Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Grammy winning friend.. our convo ~

Cadillac King

My Grammy winning friend.. our convo ~

As some of you may know, I'm somewhat new to the world of Elvis. But what some of you may not know, is what inspired me to learn more about him. I owe that to my friend.. a multiple Grammy winner, whom I'll call Nash.

During today's conversation, I asked him if I could talk to him about a few people that I've been reading about lately. Being his usual sweet self, he was happy to oblige me. I then asked him if it was ok for me to share some of his impressions with you here.

I first asked him about J.D. Sumner, as they were quite close. He said that J.D. was a "funny, salty old dog with a great sense of humor". J.D. always spoke highly of Elvis and always said that Elvis was very generous to the band members and backup singers who worked with him.

In regards to Ann-Margaret, he said she was "absolutely delightful". He said she was wonderful and very sweet to him. In fact, when her name was misspelled on something they were working on for "Bye, Bye Birdie" he said she couldn't have been sweeter. He also said that she was very loyal to Elvis and only spoke about him with highest regard.

Nash has worked with Kathy Westmoreland for years. He doesn't speak as highly about her because he feels that she has a tendency to brag a bit too much. When he worked with her, she would make sure that everyone involved in the sessions knew that she was one of Elvis's close personal friends. Nash said "Elvis adored her" so I guess she had a bit of a reason to brag. Musically, Elvis gave her more credit than her contemporaries did who didn't feel her voice blended as well as some other singers. She did use to tell people that "Elvis wanted to marry me".

I asked him about Priscilla and he said that when he first met her, he was amazed at how beautiful she was. He said she was very polite and pleasant, but her beauty was incredible. He said, "your eyes would just focus on her".

I then asked Nash what he thought of Elvis. He said that he believes Elvis's true love was gospel. He said that when he would sit down at a piano, "he owned it". He would play if there were people in the room, or if it was entirely empty. He "felt spiritual".. "you could see it in his eyes". I then asked him why he thought Elvis became such a tremendous success and he said he felt it was rooted in his ability to freely express himself on stage.

Loving elvis
    Thanks so much for sharing that Vissie, l really enjoyed reading it.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    I second that...Of course I'm dying to know who your friend is, but whoever it is they seem to know what they're talking about.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Could your friends initials be- LG- just a guess. If its not give us the initials. Why would you not want us to know? We enjoy seeing the connections to famous folk

Cadillac King
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet View Post
    I second that...Of course I'm dying to know who your friend is, but whoever it is they seem to know what they're talking about.
    He's a great guy Lonnie He's older than I am (by many many years) so it's interesting to hear him talk about people and events that I've only read or heard about. He also mentioned that Leiber and Stoller (who pre-date Nash) were very well liked.

One time, while at Pat Boone's house with Priscilla, the topic of Elvis came up (as it was apt to do). He said everyone would instantly agree with one another on his generosity. It seems the King made a big impression on many people.

Cadillac King
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Could your friends initials be- LG- just a guess. If its not give us the initials. Why would you not want us to know? We enjoy seeing the connections to famous folk
    I respect my friend's privacy. I wouldn't have even made this post if I didn't have his permission to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Vissie View Post
    I respect my friend's privacy. I wouldn't have even made this post if I didn't have his permission to do so.
    Understand fully- thats an admirable quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Vissie View Post
    Vissie you are very nice to post this and also respect your friend's privacy. I hope you continue to post conversations with him....because I sure enjoy hearing your friends stories....maybe start the thread with: Stories from Nash......

Thanks for that story

Quote Originally Posted by ksimms2 View Post
    Vissie you are very nice to post this and also respect your friend's privacy. I hope you continue to post conversations with him....because I sure enjoy hearing your friends stories....maybe start the thread with: Stories from Nash......
    But also he shoud not fear us knowing who he is- that puzzles me? I would assume he has a reason for wanting to be unknown but it still puzzles me.

Loving elvis
    KPM somebody just doesn't want to be known, same as jennifer hodge didn't want to join this forum cause of people asking a thousands questions.

Hey Vissie,
    Thanks for the lovely story

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    KPM somebody just doesn't want to be known, same as jennifer hodge didn't want to join this forum cause of people asking a thousands questions.
    Its the mystery of it-who, why, why not, where-how come?

Loving elvis
    l agree with everything your saying,but its up to Vissie friend if he wants to be known.

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    l agree with everything your saying,but its up to Vissie friend if he wants to be known.
    Oh I agree with that I'm just naturally inquisitive.

I just loved hearing about all he had to say Vissie and although I too am curious as to who your friend is, I respect you for respecting his wish to stay anonymous.

I hope you think about what Jen had to say about starting a thread about things Nash has to say - with his permission. I think it's a great idea!

Diane

I am a little uneasy of stories in which the person won't come forward-its like the political unnamed source. But thats just me.

I am a little uneasy of stories in which the person won't come forward-its like the political unnamed source. But thats just me.
    To be honest i'm the same.No offense is meant Vissie because it was nice to read what you said.

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I just loved hearing about all he had to say Vissie and although I too am curious as to who your friend is, I respect you for respecting his wish to stay anonymous.

I hope you think about what Jen had to say about starting a thread about things Nash has to say - with his permission. I think it's a great idea!

Diane
    diane don't you mean kelly

Cadillac King
    I wanted to share our conversation with everyone here because it seems like Elvis, along with members of his family and entourage, have been a wee bit under the microscope here this week.

But KPM, I would be less than honest if I didn't say that your post has saddened me. I don't think I will be sharing any more stories. I really don't feel like I should be put into a position where I have to defend my friend and his right to remain anonymous. I'm sorry I said anything. I should've just kept it to myself.

For everyone else, I hope you enjoyed what he had to share.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast