Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: overwight Elvis in CLAMBAKE?

  1. #21
    PeacockLady Diane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    11,636
    For heaven's sake, we're talking about a human being here and no human being no matter who he is should be expected to be "godlike"....there isn't any such thing. Everyone has their ups and downs in weight and because Elvis was known to take pills, every little accident or trip has to be attributed to it? Why the need for drama all the time???

    Diane

  2. #22
    Backstage Pass Elton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Great State of Shock
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by ksimms2 View Post
    yes I just read this in "Revelations From The Memphis Mafia" and they said Elvis tried to pass it off as tripping over an electric cord or something but that he was wasted.....
    I Slipped,I Stumble,I Fell.
    You Remember That Donach Ya?

    Later Elton ^j^

  3. #23
    TCB Mafia Joe Car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,331
    Elvis like most other people, battled his weight most of his adult life. When he would screen certain movies of his, he would comment about being "too fat." As far as Dexedrine goes, doctors all over the place were prescribing for weight loss and for a stimulant for people who's work needed them to be awake longer then usual, truckers especially, before they were limited on how many hours a day they can drive. That's how the saying "white line fever" came about, from truckers driving like for 24 hours at a time, poor guys. This took place in the sixties and seventies.

  4. #24
    I believe the issue regarding Elvis problem with his weight is no longer a hidden secret.
    Most of us ardently wish Elvis maintain his youthful and handsome appearance forever if possible, but we failed to accept the fact that Elvis is no superman like you and me and he is bound to grow old and face some health problems aggravated more by problems that tend to destroy his well being. Remember nothing in this world is immaculate and permanent. The sad transition we have to undergo with age will spell the difference physically and mentally.

  5. #25
    Coming On Strong
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    67
    I don't think Elvis looked overweight in "Clambake". But then again I have a keg instead of a 6 - pack.....

  6. #26
    International Level
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    For heaven's sake, we're talking about a human being here and no human being no matter who he is should be expected to be "godlike"....there isn't any such thing. Everyone has their ups and downs in weight and because Elvis was known to take pills, every little accident or trip has to be attributed to it? Why the need for drama all the time???

    Diane

    I don't know.....perhaps the Colonel could answer your question as all the fuss he created over it it seems he was pretty sure Elvis didn't just accidentally fall over!

    Neither do many of the other people who were around at the time.

  7. #27
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryx View Post
    I don't know.....perhaps the Colonel could answer your question as all the fuss he created over it it seems he was pretty sure Elvis didn't just accidentally fall over!

    Neither do many of the other people who were around at the time.
    Elvis hated the script for Clambake and had dragged his feet about starting production. What caused his fall in the shower is open to question but The Col. and his fuss had a lot to do with the books Elvis had been reading and the talks he was having concerning what he should do with his life-mainly with Larry Gellar. IMO The MM did not like Gellar-he had Elvis's ear at the time and he was rocking their boat. Some were glad to see that Gellar and the books got put down. They had no burning desire to figure out "Why me" like Elvis.
    IMO the Col may have worried Elvis was getting too far off the beaten path. COl probably liked the "yes sir -no sir" Elvis he had first met in the 50s much better than the Elvis who wondered, "Why me and whats the purpose of my life"
    I'm sure the Elvis who "pondered his existence" scared and worried Parker.
    Parker also reportedly told all the MM in a meeting to leave Elvis alone and not to bring their problems to him that this was part of the problem.

  8. #28
    Cadillac King GirlHappy19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Maui,Hawaii
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    How could anyone who at times looked like a "greek god" be happy with the change in appearance which happened to Elvis in 76 and 77?

    True.Very true.
    "Man,I just work here"
    EP 1968 ComaBack

  9. #29
    Cadillac King GirlHappy19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Maui,Hawaii
    Posts
    336
    I loved Elvis.I still do.As a matter of fact I just purchase a painting from 76 with the Bicentenial suit.That goes to show that our (my) love for Elvis was not based on looks only.I am sorry if I started something here.It was not meant for me to do so.As for the person who said-----that he/she was sorry to burst my bubble----is ok.I like to add that I have been an Elvis fan since 71 and I am a true fan.I just was not into it until now that I join TCB.
    Also Im sorry that the movies he made were of low quality.Some of the stuff they ask him to do in the movies were stupid.I don't blame him for not wanting to do them.I believe he was a good actor---too bad that he was never given a good role.He was a natural born artits.I read he was up for "A Star is Born"with BS,but later on CC was casted.It would have been a good part for him.

    Have a nice week end TCB's

    [email protected][COLOR="Red"]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ClamBake_305549.jpg  
    "Man,I just work here"
    EP 1968 ComaBack

  10. #30
    International Level
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlHappy19 View Post
    I loved Elvis.I still do.As a matter of fact I just purchase a painting from 76 with the Bicentenial suit.That goes to show that our (my) love for Elvis was not based on looks only.I am sorry if I started something here.It was not meant for me to do so.As for the person who said-----that he/she was sorry to burst my bubble----is ok.I like to add that I have been an Elvis fan since 71 and I am a true fan.I just was not into it until now that I join TCB.
    Also Im sorry that the movies he made were of low quality.Some of the stuff they ask him to do in the movies were stupid.I don't blame him for not wanting to do them.I believe he was a good actor---too bad that he was never given a good role.He was a natural born artits.I read he was up for "A Star is Born"with BS,but later on CC was casted.It would have been a good part for him.

    Have a nice week end TCB's

    [email protected][COLOR="Red"]
    Elvis could have had that role had he stood up to Colonel.

  11. #31
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Why he did not do Star is Born depends on who you talk to. Some say Elvis did not really want to do it and he had the Col. make his demands so big that it stopped the deal. Others say the Col. thought it was not the right part for Elvis and so the Col stopped the deal. Whatever the reason its a shame he did not get a crack at it. Its a debate we've been through many times.

  12. #32
    International Level
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Why he did not do Star is Born depends on who you talk to. Some say Elvis did not really want to do it and he had the Col. make his demands so big that it stopped the deal. Others say the Col. thought it was not the right part for Elvis and so the Col stopped the deal. Whatever the reason its a shame he did not get a crack at it. Its a debate we've been through many times.
    Yes....but if Elvis wanted it, he could have had it.

  13. #33

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Everyone has their ups and downs in weight and because Elvis was known to take pills, every little accident or trip has to be attributed to it? Why the need for drama all the time???
    Don't confuse drama with the truth.

    A few sources have claimed that the "electrical cord" story is crap, and that Elvis fell over that time because he was so out of it.

    And if that is indeed the truth, get it out there, warts and all.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

  14. #34
    PeacockLady Diane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    11,636
    That's the thing Getlo...was it the truth or was someone just unhappy with him that day? Like I said before, a lot of people would rather think the worse then give him the benefit of the doubt.

    Diane

  15. #35
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryx View Post
    Yes....but if Elvis wanted it, he could have had it.
    Someone posted an interview with Col on a recent thread and Ted Koppel asked him if Elvis could have been a good actor. Parker went into a story about how producer Jerry Wald once brought the Col a script and he said this is perfect for Elvis-"Elvis will get an Oscar if he does this" Parker said "We dont go to the Oscars" and then he said "Wald could not meet our price because the script and story had cost so much" he wanted Wald to guarantee that Elvis would get the Oscar before he would think of cutting the price. So that was the end of that.
    Now if you want to see your client grow, wouldnt you say "f the script is good and it looks like a great part for my client I'll recommend he do it"
    and we'll take a cut? Parkers rule seems to have been- we get our price. He
    does not comment on if it would have been good for Elvis's growth as an actor, nor his creative juices-he just says he could not meet our price.
    He says in this interview no one told Elvis what to do- yet do we know how he explained these proposed roles and deals to Elvis? Now we can say Elvis should have just put his foot down and told Parker I want better roles but Elvis had relied on Parkers advise and council since 55. That why he was hired to set up deals get Elvis top dollar and screen offers from others.
    He was the veteran in Show Business and Elvis had to feel Parker knew best-IMO he didn't. IMO opinion he should have not been so penny pinching and so quick to rule out everything which did not result in immediate financial windfall.
    Many are hard on Elvis for not standing up to Parker-I am hard on Parker because he was the one who was suppose to be the management genius.
    He had the 10 years of managing others before Elvis. He was suppose to be able to size up people quickly and get a feeling on how to get the best deal.
    If thats so why could he not see Elvis needed to have these chances to keep him engaged as an artist? That once in a while it would be okay to recommend a job for less money to keep Elvis moving forward. Even the MM remark on how Parker had a huge influence and hold on Elvis.
    Lets face it the more dramatic roles made less money-Parker made that clear to Elvis. That was not encouraging him to grow IMO that was telling him in a round about way you can not make it as an actor. Positive reinforcement it was not by any stretch of my imagination.
    Others think Elvis should have just taken total control and handled all this with no one being the middle man on everything.
    Some artists feel comfortable and are able to do that-others can't. Elvis it would appear did not feel like he could.

  16. #36
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Don't confuse drama with the truth.

    A few sources have claimed that the "electrical cord" story is crap, and that Elvis fell over that time because he was so out of it.

    And if that is indeed the truth, get it out there, warts and all.


    Why get something "out there warts and all" if the "source" is unreliable?

    In my opinion, I don't understand the thinking of these "people" and yes, the "drama" and egos and money making intentions. Beyond me.

    These "people" there are names for them, and if they were any of our friends, we, as sensitive and hurt human beings, we know what we would be calling them (in my opinion).

  17. #37
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    That's the thing Getlo...was it the truth or was someone just unhappy with him that day? Like I said before, a lot of people would rather think the worse then give him the benefit of the doubt.

    Diane

    Well said, Diane. It sadly, in my opinion, comes down to the person's motives, who tells the stories, at the time.

    Kim

  18. #38

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Why get something "out there warts and all" if the "source" is unreliable?
    You've again made the assumption that anything said by the MM is therefore a lie. Which it usually isn't. (I presume that's who you're talking about here).

    There was more truth in What Happened and other revelations from these guys than many fans care to admit. The vast majority of what they've said about Elvis is true. Not all, certainly, but most.

    This particular story could be either though. However, if Elvis slipped over because he was stoned at the time, it wouldn't surprise me a bit.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

  19. #39
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    You've again made the assumption that anything said by the MM is therefore a lie. Which it usually isn't. (I presume that's who you're talking about here).

    There was more truth in What Happened and other revelations from these guys than many fans care to admit. The vast majority of what they've said about Elvis is true. Not all, certainly, but most.

    This particular story could be either though. However, if Elvis slipped over because he was stoned at the time, it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

    No assumptions on my part, I'm going on what I was told, from people who where around for years, who wish to stay anonymous. There are enough stories from them, which make sense, when you hear their side, and also reading the venom on AEK, to go with what makes sense.

    People with the negative stories are justifying themselves, why bother with the venom in their golden years? It is because they have motive. They are also full of venom for Elvis' friends who take the higher ground, as they contradict what they say (so affecting their "fan base" and book sales). I can only go on what makes sense, and what I'm told from people who where around Elvis for 15 odd years. They stay in the background, because they aren't into making money, just being good friends.

  20. #40

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    the venom on AEK
    What's the AEK?
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Clambake (1967)
    By Albert in forum Movies
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 03:49 AM
  2. Elvis lp clambake mono lp rare....
    By curtis simpkins in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 04:04 PM
  3. Chubby Elvis in Clambake
    By EP75 in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-22-2007, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •