Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memphis City Official wants to move Elvis to the Pyramid?

Memphis City Official wants to move Elvis to the Pyramid?

I just saw this online and thought it was crazy when I read the part about movin Elvis' grave to an all Elvis attraction inside the Pyramid.

And some of yall thought the expansion plans for Graceland were bad...LMBAO.

BTW....this will never happen, but it's funny to imagine how many Elvis fans will write EPE now complainin about this.

I highlighted the part about Elvis and Graceland and movin Elvis to the Pyramid.

Two challengers vie to unseat incumbent on new-look City Council
    By Jody Callahan (Contact)
    Sunday, September 9, 2007

As Myron Lowery seeks his fifth term on the City Council, two candidates hope to unseat him and join the ranks of first-termers who will hold most of the council seats.

Lowery, first elected in 1991, is being opposed for the Super District 8 Position 3 seat by Del Gill, a retired engineer, and Toni Strong, a bookkeeper.

Lowery, 60, said his experience would be essential, since seven council veterans have chosen not to run for re-election.

"That's a lot of years experience that will have left the council. I think new members and the public will be looking toward those who've had some experience dealing with all aspects of city government. They will look to them for advice and leadership," said Lowery, a FedEx employee as well as a member of the Memphis Charter Commission.

All three candidates completed a standard questionnaire from The Commercial Appeal, revealing details about their plans should they win office.

Lowery believes the most important thing facing the council is to restore public trust in the body, which has had two members indicted on corruption charges.

"With all the investigations that have gone on, people are becoming more cynical about their elected officials," he said. "What we have to do is reassure them that everyone can't be painted with a broad brush."

Lowery said he favored city-county government consolidation while opposing, at least for now, a new football stadium for the city. He also said he believes the council's ethics ordinance, adopted this year, is adequate.

For Gill, 57, the city's salvation lies with Elvis Presley. In his comments, Gill repeatedly pushed a plan to "grow an animated community" around Graceland.

"I believe the biomed project, Downtown development and the distribution industry at the airport are important, but I don't think they will make the quantum change in quality of life for the broader community that the Elvis Presley project could," said Gill, who has run for numerous offices in the last two decades.

In addition, Gill wants to see The Pyramid turned into an "All Elvis, all the time" attraction, including moving The King's body to the facility.

Gill also advocated an end to speeding citations except for school zones or community areas, calling it a "cost-ineffective activity."

"I further believe these changes would promote a greater respect for the 'law' versus viewing the police as 'us vs. them,' " he said. "You can't hire enough cops if the people don't respect the law."

Strong, 50, favors a payroll tax while eliminating the sales tax on food and property as well as the wheel tax.

"As a grassroots activist, I have worked with residents along with city, state and national elected officials on many issues," Strong said.

"I am also familiar with the process of city planning, project implementation and budgeting strategies."

Strong favors renovation of the Liberty Bowl while adding a theme park to the Mid-South Fairgrounds and also advocates a citizen review board to oversee the city's new ethics ordinance.

-- Jody Callahan: 529-6531

how daring!!!now I can say I've told you, once that improvement s.it starts, there's no limit in ugly ideas could come from every s..t head ..hope his daughter will be around for a long time so at least Elvis could be in his home for some more time..I can only trust her on that..I hate that news coming from the city..hell with'em all..
    Last edited by 4THEHEART; 09-10-2007 at 02:57 PM.

There's no need to get so upset 'bout this cuz it ain't gonna happen....Elvis will lie at rest at Graceland forever.

it's enough for me to get upset or have a heart attack just to imagine someone dared to speak of such a miserable idea..

ITA, Tony. There aint no way Lisa would ever allow them to move or touch Elvis' grave.

But I do like the idea of an All Elvis all the time attraction at the Pyramid. It's been proposed before in the past year and once a topic on talk radio here.

But would it work? The restaurant/club flopped because of lack of interest in downtown.

But that was also before Memphis began to upgrade that area. The Forum's there now, and hotels and condos are goin up everyday.

How Do You Know Elvis Will Still Be There?i Am Upset And I Know Alot Of Fans Are Too.once They Start Expanding,moving And Ect,ect.where Is Lisa?does She Has Any Saying On This?does She Cares?
    "Man,I just work here"
    EP 1968 ComaBack

Quote Originally Posted by 4THEHEART View Post
    it's enough for me to get upset or have a heart attack just to imagine someone dared to speak of such a miserable idea..
    i FEEL THE SAME WAY YOU DO.WHY CAN THEY JUST LET HIM REST.
    BUT WAIT AND SEE...IS NOT GOING TO WORK
    "Man,I just work here"
    EP 1968 ComaBack

Dont be so sure that wouldnt happen... Lisa is not the say all anymore over EPE. I see alot of differences in Graceland already that I NEVER thought I would see. The Elvis Tribute Artist contest is one of them. Moving Elvis' body is really a insane idea though. I wouldn't put anything past Lisa or Priscilla. The problem is they try to treat Elvis like Mickey Mouse. He is not an "attraction" he is a person.
    She's a complicated lady so color my baby, Moody Blue

OMG....some fans are way too sensitive about these issues.

They aint gonna move him....chill.

Dont think anyone is being sensitive but this is a reason for a discussion otherwise you wouldnt have posted it. And whether they do or dont move him which I agree they probably wont someone with some authority thinks that would be a good idea. That in itself is a scary thought.
    She's a complicated lady so color my baby, Moody Blue

yes I am sensitive about Elvis Lakeisha..and the respect he deserves..
    you're right on that tribute artist BS ,Moodyblue..but I don't believe they could take Elvis out of his home as long as Lisa's around..yet not sure of some other dangerous changes..

I know it's a point of discussion. i aint questionin that.

I'm just sayin it aint worth gettin all upset over.

I only posted it because I thought it was hilarious.

those who throw such bright ideas around,should know real Elvis fans can't even smile to this..

TCB Mafia
    The sky is falling.

they aren't going to move Elvis, I'm sure Lakeisha posted it to show how ridiculous it is....moving him would be the biggest mistake of all....

Ksimms, you're right about that. It was ridiculous.

First of all, the state would have to OK a move of a grave from a private lot to a public building, and that aint gonna happen with Elvis or anybody.

Second, the Pyramid would work as an Elvis world attraction, but what about Graceland?Would Sillerman reconsider his plans to build all his new attractions and museums inside the Pyramid? I doubt it.

Third, IMO, I think an Elvis museum like that of the Liberace museum in Las Vegas, near Sun and Beale, would be a great idea, and would attract more Elvis fans to other downtown attractions. I've heard this mentioned quite a bit as well. They could have Graceland as the main historic attraction and have a mega museum as the tourist attraction in downtown, with the other Elvis connections nearby.

Fourth, an Elvis restaurant/club like the former Beale Street club would be great now that so much has happened in the area. It would be more successful now than it was then.

Lastly, this was just some BS thrown out there by a man hopin to get a seat on the city council, and this aint the way to do it by degrading the city's #1 son.

Well, I hate to say I told you so...but.... Ok kiddy's let's review...:

Sillerman owns 85% now, right? That means that Lisa only owns a whopping 15%...WOW! And God only knows what provisions were or were NOT written in the contract of the sale....soooo...unless there is stipulation in there for the grave NOT to be bothered, someone might end up with a little egg on their faces...
    With all of the hype surrounding this big idea to launch a theme park and blah, blah, blah...does this surprise anyone??? You know, it is sickening to even think that elected officials would try to pull votes from something as personal as a resting place. But then again, this is ELVIS, and he is always a sure bet for making some money......and since Memphis obviously feels that they need a major upgrade, who knows what they will try to pull off?

All I have left to say is that I think it is a degradation to Elvis and his legacy. And as a true fan, it sickens me. Whether or not this idea ever gets off of the ground, it is a grim reminder of what "bigger and better" could actually mean. Ain't it grand??????

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

Y'all are forgetting one little tiny tidbit of information in all this mess....

Sillerman does not own the mansion, Graceland, itself! That's Lisa's and Lisa's alone. It (and Elvis's final resting place) can't and won't be touched.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Y'all are forgetting one little tiny tidbit of information in all this mess....
    Sillerman does not own the mansion, Graceland, itself! That's Lisa's and Lisa's alone. It (and Elvis's final resting place) can't and won't be touched.
    Tony, I certainly hope you are right...

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    Tony, I certainly hope you are right...

I know I'm right. Sillerman didn't buy Graceland itself--it is and always will be Lisa's to own forever. He only bought the "name and likeness" of Elvis Presley. The mansion cannot and will not be touched because:

1. It is on the National Registry Of Historic Places

2. Graceland was designated a National Landmark last year.

Under federal rulings regarding these designations, there cannot be and will not be any alterations done to the mansion itself nor the surroundings around it. Now, outside of the mansion (beyond the gates) may be a different story but Graceland itself cannot be touched at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast