Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No highway through Graceland - IT'S OFFICIAL

No highway through Graceland - IT'S OFFICIAL

Taking the advice from Lakeisha yesterday, I decided to do some research myself into the claim that there was once a plan to bulldoze Graceland and replace it with a highway.

Below is an email I just received from EPE themselves, via my inquiry to the Memphis Chamber of Commerce.

Some may think that myself, Suzan, King Creole etc are being petty when asking for proof of such outlandish claims. That is not the case. It's just that it's bloody frustrating when people post such claims without any evidence whatsoever to back it up ... and even more frustrating when people say they "read it on the internet".

So, here you go:

September 28, 2007:

Hello,

I have a minor question that I hope someone from the Memphis Chamber of Commerce can clear up for me.

When Graceland was opened to the public back in 1982, several "sources" have claimed that one of the reasons for this was to save the house from being bulldozed by the city as it wanted a highway to be built on the site of Elvis’ former house.

So, can you tell me: is there any truth to this? Was the idea of Graceland being bulldozed for a highway ever considered, even remotely?

Many thanks,

xxxxxxxxxx
    Sydney AUSTRALIA.

And the reply:

xxxxxxxxxx,

I can assure you that at no time was there a plan to bulldoze Graceland to make room for a highway. HWY 51 already ran in front of the home at the time of Elvis’ death in 1977 and continues to be a bustling thoroughfare here in Memphis, carrying thousands of cars each day.

Thanks for allowing us to clear up this misconception based on your "sources".

All my best,

Kevin Kern
    Elvis Presley Enterprises, Inc.
    Media Relations Manager
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Taking the advice from Lakeisha yesterday, I decided to do some research myself into the claim that there was once a plan to bulldoze Graceland and replace it with a highway.

Below is an email I just received from EPE themselves, via my inquiry to the Memphis Chamber of Commerce.

Some may think that myself, Suzan, King Creole etc are being petty when asking for proof of such outlandish claims. That is not the case. It's just that it's bloody frustrating when people post such claims without any evidence whatsoever to back it up ... and even more frustrating when people say they "read it on the internet".

So, here you go:

September 28, 2007:

Hello,

I have a minor question that I hope someone from the Memphis Chamber of Commerce can clear up for me.

When Graceland was opened to the public back in 1982, several "sources" have claimed that one of the reasons for this was to save the house from being bulldozed by the city as it wanted a highway to be built on the site of Elvis? former house.

So, can you tell me: is there any truth to this? Was the idea of Graceland being bulldozed for a highway ever considered, even remotely?

Many thanks,

xxxxxxxxxx
    Sydney AUSTRALIA.

And the reply:

xxxxxxxxxx,

I can assure you that at no time was there a plan to bulldoze Graceland to make room for a highway. HWY 51 already ran in front of the home at the time of Elvis? death in 1977 and continues to be a bustling thoroughfare here in Memphis, carrying thousands of cars each day.

Thanks for allowing us to clear up this misconception based on your "sources".

All my best,

Kevin Kern
    Elvis Presley Enterprises, Inc.
    Media Relations Manager
    Getlo,

Thank you for that Now, that's a proof

Marija

Thanks for taking the time to mail them and everything
    It sounds weird now that I think of it...destroying Elvis' house? Only over a few dead fan bodies...

Maybe you should have done a local research by Memphis library on stories actually written in the 80's instead of emailing the *****s at EPE who are known to lie to the fans to protect their own butts.

Of course they're gonna say this aint true....that's EPE.

But whatever.....believe what you want. You're goin to anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeisha View Post
    Maybe you should have done a local research by Memphis library on stories actually written in the 80's instead of emailing the *****s at EPE who are known to lie to the fans to protect their own butts.

Plus, Kevin Burns wasn't even with EPE back then so how would he know? Oh that's right....HE WAS TOLD TO SAY THAT.

Oh, give me a break ... just give it up, will you? You were wrong! Accept it!!

Why don't you take the time to post references from your sources ... or is that too much trouble?
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

I'm just gonna add....if anyone wants to know the truth about what went on with Graceland after Vernon died and before it opened and why....then next time you're in Memphis, go to the public library and do a research on it.

It'll be in the archives.

I'm just gonna add....if anyone wants to know the truth about what went on with Graceland after Vernon died and before it opened and why....then next time you're in Memphis, go the public library and do a research on it.

It'll be in the archives.

Post it HERE if you have it ... prove your case!

Like the man himself said, "It never ceases to amaze me, baby ..."
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

They won't do that to Graceland.......there are no doubts now.
    We have evidence.
    Just give up...yes..like Getlo said.
    Destroying Graceland is not a small thing.
    They wouldn't lie for that. If you know what i mean...

At the end.....The fans won't let them destroy it

Getlo, I'm not gonna argue with you and the only reason I responded was because you tried to make me out to be a liar and personally targeted me in your original post.

But I am gonna defend myself and stand behind what I have personally read and heard from others in this town that you or anyone else on here hasn't because you don;t live here to know what goes on or what did go on here.

Plus, your email to them didn't even mention the fact that the city wanted to buy it. You never mentioned the fact that the plan was to build a interstate connection from Memphis International to EPB, which is HW51 and this was why the city wanted the land.

So you can believe EPE, a company who don't give a **************** about the fans views, and continue to believe that their word is the holy grail. But if you really wanna know the facts, then do the research the next time you're in town to worship Elvis, then you will see I'm right.

Quote Originally Posted by marijaep View Post
    They won't do that to Graceland.......there are no doubts now.
    We have evidence.
    Just give up...yes..like Getlo said.
    Destroying Graceland is not a small thing.
    They wouldn't lie for that. If you know what i mean...

At the end.....The fans won't let them destroy it
    No, not now, since it's a national landmark. But back before it ever opened to the public and had struggles financially to keep it up....it was in jeopardy and that was what I said all along.

Had Cilla never opened it....then it probably wouldn't be here today. That's just a fact.

But if you really wanna know the facts, then do the research the next time you're in town to worship Elvis, then you will see I'm right.

Fine. We'll all just wait around until I save up enough money in a few years to go back there.

Or ... you could put your money where your mouth is, drive the short distance to the Chamber yourself, type up the info (or find an internet link) and post it on here.

And I did not call you a liar: I included you in a select group of people who post claims on here without references ... a book ... a net link ... anything.

Is anyone else on here just completely bewildered by this response ... or is it just me?

And let me be clear here. I am perfectly prepared to be corrected on this - or any - issue. It's just that I fail to see the logic in you asking me to do the research to prove your side of this debate!
    Last edited by Getlo; 09-27-2007 at 12:41 PM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Boy - I didn't bother reading her post all the way through - not after reading basically this: "I was told by an anom" ..etc.

But wasn't there a link sometime ago to YouTube, which was a news report about the City Council wanting to buy Graceland and open it up as a museum -- they did know that it would be a cash cow.

And isn't it funny that some people here would belive politicians but not EPE - heck, I would rather put my faith in EPE than any politicians!

By the way, thanks for clearing this up Getlo

Thanks, Getlo for taking the time to ask and post it on here!
    I never thought a highway would be in place of Graceland...

I don't think anymore proof is needed!

franny

well since Getlo is only one providing proof Lakeisha, we have to believe him. By all means, please post your proof via article, link or whatever and show your side.....since you live there (lucky you, by the way) should be easy for you I'd think.....? Interesting debate we got going here.

Getlo has proof straight from EPE, I think that says it all!

I am open to other proof, if there is any...

franny

Quote Originally Posted by franny View Post
    Getlo has proof straight from EPE, I think that says it all!

I am open to other proof, if there is any...

franny
    Yes Franny,

me too

I just asked my source, my friend who has ties to a city council member and he told me that he would check into this and get back with me.

For what it's worth, he said he didn't know of any highway plans to include tearing down Graceland.

Well, isn't the internet a great thing? I suppose I've contradicted myself here, but I ended up doing Lakeisha's work for her ... and contacted the Memphis Library myself. Now, I hope the question I asked here was clear and unambigious enough.
    Or perhaps I should get on a plane to Memphis, check the records myself, make copies, photograph them fly back to Australia, then post what I have seen, then get the records verified by a notary public ... etc
    I am just blown away by this whole thing. Let this be an end to the matter once and for all.

September 28, 2007:

Hello,
    I am hoping you can help me with a small question.
    Do you have any records in your achives that support the claim that the city of Memphis ever considered demolishing Graceland sometime in 1982 or thereabouts to make way for a highway?
    This would've happened around the time the house was open to the public, and some sources make this claim. I have already received a response from Elvis Presley Enterprises in the negative, but I need a response from the horses mouth as it were.
    Apparently, this may be listed under "Graceland Highway Project" or something like that in your archives.
    Or the suggestion may have been made at a council meeting or something.
    Thank you for your help in advance.
    xxxxxxxxxx,
    Sydney AUSTRALIA.

And the reply: (there was no name attached to this email from MemphisPublicLibraryAskAQuestionService but the email reference given was [email protected]).

Mr. xxxxxxxxxx:
    Thank you for your question. We have searched our Memphis Information File but did not find reference to any plans to demolish Graceland nor did we find any information regarding a proposed highway for the Whitehaven area.
    According to our file, thousands of tourists poured into the city to visit the home in August 1977 and they have been coming ever since.
    The file suggests that the city was aware in the years following 1977 of the impact Graceland had on local tourism and it is doubtful that there was ever a serious discussion about tearing the home down, even if they could have mustered the political will to try.
    We hope this answers your question and please let us know if we can be of further service.
    (Transferred from Unassigned to History Reference.)
    Last edited by Getlo; 09-27-2007 at 05:19 PM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Sorry Lakeisha, I have trouble believing that Memphis ever considered bulldozing Graceland as you can imagine not just the US but the whole world would have come down on the city for an action like that.

Diane

TCB Mafia
    Folks, no trying to call anyone out here (), but Lakeisha and her good buddy have been called out many times on other message boards to provide proof to the unbelievably outlandish claims they make and they have failed to do so 100% of the time. Take it for what it is worth. Like I said before, I just let them do the talking and you can judge for yourself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast