Page 1 of 16 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Let us be candid and honest. What are the Elvis traits you don't like?

Exclamation Let us be candid and honest. What are the Elvis traits you don't like?

I know we all love and respect Elvis, but certainly without being bias as fan we find some traits of him we don't like. Some of those I personally dislike is his being too trustworthy, too obedient and sometimes carefree. These traits I believe somehow became his weaknesses that was easily exploited by some opportunist people around him like Col. Tom Parker , close friends and even relatives.

I don't blame him for it, but this over-generosity was one of his weaknesses. You're right about that.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

I'd say the fact that he thought everything was fun and games and rarely took things serious. I don't like the fact that he was a womanizer and cheated on his wife and every girlfriend he had.

But lord do I love that man.....so really nothing anyone can say will make me feel any different...but I love this thread....good one....be prepared for the negative people though for posting anything not so great about Elvis.

In no particular order ...

1. Sexism ... his attitudes to women and their place was very backward. He wanted his little women in their home.

2. Immaturity ... the fact that he couldn't / wouldn't get rid of most of the hangers on, and stayed with that "good ole boy" persona. He had so much potential (intellectually speaking) but never pursued it. Also, little things like refusing to watch cop show The Streets of San Francsisco all because the lead character (played by Karl Malden) was called Mike Stone. That's just stupid and childish.

3. Ego ... the unhealthy side of it anyway. He loved having people around him who would do his bidding (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) and hated it when people defied him.

4. Hypocrisy ... especially about the drugs. "Hey, I'm no addict. It's not as if I take street drugs" etc. Also, sleeping with other friends' girlfriends when I'm sure he'd have hated that happening to him.

5. Laziness ... musically speaking, and career-wise. The 60s movie rut. Then the 70s concert rut. His unwillingness to truly stretch himself to see what he could do.

Aside from all that ... he was a top bloke!

And let's not turn this thread into War & Peace regarding the possible reasons behind what I've listed above, and what other people will surely post (they've been discussed ad infinitum on other threads). This thread is asking us what we don't like about the man, that's all.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Loving elvis
    I really don't like the fact elvis cheated on eveyone and the pills l don't like either, but heck it was elvis presley,what can you say...

Principally for me it would be his lack of being able to grow up. I think had he been able to, a lot of the other problems he had would have been more controlled and some non-existent as in possibly the drugs, putting the colonel in his place and not needing the MM around.

The womanizing of course and I don't think anything would have changed that unfortunately.

Diane

crazy, sick and weird

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    In no particular order ...

1. Sexism ... his attitudes to women and their place was very backward. He wanted his little women in their home.
    Well, I've always felt him to be all the more respectable because of this. I couldn't agree with him more on this subject, even though I'm gay.

Political correctness is always spineless and without integrity.

In a lot of cases immaturity is part of being a genius. Mozart had this too, but I don't think it's impossible for gifted people to grow in a human context, though some will continue to say you're crazy, sick and weird.
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 09-25-2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: minor error
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticSun View Post
    Seixsm: Well, I've always felt him to be all the more respectable because of this. I couldn't agree with him more on this subject, even though I'm gay.
    So, like Elvis, you believe a woman's place is in the home, and that the woman in a relationship should be denied the freedom of a career or other outlets in deference to her husband?

And that womens' liberation was / is an affront to male superiority?

Because that's what The King believed, like it or not.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Please stick to the subject and do not bring your personal statements into this EnigmaticSun.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Women have the unique biological tendency to form a symbiotic bond with their unborn children. The mother is very important to a child.

I'm not even saying every woman should have a child and no career: what I do think is that women, when they've made a choice for children, have a sacred responsibility.

Yes, I do think "women's rights" are completely blown-up and not really helping the females, who are not made to be mean and vicious (neither are men). The "strong" women have proved to be complete *****es and I can tell, having grown up during the second feminist wave - and in this respect I'm not pointing at real strong women like Mother Mary.

Women's power has always been great. They can kill a man or lead him to his grave and then go on unnoticed with their supposed innocence. And I know some women have consequently tried to bully young boys purely out of categorical hate. Never again, please!

Marriage is rather oppression of the man than oppression of the female: "if you don't do as I say you're not allowed to .... tonight"..

But in all honesty, my view on women is a sacred one.

alternative

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Please stick to the subject and do not bring your personal statements into this EnigmaticSun.
    They asked for it. Is there an alternative? I only got to read this comment after reading your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Principally for me it would be his lack of being able to grow up. I think had he been able to, a lot of the other problems he had would have been more controlled and some non-existent as in possibly the drugs, putting the colonel in his place and not needing the MM around.

The womanizing of course and I don't think anything would have changed that unfortunately.

Diane
    Diane, you said this rather well. His lack of being able to grow up. Everything I'm reading about him both from Jerry's book and also from Revelations of the Memphis Mafia talks about this....he was always wanting to mess around, like an overgrown kid. Everything was fun and games...close the theater down (or go after closing) and stay all night - go to the skating rink - rent it out for just him and his friends and stay all night and play these dangerous games of "whip" where people, including females actually get hurt....rent out the amusement park for all nighters....racing each other on motorcycles so fast that they wreck, messing around on his tractor and it almost overturned on him.....just childish stuff. Not too mention his wanting to bed every woman he can get hold of....this is also talked about in both books....it's no wonder alot of these rumors are started by these women.

oops....sorry...I get carried away.....forgive me. I was just agreeing with what you said Diane.

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticSun View Post
    They asked for it. Is there an alternative? I only got to read this comment after reading your post.
    I think he means your personal statement....??

wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by ksimms2 View Post
    I think he means your personal statement....??
    I was trying to prove the point why I think Elvis wasn't completely wrong on this subject. I don't think it's crazy or unethical to consider Elvis' opinions, but they can't stand anything here.

Anyway, I don't think Elvis' problem was not having grown up. The problem might have been doing dangerous things, but you can be childish without taking unnecessary risks, I think.

I disagree. I think he never really had much supervision even growing up....his mom smothered him, but let's face it, he was spoiled. So I think he was used to doing pretty much what he wanted because at this point, his parents depended on him...so what are they going to do - tell him no? He liked to have a good time with the MM and whoever else was around. Not that there is anything wrong with it - but he just took it too far alot from what I can tell.

I have to agree on that.. I really don't like the MM.. I just meant to say you can have fun and act "childish" without doing irresponsible or dangerous things.

He missed his mother, though it's not to justify anything. Like I've said before, if you think EP was terrible, you ain't seen nothing in this world, LOL!

His faults are many and everyone has pretty much listed them.
    But as far as messing around such as renting the theaters,and riding the motorcycles, etc....if I could afford to live like that I would. I mean to me theres nothing wrong with having fun and Elvis surely was able to afford it.
    IMO Some people live to work, but most of us have no choice- you have to pay your way. He could afford to goof off if he wanted and pay for others to goof off with him. Other people want to always be doing something constructive and thats fine also.

Guys, remember the times, in Elvis' era, many men and women believed that women should be at home, raising a family. Also, I don't agree with the laziness trait, the man worked and supported his family since he was 18 until the day he died, whether it be crown electric, to touring in the mid-fifties, to making movies, to touring again in the seventies. He never took a year or two off, he always kept busy, not to mention having to cut 3 albums a year, nowadays artists cut one album every couple of years. People often mistake depression with the perception of laziness, huge difference.

I must admit I like his sunny, childlike traits. He just remained young at heart and mind . About the womanizing....I don't believe that he tried to bed all these 1000 women, no I am not naive , I just don't think he was that kind of man, although everybody pictures him like a ladykiller . I wonder if he would have acted different if he had been with a woman he really loved? I am still under the influence of June Juanico's and Elvis lovestory and according to her Elvis wanted her to be always and everywhere with him...

Elvis' traits I don't like are his blind mischief bringing trust in Colonel Parker and his disability to realize what a great harm and suffering he caused to himself.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    His faults are many and everyone has pretty much listed them.
    But as far as messing around such as renting the theaters,and riding the motorcycles, etc....if I could afford to live like that I would. I mean to me theres nothing wrong with having fun and Elvis surely was able to afford it.
    IMO Some people live to work, but most of us have no choice- you have to pay your way. He could afford to goof off if he wanted and pay for others to goof off with him. Other people want to always be doing something constructive and thats fine also.
    KPM, I was just going to say.....he had the money to do it.....so no harm, no foul. Hell, I'd do it too if I could afford to I guess...well maybe not to his extreme, but you know what I mean.

Page 1 of 16 1234567811 ... LastLast