View Poll Results: Did You Like The ABC TV Special "Viva Las Vegas"?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

44 72.13%
  • No

17 27.87%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Did You Like The ABC Special Viva Las Vegas?

I was gonna tape this last night but never got around to it.....and as far as a DVD release? I dunno where some of y'all are hearing that it will be released on DVD, but I've not heard anything at all about the show coming to DVD.

Elvis: Viva Las Vegas on ABC

I kind of liked it the only part I honestly didn't like was the end with Celine Dion I didn't mind listening to Priscilla because I liked her it was Celine that ruined it for me and who knew that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was a huge Elvis fan?

I do think the comment that Las Vegas before Elvis was a place of has beens was not accurate. Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis were huge extablilshed stars and talents. They ruled Vegas before Elvis and were not has beens. The were not rock stars, but were mainstream stars for sure.
    Elvis opened the door for every rocker that has ever played Vegas but these guys helped build Vegas at the start.

I guess it was ok. Its not really my thing though. I don't like Hip hop or rap or whatever its called now, and aside from Faith Hill don't like very many of the acts featured but they did ok for what it was. For me the novelty of mixing Elvis with current artists though is played out. I'm glad most folks seem to have liked it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I was gonna tape this last night but never got around to it.....and as far as a DVD release? I dunno where some of y'all are hearing that it will be released on DVD, but I've not heard anything at all about the show coming to DVD.
    Sometimes its kinda rough for them to get the rights to have the artists from different labels on a official release. Because of the same issues with songs We even have trouble getting them to release stuff like "Thats the way it is", The way it was.

Quote Originally Posted by elvisfan1999 View Post
    I kind of liked it the only part I honestly didn't like was the end with Celine Dion
    I agree about Celine. I was shaking my head and going...
    "WHAT was THAT?"

I will never forget you Rosanne.
    R.I.P. 4-27-59~7-22-09

I thought it was great and well informative for thsoe who know very little about EP or the Vegas Elvis as he is sometimes referred to. Those complaining about lack of new footage or anything new at that are missing the whole point for this documentary.

1)The show was co-produced by EPE. Meaning the footage they had to use was the limited footage that is already available. The movie footage and the Elvis On Tour was poor quality and looked to be a tenth generation copy.

2)This special wasn't for you or me or the die hard fans. It was for the non fans to learn about him. This was for the new generation who thinks EP was some fat guy who died on the toilet. This was to prove them wrong and it did for those who saw it. It had to. How could they not see the lean mean kick a$$ machine that was EP?

3)The artist they selected to be on there were not what I would call A-list or top artists of 2007. Where was Justin Timberlake, Shakira, The Killers, etc? Those are the top artists of 2007. Only 50 cent and Beyonce were the top A-Lister's out there today that was on there. That being said it is also possible that others couldn't do it due to record label disputes.

4)Everything mentioned last night was spot-on and described, dissected, and put into perspective as good as it possibly could be. The only complaint I have with it was too many performances by others which lost the feel of the meaning of the special. They could have done a totally separate special of tribute performances then shown the Vegas era.

At work today this black lady who I told you about that swore EP spit in her friend's face at a concert had no comment on the show but said her daughter watched it to see Beyonce and now won't shut up about how good EP looked. That was the whole purpose right there why Beyonce was asked to be on that show. Having her on there led non fans to watch it and now are interested in him because of it.
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    I thought it was great and well informative for thsoe who know very little about EP or the Vegas Elvis as he is sometimes referred to. Those complaining about lack of new footage or anything new at that are missing the whole point for this documentary.

1)The show was co-produced by EPE. Meaning the footage they had to use was the limited footage that is already available. The movie footage and the Elvis On Tour was poor quality and looked to be a tenth generation copy.

2)This special wasn't for you or me or the die hard fans. It was for the non fans to learn about him. This was for the new generation who thinks EP was some fat guy who died on the toilet. This was to prove them wrong and it did for those who saw it. It had to. How could they not see the lean mean kick a$$ machine that was EP?

3)The artist they selected to be on there were not what I would call A-list or top artists of 2007. Where was Justin Timberlake, Shakira, The Killers, etc? Those are the top artists of 2007. Only 50 cent and Beyonce were the top A-Lister's out there today that was on there. That being said it is also possible that others couldn't do it due to record label disputes.

