Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: If You Heard It Straight From Elvis...

Quote Originally Posted by Vissie View Post
    Let me preface that my next comment is coming from the limited knowledge I have regarding his marriage (at this point).

I think Priscilla had a very good understanding about Elvis. And I'm talking about as far back as when they were both in Germany. She knew who he was and saw the excitement he generated throughout the population. Once she started visiting him in his German house, she was front-and-center and witnessed it for real. She came to learn how vulnerable he was. How lonely he could be. How sad he was and how lost he felt at times. She knew this in her heart.

I feel that she wanted him to marry her. She wanted to be the girl that Elvis chose. Her over millions of others. Imagine how that must've felt? We know from our own human nature that we want what others crave. He was Elvis. And, he was in love with her.

She comes to learn what he expects. He is clear about it. She agrees to change her looks to please him. She molds herself around him and secures her MRS title. Life is wonderful.

However, after some time, she realizes she isn't as accepting of his lifestyle as she was pre-MRS. He hasn't really changed. He is what he always was. But for her, she wants things to be different. She wants him to be different. She believes you can marry a cougar and change him into a kitten. However, she doesn't understand and realize he is stronger than she is. He isn't about to change.

She accepted him on the terms he gave her. She knew what she was getting into (imo). She gives birth to LM and Elvis embraces fatherhood the best way he knew how.

Now, I know this might upset some, but I disapprove of Priscilla reaching out to other men for comfort and compassion. It was wrong. If she was truly tired of her relationship with Elvis then she should have gone to him and asked for a divorce before cavorting. Then, I would feel that she did nothing wrong. I don't hold Elvis to the same criteria because he was what he was. He was a deceptive cad at times but .. that behavior was already on the table. It wasn't anything new. If Priscilla thought marriage was going to make him monogamous then she didn't really know him as a man. Again, he was what he was. He was a sex symbol to millions of women. He lived it. Does that make it right? Not really. But it was something that was already known about him.

I think Priscilla hurt Elvis badly. She knew his dark loneliness. She knew how hollow he felt at times and she exploited that by straying from him. Imo, she should have faced him, told him the truth and then moved on with her own life. Instead, she broke him. And I find that to be incredibly sad.
    Vissie...I agree 100% with you, except for the statement "she broke him". I think that his life, in general, was to blame for breaking Elvis...she just contributed her part. But you are right, IMO, in your perception of the situation. She knew BEFORE marriage what he was, what he expected, and how he lived his life. She waded into it, and then when she grew tired of it and had some 'insurance' (Lisa), she jumped out. And she did so in a most hurtful and embarassing way... After which, she publicly made comments about the differences between Elvis and Mike...which IMO, was like comparing night to day! But anyway...

My grandmother had a little saying that seems to fit a lot of marriages: "A woman goes into a marriage thinking she can change her man...A man goes into a marriage hoping his woman will stay the same". Sadlly, neither ever happens...

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

Loving elvis
    So what your saying its ok for elvis to cheat on priscilla, but if priscilla does she nothing but trash, well l beg to differ on that one.

Loving elvis
    to be quite honest queenie if l was priscilla l would of left along time ago instead of being alone all the time.

Cadillac King
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I know this don?t belong to this thread but now that you are talking about it I have 2 questions that just came to my mind.
    Wasn?t Elvis still dating Anita Wood when Priscilla?s parents let her went to visit him in the USA for the first time?
    And wasn?t the relationship between Elvis and Anita known by the press and talked about by that time?
    Anyone knows?
    Priscilla knew about Elvis' relationship with Anita and other girls (she found evidence in his room for starters) and she was asked about his other girls during a press conference in Germany. Anita wasn't the only girl he was seeing after he returned to the states (if I'm not mistaken).

Loving elvis
    Elvid had alot of girls on the go, and anita did know about priscilla when she found the letters.

Cadillac King
    Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    Vissie...I agree 100% with you, except for the statement "she broke him". I think that his life, in general, was to blame for breaking Elvis...she just contributed her part. But you are right, IMO, in your perception of the situation. She knew BEFORE marriage what he was, what he expected, and how he lived his life. She waded into it, and then when she grew tired of it and had some 'insurance' (Lisa), she jumped out. And she did so in a most hurtful and embarassing way... After which, she publicly made comments about the differences between Elvis and Mike...which IMO, was like comparing night to day! But anyway...

My grandmother had a little saying that seems to fit a lot of marriages: "A woman goes into a marriage thinking she can change her man...A man goes into a marriage hoping his woman will stay the same". Sadlly, neither ever happens...
    Just in my own opinion, I think she broke him.. especially in terms of trust. He had confided his inner most fears to her, she knew what his sensitive areas were. It was like, you know what I am.. do you accept me and agree to love me? She had a change of heart and hurt him deeply (again, imo).

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    to be quite honest queenie if l was priscilla l would of left along time ago instead of being alone all the time.
    Well Jen, if that is how you feel about it, then I respect that. But ask yourself this question: If you knew this BEFORE you married him, having been left behind on many occasions while he was filming, ect., would you have EVEN married him to begin with?

Loving elvis
    l disgree, but like queenie knows this is one thing l will disagree about and not find the same thoughts as yous but however l do respect your opinions,

I agree
    Well Jen, if that is how you feel about it, then I respect that. But ask yourself this question: If you knew this BEFORE you married him, having been left behind on many occasions while he was filming, ect., would you have EVEN married him to begin with?
    She was young and in love. Love is blind...

Loving elvis
    Once elvis cheated and made me look like a fool, thats me bags back and outer there.

Once elvis cheated and made me look like a fool, thats me bags back and outer there.

Right Jen! Most of us would not have signed on for a marriage after experiencing it before the fact.

I totally agree with your statement Vissie that Priscilla should have gone to Elvis and asked for a divorce if she was unhappy with him before she went out with other men. The fact that she did so behind his back tells me that she wasn't the "innocent" she's always claimed to be and that is one of the reasons I tend to believe a lot of things that were said about her in Child Bride.

I believe part of it was revenge because he was unfaithful to her but that still shows a side to her personality that she's always tried to suppress. And yes, I believe it was part of what "broke him" as something like that wasn't supposed to happen in his mind and the way he was brought up to believe in double-standards. I think it really threw him and shattered his faith in women.

Diane

Cadillac King
    Priscilla knew what his lifestyle was like (and all that it included). His cards were on the table. He didn't present her with a hidden agenda (at the time).

Now, let's say the drug use was carefully kept secret from her. She eventually learns about it and in her heart, she feels she cannot stand by and watch him slowly succumb to the ravaging effects the pills provide.

It was her decision to leave him. It was her life that was being compromised by living with him and his demons. However, the fault comes by her not telling him first. She owed him that much. Elvis, I love you but I can no longer live like this. She could have moved on with her life and left him to handle his own. You don't marry someone and then seek comfort and sex from another man. She knew how jealous he was and when she couldn't get his attention, she decided to indulge her own needs. That's fine, but tell him first.

I'm not saying he was an Angel. What I *am* saying is that his life was there for her to evaluate and accept.. before she married him.

Loving elvis
    l know from experince how loney woman can get with there man out on the road for months and weeks. I used to listern to my mom cry all the time while my dad was trucking and sleeping around but l mom stayed for 30 years trying to make it work, which it didn't, but thsi is the reason why l can't agree with any of yous on this matter.

My opinion considering all this and many other things already known is theirs was a marriage for convenience. He thought she was a silly little girl that would be always waiting for him at home no matter what and she pursued the Mrs Presley title even though she had put on with everything Elvis wanted.
    If not I can?t understand how she waited so little time to cheat on him after they married. I think she knew it was safer to do it after the marriage because Elvis would have kicked her *** in a second and find the perfect excuse for it if she had done it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I totally agree with your statement Vissie that Priscilla should have gone to Elvis and asked for a divorce if she was unhappy with him before she went out with other men. The fact that she did so behind his back tells me that she wasn't the "innocent" she's always claimed to be and that is one of the reasons I tend to believe a lot of things that were said about her in Child Bride.

I believe part of it was revenge because he was unfaithful to her but that still shows a side to her personality that she's always tried to suppress. And yes, I believe it was part of what "broke him" as something like that wasn't supposed to happen in his mind and the way he was brought up to believe in double-standards. I think it really threw him and shattered his faith in women.

Diane
    I love Elvis but.....

He was NOT fair at all...and obviously not a good husband. He was never supposed to be married, i think.
    Priscilla was just a little girl when they started dating and she was still very young when they got married too.
    I think he stayed faithful for a while, but then he started cheating on her again.
    She felt that and started cheating too, not like a revenge, but her needs weren't satisfied...imagine living and knowing that your husband is cheating all the time and he is hardly ever home with you??!
    I am not defending her...I just, try to put myself in her place.
    When she left him....he sure was hurt.
    He felt even more hurt when he realized that it's his mistake
    I think he loved her...

but I like them together...they had some happy times too

Marija

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by marijaep View Post
    I love Elvis but.....

He was NOT fair at all...and obviously not a good husband. He was never supposed to be married, i think.
    Priscilla was just a little girl when they started dating and she was still very young when they got married too.
    I think he stayed faithful for a while, but then he started cheating on her again.
    She felt that and started cheating too, not like a revenge, but her needs weren't satisfied...imagine living and knowing that your husband is cheating all the time and he is hardly ever home with you??!
    I am not defending her...I just, try to put myself in her place.
    When she left him....he sure was hurt.
    He felt even more hurt when he realized that it's his mistake
    I think he loved her...

but I like them together...they had some happy times too

Marija
    Thank you marija, that was very well put

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    My opinion considering all this and many other things already known is theirs was a marriage for convenience. He thought she was a silly little girl that would be always waiting for him at home no matter what and she pursued the Mrs Presley title even though she had put on with everything Elvis wanted.
    If not I can?t understand how she waited so little time to cheat on him after they married. I think she knew it was safer to do it after the marriage because Elvis would have kicked her *** in a second and find the perfect excuse for it if she had done it before.
    I agree Donut...makes perfect sense to me!

Cadillac King
    l know from experince how loney woman can get with there man out on the road for months and weeks. I used to listern to my mom cry all the time while my dad was trucking and sleeping around but l mom stayed for 30 years trying to make it work, which it didn't, but thsi is the reason why l can't agree with any of yous on this matter.
    Presley, do you feel you could be transferring your feelings of anger against your father to Elvis? It would be understandable.

However, in my mind, Elvis' situation was unique. He wasn't hiding his infidelity. She knew about it.

It would be like saying: Here is a puppy for you to buy. He comes with a leash, food bowl and blanket. He is brown. He is furry.

You buy the puppy and then realize.. he's brown. You thought you liked brown dogs but after thinking about it, you decide you don't. You go to return the puppy.

The owner says.. why are you returning the puppy? You go "because he's brown".

The owner looks at you and goes... but you already knew that.

There is a well-known fable that goes like this....

A young girl was trudging along a mountain path, trying to reach her grandmother's house. It was bitter cold, and the wind cut like a knife. When she was within sight of her destination, she heard a rustle at her feet.

Looking down, she saw a snake. Before she could move, the snake spoke to her. He said, "I am about to die. It is too cold for me up here, and I am freezing. There is no food in these mountains, and I am starving. Please put me under your coat and take me with you."

"No," replied the girl. "I know your kind. You are a rattlesnake. If I pick you up, you will bite me, and your bite is poisonous."

"No, no," said the snake. "If you help me, you will be my best friend. I will treat you differently."

The little girl sat down on a rock for a moment to rest and think things over. She looked at the beautiful markings on the snake and had to admit that it was the most beautiful snake she had ever seen.

Suddenly, she said, "I believe you. I will save you. All living things deserve to be treated with kindness."

The little girl reached over, put the snake gently under her coat and proceeded toward her grandmother's house.

Within a moment, she felt a sharp pain in her side. The snake had bitten her.

"How could you do this to me?" she cried. "You promised that you would not bite me, and I trusted you!"

"You knew what I was when you picked me up," hissed the snake as he slithered away.

Loving elvis
    elvis l do love with all my heart but he was far from perfect when it came to relationships. I turly believe what comes around goes around.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast