Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: what do you think would of happend to graceland if Memphis took control of it??

Loving elvis

what do you think would of happend to graceland if Memphis took control of it??

Whats your thoughts??

As I satted in another thread:

Cilla's idea to open Graceland in 1982 was a fine one. But the main reason she gave - ie, if we don't open up the house, it will be lost forever - simply doesn't add up.

If the city of Memphis did adopt the house (instead of making it into a proper tourist attraction) then it would be quietly maintained, in a similar way to other historic houses across the US. There was already enough money floating around from record sales etc to have maintained Graceland, at least as an historic site.

I've also been saying for a few years now (and I'm sure this may offend some people) that I think Graceland should eventually close to the public, and let Elvis rest in proper peace. From a money standpoint, EPE, Cilla and Lisa have made enough money to last 100 lifetimes. So I say, close it to visitors in a few years: give fans plenty of warning.

This proposed new whizz-bang Graceland visitors centre would be enough to keep fans happy. Yes, I know it would seem strange going to Memphis without going through the actual house, but enough will be enough one day, and Elvis' proper dignity needs to be returned.

But now with Bob "BS" Sillerman and his money-grubbing cohorts, the concept of Graceland as a proper resting place for Elvis has gone forever.

Visiting Graceland is a privilege for Elvis' fans. But many see it as their right, which it most certainly isn't. We have no right to expect it to be around forever.

And personally, I think Elvis would literally vomit at what his beloved house has become in the past couple of years.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Loving elvis
    I think Its great fans get a chance to see graceland. Elvis loved his home why not share it with people who loved him? I don't think we would of gotten a chance to see inside graceland or see elvis toys if Memphis took over. I think it would become lost, cause there wasn't much money left to keep it running if it wasn't open to the public.

Or, at the very least, close down the gravesite to the public - with the possible exception for the Candlelight Vigil every August. And even this is becoming more and more of a circus with each passing year.

Let Elvis rest truly in peace.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    I think it would become lost, cause there wasn't much money left to keep it running if it wasn't open to the public.
    That's my point. There was enough money to maintain the house as an historic site.

If Cilla's intention to open Graceland was to save it from "going under", then that mission was accomplished years ago.

And remember, Elvis shared his house with people whom he invited there.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

I guess if Memphis owned Elvis' house they'd try to make as much money as they could...the attraction of this place must speed up the city economy a little
    Honestly I think they should close this house to the public...I find all the fuzz around Graceland a bit morbid in fact, same thing about Elvis' grave. Maybe visiting the town is ok, but I wouldn't feel comfortable in such places. Anyone else feels the same?

Rover, have you ever been to Graceland? I have in June - only once so far, but I can't wait to go back. I can understand where Getlo is coming from though....but I'd hate to see them close his house to his fans....

No I never went here. And I'm not sure I want to go to Graceland. Well, I think I'd love to see the house and the town but not *enter* it. Call me a weirdo but I wouldn't like that ^^
    When you went to Graceland, you felt at your ease all the time?

yes I did....it felt almost like he was there....I guess from being in the house and seeing all his things - even though you can't touch....but it was even better when I went back at the end of the day and got to see stuff without the crowds. Now that was incredible, walking through the house again, with nobody bothering me....through the jungle room, etc. It was amazing.....I'd love to go back.....and will eventually...save up some more $$ because when I go - I like to buy stuff.....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    As I satted in another thread:

Cilla's idea to open Graceland in 1982 was a fine one. But the main reason she gave - ie, if we don't open up the house, it will be lost forever - simply doesn't add up.

If the city of Memphis did adopt the house (instead of making it into a proper tourist attraction) then it would be quietly maintained, in a similar way to other historic houses across the US.
    I agree with your statements 100%.
    It would be lost to her (as if many of us cared) and it would be maintained like any other historic house wich i find would be more respectful.

I agree with Getlo and Donut. As much as I would love to see the inside of Graceland, I'd rather it was just maintained as a historical site with respect to Elvis as opposed to the money maker it is now.

Diane

I guess many of you have no idea that back in 1980 the city wanted to buy the home and bulldoze it to run a new massive highway expansion through that area. Priscilla saved it by pitching the idea to the city that opening Graceland to the public as a national tourist attraction would bring in money to the city that they hadn't seen in a while and the city needed it at the time. Just as the city need these upcoming changes to improve their struggling economy. This along with the fact that Lisa had nothing to fall back on from her dad's life or the money. So the financial problems would be settled with what EPE could make off of tours. The estate didn't even have the money back then to purchase the land to the north of the mansion as they have today and had to settle for turning the strip mall into the plaza.

These were the only real reasons why the mansion was opened to the public back in 1982 at a cost of $5 million for operation.
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    I guess many of you have no idea that back in 1980 the city wanted to buy the home and bulldoze it to run a new massive highway expansion through that area. Priscilla saved it by pitching the idea to the city that opening Graceland to the public as a national tourist attraction would bring in money to the city that they hadn't seen in a while and the city needed it at the time. Just as the city need these upcoming changes to improve their struggling economy. This along with the fact that Lisa had nothing to fall back on from her dad's life or the money. So the financial problems would be settled with what EPE could make off of tours. The estate didn't even have the money back then to purchase the land to the north of the mansion as they have today and had to settle for turning the strip mall into the plaza.

These were the only real reasons why the mansion was opened to the public back in 1982 at a cost of $5 million for operation.
    I?m not going to argue with you because i can see you are fixated with your EPE and Graceland expansion wonder and you are free to do it really but your statement about Memphis wanting to buldoze the house of one of their worldwide known legendary residents is more than impossible. Do you think they were drooling toodlers or what?

Loving elvis

I agree with you on this one. Lisa wouldn't of seen a single cent since elvis had hardy no money. I'am glad it was open to the public cause l for want to see it.

As I stated in another thread:

If the city of Memphis did adopt the house (instead of making it into a proper tourist attraction) then it would be quietly maintained, in a similar way to other historic houses across the US. There was already enough money floating around from record sales etc to have maintained Graceland, at least as an historic site.

I've also been saying for a few years now (and I'm sure this may offend some people) that I think Graceland should eventually close to the public, and let Elvis rest in proper peace. From a money standpoint, EPE, Cilla and Lisa have made enough money to last 100 lifetimes. So I say, close it to visitors in a few years: give fans plenty of warning.

This proposed new whizz-bang Graceland visitors centre would be enough to keep fans happy. Yes, I know it would seem strange going to Memphis without going through the actual house, but enough will be enough one day, and Elvis' proper dignity needs to be returned.

But now with Bob "BS" Sillerman and his money-grubbing cohorts, the concept of Graceland as a proper resting place for Elvis has gone forever.

Visiting Graceland is a privilege for Elvis' fans. But many see it as their right, which it most certainly isn't. We have no right to expect it to be around forever.

And personally, I think Elvis would literally vomit at what his beloved house has become in the past couple of years.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

Or, at the very least, close down the gravesite to the public - with the possible exception for the Candlelight Vigil every August. And even this is becoming more and more of a circus with each passing year.

100% spot on with this post.

Where in the world did you get that information from? I've never heard of the reason for her opening the mansion was the possibility of Graceland being bulldozed...that's crazy!!

The city wanted the land for a new expanded highway. Simple as that.
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

Loving elvis

Why shouldn't people be allowed to show there respect with candles at elvis grave?? I would love to be part of that anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    Why shouldn't people be allowed to show there respect with candles at elvis grave?? I would love to be part of that anyday.
    Yes, if Elvis was buried in a public cemetery like, say, JFK.

But Elvis is buried in his former home. The older I get, the more undignified I think it is to have people traipsing past his grave each and every day.

A memorial garden as part of this hideous new Graceland expansion would be appropriate.

But let the man rest in peace.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

I have to say that I think Elvis would be honored that so many of his fans want to pay their respects at his grave. He loved his fans, and he loved being "THE KING" and having fans who loved him. I think he would be happy to still be remembered, and loved by so many.
    Let's face it, he IS resting in peace. Nothing we can do about that, tho I sure would have if I could have, back in '77. And he would be at a cemetery --was originally -- till they were afraid he would be dug up, or the grave molested, which is why he is now at graceland--not to keep people from paying respects at his grave.
    And, If I am not mistaken, I remember the deal about the city wanting to put a highway thru where his home is. Better to have it this way than not to have it. Just my opinion.

So, I guess the reason why Cilla opened Graceland to the public in 1982 is because Memphis was going to bulldoze Elvis' home down ...

When does this absurdity end ?

Please, give us some more insight and help us along with your insightful and informative knowledge EP75 ...

What source/s do you greatfully bring this (ridiculous news) to the forefront of the Elvis world ... ?

I have one guess ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast