak
    Where did the rumor start that this coat was purple crushed velvet-I read it in a couple books. Elvis met Nixon on Dec. 21, 1970 so maybe the coat would still fit-but if it is the same double breasted coat as the 68 special- it fits much more snug and it is unbuttoned. In the 68 special it is buttoned and looks almost a little too big.

Quote Originally Posted by EDOEP View Post
    yes, it is! we had that discussion in another forum 1 or 2 years ago .... and leroy confirmed it's the same.

tony, see also here where i posted pictures.

http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread....ighlight=nixon

hope this helps.

hugs, ellie
    Yes, Ellie, this is my fav. suit and in another thread about Elvis' clothing you uploaded some pics of the same suit from The Comeback That's when I first found out that it's the same one! Thanks for that! - hehe

Backstage Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    Im not positive but I doubt it's the same jacket.I thought the nixon suit was some kind of crush velvet material.I cant believe Elvis could still fit into that jacket in 72.He was extremely lean
    in 68.
    Jak

The Nixon suit was never a crush velvet suit.It consists of 2 outfits thrown together.Its one of his cosack suit a black one to be exact and the jacket is NOT a cape like a lot of people thought.He wears the jacket over his shoulders,didnt put it on.It looks like a cape.They have it on display at Graceland now,but if you look at the pictures and look really close you can figure it out.

I think the Jerry Hopkins bio said it was crushed velvet.I made a typo on the year.He sure looked heavier when he met nixon though.
    Jak

I think the suit that is the crushed velvet is the one Elvis wore at Sonny's wedding.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    That sewn line has a term and I can't recall what it is- could be its called a "jet"
    Yeah, I couldn't recall it either.

But you can see on other pics of the TTWII blue outfit that it doesn't have it. They're two different outfits, and the TTWII one is made of shinier material, and that is evident in every photo.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure that the 68 jacket is the same as the one worn to see Nixon as Leroy has already mentioned this in numerous threads.

The blue jacket worn in the Priscilla & Lisa photo session looks the same as the one worn in TTWII, I certainly wouldn't bet money on it not being, on closer inspection of the photo's attached they look identicle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TTWII suit.jpg   TTWII suit 2.jpg   TTWII suit 3.jpg  

Hum, is this true ?i did not know that, can someone post pictures there we can see that it is the same jacket ?
    Taking Care of Business
    Til we meet you again, may God bless you, Adios.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast