Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tribute Or Not To Tribute, That Is The Question?

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

Tribute Or Not To Tribute, That Is The Question?

I don?t want to be disrespectful to tribute artists but one of the things that sticks in my craw is when an extremely overweight impersonator wears a Jumpsuit from a time period that just doesn?t look right with the size they are? for example when you see a guy wearing Jumpsuits from 1970 like the Concho & Fringe you expect them to at least wear them with style! I realise that these suits cost less money to purchase but for heaven?s sake ?WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails terrible 1.jpg   terrible 2.jpg  

I agree JJ! What are they thinking??

franny

I agree JJ, they are not doing Elvis justice. Maybe they are blind to themselves and think they look as well as he did.....sad.

Diane

Tribute artists ... impersonators ... call them what you will, they all suck in one way or another.

It's the jumpsuit and the hair that's the problem. Why can't they just get up on the bloody stage and sing the songs ... why try and dress like him?

EPE should hang their heads in shame for sanctioning that recent impersonator contest ...

Maybe the new Graceland expansion could have a special impersonator exhibit? I wouldn't be surprised if that's on the cards. Perhaps EP75/Lakeisha (assuming they're actually two different people) can shed some light?
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

I have mixed feelings about them
    But, don't be so harsh on them...
    Everything is ok as long as they admire Elvis and want to do everything to keep his memory alive.
    But, the thing I don't like is when i will see someone not talented at all and over-weight wearing (as JJ said) inappropriate jumpsuit
    Why almost all of the impersonators are over-weight?? Why don't anyone try to impersonate Elvis at his best?
    Simple...Because no-one can! That's a fact.

But, I like when I see someone singing his songs(nicely dressed, not to tacky).

Marija

I agree with you JJ.. I have seen many impersonators (some good ~~ some not so good) If they are going to wear the jumpsuits... the least they can do is get them to fit their bodies. ( The heavy set guys that wear the to tight jumpsuits~~make a fool of themselves to me!!) They make me laugh and appreciate Elvis that much more. Elvis had a style of his own and few can look as good as he did in a Jumpsuit. If a impersonator wants to perform.. he should at least make sure the jumpsuit fits him properly and perhaps they would not hear so many snickers. I do not have a problem with ETA's as long as they are respectful to Elvis. (The ones who wear jumpsuits 3 sizes to small only make themselves look like fools.. not Elvis.) Dovey
    Get Him, get him~~Hot D*** ~~ he's a Squirrel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI7WiBUN_Bw

Quote Originally Posted by Dovey View Post
    (The ones who wear jumpsuits 3 sizes to small only make themselves look like fools.. not Elvis.)
    No, Dovey, they don't.

The fat *****s who parade around in jumpsuits three sizes too small do reflect on Elvis and his legacy, and perpetuate the usual garish stereotype.

Death to ETA'S !!!!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

International Level
    There are some out there that really do give great Tribute to Elvis. Elvis said it was great honor that he thought someone would pay tribute to him. Now, I do agree with JJ there are some out there that I wish they would loose their weight and look some what trim. When I was hitting 210+ mark back in June and July I started wearing 2 piece jumpsuits until I lost all that weight. I'm now down to 170 pounds and I plan on staying there.

As for EPE backing us. Its great because they finally figured that some of use really do Love Elvis and we do this for the love of Elvis. I take a lot of pride in what I do. I study Elvis non-stop 24/7 because I can always learn something new on video or listen in CD.

It was a great honor I got picked to do a show in Barstow, California for EPE back in May. If it wasn't for Elvis I wouldn't have gotten to stand on same stage as Elvis at the Hilton that same month too and meet Barry and etc. So...

As for the "Death to the ETA's" quote. Your not the first or last one to threaten us...would you like my address? LMBO!

Love to all,
    Tim Dudley

P.S. sorry for spelling and grammer some of you know me.

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by marijaep View Post
    I have mixed feelings about them
    But, don't be so harsh on them...
    Everything is ok as long as they admire Elvis and want to do everything to keep his memory alive.
    But, the thing I don't like is when i will see someone not talented at all and over-weight wearing (as JJ said) inappropriate jumpsuit
    Why almost all of the impersonators are over-weight?? Why don't anyone try to impersonate Elvis at his best?
    Simple...Because no-one can! That's a fact.

But, I like when I see someone singing his songs(nicely dressed, not to tacky).

Marija
    I agree, l have mixed feelings too

Quote Originally Posted by Dudcowboy_1 View Post
    As for EPE backing us. Its great because they finally figured that some of use really do Love Elvis and we do this for the love of Elvis.
    With respect, TD, EPE finally opening up to tribute artists had nothing to do with their realising most of you loved and respected Elvis.

The recent impersonator contest was another way for the EPE Nazis to make $$$$$$$$$$
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

I, for one, like some of the ETA's...because I never got to see Elvis in person - so I do so through them....HOWEVER....if they can't respectfully fill those big shoes - then they ought not to be doing it. The fat, jumpsuit wearing ones are the reason Elvis gets made fun of. They need to be a bit more respectful of their appearance to pay tribute to Elvis. If they aren't going to take it seriously - then don't do it at all.

International Level
    Plus Ksimms2,

Media seems pick up on the jokes. That's why Next Best Thing was great for Tribute Artist World. It did help get respect for some of us out there. Do I agree what some of them said on there? No, but editing crew had a lot to do with it too.

Love to all,
    Tim Dudley

Quote Originally Posted by Dudcowboy_1 View Post
    Plus Ksimms2,

Media seems pick up on the jokes. That's why Next Best Thing was great for Tribute Artist World. It did help get respect for some of us out there. Do I agree what some of them said on there? No, but editing crew had a lot to do with it too.

Love to all,
    Tim Dudley
    Tim, yes Next Best Thing was good because it allowed 2 ETA's to the finals and people didn't laugh and make fun. Trent does a great job, althought many hate him. I have only seen 1 ETA here local where I live and I loved him....he hasn't been doing it as long as some have and he doesn't have the $$ to make a big production like some...but he sure was awesome - his name is Steve Roberti - have you heard of him? He's on my myspace page if you look....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steve dark suit.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	876.1 KB 
ID:	19059

p.s. Steve looks REALLY GOOD in his jumpsuits! yea baby!!!!

International Level
    Yea I think I have few of is fans and friends under my friends. Yea he's making good impact on the Elvii world. Have I ever met him? No I haven't yet.

Love to all,
    Tim Dudley

Yup, you do have friends here Tim because you're one of the ETA's that come across as having genuine feelings for Elvis.

I think the controversy about ETA's today is partly because when Elvis was alive (I read this somewhere on this forum) that there were only about 35 ETA's and now there are about 10,000. With that many you know there are a lot of bad ones out there that do harm Elvis' image and the same for those who do it just the money.

I think those of you who do respect Elvis are very good especially for those who never had the chance to see him live....so keep on making those people happy!

Diane

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    As you are aware I have the utmost respect for you Tim and one of the things that you touched on in your post is key; when you are a certain weight it is better to wear a jumpsuit that better reflects the time period/suit which reflects the same period or stage in Elvis' life.

The two Piece suits are an ideal garment to slim down a person rather than a Jumpsuit which in some cases leaves little to the imagination

The pictures that I posted above illustrate what I mean. The guy might sing like an angel but he looks nothing like Elvis and does little to portray the king in a flattering way! The only positive thing I can say about this guy is that he isn't wearing the aviator style glasses.

P.S. Tim, it's about time you posted some new photo's on your thread, i haven't seen any for a while

Matt

IMO Very few imitators due justice to Elvis or his music- but I know they bring a lot of joy to many. So there is a positive end to it.

International Level
    well JJ, not sure where my post called Hey Gang went too? I was looking for it but its not on one of 3 pages. Is there way bring it back up from archives? Thank you JJ and Diane for lovely words.

The picture with the lady in gold looking suit. Thanks my grandma she was the one along with my late grandfather that got me hooked on Elvis. And I thank them everyday because I don't know where I would be if I listen to that music(Not sure if should be called music) if I be man I am today.

Like I tell people at my shows...Elvis has helped me in good and bad times of my life. His music was always there for me and there is not better way I can say thank you than what i am doing now for him and the elvis fans. Also being 23 I want keep his music alive and his image too.

Love to all,
    Tim Dudley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TimDudleyIndiana.jpg   TimandG.jpg   TD.jpg  

RoyandTim.jpg   SatTimDudleyreceiving3rdplacefromJulia.jpg   Satsigningautographs.jpg  

German Impersonator J?rgen Schneider and 'Little Elvis' in Bad Nauheim Aug. '07
    Although JS was acting and dressing quite acceptable, his performance was not good, no magic....simply nothing. I tried to imagine it would be Elvis.....no chance
    I am sorry but I think they make Elvis look like and *****, Non-fans do not know that TAs love and respect Elvis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3664a.jpg   IMG_3671a.jpg   IMG_3688a.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast