Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: If You Heard It Straight From Elvis...

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Anyway, he wouldn?t have to explain anything about his private life and I don?t think that many of those who have written books on him would have done it if he was alive and could defend himself.
    That's true Donut, they wouldn't have done it I'm sure...at least not a lot of it anyway. But now, after the fact, if there were something found of his that completely cut against the grain of the other stuff that has already been said by the others...how would you feel then? Just curious...

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

Cadillac King
    Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    Yes Vissie, it would have cleared the air on a lot of these debates, wouldn't it?
    Absolutely And imagine how interesting it would be! I'd love for the journal to be entirely candid. Like a very private diary that he shared his most intimate thoughts in. And then, graciously, he goes... "here, this is a gift to my many fans.. to the people who loved me".

Cadillac King
    If there were something found of his that completely cut against the grain of the other stuff that has already been said by the others...how would you feel then? Just curious...
    Queenie, give us an example, ok? Like what is something we tend to believe that might not be true at all? (This is a great thread!)

That's true Donut, they wouldn't have done it I'm sure...at least not a lot of it anyway. But now, after the fact, if there were something found of his that completely cut against the grain of the other stuff that has already been said by the others...how would you feel then? Just curious...
    I would change my mind of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Vissie View Post
    Queenie, give us an example, ok? Like what is something we tend to believe that might not be true at all? (This is a great thread!)
    Let's see... Well, it could be any number of things. His marriage...perhaps? The self-proclaimed title of "Elvis' Best Friend"...that Joe still touts to this day. It could be anything...ANYTHING...that is debatable among Elvis fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I would change my mind of course.

Thanks for your reply Donut. Just curious.

Cadillac King
    Let's see... Well, it could be any number of things. His marriage...perhaps? The self-proclaimed title of "Elvis' Best Friend"...that Joe still touts to this day. It could be anything...ANYTHING...that is debatable among Elvis fans.
    I have to admit, I really don't know anything about his marriage. On this particular subject, I've only read "Elvis & Me" so far (although I hope to persue other books). Do you feel he wasn't happy?

I also don't know much about his friends or entourage at this point. I did see that show that Joe did, but other than that, I don't know much about him. Do you feel he wasn't Elvis' best friend? Who would you say was closest to him?

You know...It would have been nice if they find a journal or something like that and I know that that would end all of the debates and finally we will know A PART of the truth.

But...I kind of don't want that to be published (if they ever find something like that), because I think Elvis was enough public....poor guy he didn't have a private life. Now, imagine publishing that thing(of course it depends what it contains) we will know MANY personal stuff...and I think I would feel guilty reading that, it would be just so wrong

Yes, i know that we would finally know the truth but I think that everyone should make a picture of Elvis (The Man, The Entertainer and his life) and just stay behind it...I hope i am clear. That's just my opinion

Hugs

Marija

I have to admit, I really don't know anything about his marriage. On this particular subject, I've only read "Elvis & Me" so far (although I hope to persue other books). Do you feel he wasn't happy?

I also don't know much about his friends or entourage at this point. I did see that show that Joe did, but other than that, I don't know much about him. Do you feel he wasn't Elvis' best friend? Who would you say was closest to him?

Wow...such deep questions this early in the morning...

I don't believe he was happy in his marriage. I know that he continually made comments about his marriage that would lead one to think that it was such. I once read that when asked about how he was looking really good, his reply was "That is what a bad marriage does for you". And it was commonly reported among the MM that he had made many statements about how he wished she would just leave, and such as that. (But of course, one must decide if they actually believe the MM or not...) It took Elvis a really long time to decide to get married. When Jerry Schilling married his first wife Sandy, Elvis contracted the wedding rings for he and Pris. But it was months later and he had not come to pick them up. When his jeweler asked him about this, he replied "I'm just not sure yet. I'm trying to decide if I want to do this or not"....so there were many doubts before hand I think. But hey...this is a matter of personal opinion as many will point out, I'm sure...

Joe... I think Joe and Elvis were tight at one time. But not always, as he claims. I don't really know who I would say was the "closest" to Elvis near the end. But I do know that Charlie Hodge remained loyal and faithful to Elvis till the end. Elvis thought a great deal of Charlie too. So, if I had to pick one from the original entourage, it would be Charlie I'd say. But again...pure speculation on my part...

Cadillac King
    Quote Originally Posted by marijaep View Post
    You know...It would have been nice if they find a journal or something like that and I know that that would end all of the debates and finally we will know A PART of the truth.

But...I kind of don't want that to be published (if they ever find something like that), because I think Elvis was enough public....poor guy he didn't have a private life. Now, imagine publishing that thing(of course it depends what it contains) we will know MANY personal stuff...and I think I would feel guilty reading that, it would be just so wrong

Yes, i know that we would finally know the truth but I think that everyone should make a picture of Elvis (The Man, The Entertainer and his life) and just stay behind it...I hope i am clear. That's just my opinion

Hugs

Marija
    But this is purely fantasy Marija And, as I said above, Elvis would graciously turn it over to his fans to read (heck, it *is* a fantasy!)

But this is purely fantasy Marija And, as I said above, Elvis would graciously turn it over to his fans to read (heck, it *is* a fantasy!)
    I know it's a fantasy Vissie .
    But imagine if Elvis wasn't writing it for the fans....but only making notes????

Marija

Hugs

Marija
    Hi Marija! Well, honey, that is what we do now...we pick a side of the fence, and jump off onto it. Of course, some straddle the fence from time to time, but for the most part, everyone usually has a preconceived notion 'about all things Elvis'.....

I don't believe he was happy in his marriage. I know that he continually made comments about his marriage that would lead one to think that it was such. I once read that when asked about how he was looking really good, his reply was "That is what a bad marriage does for you". And it was commonly reported among the MM that he had made many statements about how he wished she would just leave, and such as that. (But of course, one must decide if they actually believe the MM or not...) It took Elvis a really long time to decide to get married. When Jerry Schilling married his first wife Sandy, Elvis contracted the wedding rings for he and Pris. But it was months later and he had not come to pick them up. When his jeweler asked him about this, he replied "I'm just not sure yet. I'm trying to decide if I want to do this or not"....so there were many doubts before hand I think. But hey...this is a matter of personal opinion as many will point out, I'm sure...

Joe... I think Joe and Elvis were tight at one time. But not always, as he claims. I don't really know who I would say was the "closest" to Elvis near the end. But I do know that Charlie Hodge remained loyal and faithful to Elvis till the end. Elvis thought a great deal of Charlie too. So, if I had to pick one from the original entourage, it would be Charlie I'd say. But again...pure speculation on my part...
    Lea, I total agree with you on Charlie. I think he was Elvis' one true friend.....I also think Jerry Schilling was too....but he wasn't there alot toward the end because he was pursuing his own career...that's one of the reasons I like Jerry - he didn't want to be another "hanger on" like the other MM.....I don't particularly like Joe Esposito...don't have a particular reason for it....just something about him.....maybe his living off Elvis even still today.....

I think that very thing is what is such a turn-off to so many Kelly. I sure don't like it...but to each his own. Charlie was a good man. A kind hearted man. And he cared for Elvis very much.

Cadillac King

Just for the sake of conversation, why do you think he wanted her to leave? Or do you think he may have said something like that out of frustration? I heard that he tried to control her and other females in his life by putting them on a tight leash. Do you think he might have just been upset that she wasn't behaving the way he thought she should? Because didn't he continuously go out to CA and ask her to come back to him?

I've read good things about Charlie. It's nice to hear he was loyal to Elvis

Cadillac King
    I know it's a fantasy Vissie .
    But imagine if Elvis wasn't writing it for the fans....but only making notes????

Marija
    Then he wouldn't turn it over to the fans(?) What I'm saying is he gives his fans permission to step into his intimate thoughts. I'm talking about a fully authorized, endorsed journal or daily diary. Not something that someone finds and decides to publish.

Just for the sake of conversation, why do you think he wanted her to leave? Or do you think he may have said something like that out of frustration? I heard that he tried to control her and other females in his life by putting them on a tight leash. Do you think he might have just been upset that she wasn't behaving the way he thought she should? Because didn't he continuously go out to CA and ask her to come back to him?

I've read good things about Charlie. It's nice to hear he was loyal to Elvis
    Oh the agony!! lol... We are, even as we speak, opening this thread up for a lot of criticism...

Perhaps some of it was frustration. I don't presume to know everything about that. But I do NOT believe that he was constantly begging her back. Elvis was a person that liked to feel within his own element, if you will. He did'nt exactly embrace change...at least not in all area's. I think that Elvis was mostly upset, or so I've read, because she left him for Mike Stone. It was that fact that gaulled him. He was at a crossroads in his life...and I think that he wasn't really sure what he wanted most of the time. But Elvis seemed to want to revert back to a time in his life when he was in charge...the Pris years, I think, held that notion for him...and not necessarily for 'her' per say. Just my opinion...nothing more.

Then he wouldn't turn it over to the fans(?) What I'm saying is he gives his fans permission to step into his intimate thoughts. I'm talking about a fully authorized, endorsed journal or daily diary. Not something that someone finds and decides to publish.

We misunderstood each other Vissie
    All clear now

Cadillac King
    Oh the agony!! lol... We are, even as we speak, opening this thread up for a lot of criticism...

Perhaps some of it was frustration. I don't presume to know everything about that. But I do NOT believe that he was constantly begging her back. Elvis was a person that liked to feel within his own element, if you will. He did'nt exactly embrace change...at least not in all area's. I think that Elvis was mostly upset, or so I've read, because she left him for Mike Stone. It was that fact that gaulled him. He was at a crossroads in his life...and I think that he wasn't really sure what he wanted most of the time. But Elvis seemed to want to revert back to a time in his life when he was in charge...the Pris years, I think, held that notion for him...and not necessarily for 'her' per say. Just my opinion...nothing more.
    Let me preface that my next comment is coming from the limited knowledge I have regarding his marriage (at this point).

I think Priscilla had a very good understanding about Elvis. And I'm talking about as far back as when they were both in Germany. She knew who he was and saw the excitement he generated throughout the population. Once she started visiting him in his German house, she was front-and-center and witnessed it for real. She came to learn how vulnerable he was. How lonely he could be. How sad he was and how lost he felt at times. She knew this in her heart.

I feel that she wanted him to marry her. She wanted to be the girl that Elvis chose. Her over millions of others. Imagine how that must've felt? We know from our own human nature that we want what others crave. He was Elvis. And, he was in love with her.

She comes to learn what he expects. He is clear about it. She agrees to change her looks to please him. She molds herself around him and secures her MRS title. Life is wonderful.

However, after some time, she realizes she isn't as accepting of his lifestyle as she was pre-MRS. He hasn't really changed. He is what he always was. But for her, she wants things to be different. She wants him to be different. She believes you can marry a cougar and change him into a kitten. However, she doesn't understand and realize he is stronger than she is. He isn't about to change.

She accepted him on the terms he gave her. She knew what she was getting into (imo). She gives birth to LM and Elvis embraces fatherhood the best way he knew how.

Now, I know this might upset some, but I disapprove of Priscilla reaching out to other men for comfort and compassion. It was wrong. If she was truly tired of her relationship with Elvis then she should have gone to him and asked for a divorce before cavorting. Then, I would feel that she did nothing wrong. I don't hold Elvis to the same criteria because he was what he was. He was a deceptive cad at times but .. that behavior was already on the table. It wasn't anything new. If Priscilla thought marriage was going to make him monogamous then she didn't really know him as a man. Again, he was what he was. He was a sex symbol to millions of women. He lived it. Does that make it right? Not really. But it was something that was already known about him.

I think Priscilla hurt Elvis badly. She knew his dark loneliness. She knew how hollow he felt at times and she exploited that by straying from him. Imo, she should have faced him, told him the truth and then moved on with her own life. Instead, she broke him. And I find that to be incredibly sad.

I know this don?t belong to this thread but now that you are talking about it I have 2 questions that just came to my mind.
    Wasn?t Elvis still dating Anita Wood when Priscilla?s parents let her went to visit him in the USA for the first time?
    And wasn?t the relationship between Elvis and Anita known by the press and talked about by that time?
    Anyone knows?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast