Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if: Elvis' song choices AFTER 1977

International Level

What if: Elvis' song choices AFTER 1977

Okay, travel with me into the "what if" realm, if you will.

Had Elvis lived, regained his health, held on to his great voice even in his fifties and beyond, what songs would he have been great at recording?

I always feel each time I play The Joshua Tree, U2's 1987 CD, that many of the songs on that one could have been perfectly sung by Elvis.
    Fave would then be "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" of course, which would have fit Elvis to a tee.
    I can even hear him doing "With or Without You" and "One Tree Hill", the majority of the songs on that CD anyway

Anyone of you have contemporary songs they feel Elvis could and perhaps would have picked to do, had he lived?

Curious Cherokee

Backstage Pass
    The Wind Beneath My Wings is one of my favourite songs- it'd be nice to have heard him sing that....or maybe he could have done a duets album (Tom Jones stylee!)

I think that Golden Boy and How Can I Go On by Mercury are great gospel songs for Elvis voice.
    (Blackmore - Gillan - Glover - Lord - Paice)
    Sweet child in time
    you?ll see the line
    line that?s drawn between
    good and bad
    see the blind man
    shooting at the world
    bullets flying taking toll
    If you?ve been a bad
    oh Lord I bet you have
    and you?ve not been hit
    by flying led
    you?d better close your eyes
    you?d better bow your head and
    wait for the ricochet

- Lyrics of most beautiful song in rock music ever!!!

The Springsteen ditty I'm On Fire, although a little short, would have been great. There are lots of Chris Isaak tracks Elvis would have done a good job with, such as I Believe, 5:15, Graduation Day and I Want Your Love. Hmm, Thick and Thin by The Black Crowes could have been a great rock performance. So many...

Steve
    A tom jones song aigan,

"The Boy From Nowhere" (The pour grow week, and the rich grow strong... somethings wrong)

Elvis would do a great job on this one.

queen
    I think that if Elvis was alive he would have loved the songs of Queen and freddie Mercury.

Also, when I hear Bon Jovi's sonds I think of Elvis.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    Okay, travel with me into the "what if" realm, if you will.

Had Elvis lived, regained his health, held on to his great voice even in his fifties and beyond, what songs would he have been great at recording?

I always feel each time I play The Joshua Tree, U2's 1987 CD, that many of the songs on that one could have been perfectly sung by Elvis.
    Fave would then be "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" of course, which would have fit Elvis to a tee.
    I can even hear him doing "With or Without You" and "One Tree Hill", the majority of the songs on that CD anyway

Anyone of you have contemporary songs they feel Elvis could and perhaps would have picked to do, had he lived?

Curious Cherokee
    Interesting choice you all have, I think it is great! But I have to go with Cherokee. Maybe because I think it is the best band ever It would be awsome the best artist singing there songs.

Backstage Pass
    "I Can't Make You Love Me " would have been tailor made for Elvis to do, it's a great song and Elvis was drawn to songs like that and I know it was out long before he died but I would have loved to have heard Elvis' version of the Beatles "Long and Winding Road"
    "When You Let Your Head get Too Big, It'll Break your Neck" Elvis Presley.

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverbobs
    "I Can't Make You Love Me " would have been tailor made for Elvis to do, it's a great song and Elvis was drawn to songs like that and I know it was out long before he died but I would have loved to have heard Elvis' version of the Beatles "Long and Winding Road"
    Oooooh yeah, that's one beautiful song. I LOVE Bonnie Rait's version. :worthy:
    Later that horrible soap actress Martha Byrne of ATWT screamed her way through it, that one almost made me lose my lunch

He would definitely have made that song his own.

And P.S. Annie: yeah, U2 is pretty darn good, probably my second favorite group after The BeeGees :worthy: :worthy:

Steve
    something like "the summer of '69" of bryan addams?

Backstage Pass
    hmm...

how about "satisfaction"???

or...

probably a lot of ballads and gospel...

he might have voiced a disney animated movie by now...
    "Elvis, we're talking about shooting from the waist down, and not being able to touch hands with body, or body with hands, excuse me. I just got this show off the air boy"

Backstage Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Unchained
    I was hoping for something a little bit harder Steve, maybe a old song from Motorhead or something like that

lol- can't imagine Elvis belting out the Ace of Spades on stage!!!!

Steve
    he would do a great job on Robbie Williams his "FEEL".

Cadillac King
    I'm new here. So I first introduce myself. I'm Christel from the Netherlands and 39 years old. I became a fan of Elvis one day before he died.
    Now about this topic.
    I ones got send a medley by mail of modern songs (U2, UB40,Queen, Bruce Springsteen etc.) sang by an Elvis-artist who's voice almost (I said almost) sounded like Elvis. Ofcource you could hear it wasn't Elvis, because there was no debt in the voice like Elvis had, but as I heard these songs I just could tell that if Elvis really had sang these songs they all would've sound great. His voice is timeless.

Be safe and take care,

Christel (TCE)

International Level
    Why, howdy Christel, welcome to the board! I'm sure you're gonna like it here, there's tons of very talented people in the art and design department and generally there's love for all kinds of Elvis fans, new and young and old and uhm young-ish

Maybe you can post a more extensive post in the Who are we? thread of this forum.

Enjoy your stay!

Cadillac King
    I noticed that there are many talented guys and galls in here. I've seen many pic's and the forum is great too. About Elvis singing a hard-rock song. Nah. It wouldn't suit him. He ain't that rough as those guys. Lol. I'm trying to think how: "Whole lotta rosie" would sound like sung by Elvis. Lol.

Christel (TCE)

I would really want to hear a Child In Time in Elvis? version (yes, Elvis had a smaller range than Ian Gillan still has, but I think that his feeling would be great for this really hard song).

P.S.: Elvis invited DP to Graceland at the end of 72 because he was stunned by Ians? voice and Ians? range (= 4,5 octaves now ; in early 70s 5 octaves :worthy: )
    (Blackmore - Gillan - Glover - Lord - Paice)
    Sweet child in time
    you?ll see the line
    line that?s drawn between
    good and bad
    see the blind man
    shooting at the world
    bullets flying taking toll
    If you?ve been a bad
    oh Lord I bet you have
    and you?ve not been hit
    by flying led
    you?d better close your eyes
    you?d better bow your head and
    wait for the ricochet

- Lyrics of most beautiful song in rock music ever!!!

TCB Mafia
    Whatever Elvis had put his mind to he could have pulled it off.....that much i am sure of.

Some of U2's songs, i agree Elvis could have recorded with ease and they would i'm sure be great. That also applies to many ballads that have been recorded throughout the years. I am not really a fan of the likes of Boyzone...Westlife and the likes....but some of the songs done Elvis Style pobably would appeal.

The same as i am not a huge fan of Tom Jones even though i do respect the man....i though the reload album was great for him...and if Elvis had done something similar that too would have been awesome. I am sure he would have had a hell of a lot of offers for sure

And finally....i agree with Unchained. As a big Rock fan too it would have been awesome to here Elvis go Rock big time once in a while. And i do truly belive he could have pulled it off, no problem.

I don't know if any of you have heard of Jeff Healey. One ( of many ) of my favourite sounds of the last few years. Although Jeff has a great voice.....some of his numbers performed with Elvis on Vocals would have Rocked the house down
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Elvis loved to sing ballads, the way Dean Martin did. But he thought that his audience wanted him to rock, because that was what made him famous. If you combine that with his passion for Gospel music and his roots in Country, I don't think that Elvis really wanted to stay in touch with modern music.

He could choose between so many songs, but still picked many old ones or less contemporary. So obviously he didn't feel the need to sing hard rock songs that were so popular in the mid-70s.

If Elvis would still be alive, I think his repetoire would be ballads, easy listening and gospel. And that he would prefer singing those for smaller audiences, than to rock (and trying to stay modern) for larger audiences.

One song that would fit in his repetoire would be 'My Eyes Adores You' from Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons. And I would love to hear Elvis singing 'God Only Knows' from The Beach Boys.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Cadillac King
    If I'm informed correctly Elvis had a rare voice that could reach to 8 octaves. So he really could sing almost anything. Not many artists have that previlege.

Be safe and take care,

Christel (TCE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast