Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zippin Pippin could still end up at Graceland

Zippin Pippin could still end up at Graceland

I got an email this mornin from my good friend who has connections to the city board, and he told me somethin yall might wanna know about Elvis' favorite roller coaster, the Zippin Pippin.

He said the city is lookin for a permanent home in the city for the historical ride.

This is true because it was mentioned on the news the other day.

But what he told me was never mentioned on the news. He said that the city officials are gonna try and get Sillerman and EPE to move it to Graceland, but not on the grounds, but nearby.

He thinks the best place for it would be behind the Heartbreak Hotel since EPE owns that land.

He told me that nothin has been proposed yet, but the city wants it to stay in Memphis and is tryin to get it registered as a National Historic Landmark like Graceland.

Havin it as part of the new attractions would help bring in more children and young adults. Plus, Elvis die hard fans would be wantin to ride it as well, since Elvis did.

I know Soden and Cilla have said there won't be any rides, and respectfully there shouldn't. But if there is.....the Pippin would be the only that should be there and Graceland would be the best option for the coaster's fate since it has ties to Elvis and his last days on earth.

My source thinks Sillerman will give in to up the number of tourists at Graceland and move it there or close by.

Time will tell if this becomes a reality or fantasy.

Dont think it would be right having it at Graceland somehow
    Rosanne 4/27/59-7/22/09 Rest in Peace

http://malc07.tripod.com

My Radio shows every Thursday and Sunday at 7pm UK time

Backstage Pass
    It don't belong at Graceland. Why don't they build an amusement park name it after Elvis and put it there!!!!

That's a great idea Shelly? I wouldn't want to see it too close to the Graceland grounds either - it doesn't belong there! I don't want to see them lose it, but I'm afraid they are planning to build too much around the mansion as it is.

Diane

And who said Graceland wasn't going to be turned into an amusement park????!!!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Yall, he said the city is gonna try and convince EPE and Sillerman to take it.

If they do, more than likely it would go at the back end of the parking lot where the wooded area is behind HH and the RV Park.

I don't think it would be visible from EPB in that area. So what's the big deal if they do move it there to save it?

After all.....it was Elvis' favorite ride.

Graceland is a national historic landmark, I don't think that would be allowed there.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

I'm not at all for an amusement park atmosphere at Graceland. But for some reason the thought of the Zippin' Pippin' as part of the new attractions somewhere in the vicinity of the area isn't all that bad since it does have EP relations to it. As long as it's not on the grounds or next to the mansion. The vision of a roller coaster at Graceland would be a turn off even for the casual fans. But the opportunity to ride on EP's favorite ride somewhere near the campus would be enticing to many visitors and especially the youth. That I have no problem with.

If it lures in more young adults and children to Graceland then bring it on!
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Graceland is a national historic landmark, I don't think that would be allowed there.

The mansion and the original grounds it sits on is a National landmark. But the newer purchased land (north of the mansion and across the street) is not part of the landmark boundaries. They have no limits as to what can and can't be built on the new land.

If you measure the new land recently purchased by EPE north of the mansion's gate and all the land on the other side of Elvis Presley Boulevard, it strectches to 3/4 of a mile wide in land now owned by Bob Sillerman. Hence the plan for a massive overhaul expansion in that area.
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    the thought of the Zippin' Pippin' as part of the new attractions somewhere in the vicinity of the area isn't all that bad since it does have EP relations to it.
    It was his favourite roller coaster ride, but so what?

Should they also bring to Graceland the Memphian Theatre if it gets torn down? ... the sign from his favourite burger joint? ... street signs from where he used to drive? ... etc etc

The link is relatively tenuous I'd suggest, especially when compared to what's already there. And there's no way it would have the same seats etc as when Elvis used it. The Zippin would surely have been updated in the past 30 or 40 years, one would think.

If it's torn down, let it go to scrap, give it away to charity or whatever.

But Graceland and EPE do not need it.

I wonder if they'd actually charge admission to go on the thing once it's installed though. I wouldn't put it past them ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    I wonder if they'd actually charge admission to go on the thing once it's installed though. I wouldn't put it past them ...
    Bet on it. Don?t they do the same with Elvis?s pool table?

Mad Tigers
    I think that would be great! I know that they've recently bought the surrounding land, or are working on it (not sure status) around Graceland and are planning on cleaning up that area.

I was upset to hear when they closed Libertyland

That is an historical ride for the town and for EP fans.
    Before Anybody Did Anything, Elvis Did Everything

I'll just say this - I'm taking this with a grain of salt; a lot of grain of salt ...in the first post it even says "he told me.." etc

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    It was his favourite roller coaster ride, but so what?

Should they also bring to Graceland the Memphian Theatre if it gets torn down? ... the sign from his favourite burger joint? ... street signs from where he used to drive? ... etc etc

The link is relatively tenuous I'd suggest ...
    My thoughts exactly Getlo ...

Some of these ideas and threads get more ludicrous as the days go by ...

Here we go again... What's next for them? How about a carny-stand where you can order a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich with a side of burned bacon??? I feel another migraine coming on....

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

re

I don't know but I don't think it's a very bad idea...
    If this won't happen,maybe the rollercoaster will be destroyed,and we'll never see it again.
    I don't think it's a very bad idea,but that's just my opinion...
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

Loving elvis
    I'll believe it when l see it

It was sold to private investors and taken down and removed from Memphis...so how is it that it now found it's way back?
    Also I don't believe this for one minute...who is the City councilman? Please give a name, he is a PUBLIC official so I'm sure he has his name mentioned all the time.
    JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
    It was sold to private investors and taken down and removed from Memphis...so how is it that it now found it's way back?
    Also I don't believe this for one minute...who is the City councilman? Please give a name, he is a PUBLIC official so I'm sure he has his name mentioned all the time.
    JMO
    you are TOO RIGHT!

Hi my friend!
    I find this story completely fabricated and posted to incite the fans.
    I show u something in a bit remind me.
    Hugs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast