Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: overwight Elvis in CLAMBAKE?

  1. #1
    Cadillac King GirlHappy19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Maui,Hawaii
    Posts
    336

    overwight Elvis in CLAMBAKE?

    I was watching CLAMBAKE lasnight one of my favorite movies made by Elvis and I noticed a mistake that probably alot of people never noticed---Elvis is driving and far away in the back you can see mountains___there're no mountains in Miami and neither in FT Laudardale-------Flat country.Also in that movie Elvis is overwight(still sooooooo gorgeous)but with extra pouns.You think he was hooked on pills already?I know that he had problems with his weight and he used to take pills to lose weight------was there a sign of what was ahead
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cap047b.jpg  
    "Man,I just work here"
    EP 1968 ComaBack

  2. #2
    International Level
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    506

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by GirlHappy19 View Post
    I was watching CLAMBAKE lasnight one of my favorite movies made by Elvis and I noticed a mistake that probably alot of people never noticed---Elvis is driving and far away in the back you can see mountains___there're no mountains in Miami and neither in FT Laudardale-------Flat country.Also in that movie Elvis is overwight(still sooooooo gorgeous)but with extra pouns.You think he was hooked on pills already?I know that he had problems with his weight and he used to take pills to lose weight------was there a sign of what was ahead

    Elvis had that infamous epsidoe just before Clambake started, where he fell and hit his head and then the Colonel told the Memphis Mafia off big time.

    He fell due to some stuff he had taken, so yes Elvis was using during Clambake.

  3. #3

    .

    Hate to burst your bubble, but the mountain thing was noticed years ago, and is mentioned in Elvis, His Life From A to Z. Also, the scene where he and Shelley are at the beach at sunset in Miami is wrong. The ocean is east of the city, so the sun would've had to have been rising, not setting.

    As for the weight, Elvis was much fatter in Spinout.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

  4. #4
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Dexidrine was Hollywood studios answer to actors who had weight problems. MGM had Judy Garland on them in her teens and it caught up with her in her 40s. But long term use was not considered a problem back then. In the 60s the problems of some of these drugs began to become better known. In the 30s so many new drugs were being found and some were "true miracles" others turned out to be the opposite.
    Did you know Coca Colas original secret ingredient was cocaine. Up until 1929 it was in the mix. But it was just another leaf with a unique flavor when they started making coca cola.

  5. #5
    International Level
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    506
    Yeah knew that.

    Elvis wasn't acting in the 30's and MGM were not advising him on what to take. The buck stops with Elvis in that regard.

  6. #6
    ksimms2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Homosassa, FL
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryx View Post
    Elvis had that infamous epsidoe just before Clambake started, where he fell and hit his head and then the Colonel told the Memphis Mafia off big time.

    He fell due to some stuff he had taken, so yes Elvis was using during Clambake.
    yes I just read this in "Revelations From The Memphis Mafia" and they said Elvis tried to pass it off as tripping over an electric cord or something but that he was wasted.....

  7. #7
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble, but the mountain thing was noticed years ago, and is mentioned in Elvis, His Life From A to Z. Also, the scene where he and Shelley are at the beach at sunset in Miami is wrong. The ocean is east of the city, so the sun would've had to have been rising, not setting.

    As for the weight, Elvis was much fatter in Spinout.
    I also always felt he was heaviest looking in Clambake. But its subjective opinion. If he was heavier in Spinout then the clothes he wore were much better at hiding it. When he sings Beach Shack in Spinout IMO hes much slimmer looking than when he sings Clambake in Clambake. I cringe every time the song Clambake ends and he throws his arms above his head-his stomach gets exposed and it looks pretty large. If I had been directing I would have reshot that scene and changed his wardrobe.
    Last edited by KPM; 09-28-2007 at 03:03 PM.

  8. #8
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryx View Post
    Yeah knew that.

    Elvis wasn't acting in the 30's and MGM were not advising him on what to take. The buck stops with Elvis in that regard.
    I was not saying they had-I was pointing out the fact that such "medicines" were not considered harmful well into the 60s. Elvis was not acting in the 30s thats very true and thank you for pointing it out-but he was living in the 50s into the 60s and many drugs and medicines were just not thought of as unsafe. If you misunderstood sorry.

  9. #9
    International Level
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by ksimms2 View Post
    yes I just read this in "Revelations From The Memphis Mafia" and they said Elvis tried to pass it off as tripping over an electric cord or something but that he was wasted.....
    That is correct.

    But Elvis was notorious for trying to pass it off as something else!

  10. #10
    Coming On Strong ms_epblvd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    AMERICA!!!
    Posts
    75

    Elvis Overweight and bloopers

    I dont think their is an elvis movie out there that we all can't spot a blooper. The goal was definately quantity and not quality.

    If Elvis was overweight in Clambake then what was the poor thing in Elvis in Concert? Elvis ALWAYS had a very full face, even when he was 2 years old. I dont think he was overweight at all. But you are right whether he was or wasnt, he was BEAUTIFUL
    She's a complicated lady so color my baby, Moody Blue

  11. #11
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Well I know to be scrutinized every single moment can not be easy. There is the upside of knowing you draw attention and most everyone wants attention-but the downside is we all have bad days, bad moments, we all age and most all have a "problem area" So if you are watched every step of your way-its got to be hard mentally. IMO

  12. #12
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,495
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Well I know to be scrutinized every single moment can not be easy. There is the upside of knowing you draw attention and most everyone wants attention-but the downside is we all have bad days, bad moments, we all age and most all have a "problem area" So if you are watched every step of your way-its got to be hard mentally. IMO


    True, KPM,


    Kim

  13. #13

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by MoodyBlue77 View Post
    If Elvis was overweight in Clambake then what was the poor thing in Elvis in Concert?
    Fat.

    Sorry, but it's true ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

  14. #14
    International Level
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Fat.

    Sorry, but it's true ...

    Yeah and Elvis remarked to people around him that he was not happy with his appearence. So no point in fans trying to hide it when Elvis was quite aware of it and communicated his feelings about it to others.

  15. #15
    TCB Mafia jak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    S.C. USA
    Posts
    2,125
    I dont know if i would call Elvis fat in that movie.Just a little chunkier than what he normally looked like.I would cut him a little slack for that.He was using drugs back then but I dont think he had lost control of the problem.He probably just gained a few pounds laying around.No big deal.
    Jak

  16. #16
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,039
    He was fatter in Paradise Hawaiian Style more than any other flick.

    He was not only over weight in "In Concert", but also very bloated, adding to an already sickly appearance.

  17. #17
    TCB Mafia Burning_Love's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England, uk
    Posts
    2,390
    From what i have seen, he looks bigger than usual, his belly and face, but he soon lost it for the 68 comeback eh !!

  18. #18
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryx View Post
    Yeah and Elvis remarked to people around him that he was not happy with his appearence. So no point in fans trying to hide it when Elvis was quite aware of it and communicated his feelings about it to others.
    How could anyone who at times looked like a "greek god" be happy with the change in appearance which happened to Elvis in 76 and 77?

  19. #19
    International Level
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    How could anyone who at times looked like a "greek god" be happy with the change in appearance which happened to Elvis in 76 and 77?
    I don't know I guess he found it difficult.

  20. #20
    International Level rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    891
    he was `chunky' in this movie and afew others at the time.
    I occasionally fall over something but it doesn't mean i'm `using'
    rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Clambake (1967)
    By Albert in forum Movies
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 03:49 AM
  2. Elvis lp clambake mono lp rare....
    By curtis simpkins in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 04:04 PM
  3. Chubby Elvis in Clambake
    By EP75 in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-22-2007, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •