Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: being an Elvis fan

Sarah, and Marija...

It is understandable to "fear" the reaction to being an Elvis fan...but girls, be proud that you are! Elvis made major contributions to music history. Not that he originated rock'n'roll...but he created a style of rock that was all his own, IMO. He was awesome! And even though you may not want to shout it from the rooftops right now, there will come a day when you will proudly proclaim it! And in the meantime, take heart, you girls are not alone... Lots of people love Elvis...

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    Sarah, and Marija...

It is understandable to "fear" the reaction to being an Elvis fan...but girls, be proud that you are! Elvis made major contributions to music history. Not that he originated rock'n'roll...but he created a style of rock that was all his own, IMO. He was awesome! And even though you may not want to shout it from the rooftops right now, there will come a day when you will proudly proclaim it! And in the meantime, take heart, you girls are not alone... Lots of people love Elvis...
    Thanks alot...you always know the right things to say!

Sarah

PS: Ive never told anyone about that...all you guys are so nice and welcoming!!! thank you!
    "Its An Elvis Thing Man, You Just Wouldn't Understand"

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...loveselvis.gif

Quote Originally Posted by ElvisChick View Post
    Thanks alot...you always know the right things to say!

Sarah

PS: Ive never told anyone about that...all you guys are so nice and welcoming!!! thank you!
    I don't always know the right things to say...I'm just getting old!

I have been an Elvis fan almost all my life and never ever denied being one because It will be a sin to do so as a true fan. Just like the saying: If you are not a fan, you need a lot of explaining to do but if you are no explanation is needed. When I became a fan when I was 9 years old , I really felt it is the wisest thing to do becoming a fan that time. I can feel then even I was that young that ELVIS was unique and mystical. He has the charisma that touch the passion of both female and male, the very first one to do so. Fans like us should always remember that the guy is an ordinary human being and possess no super power but his sheer talents , charisma and look. Just like us, he is capable of doing positive and negative things because no one in this world is perfect.
    We should look up to him an an entertainer, singer, actor, father, husband but most of all
    a human being with weaknesses. His private life should not be the subject of any debates or arguments and no matter how hard lots of people dwell into it purposely for their vested interest because of Elvis status. It's an undenying fact that Elvis made almost all of his detractors earned lots of money for successfully scrutinizing every little fibers of his private life, that is how you attract attention and get paid for. Whether the authorities concerned acknowledge his contributions and achievements or not,, we should not feel sorry and sad about it. In my personal opinion Elvis and all his fans got nothing left to prove because history speaks for itself. Let those unbelievers contest that for their personal satisfaction but nothing can dispute who ELVIS is. I always dare a challenge to anyone who question his status to bring up ANYBODY who can surpass or even equal his achievements and if they can do that, I told them I will burn all my Elvis collections and denounce him (an impossible feat indeed for them) Be proud and be counted as an ELVIS fan because we are very lucky to be followers of the GREATEST, the BEST, and the one of kind person ELVIS. The best argument you can put up to those who try to put him down is ask the question why after so many decades the name ELVIS still very much around bigger than ever. I need not enumerates a lot of great things about him that made him outshine even the brightest star of today. Why will more than 85,000 ETA's waste their time doing their thing? Isn't it telling those unbelievers something to think about?
    I am a fan and will die a fan. Just like I used to say, that there were only two (2) comings in this world, Jesus Christ and Elvis. Amen

elvismusiccat1

being an elvis fan

hello friends: hope everyone enjoyed a great summer. hard to believe it is september already and the kids are back in school.

i am enjoying this thread regarding, "being an elvis fan."

this is difficult to explain to people whom are not familiar with elvis as an elvis fan would be.

elvis was an education for me with regard to popular music. shortly after i purchased my first recordings of elvis (for our younger readers, my first purchases were on vinyl long players, ie. 33 1/3 rpm.) i ventured to our local public library to look up the original artists and the songwriters. i recall my initial amazement of the wide scope of music elvis covered. of course, i did not learn of elvis "personal" taste in music and all the details until after his passing. you know, the tidal wave of print matter that became available on the market.

elvis the performer: to this day i honestly cannot place a finger on the one solid reason what draws me to his 1968 - 1977 period. i simply enjoy watching him. and as we all know, the internet, is fabulous for enjoying video and still photos taken by the millions of fans. love it love it love it

i guess i am not offering a new revelation to being an elvis fan here, because you all know what i mean, thanks for the privilege of sharing my thoughts with you. peace and love to everyone.
    Last edited by elvismusiccat1; 09-09-2007 at 09:29 PM. Reason: grammar, spelling, you know, the usual

Backstage Pass
    I have been an Elvis fan for 21 years now, have all his albums, etc. I think that some people's mockery reaction occurs because for a long time Elvis was portraited as a saint and the stories about pills etc were denied by the hardcore fans. Eventually, the truth sufaced and these stories cannot be denied anymore. Elvis was human with his weaknesses, fears and vices like anybody else. So I guess that's why they make fun of Elvis' fans. It's like - "You see he was no saint after all!"

Furthermore, I think it is important to have other musical interests besides Elvis. It helps you keep an open mind and be able to be critical where necessary. I remember an Elvis fanatic saying that all Elvis songs are excellent, all shows were great and he was a walking saint. These comments will not do good to the image of an Elvis fan.

I love being an Elvis fan! His voice and his music is great! I also like meeting other fans. All the ones I've met so far have been nice and I have became friends with some of them. I think I've rubbed off on people. My friend is now a fan of his, my mom is a part of the Elvis insiders and went to Graceland with us last year. She had a blast!

I'm not ashamed of people finding out that I'm a Elvis fan. When I wear tees that have his pictures on them people made comments about them but they were always nice comments. This one guy even got my attention just to give me a thumbs up about it! It's just too bad that I wasn't born a few years earlier so I could have seen him live.

Hello again everyone
    It's nice to see that there are many replays on this thread and that people enjoy it.
    All those thoughtful replays showing your love for Elvis...amazing...Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

lol, well....I wore my Elvis badge on my bag while i was on school today! lol
    And, there weren't many bad reactions There were two guys who said bad stuff lol. The first one said : He stole the black people music and the other one commented : That's just....so old!!! lol
    And I said; Well guys...hehe, that's me ! And i love the man lol
    I feel better now

So, Sarah, don't be afraid or ashamed to tell anyone now...and wear those bags!

to ya all,

Marija

Junior Member Rock-a-hulababygirl's Avatar

Cool What a great heritage we have in Elvis.

Hi all,

Anyone who makes fun of me for loving Elvis I stick it up em' where it hurts the most..ha..ha..(I'm kidding!)Having said that, I do get defensive and protective over my favourite idol and regardless what others think of Elvis I still keep my head held high ,because deep down I know he is still reigning as the "King of rock and roll" .30 years since his passing, Elvis is still rocking the house!

I am only 27 years old, and fortunate to have parents who adored Elvis's music.From an early age Elvis's influence was already there.

I am a self taught guitarist for over 15 years now, and Elvis, through his music was definitely my mentor (particularly the very early Elvis music).Due to the diversity of his sound (ie Rock and Roll,Blues,R&B,Country,Gospel and Ballads alike)I was able to create my own style of playing.Elvis was the fire that ignited my passion for music.

When I am in my car I have Elvis blasting out of my speakers.My favourite song to drive to is a toss between Little Sister (love the guitar riffs on that)and Lawdy Miss Clawdy.I also have a couple of bumper stickers on the back, and on a few occassions I have over heard people walk pass and call out "Thank you- Thank you very much". I realised regardless wether people are fans or not Elvis still affects them either one way or another.But we the fans have Elvis, the precious treasure to behold in hearts forever and ever.

Elvis Presley is a force to be reckoned with wether dead or alive.He's left us with such a huge legacy that, I believe, may take a life-time to explore, Which I have made the decision to take the opportunity to ride this roller coaster of wonder -The world of Elvis Presley~~~~Oh what a joy...I can't hardly wait!!

Backstage Pass lawdy_missclawdy's Avatar
    Well, when I first became an Elvis fan, and got it out to people, it was amazing. I felt so good about myself, and I had my father who supported me, and a huge Elvis fan as well. My father and I were like ying and yang. Best friends ever. We also planned a big trip to Memphis, when he suddenly died six months ago. 42 years old, same mysterical way as Elvis.

Now Elvis is a huge secret to me. My family associates Elvis with my father, so I also listen to Elvis on my mp3, because I don't wanna upset them and make them sad. And I just started a new school, and I know what hell I went through with my last school. When they first found out I was a fan, they would stop in the cafeteria, pointing fingers at me. But they accepted it, and it was all good.

Now I'm afraid the same thing will happen to me in my new school. That they'll have trouble accepting it. Plus I have to hide Elvis from my closest family as well. It makes me so sad, because I love Elvis so much.

I had trouble listening to Elvis as well after my father died. Every song reminded me of the good times we had. But me and my family decided to go to Memphis anyway, because that was his biggest wish in life. I wanted him to see Graceland through my eyes. We had a really nice time, but it was also very emotionel. I was mourning not only over Elvis, but also my beloved dad.

And after the time in Memphis, I realized that my love for Elvis just kept growing, and now I, once again, can't go through a day without listening to his music. Now I just feel that I have to do it secretly.

This was really hard for me to write, but Elvis-friends, you're all I really have in my love for Elvis. I hope that my story didn't scare you away. I sometimes compare myself to Lisa Marie. She lost her father in a young age as well. Even though she's a lot older than me now, I still knows how she feels when I see interviews with her, or when I see her duets with Elvis.

Thanks for reading.
    "It is no secret what God can do,
    and I believe there will be peace in the valley some day,
    so take my hand, precious lord, lead me and guide me."

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l4...is/twoebut.gif Please visit (:

Quote Originally Posted by marijaep View Post
    Hi everyone
    I wanted to talk about how do you feel about being an Elvis fan today.
    When Elvis appeared in my life, it changed forever. My days are and never will be the same again. I have something (there are few other things too of course) that fulfills me and the feeling is fantastic. I never listened to this kind of music and never ever thought that i ever will. Now, i thank god that Elvis is here...except from the music, he helps me grow up and I think we all learn from some of his mistakes. That means that he takes a big role in my life and has a special part in my heart.

And hey, thanks to this site and Elvis I improve my English (the teacher is very satisfied lol) and I have made many good friends too

But, being an Elvis fan sure is a hard thing these days lol. Especially when you are at school lol (other young fans know what i mean lol).
    I am very scared from other people's reaction. That's the main reason why I keep Elvis as my little secret. I never tell if i am not asked lol. I know that I should be proud (and I am ) and that I shouldn't be ashamed of our man, but somehow i am.... I am scared that they will put an 'She's An Elvis Fan' mark on my forehead lol.
    As for my mum and dad....THEY JUST LOVE the fact that I listen to Elvis and we have no problems when it comes to that ...

I just wanted to see what others feel and think about Elvis playing a role in their lives.

Hugs to you all ,

Marija

i understand completely what you mean (being a younger fan myself lol) i've recently started 6th form and to be honest i couldn't care less what others thought. The rubbish they listen to today .. and they have the cheek to insult MY music taste ... tsk tsk ... i have 2 folders for my lessons and both have elvis pictures on them, along with an elvis pencil case ... people have labelled me as an Elvis Fan and i am proud to be one. just remember:
    "those who matter don't mind, those who mind don't matter" thats my philosophy anyway

yes there are always people who say "he died on the toilet" or "his music sucks" .. but i tend to ignore them, because for the latter, Elvis has contibuted more to music than 1977 onwards in my opinion! 2 people that really matter to me at school have nothing against my slight elvis obsession, in fact one of them likes elvis too (but not to my extent)

i thought i was completely alone in liking Elvis (at our school), but then Danielle said she did too so its all good
    Last edited by Jailhouse-Rocker; 09-11-2007 at 12:18 PM.
    I've got those hup, two, three, four, occupation G.I. Blues, From my G.I. hair to the heels of my G.I. shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse-Rocker View Post
    i understand completely what you mean (being a younger fan myself lol) i've recently started 6th form and to be honest i couldn't care less what others thought. The rubbish they listen to today .. and they have the cheek to insult MY music taste ... tsk tsk ... i have 2 folders for my lessons and both have elvis pictures on them, along with an elvis pencil case ... people have labelled me as an Elvis Fan and i am proud to be one. just remember:
    "those who matter don't mind, those who mind don't matter" thats my philosophy anyway
    *cough cough* I printed those *cough cough*

LOL !!

Yeah Em, you are the only one i know who is as open about liking Elvis - our age !!

Quote Originally Posted by Burning_Love View Post

LOL !!

Yeah Em, you are the only one i know who is as open about liking Elvis - our age !!

whey! lol yes you did and i thankyou for printing them! everyone keeps looking at them and laughing and going "i take it you like elvis?" some people are a bit harsher but i really don't care anymore!

same with you Danielle lol no-one else is so open about liking him ... that might be due to no-one else actually liking him lol you'll agree with me when i say ... no-one else we know or at our school really likes his music or him AT ALL

they're into club music and stuff ... and bloomin' RIHANNA! lol if i hear "umbrella" one more time, i swear i'll stick one right up her ... oops i'm rambling
    I've got those hup, two, three, four, occupation G.I. Blues, From my G.I. hair to the heels of my G.I. shoes

whey! lol yes you did and i thankyou for printing them! everyone keeps looking at them and laughing and going "i take it you like elvis?" some people are a bit harsher but i really don't care anymore!

same with you Danielle lol no-one else is so open about liking him ... that might be due to no-one else actually liking him lol you'll agree with me when i say ... no-one else we know or at our school really likes his music or him AT ALL

they're into club music and stuff ... and bloomin' RIHANNA! lol if i hear "umbrella" one more time, i swear i'll stick one right up her ... oops i'm rambling
    Lol, glad you like them !!

It's true, tis very VERY annoying that song...GRRRR !! Why people don't like him, beats me, but at the end of the day we are the fans and we love him no matter what !!

Lol, glad you like them !!

It's true, tis very VERY annoying that song...GRRRR !! Why people don't like him, beats me, but at the end of the day we are the fans and we love him no matter what !!

couldn't agree more .. and when they're ready to listen to GOOD music, i'll be sitting here, waiting

Quote Originally Posted by lawdy_missclawdy View Post
    Well, when I first became an Elvis fan, and got it out to people, it was amazing. I felt so good about myself, and I had my father who supported me, and a huge Elvis fan as well. My father and I were like ying and yang. Best friends ever. We also planned a big trip to Memphis, when he suddenly died six months ago. 42 years old, same mysterical way as Elvis.

Now Elvis is a huge secret to me. My family associates Elvis with my father, so I also listen to Elvis on my mp3, because I don't wanna upset them and make them sad. And I just started a new school, and I know what hell I went through with my last school. When they first found out I was a fan, they would stop in the cafeteria, pointing fingers at me. But they accepted it, and it was all good.

Now I'm afraid the same thing will happen to me in my new school. That they'll have trouble accepting it. Plus I have to hide Elvis from my closest family as well. It makes me so sad, because I love Elvis so much.

I had trouble listening to Elvis as well after my father died. Every song reminded me of the good times we had. But me and my family decided to go to Memphis anyway, because that was his biggest wish in life. I wanted him to see Graceland through my eyes. We had a really nice time, but it was also very emotionel. I was mourning not only over Elvis, but also my beloved dad.

And after the time in Memphis, I realized that my love for Elvis just kept growing, and now I, once again, can't go through a day without listening to his music. Now I just feel that I have to do it secretly.

This was really hard for me to write, but Elvis-friends, you're all I really have in my love for Elvis. I hope that my story didn't scare you away. I sometimes compare myself to Lisa Marie. She lost her father in a young age as well. Even though she's a lot older than me now, I still knows how she feels when I see interviews with her, or when I see her duets with Elvis.

Thanks for reading.
    Hi Isabella.
    Thank you for replaying...
    I am so sorry to hear that for your father......I hope you are OK now.
    You wrote a wonderful and sincere post.
    Just keep on mind that we will be always here when you will need us
    Take care,

Marija

yes there are always people who say "he died on the toilet" or "his music sucks" .. but i tend to ignore them, because for the latter, Elvis has contibuted more to music than 1977 onwards in my opinion! 2 people that really matter to me at school have nothing against my slight elvis obsession, in fact one of them likes elvis too (but not to my extent)

i thought i was completely alone in liking Elvis (at our school), but then Danielle said she did too so its all good

LOL !!

LOL, you two are crazy (in a good way) hehe ...
    always...ALWAYS making me laugh
    And you are happy that you have each other too
    I hope i will find someone that will like Elvis in my school...or maybe, just maybe transform someone into a fan lol

to you both,

Marija

Quote Originally Posted by lawdy_missclawdy View Post

Thanks for reading.
    Isabella...bless your little heart! You have had a hard time of it haven't you? My deepest and most heartfelt sympathies to you and your family over the loss of someone so dear to you.

Keep on with the "King" babe...soak up all of the joy that you can derive from his music! There is so much to learn about him...even the fans who have been around forever, are still learning new things. It is a great hobby, and a wonderful way to meet nice people. There is a legacy with Elvis...and it's one to be proud of. So put it out there...enjoy it...and smile! You are loved honey...

Elvisly,

Queenie...

Oh yeah...and by the way...lol...I'm an older chick and I still drive around blasting EP's music from all of my speakers...! My faves to drive to are "Patch It Up", and "A Big Hunk O' Love"....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12