4)Everything mentioned last night was spot-on and described, dissected, and put into perspective as good as it possibly could be. The only complaint I have with it was too many performances by others which lost the feel of the meaning of the special. They could have done a totally separate special of tribute performances then shown the Vegas era.

At work today this black lady who I told you about that swore EP spit in her friend's face at a concert had no comment on the show but said her daughter watched it to see Beyonce and now won't shut up about how good EP looked. That was the whole purpose right there why Beyonce was asked to be on that show. Having her on there led non fans to watch it and now are interested in him because of it.
    I'm all for anything which gets people to notice Elvis but lets face it, by now a lot of minds are set- made up- on who and what Elvis was. This type program will not alter that sitution much IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by elvisfan1999 View Post
    ..... who knew that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was a huge Elvis fan?
    I knew.... only because I read his autobiography a few years ago. Back when he was wrestling and was in Memphis he did a little tribute to him.

Coming On Strong
    I liked the show. I think it highlighted how talented Elvis was. No offense to the other artists but I don't think they sang Elvis' songs half as well as he did. Elvis was truly one of a kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    At the end of it, it was mentioned that it would be available on DVD....

franny

Quote Originally Posted by franny View Post
    At the end of it, it was mentioned that it would be available on DVD....

franny

You made it through the fine print credits and all ? Sheesh I was proud of myself for making it through whatever that "in the ghetto" thing was.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    OK. Sure.

All in all I guess I enjoyed it. I felt the Vegas clips of Elvis were good, I liked Faith Hill's rendition of his songs, I didn't particularly enjoy any of the other singers except for Chris Doherty. I did like his rendition of Suspicious Minds. He did it his way like Faith did her songs and it was nice. Both I felt kept the "Elvis" feeling there.

The interviews with Jerry and Priscilla were predictable. Celine Dionne was Celine...what can I say? I like her voice but she is unable to relate to Elvis' style

I hated the scene of the rap singers blocking out Elvis at every turn during their performance.

Diane

Smile

Well I did like it - But its the same thing all the time. I think maybe Priscilla needs to take a break from all of this ... lol too her

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    OK. Sure.
    Look I don't care if you believe me or not. I'm not here to please your ego.
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

I liked most of the show, but all the songs by others were too long--since most of them butchered the Elvis songs, just portions of the songs would have been plenty. Then more of Elvis singing, instead of just snitches of his songs.
    I have nothing against Priscilla, she looks good for her age, etc, I guess, but what is wrong with her upper lip? Doesn't she have any upper teeth? YOu never get any hint of seeing them, just the lower ones. Looks strange,and she didn't use to look that way.
    I didn't see much about the Las VEgas complex they mentioned. Is there a website, or something, showing what they are planning?
    I just got back from Graceland last week, and was happy to see it wasn't as rundown as I was afraid it was. I can't believe how many people go thru there. I was afraid there wouldn't be many, because of the big celebration last month. But there are 8 tours per hour, every hour, and each tour filled up one of the buses that hold about 40 people. 320 per hour, X 8 hours= 2500 people on a Tuesday!!?? They were lined up waiting to get on the bus to the mansion like at Disneyworld! Had a great time.

Uh oh, some one up above just claimed he is not here to please rocknroll's ego, but is here to please his own !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeisha View Post
    Some were sayin on BW that she and the rappers only did it because theyw ere paid to say all that good stuff. And a certain poster here tried to say that she was as well.

Th truth of the matter is.....no one was paid to be on this special like that. it was an ABC news special.

They don't pay folks to be on the news.

This mornin on the raido, they were talkin about it and they mentioned that Beyonce and the rappers all agreed to do the show as their way to honor him, not for money.

So yall can let it go that think those stars were paid to say nice things about him.

They did it because they respect and admire him.
    So very naive, so lil time ...

I too am tired of the "poor victim me" from Priscilla, and why was she on there anyway? It's not like we've not heard her version a gazillion times!
    I did enjoy (w/exception of Celine) the tributes to Elvis.
    I agree ksimms2 I to could accept that, but well she will never say that.

To answer someone's ?...Pris lips are like that since the plastic surgery...up to 2000 or so you could still see her upper teeth when she smiled.

King_Creole cracking me up (in good way) and so much truth in your posts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast