Thread: Elvis and Roy orbison

Elvis and Roy orbison

Hi does anybody know what song roy wrote for elvis but decided to keep it for him self and has anybody got any pictures of elvis and roy together if you have please post them on here.

I think you're looking for 'Only The Lonely', which was supposedly for Elvis, but Roy later on admitted being glad to have recorded it. I know Elvis did record 'She Wears My Ring', which was an English rendition by Orbison of a song in Spanish, unless I'm very much mistaken.

There are a few songs they have both recorded, for example 'I Can't Stop Loving You'. It's interesting to hear the differences.

Roy's version of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6juuMHZzHs

Elvis' version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzmtGNUAHuU

I also remember a snippet of Elvis singing 'Running Scared'. Elvis liked this song 'Crying', but only sang it for his own pleasure - the same way I'd only do 'Hound Dog' or 'Jailhouse Rock' to have a laugh, but not for serious purposes.

Roy attended an Elvis concert in 1976 (Las Vegas); EP sang a line of 'It's Over' and praised Roy's singing abilities.

Johnny Cash and Roy meet up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQamJyT2vbY

I wouldn't do 'Pretty Woman' either. I did change the lyrics on one occasion ('Oh, Billy Gilman'), combining it with 'My Billy Is Over The Ocean'.
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 09-21-2007 at 05:02 PM. Reason: minor error
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

i have always heard that elvis was a big fan of roy orbison and his singing abilities. roy does sing well and has a powerful voice, of course elvis recognized this in him. one more reason our man is the best.

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    Imagine Elvis singing Sleepy Hollow. That would have been good. Roys version was fantastic.
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

Mad Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis_Lady_1984 View Post
    i have always heard that elvis was a big fan of roy orbison and his singing abilities. roy does sing well and has a powerful voice, of course elvis recognized this in him. one more reason our man is the best.

Yes you are right - Elvis had alotof respect for Roy Orbisonand rightfully so.He was very talented indeed.

Actually Elvis and Johnny Cash were the ones that helped Roy get on Sun Records
    If you want to read the full story here is the EIN Link: http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotligh...eetselvis.html
    There are only two photographs of the two great men together one was takedn in '56 and the other in '76 when Roy went to see Elvis in Vegas... actually he wasnt going to untill Carl Perkins who attended an earlier concert in '76 couldnt stop talking about how Elvis seen unhappy and restless (so much so that Carl was in tears!!!) so Roy went to see for himself... there was when Elvis sang Roy's Hit "It's Over" as Roy sat in the audience and after Elvis was done he said on the microphone: "Quite simply, the greatest singer in the world, Roy Orbison".
    In 1979 Roy wrote a song about Elvis called Hound Dog Man.. there is only one live recording of the song
    Hey, hound dog man,
    Where you been now,where you been?
    I wish that you were back,
    It was too good to ever end.
    Once in a while someone like you
    Will give everything for what you wanted to do.

Hey, hound dog man,
    My old friend play it again.

You gave the world a whole lot of joy
    Now that aint bad for a country boy
    I just knew you could not lose
    The way you sang rock and roll and blues.
    I still think about these things
    And the memory that it brings

Hey, hound dog man,
    My old friend,play it again.
    Hey, hound dog man,
    My old friend,play it again

Sometimes I think about james dean,
    Sammy cooke and my teenage queen.
    Doo ron, de ron, de ron,
    Marilyn monroe and hot rod fun.
    I still think about these things
    And the memory that it brings.

Hey, hound dog man,
    My old friend,play it again.
    Hey, hound dog man,
    My old friend why did it end?
    Hey, hound dog man,
    My old friend, why did it end.
    Roy was also a backup voice in Johnny Cash's "We Remember The King"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgPsUfGTf6s

In 1988 Roy (like Elvis) suffered a fetal heart attack in his bathroom however Roy was found before he died by his wife Barbara but he was taken to the hospital but was dead upon arrival
    "Why is it that we want our idols to die on a cross of their own making, and if they don?t, we want our money back? But you know, Elvis ate America before America ate him." Bono

Quote Originally Posted by ReGina_89 View Post
    If you want to read the full story here is the EIN Link: http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotligh...eetselvis.html
    There are only two photographs of the two great men together one was takedn in '56 and the other in '76 when Roy went to see Elvis in Vegas... actually he wasnt going to untill Carl Perkins who attended an earlier concert in '76 couldnt stop talking about how Elvis seen unhappy and restless (so much so that Carl was in tears!!!) so Roy went to see for himself... there was when Elvis sang Roy's Hit "It's Over" as Roy sat in the audience and after Elvis was done he said on the microphone: "Quite simply, the greatest singer in the world, Roy Orbison".
    In 1979 Roy wrote a song about Elvis called Hound Dog Man.. there is only one live recording of the song

In 1988 Roy (like Elvis) suffered a fetal heart attack in his bathroom however Roy was found before he died by his wife Barbara but he was taken to the hospital but was dead upon arrival
    Wow, thanks Regina

Anytime Marijaep Im an expert on those guys my Grandpa loved them (Cash Orbison and Perkins mostly Cash thou)... so any question you guys can ask me I know pretty much everything about them hehe
    "Why is it that we want our idols to die on a cross of their own making, and if they don?t, we want our money back? But you know, Elvis ate America before America ate him." Bono

I have a live version of "Hound Dog Man" from Austin, Texas 1982. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticSun View Post
    I have a live version of "Hound Dog Man" from Austin, Texas 1982. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yes i got that one too, here's a link for the song if anyone want's to listen to it
    http://media.putfile.com/Roy-Orbison---Hound-Dog-Man

yup thats the only version that exists he never recorded it in a studio

That song is so meaningful and sincere. Thanks!

I'd never seen this special. I hope they decide to either repeat or release this. Class of 55 - was it a network special or a PBS? I so enjoyed viewing this & listening to Roy's Hound Dog Man.

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

[B]so Roy went to see for himself... there was when Elvis sang Roy's Hit "It's Over" as Roy sat in the audience
    Actually, Elvis only warbled the title of this song; he didn't sing the whole thing, nor even one line.

It was on December 4, 1976 in Las Vegas during the introductions, right after Elvis introduced Roy and Engelbert Humperdinck.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Sorry.... this is the first i hear of this and thanks for pointing it out

The only line Elvis sang was "It's Over" - the title of the song. But it was not in his speaking voice, so to say. Don't know if that's enough to be considered "a line".

SleepyJack
    Rich.......Don`t quote me on this but I`m 90% sure I read somewhere that Roy had actually written the song "Ooby Dooby" with Elvis in mind..I could be wrong. I also have the dvd of Roy singing "Hound Dog Man".....a very sincere tribute. There are several Roy Orbison songs I would have loved to hear Elvis sing.....in fact I reckon that had Elvis ever written his own songs they would be very similar in style to Roy`s.

yup thats the only version that exists he never recorded it in a studio
    Hound Dog Man was featured on the 1979 "Laminar Flow" studio
    album.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails album_4236.jpg  

TCB Mafia
    Thanks for posting those touching lyrics, Regina.

Elvis must have really affected Roy, they must have liked each other, a great deal.

Take care,
    Kim