Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Revelations From The Memphis Mafia

Mad Tigers

Revelations From The Memphis Mafia

Sorry if this has been posted before, i just couldnt see it.
    What do you think of the book?
    Is it worth reading?
    Opinions please.....

It's okay.

It's too long though, and is taken directly from taped conversations with the MM.

Some fans will automatically poo-poo it because it's from the MM, but these blinkered fans therefore miss out on a more rounded portrayal of the man and his life.

There are some good stories, some bad, some in between. It doesn't exactly add much of anything to the story though.

But ... just like What Happened and, yes, even the Goldman book! ... there are truths to be found among the dross.

If you can pick up a cheap, second-hand copy, grab it.
    Last edited by Getlo; 09-07-2007 at 11:07 PM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    It's okay.

It's too long though, and is taken directly from taped conversations with the MM.

Some fans will automatically poo-poo it because it's from the MM, but these blinkered fans therefore miss out on a more rounded portrayal of the man and his life.

There are some good stories, some bad, some in between. It doesn't exactly add much of anything to the story though.

But ... just like What Happened and, yes, even the Goldman book! ... there are truths to be found amonng the dross.

If you can pick up a cheap, second-hand copy, grab it.
    Very true statement if I've ever read one concerning this book and the Memphis Mafia ...

I recently saw the paperback version in a Books A Million book store for just about ($)10 American dollars.

IMHO, worth it.

Coming On Strong
    One of the best books on Elvis out there, though Elvis does`nt exactly come out of it looking that good. I`ve read this book several times, and i always end up wondering why these guys stayed around E at all if he was as demanding and maniplitive as they say. I have never understood why Lamar Fike put up with the "fatty" insults for 20 years. Then again, maybe thats very naive of me.

It's my favorite Elvis book. I've read it about 50 times now. Sure they make E look bad sometimes, but for the most part they give reasons why E may have acted in a manner that some people don't like to read about, or just flatly refuse to believe E would do. Billy Smith seems to geniunly love his cousin so I don't think there are too many lies in it. They do some debunking of the Goldman book, which I hate, even though Lamar Fike did some work on, and they are always negative towards Cilla, which I have absolutly no problem with whatsoever.

I've read the book many times (yes, as others have said on here) there is sometimes a little too much info they reveal 'bout Elvis but I think it gives me a better perspective of Elvis as a human being.

Please, does anybody know if "Elvis and the Memphis Mafia" is the re-issue of "Revelations from the MM"?

Yes it is Tina..........Diane

Thank you very much Diane

thanks guys for posting these reviews, I want to get these books...I'm already expecting a few now in the mail.

You're very welcome Tina.

Diane

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    It's okay.

Were you here Getlo, under another name?

You know, I read this book.

They contradicted each other all the way through (telling) and it was all about them, justifying themselves (telling). People who are fans of the MM, I'll never forget it, one comment from a fan on AEK "That is what is great about the book, they contradict each other" .......grrrrrr

I have an adjective, shall keep it to myself.

Kim

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnpikeTaylor View Post
    i always end up wondering why these guys stayed around E at all if he was as demanding and maniplitive as they say.

You see, this is where your instincts come into play, Turnpike Taylor.

Because they are justifying themselves, and not telling stories through a person sitting back observing, but putting their own life history into their outlooks, and JUSTIFYING themselves (as I said), that is why, what you say, stands out like a sore thumb, to you, in my opinion. "I always end up wondering why these guys stayed around E at all if he was as demanding and manipulative as they say"

They shot themselves in the foot, (in my opinion) you picked it up!

Kim

TCB Mafia
    When I read this I got the feeling the members of the MM were trying to out do each other to prove who Elvis liked the most. 30 years after his death, they are still in competition. Good read otherwise with some interesting info.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    You see, this is where your instincts come into play, Turnpike Taylor.

Because they are justifying themselves, and not telling stories through a person sitting back observing, but putting their own life history into their outlooks, and JUSTIFYING themselves (as I said), that is why, what you say, stands out like a sore thumb, to you, in my opinion. "I always end up wondering why these guys stayed around E at all if he was as demanding and manipulative as they say"

They shot themselves in the foot, (in my opinion) you picked it up!

Kim
    In total agreement my friend!! If you give them enough rope...they hang their own selves!

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    When I read this I got the feeling the members of the MM were trying to out do each other to prove who Elvis liked the most. 30 years after his death, they are still in competition. Good read otherwise with some interesting info.
    Agreed rocknroll ...they still act as if it is a competition. Wonder if the phrase "grow up" has ever entered their minds???

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

TCB Mafia

I agree with you, I call it: "Empire Building".

They still do it, take cheap shots at each other. (Sorry folks, I won't say any more. It is just that it is sooooooooo wrong!).

Kim

Kimmi, don't you apologize for stating your opinions...that is why we are here! And I'm sure that there are many here who agree with you. I know I DO!

Hugs....

Loving elvis
    l don't like the mm, elvis was better off without them using and abusing him.

TCB Mafia
    Something I've always wondered:

Was Vernon considered a member of the Memphis Mafia? Thoughts?

Something I've always wondered:

Was Vernon considered a member of the Memphis Mafia? Thoughts?

rocknroll...this is a good question! I think that when Vernon married Dee, things changed between he and Elvis. They always loved each other, but there was a strain there between them. IMO, I wouldn't consider Vernon part of the MM. I think Vernon was standing in the shadows most of the time...trying to figure out how to control an uncontrollable situation WITH the MM. I think it is fair to say that there was "no love lost" between Vernon and many of the MM. Just my thoughts on it...

Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast