Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what do you think would of happend to graceland if Memphis took control of it??

Mad Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    I agree with you on this one. Lisa wouldn't of seen a single cent since elvis had hardy no money. I'am glad it was open to the public cause l for want to see it.
    I think it is wonderful that Graceland is open to the pubic and I think it is important that it remain open for the future generations of Elvis fans. One of my dear friends who is a big Elvis fan has been to Graceland 6 times so far. It is so important for him to pay his respects and to participate in Elvis week. I believe Elvis would not mind at all that his home has become such a tourist attraction. I believe he would be so touched that so many care so much.

MissyM
    He left Graceland to family. Why? He did not leave it to Pricilla to make an amusement park out of. He meant for it to stay with family. It was their home for years. There we gates on there to keep fans out. He did not like fans who over-stepped his space. Yes, he invited many into his space but that is entirely different. I see both sides because I know how much it means to the fans. But I will never say that he would have wanted it. I bet the place is haunted with more than one ghost!

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by MissyM View Post
    He left Graceland to family. Why? He did not leave it to Pricilla to make an amusement park out of. He meant for it to stay with family. It was their home for years. There we gates on there to keep fans out. He did not like fans who over-stepped his space. Yes, he invited many into his space but that is entirely different. I see both sides because I know how much it means to the fans. But I will never say that he would have wanted it. I bet the place is haunted with more than one ghost!
    Priscilla didn't make it out to be a amusement park, She opened it to save her daughter invest from elvis. If it wasn't for priscilla there could of been a highway through elvis graceland.

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    I think it is wonderful that Graceland is open to the pubic and I think it is important that it remain open for the future generations of Elvis fans. One of my dear friends who is a big Elvis fan has been to Graceland 6 times so far. It is so important for him to pay his respects and to participate in Elvis week. I believe Elvis would not mind at all that his home has become such a tourist attraction. I believe he would be so touched that so many care so much.
    well said natalie

If it wasn't for priscilla there could of been a highway through elvis graceland.
    Again, this is another "fact" going around the Elvis world with no proof. Why on earth would Memphis have been stupid enough to put a higway through Graceland? EP75 / Lakeisha has yet to respond to others on here with how and why he came to post this "theory" on here.

And not to say I was across everything back then, but as a teenager in 1982, I kept up with every single thing about Elvis and the Graceland opening, and not once did I read about this.

presley31, do not believe everything you read, nor every post from someone who supposedly has "inside information" directly from the people at Graceland.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Again, this is another "fact" going around the Elvis world with no proof. Why on earth would Memphis have been stupid enough to put a higway through Graceland? EP75 / Lakeisha has yet to respond to others on here with how and why he came to post this "theory" on here.

And not to say I was across everything back then, but as a teenager in 1982, I kept up with every single thing about Elvis and the Graceland opening, and not once did I read about this.

presley31, do not believe everything you read, nor every post from someone who supposedly has "inside information" directly from the people at Graceland.
    You don't like what l post don't read and answer it, its as simple as that!!!!!

You don't like what l post don't read and answer it, its as simple as that!!!!!
    Perhaps you could apply this sound advice to yourself?

Yet again, presley31, you cannot distinguish between someone not liking something you said and someone simply disagreeing with what you have posted.

You are hands down the most aggressive poster on here when someone disagrees with you, or asks you to expand your ideas beyond a single sentence. You get very uptight if someone says something you disgaree with; then when someone else offers up an expanded version of what you'd like to say, all you do is post "Well said (insert name here)".

Believe me, if I disliked one of your posts, you'd soon know it (see my response yesterday to EngimaticSun's dusgusting post re Jesus and his own sex life ...)

The fact is, we're all waiting for EP75 / Lakeisha to tell us where he heard or read that a highway was to be built through Graceland ... and I'd be interested to know where you heard that yourself and why you say it's true.

But, of course, I do not expect a response beyond the usual ...

Have a good day.

(We really should take this over to the Colonel management thread ...)
    Last edited by Getlo; 09-26-2007 at 10:47 AM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

International Level

Well said! A Highway through Graceland belongs with those who say the King is set to be dug up to prove he's dead/alive!

Some people...!

Loving elvis
    I didn't say it was true, but have read that else too. We will never know the real reason besides money problems as to why graceland was opened.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryx View Post
    Well said! A Highway through Graceland belongs with those who say the King is set to be dug up to prove he's dead/alive!

Some people...!
    Ah, another voice of reason!

And a belated welcome to the forum ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

MissyM
    Pricilla did that to turn it into a multi-million dollar inheritance. There was enough in that house that all/or most contents and personal effects could have been sold to keep the house(itself) for a long while. And then any of the proceeds would have gone into her trust. Then that money could have been invested. Just now the original piano is being sold. It was in the basement because Pricilla bought Elvis a new one. Lisa ownes that, why sell it now? Do you know what Elvis stuff goes for at an auction? There were ways, don't be fooled. It isn't as if Lisa wanted to keep it to live in it. Why not just sell it? That's what they did with the other homes?? Oh and what happened to that money?? That story that Pricilla made sure got out there about them owing back taxes and they had no other choice is a bunch of bulloney!
    Oh and look at the timing of it all. Nothing could be done till Grandma died. Technically she owned a portion of that home till she died.

Perhaps you could apply this sound advice to yourself?

Yet again, presley31, you cannot distinguish between someone not liking something you said and someone simply disagreeing with what you have posted.

You are hands down the most aggressive poster on here when someone disagrees with you, or asks you to expand your ideas beyond a single sentence. You get very uptight if someone says something you disgaree with; then when someone else offers up an expanded version of what you'd like to say, all you do is post "Well said (insert name here)".

Believe me, if I disliked one of your posts, you'd soon know it (see my response yesterday to EngimaticSun's dusgusting post re Jesus and his own sex life ...)

The fact is, we're all waiting for EP75 / Lakeisha to tell us where he heard or read that a highway was to be built through Graceland ... and I'd be interested to know where you heard that yourself and why you say it's true.

But, of course, I do not expect a response beyond the usual ...

Have a good day.

(We really should take this over to the Colonel management thread ...)
    Excuse me, but why was my name dragged into this?

But since you included me into this....I'll give my personal view and knowledge on this subject.

You say you kept up with everything concernin Graceland back then, but truth of the matter is unless you lived in Memphis back in 82, before I was born, you couldn't possibly known everything that was reported by our local media.

The internet wasn't known to exist back then. So how could you keep up with everything written or spoken abut Graceland or Elvis? There's no way.

Jay and the other person who said that about the city wantin to buy it aint lyin. There's nothin false about what they said. It's true it was ind anger of demolition.

I don't know the exact facts, but it's been mentioned around here before about how Graceland was almost bought by the city, until Cilla saved it and opened it to the public.

From what I''ve heard.....there was supposed to be a major interstate/highway connecting from Memphis International Airport across to EPB and Graceland was supposedly in the way of it.

But because Graceland wasn't bought by the city and opened to the public.....it killed the highway project and neighborhoods started growin through that area east of Graceland, north of MI airport where the highway was to go.

The next time you're in Memphis, go to the Chamber Of Commerce or library and look it up in their archives.

MissyM
    I'm sure the price wasn't quite to Pricilla's liking even if they were to buy it.

Pricilla did that to turn it into a multi-million dollar inheritance. There was enough in that house that all/or most contents and personal effects could have been sold to keep the house(itself) for a long while. And then any of the proceeds would have gone into her trust. Then that money could have been invested. Just now the original piano is being sold. It was in the basement because Pricilla bought Elvis a new one. Lisa ownes that, why sell it now? Do you know what Elvis stuff goes for at an auction? There were ways, don't be fooled. It isn't as if Lisa wanted to keep it to live in it. Why not just sell it? That's what they did with the other homes?? Oh and what happened to that money?? That story that Pricilla made sure got out there about them owing back taxes and they had no other choice is a bunch of bulloney!
    Oh and look at the timing of it all. Nothing could be done till Grandma died. Technically she owned a portion of that home till she died.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong about this.

First of all, Graceland was in financial dept after Elvis died.

Vernon and Elvis' aunt and grandmother remained livin there and the upkeepin was costin them a fortune.

This was why the city thought they could buy the home and then do whatever they needed to with it. But Cilla stepped in for Vernon who was too sick and old and took control, under his permission.

Dodger Presley didn't own Graceland legally. She just lived there as a resident, as did his aunt, Delta Mae.

Vernon owned Graceland and when he died it went to LMP.

I used to stay close to Graceland where my grandfatehr lived, and me and my cousin and best friend Ebony used to walk down to the gates.

I knew a lot about it as I got older and about Elvis as well.

That's how I became a fan.

I'm sure the price wasn't quite to Pricilla's liking even if they were to buy it.
    At that time, it was only worth about 200,000 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeisha View Post
    You say you kept up with everything concernin Graceland back then, but truth of the matter is unless you lived in Memphis back in 82, before I was born, you couldn't possibly known everything that was reported by our local media.

The internet wasn't known to exist back then. So how could you keep up with everything written or spoken abut Graceland or Elvis? There's no way.

Oh, please! It was the 1980s ... not the 1880s!!! Television, newspapers, fan club magazines, word of mouth etc etc. The Elvis fan world (and the world in general when it comes to news) is exactly as connected as it was back then. It's just that news travels faster these days; the actual amount getting through hasn't changed one jot.

Additionally, I wrote for the Elvis Monthly, many US magazines and was in contact with Graceland myself regularly from 1980 to 1984 or so. And in contact with several fanclubs worldwide.

You were born prior to 1982? Well, as a child of the sixties, I'd suggest you couldn't possibly know what communications were like back then!

And I'd rather have the person / people claiming this story was true to put up the information on this site themselves. It is neither my place nor my inclination to do so myself.

I'm not saying this story isn't true, but please provide proof before bandying about stuff like this.
    Last edited by Getlo; 09-26-2007 at 12:15 PM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Loving elvis
    Great information Lakeiska, some believe some don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeisha View Post
    Excuse me, but why was my name dragged into this?
    EP75 = Lakeisha (same person, so three people have PMed me so far anyway). So, I'll just go with the flow ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Oh, please! It was the 1980s ... not the 1880s!!! Television, newspapers, fan club magazines, word of mouth etc etc. The Elvis fan world (and the world in general when it comes to news) is exactly as connected as it was back then. It's just that news travels faster these days; the actual amount getting through hasn't changed one jot.

Additionally, I wrote for the Elvis Monthly, many US magazines and was in contact with Graceland myself regularly from 1980 to 1984 or so. And in contact with several fanclubs worldwide.

And I'd rather have the person / people claiming this story was true to put up the information on this site themselves. It is neither my place nor my inclination to do so myself.

I'm not saying this story isn't true, but please provide proof before bandying about stuff like this.
    Then don't complain if nobody posts the info for you, if you can't look it up or research it yourself.

And no....the world is nothin like it was in 1980's. It's changed a lot and the way news and media traveled in those days is nothin like it does today.

Btw, how could you have been in contact with Graceland in 80? It wasn't opened to the public until 82.

Like I said, if you wanna know more about it then go to the library the next time you're here in Memphis and do research on "Graceland and highway project".

EP75 = Lakeisha (same person, so three people have PMed me so far anyway). So, I'll just go with the flow ...
    LMBAO....you need to get a life.

This is why I don't post much anymore in the Elvis world. Everybody's either biased, racist, or thinks they know everything.....and about each person who posts at that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast