Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii

Cadillac King

Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii

I've been watching and re-watching this fabulous concert footage. How incredible it must've been to have been there in the audience! He was commanding, powerful and in masterful vocal form.

I simply love this concert. I prefer the 70s Elvis and this performance truly showcases the King. When he sings "You Gave Me A Mountain" I just sit there in awe of his amazing talent.

Share with me.. what was your favorite part of this magnificent performance? What is your favorite song? How did you feel when you first saw it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vissie View Post
    I've been watching and re-watching this fabulous concert footage. How incredible it must've been to have been there in the audience! He was commanding, powerful and in masterful vocal form.

I simply love this concert. I prefer the 70s Elvis and this performance truly showcases the King. When he sings "You Gave Me A Mountain" I just sit there in awe of his amazing talent.

Share with me.. what was your favorite part of this magnificent performance? What is your favorite song? How did you feel when you first saw it?
    Vissie,

That is my favorite Elvis concert
    I became a fan with watching this wonderful performance on TV....and fell in love
    The whole concert is fabulous but I must say that "An American Trilogy" and "I'll Remember You" are my favorite moments
    I also love his version of "Something" in it, simply amazing
    I like the fact that he was a little bit nervous at the start, it shows how much he cared about his performance.
    Plus..He looks so GOOOOOOOD in it - the jumpsuit is great too...
    Perrrrrrfection...lol

Marija

This is a Great concert
    First time I saw it, I was amazed how great it was...The hole concert it just Awesome, But An American Trilogy, Big hunk O` love are great
    Taking Care of Business
    Til we meet you again, may God bless you, Adios.

The Aloha concert is one of my all-tme favourites too.So many great songs it's hard to pick just one:"CC Rider","Burning Love","Steamroller Blues,""My Way,"" Love Me","American Trilogy" and "What Now My Love" are my favourites,the way Elvis opens up his voice at the end of each song on "Trilogy" and "What Now My Love" is mindblowing!

In addition the rehearsal concert is superb too."CC Rider" is slightly faster and "Burning Love" features great James Burton guitar licks.
    "Hound Dog" is rocking with funky wah-wah guitar and "Suspicious minds" has a great ending with the King showing us a karate stance.

Finally, "Fever" is a terrific version and a real highlight - plus an amazing "What Now My Love" and rocking "Big Hunk 'O' Love"and the added bonus of the magnificent American eagle cape in all its glory [can't wait to see this on BLU-RAY/HD DVD when released some time in the future].

Last edited by my boy; 09-15-2007 at 09:55 AM.

Cadillac King
    Quote Originally Posted by my boy View Post
    [can't wait to see this on BLU-RAY/HD DVD when released some time in the future]

I'll bet that is going to be amazing!

"IT'S OVER"

Great !!!!

TCB Mafia
    He looked great, and Burning Love and Steamroller are probably the best live versions he did of these songs. However, the rest of the concert lacks energy and his voice was better the year before and the following year.

Cadillac King
    Quote Originally Posted by alstrada View Post
    "IT'S OVER"

Great !!!!
    I agree alstrada... what a fabulous performance!

I love "Aloha From Hawaii"....but (and I don't mean to turn this into a debate so please don't take it that way) I think the show was way too "ballad-heavy" and we really didn't get to see the "rocking" side of Elvis as we did during "Elvis: That's The Way It Is" and "Elvis On Tour".

It's a great show....but could've been better.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I love "Aloha From Hawaii"....but (and I don't mean to turn this into a debate so please don't take it that way) I think the show was way too "ballad-heavy" and we really didn't get to see the "rocking" side of Elvis as we did during "Elvis: That's The Way It Is" and "Elvis On Tour".

It's a great show....but could've been better.....

Hey Tony ,

Yes the show was full with ballads hehe, i agree, but that's not a bad thing ..according to me. He wanted to show his vocal ability, i think...and he did it right

It`s a long time since I`ve done it, but when I`ve had the time to watch DVD`s the whole day long, I always watch Aloha as the last one......hey, now you think it`s because I think it`s the least...he,he, but NO...simpely because after watching it, I always get that feeling...wow, nothing can be watched right after....love to enjoy that wow feeling for a while.

Elvisia

Backstage Pass
    I know many would disagree, but personally I don't find the Aloha from Hawaii amusing. I'm glad we have it on dvd and I watch it occasionally, but I think it is inferior to both TTWII and On Tour. Elvis is too much tense, forgets lyrics to some songs and is static on stage. Look at Elvis' face as he is to start the second line of 'Burning Love'. He is afraid he will mess up the lyrics like he did on the 12th at the rehearsal show. Ok - he was singing before a billion people via satellite - granted. But for me the show lacks energy.

I prefer a loose Elvis - joking, laughing with the band members and audience (if you hear many FTD releases you will notice this) than to have a structured show which is almost mechanical.

I actually think "What Now My Love" is one of the greatest performances he ever gave-the range involved is pretty wide and he nails the ending.

Aloha wasn't my favorite for the same reason Tony mentioned - I missed the lack of "Elvis" energy too. I did feel he looked wonderful though and when I think of that concert, the song that comes to mind is American Trilogy.

Diane

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    The original set list for Aloha would of been more of a rocking side of Elvis. I believe the changed set list was because of the fact of That's The Way It Is, Elvis On Tour and Madison Square Garden LP are rocking styles and really didn't feature the other sides of Elvis. They all featured a rocking side of Elvis. I believe he wanted to see if he can do a non rocking show and have a show that feature his many other sides of him. Think about this - Elvis sung many types of songs. Now he was going to be live via satillite so what better way to show the world there is more to him than a rocking side. He pulled it off beautifully too. I would say this is my favorite concert of them all.

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    It was a great concert but I think that this would have been a great list in my opinion.

1.) Intro- Also Sprach Zarathustra
    2.) See See Rider
    3.) I Got a Woman/ Amen
    4.) Thats All Right
    5.) Something
    6.) It's Impossible
    7.) Johnny B.
    8.) My Way
    9.) Burning Love
    10.) You Dont Have to Say You Love Me
    11.) The Wonder of You
    12.) Hound Dog
    13.) For The Good Times
    14.) Steamroller Blues
    15.) Teddy Bear
    16.) All Shook Up
    17.) Are You Lonesome Tonight?
    18.) An American Trilogy
    19.) Intros
    20.) I'll Remember You
    21.) Long Tall Sally/ Whole Lotta Shaking
    22.) Cant Help Falling in Love

That is the show that I would have liked to seen.
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

That`s a great song-list, but why the Intros nearly when the show is ending?
    I have always wondered that, why the Intros was at the end part of the shows in the 70`s, and not in the middle ?
    Taking Care of Business
    Til we meet you again, may God bless you, Adios.

I have to agree w/Tony as well.
    I did love the show, however, I much prefer TTWII.
    "It's Over" is my favorite out of the Aloha performances.

[QUOTE=my boy;138416]The Aloha concert is one of my all-tme favourites too.So many great songs it's hard to pick just one:"CC Rider","Burning Love","Steamroller Blues,""My Way,"" Love Me","American Trilogy" and "What Now My Love" are my favourites,the way Elvis opens up his voice at the end of each song on "Trilogy" and "What Now My Love" is mindblowing!

QUOTE]

I couldn't have said it any better!!!

"You can knock me down, step in my face,
    slander my name all over the place"
    - But don't YOU step on my blue suede shoes -

desiree

*You walk past me- I can feel your pain-Time changes everything -One truth always stays the same - You're still you - After all - You're still you *

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeeSeeRider777 View Post
    It was a great concert but I think that this would have been a great list in my opinion.

1.) Intro- Also Sprach Zarathustra
    2.) See See Rider
    3.) I Got a Woman/ Amen
    4.) Thats All Right
    5.) Something
    6.) It's Impossible
    7.) Johnny B.
    8.) My Way
    9.) Burning Love
    10.) You Dont Have to Say You Love Me
    11.) The Wonder of You
    12.) Hound Dog
    13.) For The Good Times
    14.) Steamroller Blues
    15.) Teddy Bear
    16.) All Shook Up
    17.) Are You Lonesome Tonight?
    18.) An American Trilogy
    19.) Intros
    20.) I'll Remember You
    21.) Long Tall Sally/ Whole Lotta Shaking
    22.) Cant Help Falling in Love

That is the show that I would have liked to seen.

The original set list for Aloha included songs like:
    I Got A Woman/Amen
    Polk Salad Annie
    Bridge Over Troubled Water
    Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel
    For The Good Times
    and a few others.

When I saw the songs that was originally going to be performed at Aloha I didn't like it too much. It was a basic list that you see during 1972. Yes, the concerts were great during that time but I think it was time for some change for the worldwide telecast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast