Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: being an Elvis fan

being an Elvis fan

Hi everyone
    I wanted to talk about how do you feel about being an Elvis fan today.
    When Elvis appeared in my life, it changed forever. My days are and never will be the same again. I have something (there are few other things too of course) that fulfills me and the feeling is fantastic. I never listened to this kind of music and never ever thought that i ever will. Now, i thank god that Elvis is here...except from the music, he helps me grow up and I think we all learn from some of his mistakes. That means that he takes a big role in my life and has a special part in my heart.

And hey, thanks to this site and Elvis I improve my English (the teacher is very satisfied lol) and I have made many good friends too

But, being an Elvis fan sure is a hard thing these days lol. Especially when you are at school lol (other young fans know what i mean lol).
    I am very scared from other people's reaction. That's the main reason why I keep Elvis as my little secret. I never tell if i am not asked lol. I know that I should be proud (and I am ) and that I shouldn't be ashamed of our man, but somehow i am.... I am scared that they will put an 'She's An Elvis Fan' mark on my forehead lol.
    As for my mum and dad....THEY JUST LOVE the fact that I listen to Elvis and we have no problems when it comes to that ...

I just wanted to see what others feel and think about Elvis playing a role in their lives.

Hugs to you all ,

Marija

Marija, don't be ashamed of being an Elvis fan. I do understand what you mean though, I am 40 yrs old and still deal with it. People make fun of me, my coworkers make fun of me, joking about how he "died on the toilet". Stuff like that hurts my feelings....I'm proud to be an Elvis fan and until they listen to his music, I mean really listen to it, they'll never understand. Elvis' controversial life (women/pills/etc.) does not change who he was as a performer and us fans know that and we don't hold it against him (Elvis).....that is what others don't understand. I, like you, have made wonderful friends on this site and I so appreciate every one of you. Finally someone I can discuss Elvis with, others who actually understand how I feel about him......

I have an Elvis purse, wallet and watch....that I wear/use everyday...so trust me....anybody who looks at me knows. I have a front license plate on my car and a back window bumper sticker! So.....if they don't like it.....tough!!! It's my choice and Elvis is who I choose! Amen!

Ahhh yes, Kelly and Marija...I too have suffered some of this "backlash" over being a devoted fan. I've been laughed at, called names (such as: fanatic, disciple of Elvis, ect.), but I don't let that bother me too much. It's a choice...to like him or not to like him. I don't mind that other people aren't "fans" in the way that I am, what I mind is that they seem to be so quick to label me because I love him so much. Sure, I know he had faults, and I recognize him for being human...just like the rest of us, but it seems that the world outside of his fans, cannot get past his faults long enough to see the real Elvis. He made such a contribution to music...it amazes me that he never really gets the credit he deserves sometimes...

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

Kelly and Queenie,
    Thank you for the nice replays...
    Kelly, i know what you mean : Him dying on the toilet is their favorite topic...
    And Queenie, you are totally right....I too, think that he doesn't really get the credit he deserves, because people usually always like the controversy more

Thanks again

well.. I have been a fan 5 months now (well.. the celebration is excactly tomorrow or coming night.. ) and I haven't talk about a beeing Elvs fan much to my friends. Just my mother know and a really good friend..
    but at work.. I have been a quiet about it. Nobody asked anything about it.. and I think no one can even think it or have a clue about it. but I have said there a few times that I have begun to listen Oldies noways and mention Elvis.. but it is really..well.. hard to say I LOVE HIM AND HIS MUSIC MOST I am a bit ashamed of talk about it . But if somebody will ask who do I like.. then I can mention Elvis but it hasn't happened yet... i will wait for that day..
    [CENTER]"The only time I can be me is when I walk through the door and lock it from the inside" -Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by yadee View Post
    well.. I have been a fan 5 months now (well.. the celebration is excactly tomorrow or coming night.. ) and I haven't talk about a beeing Elvs fan much to my friends. Just my mother know and a really good friend..
    but at work.. I have been a quiet about it. Nobody asked anything about it.. and I think no one can even think it or have a clue about it. but I have said there a few times that I have begun to listen Oldies noways and mention Elvis.. but it is really..well.. hard to say I LOVE HIM AND HIS MUSIC MOST I am a bit ashamed of talk about it . But if somebody will ask who do I like.. then I can mention Elvis but it hasn't happened yet... i will wait for that day..
    hehe, i know what you mean...
    Sometimes I feel like getting a microphone and shout how much I love him lol...and turn the speakers on high so everyone will be able to hear lol
    yay, have a nice day tomorrow Yadee (yade,yad,ya,y lol ) And thanks for the replay, it's nice to see what others think

TCB Mafia
    It's hard for me to keep it quiet as I have a couple of pictures up on my office wall for all to see and I blast his music all work day long.

Don't be ashamed to be an Elvis fan. Let people know, you will be surprised with how many people actually like his music or at the very least respect his contribution to culture and influence.

Sure, a few will TRY to make some fun, but I just tell them "everyone is an Elvis fan, just not everyone admits it. You are obviously one of the one's who don't admit it"

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    It's hard for me to keep it quiet as I have a couple of pictures up on my office wall for all to see and I blast his music all work day long.

Don't be ashamed to be an Elvis fan. Let people know, you will be surprised with how many people actually like his music or at the very least respect his contribution to culture and influence.

Sure, a few will TRY to make some fun, but I just tell them "everyone is an Elvis fan, just not everyone admits it. You are obviously one of the one's who don't admit it"
    I really hope you are right lol.
    You have come up with a very intelligent answer though

Hi Marija,

I can say that being an Elvis fan, has opened my eyes to things that never would before. I like older music and get on with older people other than people my age. I used to be ashamed of being an Elvis fan, people would say nasty comments. Now, they have grown up and i think have realised how they have been acting and now if somebody asks me my hobbies/music, i say straight away what it is....Elvis Presley.

He has matured me too, like i said i now mix with older people.
    I now wear just a little bit more make-up, i have better style, and i talk more maturely and look at life as if it is my last and make the most out of it, i laugh a bout the slightest thing. Also, i stick up for myself, my opinions and i am a much nicer person. Whereas when i was 13, i used to be a bit of a rebel, i used to drink (alcohol) a lot and rebel against my parents, now i would not even touch it or ever lie to my parents.

And i now know what in life i want to do, never ever have i considered being a web desginer, now i have my own website i want to be one. And yes, it is on Elvis whether anyone likes it or not.

And i am very glad that i am an Elvis fan, because if not, i wouldn't have friends like you, and others on here, and still would be undecided in which i want to do in my life.

I love Elvis with every inch of my heart, never will that change.

But Marija, Elvis too, is my best kept secret and i love the fact that it can be.

Thank you, thank you very much

Danielle xx

Quote Originally Posted by Burning_Love View Post
    Hi Marija,

I can say that being an Elvis fan, has opened my eyes to things that never would before. I like older music and get on with older people other than people my age. I used to be ashamed of being an Elvis fan, people would say nasty comments. Now, they have grown up and i think have realised how they have been acting and now if somebody asks me my hobbies/music, i say straight away what it is....Elvis Presley.

He has matured me too, like i said i now mix with older people.
    I now wear just a little bit more make-up, i have better style, and i talk more maturely and look at life as if it is my last and make the most out of it, i laugh a bout the slightest thing. Also, i stick up for myself, my opinions and i am a much nicer person. Whereas when i was 13, i used to be a bit of a rebel, i used to drink (alcohol) a lot and rebel against my parents, now i would not even touch it or ever lie to my parents.

And i now know what in life i want to do, never ever have i considered being a web desginer, now i have my own website i want to be one. And yes, it is on Elvis whether anyone likes it or not.

And i am very glad that i am an Elvis fan, because if not, i wouldn't have friends like you, and others on here, and still would be undecided in which i want to do in my life.

I love Elvis with every inch of my heart, never will that change.

But Marija, Elvis too, is my best kept secret and i love the fact that it can be.

Thank you, thank you very much

Danielle xx
    Awwwwwww, thanks for the thoughtful replay Danielle
    Yes, Elvis has changed my life too, isn't that amazing?
    And there's one thing that is amazing too ; He brings people together, even now, 30 years later
    I will be forever thankful for that . He makes my day each morning and i fall asleep with his music each night.
    It's sooo true, once you are hooked on Elvis, you are hooked on forever

Quote Originally Posted by marijaep View Post
    Awwwwwww, thanks for the thoughtful replay Danielle
    Yes, Elvis has changed my life too, isn't that amazing?
    And there's one thing that is amazing too ; He brings people together, even now, 30 years later
    I will be forever thankful for that . He makes my day each morning and i fall asleep with his music each night.
    It's sooo true, once you are hooked on Elvis, you are hooked on forever
    Great Answer

hehe, i know what you mean...
    Sometimes I feel like getting a microphone and shout how much I love him lol...and turn the speakers on high so everyone will be able to hear lol
    yay, have a nice day tomorrow Yadee (yade,yad,ya,y lol ) And thanks for the replay, it's nice to see what others think
    I was thinking the same.. to take a microphone and shout it to everyone. I was close to write it to my post but I deleted it
    Elvis fans are thinking the same way

yes.. I will celebrate it tomorrow but I do it at work..
    [CENTER]"The only time I can be me is when I walk through the door and lock it from the inside" -Elvis

I was thinking the same.. to take a microphone and shout it to everyone. I was close to write it to my post but I deleted it
    Elvis fans are thinking the same way

yes.. I will celebrate it tomorrow but I do it at work..

Tomorrow, at work, with a microphone lol.....Deal ?

Tomorrow, at work, with a microphone lol.....Deal ?
    oh yes.. I will shout to people that I have been a fan of Elvis 5 months
    no no.. no deal I have no plans tomorrow yet.. maybe I could just listen toElvis whole day..

By the way, I think Elvis has changed my life a lot.. he has brought a sun to my dark and boring life. I was so depressed and sad the whole spring because I lost my father.. and I am happy that I discovered Elvis. Now there has been more light in my life.. and Elvis has a big part in my life!

oh yes.. I will shout to people that I have been a fan of Elvis 5 months
    no no.. no deal I have no plans tomorrow yet.. maybe I could just listen toElvis whole day..

By the way, I think Elvis has changed my life a lot.. he has brought a sun to my dark and boring life. I was so depressed and sad the whole spring because I lost my father.. and I am happy that I discovered Elvis. Now there has been more light in my life.. and Elvis has a big part in my life!

Jatta...I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I'm glad that you're an Elvis fan, and that his music has helped to brighten your grief somewhat. God bless...

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

I think that Elvis brings out the good in his fans. His music certainly cheers me up when I'm depressed. I've never been ashamed to say I love Elvis. Everyone who I work with all know how big an Elvis fan I am and none of them put him down, in fact they like certain songs of his.
    I know it can be hard, but never be ashamed to call yourself an Elvis fan -after all what is wrong with loving the greatest singer the world has ever known.
    ELVIS THE KING - TODAY TOMORROW & FOREVER

I have pretty much been an Elvis fan all of my life! I was born into it over 40 years ago. I have never had a problem letting anyone know that I'm an Elvis fan. My M.O. is..."To know me is to know I'm an Elvis fan". Seriously. If people don't like it, too bad. I've got an Elvis credit card, Elvis checks, and an Elvis license plate on my car.

For the most part, people don't make fun of it. A lot of people who know I like Elvis also like Elvis which is nice. Last month on the 16th, I had co workers coming up to me and saying "Happy Elvis Day" or "I'm sorry Elvis is dead" almost like it's a birthday (well, they kind of aren't sure what to say to me since it's the anniversary of his death), but most people are kind about it. There are always those who have to give their two cents where I may not agree with them, but that's what makes the world go around. Not everyone is going to love Elvis the way I do. And that's okay. Because I like Elvis enough for those people who don't! There are people at work who will stop me and say, "Oh, I thought of you last night because Elvis was on tv...." or "I saw an Elvis poster at such-and-such store and wanted to let you know about it". I have had people at work actually give me Elvis stuff! One lady bought me an Elvis DVD at the Dollar Tree Store (hey, it's the thought that counts!) and another girl who knew I liked Elvis gave me a coffee table book! I don't know. It makes me feel good that people would associate me with Elvis.

I have no problem expressing my adoration for the man. I've done it all my life and I'm not about to stop now. I've put up with a few people's negativity, but for the most part, it's all been good.

You know Elvis is the best so just embrace it. It will be worth the one or two bad things you have to put up with when you find someone else who also likes Elvis! Being an Elvis fan is not a guilty pleasure!

Having grown up with Elvis, he was always a part of my life so when he died, he left quite a hole.....he was part of the family for me like most of his other fans.

Not many have put him down to me and when they did, I told them they didn't know what they were missing. Once in a while I will get that knowing smile from someone who thinks I might be an Elvis fanatic. I just let them think what they will as if that's what they want to believe, they'll believe it no matter what I say.

I'm just grateful that his music, movies and stage performances are still out there to see and when I listen to him, I forget he's not still with us....except for the last concert special.....that one does just the opposite but he makes me proud that he showed he could present himself to the public knowing full well the criticism that would follow, and he did it with dignity and gave the world another great performance.

Diane

Hear, Hear!! I'm one of the greatest Original Elvis Fan! Everybody at work knows that I am CRAZY for Elvis! First, they would jok about it, but later leaves me alone. I have my Rights! I have been an Elvis fan since I was 9 years old in 1973 and still am today!!

Marija,

I too am afraid of other people's reactions. Like at school no one besides my friends know im an elvis fan. I have 3 Elvis purses that i dont carry to school for that reason. I dont know its kinda stupid for me or anyone to feel this way because like you said we shouldnt be ashamed of our man lol. Just wanted to say that im going through it too...your not alone!

Sarah
    "Its An Elvis Thing Man, You Just Wouldn't Understand"

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...loveselvis.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast