Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In your opinion, do you think Elvis...

Cadillac King

In your opinion, do you think Elvis...

... was going to propose marriage to Ginger?

From what I've read so far, he did give her some sort of ring but hadn't actually proposed. Do you think he would've married her on Christmas Day, 1977 (that's what I've heard) ?

According to several sources (Klein, Hodge, Vernon, the jeweller who made the ring et al) Elvis did make a formal proposal to Ginger.

Charlie Hodge said he was there when it happened; as much as I doubt the story, there is no reason why he would have lied about it.

Other sources believe Elvis did no such thing. I'd suggest the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Elvis "talked of" marriage with Ginger, but probably never formally asked her.

And if the story of the Christmas Day wedding is true, I think Elvis would've been talked out of it like he was talked out of the "hit" on Mike Stone. In any case, I don't believe Ginger would have been around for long; Elvis would've soon realised she was way too young and that this aspect of his mid-life crisis was bordering on embarrassing.

Ginger is a nice girl and - like the MM - has come in for way too much unjustified criticism from "fans" over the years.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Accurately said Getlo.

Of all of the MM, I choose to put the most faith in what Charlie Hodge said. He seemed to be the most sincere, I think. I believe Elvis did propose to her, but whether or not the marriage would have happened is another thing. Who really knows what would have transpired?

I don't have a problem with Ginger. At least she has not reduced herself to having to continually draw upon her relationship with Elvis for her own personal financial gain. For that, she has my respect.

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

Cadillac King
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    According to several sources (Klein, Hodge, Vernon, the jeweller who made the ring et al) Elvis did make a formal proposal to Ginger.

Charlie Hodge said he was there when it happened; as much as I doubt the story, there is no reason why he would have lied about it.

Other sources believe Elvis did no such thing. I'd suggest the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Elvis "talked of" marriage with Ginger, but probably never formally asked her.

And if the story of the Christmas Day wedding is true, I think Elvis would've been talked out of it like he was talked out of the "hit" on Mike Stone. In any case, I don't believe Ginger would have been around for long; Elvis would've soon realised she was way too young and that this aspect of his mid-life crisis was bordering on embarrassing.

Ginger is a nice girl and - like the MM - has come in for way too much unjustified criticism from "fans" over the years.
    Thanks for sharing that Getlo. From the little bit I've read, it seems their relationship was somewhat stormy(?) I hope to learn more about her as I continue to read more books.

I often wonder if Elvis really would've married anyone else after Cilla. I think the majority of his heart always belonged to her (jmo).

Cadillac King
    Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    Accurately said Getlo.

Of all of the MM, I choose to put the most faith in what Charlie Hodge said. He seemed to be the most sincere, I think. I believe Elvis did propose to her, but whether or not the marriage would have happened is another thing. Who really knows what would have transpired?

I don't have a problem with Ginger. At least she has not reduced herself to having to continually draw upon her relationship with Elvis for her own personal financial gain. For that, she has my respect.
    It's true.. you rarely hear or see Ginger ~

At least she has not reduced herself to having to continually draw upon her relationship with Elvis for her own personal financial gain. For that, she has my respect.

Mine too.

She has led a very quiet, post-Elvis life (well into her fifties now!) and she always spoke highly of him in the few interviews she did.
    Last edited by Getlo; 09-11-2007 at 12:43 PM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Mine too.

She has led a very quiet, post Elvis life (well into her fifties now!) and she always spoke highly of him in the few interviews she did.
    Right Getlo...she has never said anything negative about Elvis. She seems to have loved him, as I am sure she did. I appreciate her loyalty to him. I'm sure she could have told some stories, some true and some fabricated, and who would have been the wiser? But she has maintained both her and Elvis' dignity. She is to be commended for that. Unlike others who have and still continue to live off of him. I have little respect for those people...they are "users" themselves.

I, personally, think Elvis was ill and half the time didn't know what he was doing.
    I don't like Ginger, i believe it is Linda who should have married Elvis. Ginger was young, very young, and naiive.

I do like the way she has kept her story to herself, much like Ann Margeret, but i am not a fan of hers.

Cadillac King
    Unlike others who have and still continue to live off of him. I have little respect for those people...they are "users" themselves.
    Like who Queenie? Can you share? I know there are people who wrote books about Elvis.. do you mean them?

Cadillac King
    Quote Originally Posted by Burning_Love View Post
    I, personally, think Elvis was ill and half the time didn't know what he was doing.
    I don't like Ginger, i believe it is Linda who should have married Elvis. Ginger was young, very young, and naiive.

I do like the way she has kept her story to herself, much like Ann Margeret, but i am not a fan of hers.
    I haven't read enough about either Linda or Ginger (just yet). Hopefully I'll be able to learn more about them soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vissie View Post
    Like who Queenie? Can you share? I know there are people who wrote books about Elvis.. do you mean them?
    Ahhh Vissie...this is opening up a can of worms, but I will answer you anyway...God help me...

Well, I feel that many have jumped at the chance to maintain a living off of his life and "supposed" memoirs from their time with him. I don't have a problem with someone putting out a book, if they try to do it tastefully, but some people have put out numerous things...just keeping the cash rolling in, and that is where I feel that they are using him. Many people fall into that category, and I think that it is obvious, without stating names, who they are.

Good thread, by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Burning_Love View Post

Danielle, I too think that Linda was really good for Elvis. I think that had he committed to her, he would have lasted longer.

Ginger was very young...a trophy I guess for Elvis. Not that he didn't care for her, because I'm sure he did, but the difference in their ages would have made a big difference in their relationship, had it lasted longer. And yes, she has tastefully resigned herself to privacy where Elvis is concerned, just like Ann has.

Cadillac King
    Ahhh Vissie...this is opening up a can of worms, but I will answer you anyway...God help me...

Well, I feel that many have jumped at the chance to maintain a living off of his life and "supposed" memoirs from their time with him. I don't have a problem with someone putting out a book, if they try to do it tastefully, but some people have put out numerous things...just keeping the cash rolling in, and that is where I feel that they are using him. Many people fall into that category, and I think that it is obvious, without stating names, who they are.

Good thread, by the way!
    Thanks for your reply Queenie, I truly appreciate it I'm relatively new to the world of Elvis so I don't really know much about his history regarding relationships with those who were around him (at least, not at this point.. but I am learning little by little). By obvious, do you mean someone like Joe Esposito? Or maybe one of his cousins?

Danielle, I too think that Linda was really good for Elvis. I think that had he committed to her, he would have lasted longer.

Ginger was very young...a trophy I guess for Elvis. Not that he didn't care for her, because I'm sure he did, but the difference in their ages would have made a big difference in their relationship, had it lasted longer. And yes, she has tastefully resigned herself to privacy where Elvis is concerned, just like Ann has.
    Ahh, yes, totally agree !!

Mine too.

She has led a very quiet, post-Elvis life (well into her fifties now!) and she always spoke highly of him in the few interviews she did.

Whoa..back up there, hoss. Ginger was only 20 when she began dating Elvis so that would not make her age today as being "well into her fifties". If I'm counting correctly she will (or already has) turned) 51.

And as far as Elvis "marrying" Ginger? If I'm not mistaken, she was on her way "out the door" right before the August 1977 tour that never took place for obvious reasons and I do not for one second believe that Elvis had any intention whatsoever of marrying her.
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 09-11-2007 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks for your reply Queenie, I truly appreciate it I'm relatively new to the world of Elvis so I don't really know much about his history regarding relationships with those who were around him (at least, not at this point.. but I am learning little by little). By obvious, do you mean someone like Joe Esposito? Or maybe one of his cousins?
    Well, yes, Joe for one. And as everyone on here probably knows by now, I'm not a big fan of Priscilla because of that very thing. But there were others too...not just those two.

And yes, you will learn more and more about him. But be careful, not everything that is written is true...

Well, yes, Joe for one. And as everyone on here probably knows by now, I'm not a big fan of Priscilla because of that very thing. But there were others too...not just those two.

And yes, you will learn more and more about him. But be careful, not everything that is written is true...

That's true....but (from my own experience as a fan and talking to other fans) some people will argue things that have been proven to be factual because they think they're correct.

Cadillac King

I have to admit, I really don't know much about Priscilla at this point. Are some books better than others when it comes to reading about her?

I agree that not everything written is true and I carefully parcel out what I read. For medical issues I go to my family. For song and music publishing, I go to one of my best friends (a multiple Grammy winner) who was close friends with many of the people Elvis recorded with like J.D. Sumner and others.
    Last edited by Vissie; 09-11-2007 at 04:28 PM.

I have to admit, I really don't know much about Priscilla at this point. Are some books better than others when it comes to reading about her?

I agree that not everything written is true and I carefully parcel out what I read. For medical issues I go to my family. For song and music publishing, I go to one of my best friends (a multiple Grammy winner) who was close friends with many of the people Elvis recorded with like J.D. Summer and others.
    To be really honest with you, I will have to say that people's opinions of the 'best books' to read, will vary (as Tony said earlier) by personal opinon of the person in question. I personally found "Child Bride" to be a realistic approach to Pris...but others would and will argue that point... I've read that book, as well as "Elvis and Me"...which I did not find to be a truthful approach in many ways. But there are books out there that offer a fair assesment of Elvis' life. You just have to take it all with a grain of salt, decipher and try to compare it with as many facts as you can dig up, and then make up your own mind. Not much help, but it's all that I can offer... If you haven't read any of Peter Guralnick's books, you may want to read them. I found them to be interesting.

Loving elvis
    you can't always believe what you read, but l can't say anything about priscilla cause unlike queenie l'am a fan, and have more faith in her than anything. As for ginger charlie wife said that elvis wasn't going to marry ginger he got caught up in the emotion at the time and trying to relive his past. Ginger had a boyfriend when she was with elvis, that doesn't sound like a woman in love with elvis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast