Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Elvis comitted suicide by slowly killing himself?

Exclamation Did Elvis comitted suicide by slowly killing himself?

There were a lot of speculations why Elvis became addicted to drugs. Did he intentionally indulged in this tragic situation out of depression and lost the will to live? What could have driven such an important personality of the century to lost control and eventually end up dead? Does the people around him share the guilt for his unfortunate self destruction?

Ricardo, this is tough but I would have to say that we all slowly kill ourselves in one form or another whether it be by drugs, alcohol, nicotine, food and even by attitude or the way we choose to live. I believe negative emotions can do a lot of damage to one's health.

Diane

Short answer: NO.

Elvis loved life, and had he known what was coming on August 16, 1977, he would've changed his ways.

Yes, the drugs ultimately killed him (via heart attack) but he was not suicidal in the least.

Elvis Presley had no death wish.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Loving elvis
    I don't really think he wanted to die, but slowey the pills started to kill him. You abuse the body and your body will give up sooner then later.

I don't think so, but in reality only he could say if he gave up or not and its too late to ask him .

I'm pretty sure we just discussed this not long ago on a similar thread.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I'm pretty sure we just discussed this not long ago on a similar thread.
    we sure did and it got ugly at times too......yes the pills killed him....you can't take as much as he did and it not catch up with you.....I think the side effects also had a part in it....the bloated look, him retaining fluids, which is very hard on the heart.

Did he want to kill himself? No, I don't believe so. I think he was a little lost for a while - after his divorce - when he started questioning his role in it. I think he thought he and Cilla would get back together some day....I think he was upset about the way he looked, gaining alot of weight, etc. He seemed to be rethinking his life - perhaps that is why he fired some of his MM.....

Guess we'll never know 100%

Quote Originally Posted by ksimms2 View Post
    we sure did and it got ugly at times too......yes the pills killed him....you can't take as much as he did and it not catch up with you.....I think the side effects also had a part in it....the bloated look, him retaining fluids, which is very hard on the heart.

Did he want to kill himself? No, I don't believe so. I think he was a little lost for a while - after his divorce - when he started questioning his role in it. I think he thought he and Cilla would get back together some day....I think he was upset about the way he looked, gaining alot of weight, etc. He seemed to be rethinking his life - perhaps that is why he fired some of his MM.....

Guess we'll never know 100%
    I dont feel from all I have read that the pill killed him "directly" that night
    (others do and its been debated to death)-"but the collective use of 20 years did". It just wore him down in so many ways.

I think Elvis wanted to live, even at the end but I do believe he was tired and feeling terrible.

I agree with KPM that it was the collective use of drugs over 20 years that caused his body to give out and not "direct use".

Diane

Suicide is someone who tries to kill oneself, intentionally! Elvis, didnt' do this and he thought all those pills were okay to take, but it took its' toll over the years', his system couldn't take no more...I believe he wanted to live...

franny

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    Elvis did not commit suicide but he knew that the end was near in 77. Never before did he ever admit that he could not play the guitar and he never said until we meet again adios. Elvis was too religious to commit suicide.
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

Related question would be, if the people around him did contributes in a way to his deterioration? Particularly his personal doctor and body guards what kind of role did they played concerning Elvis drug addition.

All of them were enablers Ricardo, every single one.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by SeeSeeRider777 View Post
    Elvis did not commit suicide but he knew that the end was near in 77. Never before did he ever admit that he could not play the guitar and he never said until we meet again adios. Elvis was too religious to commit suicide.

Elvis had no clue whatsoever that the "end was near" in '77...that's a silly statement to make because none of us know when we're going to leave this Earth.

He only made the admittance that he couldn't play the guitar just as a silly remark because people thought he really couldn't play the guitar.

I do agree that Elvis wouldn't have deliberately killed himself, though.

At least he knew three chords!
    I don't believe he intentionally committed suicide, especially with Lisa at Graceland.
    However, he was no doubt nervous before the tour (following the release of What Happened?) and like before the June 19, 1977 TV concert he probably took more tablets than usual to calm his nerves etc.
    Sadly the years of using a variety of pills, poor diet, hereditary health problems and the constant pressure of being Elvis and touring took their toll
    rick

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Elvis had no clue whatsoever that the "end was near" in '77...that's a silly statement to make because none of us know when we're going to leave this Earth.

He only made the admittance that he couldn't play the guitar just as a silly remark because people thought he really couldn't play the guitar.

I do agree that Elvis wouldn't have deliberately killed himself, though.
    I disagree with you there some people know when they are about to die. In my family my grandmother said to me I wish I could be around to see you graduate, I told her nana what do you mean and she told me I'm not going to live long and a week later she had a massive heart attack. She was 82 years old.
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I dont feel from all I have read that the pill killed him "directly" that night
    (others do and its been debated to death)-"but the collective use of 20 years did". It just wore him down in so many ways.
    yes KPM that's what I meant....I didn't mean he died from an overdose - just from the abuse he's put his body through - finally caught up with him. Whether it caused him a massive heart attack - or whatever Getlo says he died from....I believe it's from years of abusing his body.

I'm really surprised it took 20 years for it to kill him. Its a miracle he did not die sooner.

Coming On Strong

Not a suicide, but an overdose

Elvis did not commit suicide - that would imply intent. I feel that he did die from a long term overdose of drugs, for which both Elvis and the people around him were responsible. Elvis could have broken away from his drug use & his enablers if he had had his 'moment of truth' earlier on, and known what was happening, but sometime during the 70s things reached a tipping point, the downhill slide began, and the almost inevitable bitter end loomed on the horizon.

I kno some of you will come after me for saying this but, is essence, Elvis DID kill himself.

You mean to tell me, Elvis wasn't smart enough to know the repercussion of what pills, drugs, whatever, wouldn't catch up to him and do him harm ???

Please people, let's be realistic and cut the crap ...

No, Elvis would never conceive of doing himself in intentionally, (be objective here), but still, he musta thought at some point, especially in his later years, this will, sooner or later, eventually kill me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast