Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What if: Elvis' song choices AFTER 1977

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by TCE
    If I'm informed correctly Elvis had a rare voice that could reach to 8 octaves. So he really could sing almost anything. Not many artists have that previlege.

Be safe and take care,

Christel (TCE)
    Elvis was one fantastic singer, but I don't think 8 octaves is physically possible for ANYBODY.
    I think the largest range was 5 octaves of, if I remember correctly, Ima Sumak (sp) a female (opera) singer.
    The highest I've heard for Elvis was a three octave range. That is still 24 notes!
    Mariah Carey (can't stand her) supposedly has 4-4.5 octaves.......

Cadillac King
    I don't recall who said it, but someone said it in the DVD: Elvis, He touched me. If I understood it right what was said: Elvis had a very special voice that could reach up to 8 octaves. It doesn't mean he always sung them. Anyway if you listen to life concerts and studio tapes you hear him often sing in various voices. I mean one time you hear him sing Very high (even I can't reach that tone and I'm a girl, but then again I must admit I only can sing low voices.) and another time very low and in between.
    Just watch the DVD: He touched me and let me know if I understood right. I really can recommend this dvd.

Be safe and take care,

Christel (TCE)

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by TCE
    I don't recall who said it, but someone said it in the DVD: Elvis, He touched me. If I understood it right what was said: Elvis had a very special voice that could reach up to 8 octaves. It doesn't mean he always sung them. Anyway if you listen to life concerts and studio tapes you hear him often sing in various voices. I mean one time you hear him sing Very high (even I can't reach that tone and I'm a girl, but then again I must admit I only can sing low voices.) and another time very low and in between.
    Just watch the DVD: He touched me and let me know if I understood right. I really can recommend this dvd.

Be safe and take care,

Christel (TCE)
    Yes, and in "The Definitive Elvis" DVD box, Charlie says Elvis' had an exceptionally big range: two and a half octaves!
    The average, professional, singer has a one and a half to two octave range, which is already more than the average person. I have never heard of any singer, not even operatic singers, having a bigger range than 5 octaves....
    So, whomever said that about Elvis I'm sure meant well, but I'm afraid - as much as I love Elvis - he is probably wrong.
    That's 64 notes folks, that is VERY MUCH!

And of course nobody sings all the notes all the time, simply because it is very hard to write a nice sounding song when having to cross 8 bars! to cover all 64 notes

Cadillac King
    Ok. I guess I misunderstood. Sorry. But I find it already great that Elvis could sing highnotes aswell as low. Lol. I'm always surprissed to hear him sing those notes with such an ease. At least it seems that way. As I said before: I only can sing low notes.

Be safe and take care,

Christel (TCE)

Backstage Pass
    well hey, 3 octaves is better than none...like me.

the difference between elvis and a many singers who have even greater ranges...that doesn't mean they sound as good! he had a tonal quality in his voice that wasn't a trained interchangeable voice that just hits perfect notes.

he doesn't need to hit notes, he feels the words and the tune of the song.
    "Elvis, we're talking about shooting from the waist down, and not being able to touch hands with body, or body with hands, excuse me. I just got this show off the air boy"

Good point Elvis Babe

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    Yes, and in "The Definitive Elvis" DVD box, Charlie says Elvis' had an exceptionally big range: two and a half octaves!
    The average, professional, singer has a one and a half to two octave range, which is already more than the average person. I have never heard of any singer, not even operatic singers, having a bigger range than 5 octaves....
    So, whomever said that about Elvis I'm sure meant well, but I'm afraid - as much as I love Elvis - he is probably wrong.
    That's 64 notes folks, that is VERY MUCH!

And of course nobody sings all the notes all the time, simply because it is very hard to write a nice sounding song when having to cross 8 bars! to cover all 64 notes
    No, all what you wrote is slightly different.

1.) I know few singers with large range (4,5 to 5 octaves). I know three men - I. Gillan (I took there a link, when is it very evident!), G. Hughes and R. Halford. These are singers with really huge range. For example, one of most known singers (F. Mercury) had "only" 3,5 octaves.
    2.) Octave hasn?t 8 tones, but only seven (C, D, E, F, G, A, H)... Five octaves are 35 notes (5*7). Stunning range! (try to play it on piano).
    3.) Elvis? range... I really don?t know. But if I should try to tip it - around three octaves. Not less!
    (Blackmore - Gillan - Glover - Lord - Paice)
    Sweet child in time
    you?ll see the line
    line that?s drawn between
    good and bad
    see the blind man
    shooting at the world
    bullets flying taking toll
    If you?ve been a bad
    oh Lord I bet you have
    and you?ve not been hit
    by flying led
    you?d better close your eyes
    you?d better bow your head and
    wait for the ricochet

- Lyrics of most beautiful song in rock music ever!!!

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    I don't know the answer to this question (that's why I'm asking), but what song or songs that Elvis performed feature the greatest range of notes sung by Elvis?

A couple of modern country songs which I'd love to hear done Elvis-style would be Love Without End, Amen and Three Wooden Crosses. OK, another song with 'Amen' in the title that would be great given an Elvis treatment (what song wouldn't be?): Forever And Ever, Amen.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12