Thread: Was "Elvis: That's the Way It Is" a good biography?

Coming On Strong

Was "Elvis: That's the Way It Is" a good biography?

I just bought the new 2 disc DVD set and was quite happy with it. It had lots of film clips from Elvis' life that I had never seen bfore, esp. from the 1950s. You also get a good look inside Graceland. I saw that the risque candid behind the scenes comments by EP were censored in the "extended" video version. I'm wondering what the Elvis fans on this forum thought of This is Elvis?
    Last edited by BrianK; 09-27-2007 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Wrong Title!

Coming On Strong

Meant to say "This is Elvis"

Sorry - bought both titles & got them mixed up - of course "That's the Way It Is" is the concert video. What I wanted to ask was - what did you think about the autobiographical video - This Is Elvis"?

I have both those dvd's and I love them.
    I loved "This Is Elvis" when it first came out, and was happy a DVD 2 disc set came out so that I could set aside the vhs. lol
    I enjoyed it, I espescially enjoyed the footage of Graceland the way it truly was b4 his passing....as for the footage your referring to, didn't shock me as I have the vhs for Elvis On Tour which is where that footage is from.

Coming On Strong

Upstairs at Graceland

The 2 best things about it are the achival footage of Elvis, which makes you feel you are there in real time, and the upstairs at Graceland footage, which, though part of a reenactment, shows how this mysterious upstairs really looked. Though nice by 1950s standards, Graceland today would be a bit small for a superstar like Elvis.

This Is Elvis Is The Best!!
    I did it my way.

Even though, This is Elvis, had some of the BS story of Elvis' life like, when was in HS he didn't sing in a class room, it was a stage. The whole Priscilla story just makes me sick. It's such a lie that I can't stand to watch it. Overall it Rocks, one of my favorite but I have yet to see a Rockumentory that told Elvis' like it was 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
    The 2 best things about it are the achival footage of Elvis, which makes you feel you are there in real time, and the upstairs at Graceland footage, which, though part of a reenactment, shows how this mysterious upstairs really looked. Though nice by 1950s standards, Graceland today would be a bit small for a superstar like Elvis.

This Is Elvis Elvis had bigger homes in CA.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Coming On Strong
    You are correct there - also had his own private jet! Would like to find some pics of Elvis' other homes.